The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Ritual of Summoning/ Summon Friend available to everyone?
Now, I know the Ritual of Summoning is intended for Warlocks only, but since its design is ultimately for OoC purposes, it would be really great to be able to summon over some friends to where you're RPing without having to bother a GM or wait for them to travel all the way there. It just seems so darn useful!

Likewise, if possible, (Lord knows how that all works server-side) being able to use the Summon friend spell would be an even easier way of getting people to and fro with little hassle for RP goodness.
Or maybe the summon command given to the players bit twisted a but just so it would send the summoned a message asking for permission. We don't want it to be abused, do we?

Seen that on another server, so I think it would be possible. /shrug

Good idea I guess, nothing wrong with that.
I'd just be happy if they showed up with a good reason for being where I am. No need to be connected at the hip. There are plenty of people out there to RP with.
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
Quote:Now, I know the Ritual of Summoning is intended for Warlocks only, but since its design is ultimately for OoC purposes...

I've seen it used IC, and I don't see why it can't be used IC. It may not be something that can be summoned up easily and casually, but like mage portals it should be just as available for players.

That being said it wouldn't be useful OOCly if you have a one on one rp. I also don't see the benefit of having summoning when we have portals, and flying just about everywhere (even in the BElf/Draenei starting zones). My first thought is that this can be abused, especially if players wanted to do something like drag others out of rp, or drop them from the sky and kill them. I don't know if it can be "programmed" to have a permission box first. Would this offer anything other than saving a few minutes traveling to an rp location OOC?
I do not think we'll be handing out spells of other classes to everyone. Not to mention for Ritual of Summoning you need two other people with you for it to function. I also don't think we'll be handing out a summoning command either, largely for the reasons Wuvvums listed. It's far too easy to be abused.

It's not hard to get places now. There are multipul ways to travel, most of it for free beyond buying the mount. First you have the OOC Portal system which can land you pretty close to where you need to go more often than not. Flight points can all be accessed using the .taxi system and everyone can train to ride and fly right off the get-go. Remember, you need to have money on you to use the flight paths, but it will not subtract it from your balance. At least, it shouldn't. [If it does someone should point that out to Kret.]

I'll also point out its not a good idea to ask a GM to come over just to summon someone anyway. We're here to help with lore-related things as well as aid with events. While we do summon people over when we start up RP, we shouldn't be used as a taxi because someone didn't want to run to a location. [This isn't directed at you Dae, just a general PSA because this happens to me far more than it should.]

However, in the end that's up to Kretol, as he's the only one who can make the edits you mentioned if you he thinks they're a good idea.
Not really fond of the idea either, but I'm not going into a post at length on an iPod.

Will elaborate later. O 3O
There isn't always a GM available to help. It could serve other purposes to help other players who are stuck for whatever reason. It would reduce that annoying travel/fly time for someone like me who's client is more prone to lag, hanging, and crashing due to my slow dialup connection.

I support this thread.

Edit: On retail people who have eachother's battle.net IDs can summon eachother and it pops up with a permission box. It has to be possible somehow.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
Quote:Edit: On retail people who have eachother's battle.net IDs can summon eachother and it pops up with a permission box. It has to be possible somehow.

Eeeeh...

No, it doesn't guarantee that it'd be possible. -Especially- since it hinges off of using a system that relies on Battle.net. In any case this would (I'm almost certain) have to be something that the devs of the core would have to work on.

Anyways.

I don't really care much for the idea; as others have noted we do have quite a few ways to get around at present. I kinda feel that if this is really a great necessity, it might be less that and just... people choosing very out of the way RP spots S:

If it isn't on the teleporter, request for it to be added. But I think most areas I've seen people in are easily accessible through .taxi, the OOC portal, or so on. I'm hard-pressed to think of an instance otherwise.
(05-12-2013, 05:40 AM)Wuvvums Wrote:
Quote:Now, I know the Ritual of Summoning is intended for Warlocks only, but since its design is ultimately for OoC purposes...

I've seen it used IC, and I don't see why it can't be used IC. It may not be something that can be summoned up easily and casually, but like mage portals it should be just as available for players.
I never said it couldn't be used ICly. I was stating more that it seems to have been implemented in the game for OoC utility more than for the sake of capturing the flavor of a warlock. And I only point this out because this design for OoC usage makes it so useable.

(05-12-2013, 05:40 AM)Wuvvums Wrote: That being said it wouldn't be useful OOCly if you have a one on one rp. I also don't see the benefit of having summoning when we have portals, and flying just about everywhere (even in the BElf/Draenei starting zones). My first thought is that this can be abused, especially if players wanted to do something like drag others out of rp, or drop them from the sky and kill them. I don't know if it can be "programmed" to have a permission box first. Would this offer anything other than saving a few minutes traveling to an rp location OOC?

