The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Retail style RP = spamming.
Hey all, I'm new to the server, but I've already run into an issue. Within my first hour so of actual RP time on the server, I realized something pretty huge: Retail style RP =/= CotH standards. It's not a problem at all, in fact, I'd say it's an extremely good thing, but it's something that is definitely worth mentioning to new players.

Let me preface by saying I did read the wikis and forum stickies and not one thing mentioned that default "/emotes" (/nod, /smile, etc.) which are more than necessary in retail RP due to the scrolling speed of general and trade chat, are not useful at all here and in fact count as spam. New players, before you even START RPing, know that CotH does not require constant speech in order to get your character's actions across before trade chat knocks it too far up to be reclaimable.

Instead of complaining, I'm just appealing to any new players that if you use the WoW default /emotes as I did in a large majority of my time spent RPing on retail servers, it's a good idea to stop that and start getting more detailed. I would, however, like to mention to the GM community that it is in fact not mentioned that this is a form of spamming... From the wiki:

Quote:A: In the context of chat, spam (or the act of spamming) is placing a large amount of text in the chat window in a short time, filling up the chat window and making it move quickly, making it difficult for others to keep up and generally annoying people.

I absolutely understand that too many lines of text is a problem, and I'll definitely rework my thought processes pertaining to the /emote system, but I wasn't aware that what I felt were legitimate uses of the /emote system was, in fact, spamming. The CotH standard of "overuse" is near underuse in cities on any retail server, and I was simply uninformed, so maybe a small addendum is in order. [[EDIT: A good example would be the inclusion of mentioning that more than one or two useful /emotes in a row is probably too many. Those two can be put into one detailed non-default and then everyone's happy.]]

Again, I respect the living hell out of the creators and leaders of the server for allowing people to join a legitimate RP server rather than the grief-ridden locations available to normal WoW players, but I feel that it's definitely something worth mentioning.

I really hope this didn't seem like a drama post, I tried my best not to point any fingers or complain. Simple misunderstandings and easy resolutions for the win. :D
I think this is good to point out and I agree with you. Not that all /emotes are bad; sometimes you want the animation to go along with it. (If only WoW allowed you to run the animation without the rest of the emote attributes.)

Too keep from relying on them so much, one should also think these pre-installed emotes don't do their character justice, so they should go about another way to illustrate their character /peering searchingly at you or some such.

I haven't seen this done much, but I have seen one or two newcomers lay on the premade emotes pretty thick a while back.
˜★Sketch Blog
The reason you were booted was because you did it like, 4 times. Then, when I asked you to stop, you did it again. It was just a warning, nothing to freak out about. And, this was spam, because if you were going to nod to so many people, you could have done it in one post.

As for "Retail RP style" and such. WE ARE NOT RETAIL. Never will be, never -should- be.

Edit: I'm glad that you guys agree. It's one of those things that people have been saying lately that annoys me, "well, well, I did it on retail!!".
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Like I mentioned, I'm not looking for OOC drama. If you look above, not once did I mention anything about what had happened, but decided to make a helpful post rather than a complaint about unfair GM treatment. In my post, I intentionally did not once bring up that I'd been, as you say, "warned" or "booted" so that I'd avoid having a hand in this kind of drama. When I was kicked, I hardly "freaked out" about it and, in fact, what you call "asking me to stop" was a vague "knock it off" in a separate chat channel that I didn't know was even directed to me until after the fact. A whispered and personal explanation of what was wrong with the way I was RPing would have been far better treatment of a day old player than a vague "stop it" and a server kick. Even here on the forums, your post was hardly constructive and unfairly worded.

I'm still learning how to let my guard down while RPing, coming from a not very RP-happy retail experience. Now, I respect everything that's been done to make this server RP-friendly, but it needs to be people-friendly first and the last people I should be worried about while RPing are the GMs. Making knee-jerk responses like your post above in reply to my post that might actually have made a difference in the first place is not a very good way of creating a friendly atmosphere. I'm only looking to make friends here, not cause problems. If you as a GM are supposed to be representative of the server's leadership and act as a helpful member of the community, you could go about it in a much better way.

