The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: Your Resurrection Preference
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Old System
28.13%
9 28.13%
Current System
31.25%
10 31.25%
Other
40.63%
13 40.63%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Resurrection
I still side with Grak in the idea that "It's your character, you choose when to retire." Some deaths I've seen have been spur the moment or accidental. I think people have become a little less crazy with the character warnings, though I think new people may have a harder time understand (I for example didn't know that I could actually choose to run away from a demon hunter when I encountered and I thought I couldn't because he could outrun me and stuff. I didn't know you could choose to leave any situation as soon as it came up. This was when I was new).

I feel like, as mentioned, if you want death to be more brutal then it should be up to yourself personally because no one says you have to follow these minimum guidelines. You could always push it a bit more. I just don't get how it should bother other people what someone does with their characters.
(12-22-2011, 03:39 AM)Whym Wrote: Personally, I'd disallowed resurrections entirely.

So I'm in for the old system. Death is daily, make your lifetime count and by that way, your death aswell.

This doesn't work, though, with.... four, is it? Four classes that have abilities in-game that brings people back to life. Themselves, in some cases. Paladins, Priests, Druids and Shamans.

I'm personally all for the current system, siding with Grakor regarding not wanting to tell people that they can't play their characters anymore.

Ultimately, whatever happens to their characters is up to them.

But, I also agree with Reigen regarding a stricted approval system for resurrections and I know we've discussed this before.

EDIT: Reigen reminded me of Soulstones. So, five classes. Warlocks too.

<.<''
Quote:This doesn't work, though, with.... four, is it? Four classes that have abilities in-game that brings people back to life. Themselves, in some cases. Paladins, Priests, Druids and Shamans.

Those are just game mechanics, my friend. And game mechanics shouldn't be mixed up with roleplaying, if you want to keep things realistic. Like I said, Some of the greatest heroes of Azeroth only recieved burial, instead of ressurection, so why would a some unknown person get a greatest ritual ever, and be brought back to life?

Still. I have a little suggestion, if the revivals are unlimited. It's about the state of the body itself. For example, if the corpse is burned, so not even necromancers can actually raise something mindless from a pile of ash, or a badly scroched body. If the character is beheaded, how is he going to live without a head? And so on. I, of course don't really expect this to happen, because even in the old system, I remember week-old corpses, that were burried (and should be badly rotten), gets revived without any physical drawbacks? Have the body simply de-rotted? Or have the body magically reasembled from dust, just as someone started calling his soul back?

Note: It is true that it is in-game mechanics that shouldn't be confused with roleplaying. However, due to server policy, we do make everything in the spellbooks accessible ICly. So if the spellbook says that it's possible, it is. How difficult it is to perform, however, is a whole other matter.

Point it... It's possible. While there are several figures in lore that die very gruesome deaths and rarely, if ever, come back to life, it conflicts with our policies. (I do firmly believe that the only reason why lore figures aren't revived, though, is because it's an awesome story element if they stay dead.)

I'll comment on the rest when I've had my dinner! *poofs*
Quote:I do firmly believe that the only reason why lore figures aren't revived, though, is because it's an awesome story element if they stay dead.

Indeed. And that does the same with our characters in our lore. Perma-death isn't so bad. Yes, it's true, that all the character development can be wasted, but at the same time, if that character had the reason to be revived, but simply couldn't, he would surely be remembered ICly. I do know how I felt, when I lost my first character in an RP server, but since he was quite an IC hero, other characters did talk about him. And hearing IC things about your character that passed can easily make you all fuzzy in your heart (well, at least for me it was like that).
I enjoy the newer system simply for the fact that it makes life less stressful and I don't like killing people's characters and telling them that they cannot use them anymore. My problem with this emphasis on death is that I don't feel like people are getting creative. Death is not the only way to progress a storyline or a character. There are many other things that can happen plot-wise between the forces of good and evil to make a character grow. I'm not saying death should be ignored, but rather not always the first option. People tend to get a bit trigger happy on the internet with killing.

This brings me to my second point. If we go back to the old system (and I know, cause I was here,) you'll have so much drama because of characters being hunted down and systematically killed. People will do this. And it will totally happen. "Aww dude! So and so is totally out of rezzes, let's finish him!" I see this happening and the memories are not fond ones.

It made roleplay very not fun when there were no rezzes at all and people legitmately stalked my character and killed everyone they made friends with because they were either lucky with rolls or benefited from being a rogue on a FFA PvP server haha. Bye bye friends. T-T

Things are peaceful right now, I can understand people wanting there to be more strictly enforced drawbacks or whatever, but going back to the old policy, in my opinion, would be horrible. (Pleasegodno)

<3
[Image: Lirshar_zpscaa814f0.png]
I am uncertain where it came in that death damages a soul, outside of nasty soul-damaging warlock magics. It's a natural process, part of the ciiiiircle of liiiiiife and all that. Do souls enter the afterlife screwed up? What kind of after life is that?