The Ritual of Summoning doesn't snatch people from nowhere; unless CotH's implementation of the spell differs greatly from retail, you have to be in the party or raid, and the people doing the summoning can only offer the summons; a user must accept the summons before they're actually teleported.

That being said, the spell is in use and available to all warlock characters, but I at least haven't heard of it being abused at present. If it were really that much an OoC bother, why would the ability not be blocked off from everybody? (I know we've done that in the past with certain spell effects, like the flaming piccolo making everyone burst into dance emotes)

Also, with non-druid characters, until you're profiled, flying mounts and taxis seem difficult to make use of; without the ability to loot corpses in the Cata server, one basically has to just look around for quests that don't involve drop items and give a decent amount of money to get you started, unless they borrow gold from other users or their other, already profiled characters. Unless, of course, we want to give players some starting gold upon character creation, but that seems like it has a much greater potential for exploitation than this spell.

Ultimately, yes, this would save time, but it would also save frustration of potentially getting lost, having to stop and give directions OoCly... (yes, I'm that bad with directions and have to ask twice at times)
It just seems to me that having this spell available (with the clear understanding that it is ICly accessable only to warlocks and accepted special profile characters that explicitly state that they have this ability) would promote more diverse RP locations, seeing as long as you have at least three people out there already. Or even just one-on-one RP, and you bring a dual-boxed character along for OoC utility. I find it a lot easier to start up random RP when its easy for people to join.

The process goes from "/whisper McUrist "Take the portal to Ironforge, taxi to so-and-so, and fly South and follow the edge of the canyon until you see a tiny encampment looking out on nowhere, we should be on the map." to "/invite McUrist" *wait a half a minute for coordinating the summoning spell OoCly* *request summons for McUrist.* Not to mention, the latter half would work for everyone for the next few minutes who wanted to join in with little hastle.

Also, I really don't like bothering GMs unnecessarily. GMs tend to also be some of our most active Roleplayers, and I'm not really keen on making them have to lose the momentum of an RP to 'port me around, even if that's part of the job description. :P
I don't think this would be abused as people think it would be. Or even giving us the teleport command would be a nice thing to have, really. Like with anything else, -if- it comes down to people abusing it, don't be afraid to say something to them, yeah?

Seems like we are too scared of "What could happen" and such, instead of dealing with it when/if it happens.

Yes, this would be pretty darn helpful. For anyone. As a GM, would you guys say that the teleport command is helpful not only for GM stuff, but when trying to get to a place to RP?

Edit: Come to think of it, now I'm more suprised that we don't have the .tp command and we have the .add items command.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

It seems like there's a big fear of "what if someone abuses it" rather than a "if someone abuses it, how will we punish them". Just to me it makes it seem like we can't have more nice things because of the "what if".

... I mean we have some nice things. But we could do more to take some workloads off GMs.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
This would be neat, I guess, but I don't think it's something we actually need. It's easy enough to get around the world with flying mounts and the OOC portals.
Quote:without the ability to loot corpses in the Cata server,

If you're unable to loot corpses, that might be an issue on your end. I can't recall anyone else having that issue and I've done several quests involving looting and I can do it just fine. If other people are having this issue, I suggest making a bug reporting thread so we know whats up and others know not to bother!

Quote: and we have the .add items command.

You have the ability to add RP items, a specific range of item IDs, not actual items. RP items are on a different number scale that the command is able to pull up, where as real items have a different set of IDs that only GMs can add. .lo rp and .lo item pull up two different lists!

Quote:'port me around, even if that's part of the job description.

Porting people around/acting as a taxi actually isn't part of the job. A lot of us do it when we're not doing anything else because we like to be nice. If we start up RP, more often than not we'll do it as we're the RP organizers, same on if we join RP. If I'm busy or doing something else, I have ever right to tell them they need to find another way.

Quote:That being said, the spell is in use and available to all warlock characters, but I at least haven't heard of it being abused at present.

When we talk about abuse, we mean with a .summon command, with with the ritual of summoning. RoS, when a person is called, pops up to the targeted player with a box asking if they want to be summoned. They can decline it, so no abuse can actually happen with the spell. The summon command requires no consent on the players behalf, which is why it can be so easily abused.

This is, in the end up to Kretol however, as he is the only one who has the ability to add spells/make an item that would teach the spell. I'll see if I can draw his attention to here.
I believe ritual of summoning wouldn't work for all classes by the way, since it requires mana. Anyways when I was talking about abuse I was assuming the summon command (I don't like the idea of declaring a class ability OOC and giving it to everyone).
If it's abused, again, why couldn't the GM's handle it then instead of saying "We won't do this because it's a possibility"? I would think that'd be a better solution then to just say "No" to giving us a very, very handy command.

After having that command, honestly, can you say it's not the -most- useful one? Yes, we have portals and flightpaths, but it's nowhere near as quick as appearing to someone to RP. If people abuse it, it's easy to police.

*Shrugs*
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Traveler's Best Friend rentreality 1 624 09-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Maulbane