[[Edited for readability]]

[[Addendum: And just out of fairness and to reiterate, I have modified my RP style to be much slower and readable as a result of all of this. I'm not trying to change the policy, I'm just trying to make the policy easier to understand for people who come from having to make quick /emotes in order to get their action across.]]
The server have just been through a "Clean Up" we have had a large amount of "bad" role player and people with very... annoying OOC attitude. I hope you understand if GMs and older players can be a little frustrated and easily get irritated at "newbs" that do a lot of mistakes.

And to place about four /nod and three /bow in a row would be considered spam on any retail server I´ve been on. If it says "no spam" I am pretty sure the majority understands that we don´t want -any- spam.

No offence meant, its great that you try to improve, this server has developed my own Role-play more than anything.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Nostra Wrote:The server have just been through a "Clean Up" we have had a large amount of "bad" role player and people with very... annoying OOC attitude. I hope you understand if GMs and older players can be a little frustrated and easily get irritated at "newbs" that do a lot of mistakes.

And to place about four /nod and three /bow in a row would be considered spam on any retail server I´ve been on. If it says "no spam" I am pretty sure the majority understands that we don´t want -any- spam.

No offence meant, its great that you try to improve, this server has developed my own Role-play more than anything.

Heh, I absolutely understand. From parties to guilds to entire servers, everything needs a little cleaning up now and again. And to be completely honest, I never RPed with anyone that's actually good at doing it, so newbie mistakes (like overusing emotes to convey uncomfortability instead of "/me eyes everyone cautiously and politely backs out while making a quick turn and exit,") were never corrected and I'm having a bit of a time getting used to finally fixing them. Just like any born-again RPer, I'm still a little self-conscious and the exchange here wasn't very reassuring, but no offense taken and no harm done.
I didn't mean to come off hostile, and I'm sorry if I did. :p I was simply explaining why I booted ya, and really, it's no big deal. Next time, before it comes to that, I'll be a little more specific with what/who I'm talking about.

Again, it's good to see that your looking at this in a positive manner, and it's good that your recognize this to be something that does put us appart from retail.

And I'll admit, I'm still getting adjusted to the fact that a lot of the really problematic people are now gone, and things are getting a little smoother.

Not to mention, it makes me really, -really- happy to see new people that actually try hard to be intelligent, and actually read stuff, and convey what they want to say without having to use abbreviations or leetspeak.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Rensin Wrote:I didn't mean to come off hostile, and I'm sorry if I did. :p I was simply explaining why I booted ya, and really, it's no big deal. Next time, before it comes to that, I'll be a little more specific with what/who I'm talking about.

Again, it's good to see that your looking at this in a positive manner, and it's good that your recognize this to be something that does put us appart from retail.

And I'll admit, I'm still getting adjusted to the fact that a lot of the really problematic people are now gone, and things are getting a little smoother.

Not to mention, it makes me really, -really- happy to see new people that actually try hard to be intelligent, and actually read stuff, and convey what they want to say without having to use abbreviations or leetspeak.

Apology accepted without question. :D I must admit, I didn't expect such a turn around, and I was wrong to judge, so I'm sorry as well. I really appreciate the opportunity to explain myself; most places would probably have banned me already, hehe.
Well, heh, one of the things people forget is that I am human, and I do this for fun. It's one of those types of things, that if I come off as mean, I don't intend it. And, if I boot someone, it's not really anything personal. That's why I say "it's no big deal", especially if you have full intent on following the rules and such.

Now, if someone were to bend the rules, be obnoxious and such with it, and just generally ignore everything that I or any of the other GMs say to them, I will be harsh.

But, obviously, this wasn't the case. Don't be discouraged to roleplay, because that really wasn't my intention. We are a very open and welcoming server, especially when it comes to people that are really striving to succeed here, such as yourself.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinpost, A CoTH-style Blog Harmonic 8 1,785 04-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Harmonic
  Greetings from retail! gman12 4 786 01-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Last Post: gman12
  Calling those who play retail... Kretol 20 4,123 05-31-2010, 12:05 AM