I mean, would Grandpa Shaman be good enough to stick around and give advice for Junior Shaman if his soul was all banged up?

As well, I always viewed divine types of resurrection as just asking if someone would like to return. Door's open, come on in.

Of course, the body is a totally different issue, though again...it's the Light. The very force of creation, and if it can bring back limbs willy nilly, like it's been stated on here, why can it not heal the damage from a death? Even for the soul, seeing as many hints as there are that the "good" side of the Light oversees that, for lack of a better word.

This is probably my brain going every-which-way and thinking too deeply into plain ol' server policy.

But, yeah. I'm ok with the policy we have now. I love death for character development on a psychological and spiritual level.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
10/20/40/80 Permadeath odds sounds neat to me, as does a res-approval system. Perhaps all the awesome forum helpers could be pinned with that to, as they love work.*snicker* Anyway, whatever ends up being the system, I don't think it's a major concern in high fantasy, indeed.
Spoiler:
[Image: Boys.jpg]
(12-22-2011, 10:14 AM)Cookie Wrote:
Quote:This doesn't work, though, with.... four, is it? Four classes that have abilities in-game that brings people back to life. Themselves, in some cases. Paladins, Priests, Druids and Shamans.

Those are just game mechanics, my friend. And game mechanics shouldn't be mixed up with roleplaying, if you want to keep things realistic. Like I said, Some of the greatest heroes of Azeroth only recieved burial, instead of ressurection, so why would a some unknown person get a greatest ritual ever, and be brought back to life?

Still. I have a little suggestion, if the revivals are unlimited. It's about the state of the body itself. For example, if the corpse is burned, so not even necromancers can actually raise something mindless from a pile of ash, or a badly scroched body. If the character is beheaded, how is he going to live without a head? And so on. I, of course don't really expect this to happen, because even in the old system, I remember week-old corpses, that were burried (and should be badly rotten), gets revived without any physical drawbacks? Have the body simply de-rotted? Or have the body magically reasembled from dust, just as someone started calling his soul back?

Game mechanics are not disqualified over realism in a game with a planet like -Outland- being HABITABLE.

Furthermore, several times resurrection abilities are used in game quests, cutscenes and lore. In fact, a certain Aldor quest chain comes to mind where the LEAD ANCHORITE OF THE ALDOR IS KILLED BY AN EREDAR. And then she's resurrected afterwards and everything is cool.

Warcraft 3 also had the resurrection ability, so this isn't even something new to the MMO setting. It's been floating around Warcraft lore for a long time.

Furthermore, WoW makes it clear that the only things that can be resurrected are those with strong enough spirits to persist beyond death. That's why they have to return to their corpse and "retrieve" it. Player characters are generally meant to be strong-spirited, will of iron badasses. Of course, you don't have to RP them that way. If you want, you can RP your guy as a Joe Schmoe NPC who dies once and that's the end of him. It's ultimately your choice, and trying to force players hands on death over rule of drama is a poor judgement to make, because not all of us are here for drama, or at the least, not here for THAT sort of drama.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
(12-22-2011, 10:57 AM)DaveM Wrote: 10/20/40/80 Permadeath odds sounds neat to me, as does a res-approval system. Perhaps all the awesome forum helpers could be pinned with that to, as they love work.*snicker* Anyway, whatever ends up being the system, I don't think it's a major concern in high fantasy, indeed.

-twitches-

-sobs bitterly-

[But in reality any sort of approval would likely be GM approved only.]

Quote: it can bring back limbs willy nilly

[Image: AreYouKiddingMeBlackSS.png]
I'm not kidding. Server policy says we can regrow limbs. Which I am for, since the Light is supposed to be the miracle-worker divine intervention magic it is. Other magics can do it too, but I'm a Lighty.

High Fantasy, yo.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
In Warcraft lore, the Light only heals wounds. It fastens the regeneration of cells, but does that in great pain. However, Druids can regrow limbs.
(12-22-2011, 11:28 AM)Cookie Wrote: In Warcraft lore, the Light only heals wounds. It fastens the regeneration of cells, but does that in great pain. However, Druids can regrow limbs.

As I've always said.

Show me a canon source that says "The Light can only do X while Nature Magic can do all of Y."

If you can, I'll happily oblige to say that The Light is lesser in terms of healing, but until there I assume they are on-par with one another.
Considering a paladin and priest heals the tank getting hit with boiling blood/lava/spikes/giant hammers/swords/magic explosions just as well as the druid and shaman, I would say they are in fact, equal.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resurrection?? GladiusGamer 4 945 06-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Last Post: GladiusGamer
  Warlock Soul Self Resurrection.. CallMeMelissa 4 1,171 07-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Bovel
  Suicide Resurrection MrCandlejack 27 3,257 06-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Harmonic
  Battle System / Alternate Resurrection garrett 43 6,817 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM