The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Rigley's Answer-Blog
So, this is something I've been meaning to do for a while.

It's like Open Office, but on the forums!

I want questions. Questions about policies in their reasoning, questions for clarifications, etc. I want to attempt to air out confusion, and provide a location for these questions to be seen and their answers taken in.

To clarify, this is not the venue to argue rules. I will attempt to explain these rules in my fullest capacity, but I will not argue over changing whether X class is playable or Y offense is viable here. That's for private discussion or PMs. That being said, feel free to inquire further if you feel my answer isn't sufficient in some way or another.

I'll likely begin a list of questions and answers in this initial post once enough have been fielded.

Ask away!
What rules when broken are considered "Instant ban"? Also, what are the steps that lead up to a banning? I've always found that to be something that needs to be heavily clarified, mostly because it's difficult to understand what constitutes a banning and what doesn't.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

(03-13-2013, 08:44 AM)Rensin Wrote: What rules when broken are considered "Instant ban"? Also, what are the steps that lead up to a banning? I've always found that to be something that needs to be heavily clarified, mostly because it's difficult to understand what constitutes a banning and what doesn't.

-Breaches that result in instant bans are generally those that strike a 'zero tolerance' policy. More often than note these deal with topics of racism, sexism, or otherwise are derogatory to another person for things such as their nationality or sexual orientation.

-Excessive rude behavior can also constitute this, but it tends to be less cut and dry and depends on the severity of the comments-- to which I assume you might be able to understand. Essentially the difference between calling someone an [insert expletive here] and going on a tirade about how X person is a [expletive] and should be [expletive] with a [expletive] until their [expletive] [expletive] [expletive] [expletive].

-Plagiarism is an instaban offense, and that's fairly cut and dry.

-Trolling from new players generally falls under this as well, since such behavior from someone who just joined tends to be indicative of why they're here. Not always, but it is often a matter that can end up with a ban depending on severity.

-Also rolled into this are exploits (the kind performed with other programs, not 'buying something that sells for twice its buy value'). These are handled by an automatic process though, and can be revoked easily if there's a simple mistake involved.

Please Note: There is certainly the possibility that these have been breached in the past without ending in an instaban, but this is a matter of us not being able to see every detail of what goes on on a daily basis. Funny enough, we're currently having talks about how to improve how the team performs in this regard.

Please respond if any of these need clarification!
That makes sense, but what about the steps to a ban? Like... I guess a better way would be, what constitutes warnings, up to suspensions, then to bans? Is it solely based on amount of junk in a warning thread, or is it case to case? And if so, what do you look for based on the case to case basis?

If someone does something that "cinches the deal", so to speak... does that necessarily mean the same punishment would be doled out to everyone that does this?

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

(03-13-2013, 09:22 AM)Rensin Wrote: That makes sense, but what about the steps to a ban? Like... I guess a better way would be, what constitutes warnings, up to suspensions, then to bans? Is it solely based on amount junk in a warning thread, or is it case to case? And if so, what do you look for based on the case to case basis?

If someone does something that "cinches the deal", so to speak... does that necessarily mean the same punishment would be doled out to everyone that does this?

-Steps to a ban generally run in a three-step process. This constitutes a warning, a 3-day suspension, and then a permaban.

-That being said, an array of warnings can come between, if offenses are minor enough. Essentially we don't rush immediately from a warning to a suspension; if someone is just making many small errors they're not going to get thrown out on their face for it. On the other hand, someone who comes about and creates large issues regularly would be jumping from step to step quickly.

-With that noted, it's probably best explained as a case-by-case basis, yes. Some people have been banned with three or four posts in a thread (in most extreme cases-- usually one involving an instaban like described in my last post), or can run a few pages before a permaban is discussed.

-Regarding the last note there, I'm not -fully- sure of what you mean by that. All I can say is that depending on where a player's current standing is, a notable incident could either be a ban, warning or suspension, comparing their behavior in the past. Unless, as noted above, there's a zero-tolerance issue breached.

As noted previously, we've had some note that this system is inefficient (in my own opinion it is as well), though for reasons that I've likely not fully covered in this post. We're hoping a more precise procedure can be worked out though, and if we do end up with something we'll make sure to make that noted publicly.
Thanks, that actually covered that last question too!

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

While the language rule covers chat channels, should it possibly be extended to large, mixed-groups like raids and events?

Spoiler:
Should rape jokes or any casual throwing-around of the word in raid chat also be considered an issue?

Sorry if this question is a bit too much. q.q
(03-13-2013, 09:56 AM)Wuvvums Wrote: While the language rule covers chat channels, should it possibly be extended to large, mixed-groups like raids and events?

Spoiler:
Should rape jokes or any casual throwing-around of the word in raid chat also be considered an issue?

Sorry if this question is a bit too much. q.q

-Language rules apply to any 'public' channel of communication. We can't tell you what to say in whispers or party chats, but if there's an event you're hosting with any coming in, it applies.

-As well, jokes of that sort of nature would indeed be considered a serious issue. Depending on the nature of the joke it may even fall under a zero tolerance policy. In general, don't do them, at all. They're not acceptable in any form, and should be reported if seen.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rigley's Cataclysmic Interest Inventory - Round 1 Rigley 27 4,184 05-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Rigley
  Rigley's Event Interest Inventory, Part Whichever Rigley 34 5,457 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Last Post: CappnRob
  Rigley Ramble (Sorta): On Stagnation Rigley 31 6,111 10-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Rigley
  Rigley is Adrift Rigley 6 1,655 10-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Last Post: CappnRob
  Rigley Rambles on: Decisions! (Please Post!) Rigley 11 2,243 08-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Dae