The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Roll combat and you.
Roll combat, and roll RP.

Welcome, both new and old players of CotH! My name is, of course, DrinkArizona and I'm going take a moment to go over the most common known combat method that people on Conquest of the Horde take.

You guessed it ladies and gentlemen, rolls! :D

Anyway, this guide is simply a suggestion as to how most players who do rolls, under no circumstances is it a rule to follow it. Let us begin!

The feature:
World of Warcraft comes with the /roll command, which generates a random number from 1-100. Of course, you can toggle the roll numbers (For example, /roll 1-9001) for different situations. This is very useful, because it can be used to solve many arguments. To decide who wins a hand of IC poker, or if that blazing bolt of fire immolates one's target. Why was it put in? Maybe for RP, or simply for convenience. Useful tool!

Combat:
The most important part of combat is, always remember to agree to terms beforehand!
For example: Jeh and Joh, two troll brothers decide to have a spar. The players OOCly contact each other to agree on the terms. Note: You don't necessarily have to whisper a player and go "Oh hey, I'm about to ambush you. What do you want the terms to be?"

What I'm trying to say is, you can ICly come to the point where you're about to find, so that's where I find it most comfortable to agree to the terms. Right, I'm talking to much.

What are these 'terms' I'm talking about? Well, mainly it's HP and special rules. I'll cover these later on.

HP:HP, or health points, determine how many hits your character can take before collapsing into a bloody mess. The number you and your fight partner determine decides on the fight's seriousness. If you agree to 3 HP each, then it's supposed to be a relatively short spar. If you want to do 10 HP each, then I'd assume it's a long, drawn out conflict that leaves room for IC RP, drama and all that fun stuff.

The amount of HP you decides generally how serious the fight is.

Special rules:
To add to realism, there's two main rules in a fight. Both of these can give an edge to a player.
Let me go over them:
Critical Strike:Such a well placed strike, surely it maimed the target worse then a regular attack did.
Does double damage. When an attacker rolls with a difference of 50 or more it is considered a critical strike, and therefore does double the damage. For example,

Rob slashes at Bob
<Rob rolls: 71>
<Bob rolls: 12>

Rob does double damage!

This skill proves fun to be RP'ed in these situations. You can say your character's blow was powerful, or that your character was striking for a knee-cap. Maybe your dwarf was day-dreaming about beer and got smacked upside the head?

The next one, and slightly more complicated one, would be the Counter attack!

This skill is to be reflected in that time where the attacker misses completely, and the other person uses that failure to their advantage. For example...
Rob digs his feet into the ground and skilfully jumps off the cliff, back arched, axe in both hands as he swings down on the Bob's head, attempting to completely cleave the orc in half.
<Rob rolls: 3>
<Bob rolls: 100>

Complete whiff! No matter how epic (Or attempted to be, anyway) that emote was, the roll says otherwise. Although Rob had it in mind to cleave an orc completely in half, fate (and rolls) suggested otherwise.

<The orc (Bob) steps to the side as he lifts his large club and attempts to hit the human, using the momentum of his failed attack to strike twice!>
And so forth.
A note on Counters. If a player counter-attacks, and then their first attack results in a whiff and a counter for the other player, for the sake of not counting so many damn counters, what I do is simply cancel them out. If it's the latter that whiffed, then it's not as hard to keep track (In my opinion) and counters would keep going. For example:
<Rob rolls: 2>
<Bob rolls: 56>
Bob attacks twice!
<Bob rolls: a 1 and a 35>
Rob gets to defend, and rolls a 76 for the first defense roll! Both counters are nullified and it is now Rob's turn to attack.

Last but not least, Initiative!
A very simple rule on determining who goes first. Before a fight, both parties roll an initiative roll to decide who goes first. If it is a team fight, then both parties agree to either sharing a team roll or individual rolls.

See? It's not as hard as it looks. Now, here's what a fight should look like:

Fanash, a blood elf, and Makkar, an orc, decide to settle their difference in the arena. They both whisper each other and settle to the following terms: 5 HP, (So they agreed to having five health points each), and to include both the Critical Strike special rule, and the Counter-attack rule.

Both parties roll for initiative. Fanash rolls a 56, while Makkar rolls a 39. Looks like the elf goes first!
Fanash grips his blade, and strikes at the orc in a horizontal strike.
<Fanash rolls: 48>
<Makkar rolls: 19>
Makkar takes a wound!
Makkar is enraged. He launches a flurry of axes at the elf's armor clad body.
<Makkar rolls: 89>
<Fanash rolls: 83>

D'aww! So close!
Looks like it's a tie now, but it's not over yet. Let's keep watching!
Fanash grits his teeth as the multiple axes contact with his body, surely leaving bruises on the inside. He swings down his claymore, in a diagonal manner.
<Fanash rolls: 9>

Uh-oh.
<Makkar rolls: 98>
Score! The orc counters!
Makkar slides to the side, then uses the failed attack to send his own, plated knee into the elf's stomach as he attempts to smash his plate-bound fist into his face.

<Makkar rolls: 89>
<Makkar rolls: 100>

<Fanash rolls: 3>
<Fanash rolls 39>

Ouch, that surely is a nasty hit.

Fanash is overcome with the sheer brutality of his opponent, and is sent into a minor KO. Looks like the fight is over!

And there you have it, folks! Roll combat, simplified.
Notes:
First: Usually the defender is the one to emote an attack's success or failure. For example, if it is a failure a character emotes how they dodged the hits or blocked it or whatever. If it is a successful hit, then that player is to show how the character is affected by the hit. I.E: Hand cut off, head cut off, bloody nose, lip, etc.

Second: I cannot stress this enough, please people...learn your character's limits! If you are knocked out by hitting your head against a stone surface, and I mean hard, then RP accordingly. I've seen it done quite frequently, where a person who just lost a fight simply gets up and acts like it's a normal thing. I may be a bit too quick to abuse some of my characters, but this is a rule I think we should all keep in mind.
The following is a personal opinion:
While on the same note, I'm not sure how much stamina your character has (I'm not one to dictate that, hehe) but, personally, I wouldn't fight three fights in a row (at least not with the same amount of HP.)
For example, if I were to start a fight , and lose, and the result of the loss is a bloody nose with some head injury, then I'd RP accordingly. You don't want to get your guts spilled on the floor then be in the arena fresh for another fight. If I ever do something similar, I deduce starting HP to represent them being tired or already wounded.

In the arena, Zerzeve has broken his nose after a very lengthy fight with an elf. He doesn't take the time to rest, and is being challenged by a human right after. So, the troll has two options: Jump in to defend his honor but take a sizeable minus to his HP, or simply ignore the wild man and go rest.

Depending on the main HP number, and the injury, I deduct some HP. Now, this is only a personal opinion, you don't have to do it, but it's something to keep in mind.

And there you have it! All feedback is welcome!
So Ivan say to me "Who was talking device then?"

And then Sergei say "But Ivan is dead"

That is when I realize Sergei was bear.
This gets the Pies thumbs up of approval and yay!

Great guide, Drink!
Jeneal jumps into the water. "HAHAHAHAHA!" She turns into a seal.
Quick question: Do you think it's fair for someone to just walk away after agreeing to a roll fight? I got into a scrap with an undead warlock the other day, 6hp, crit strike rule, but no counters. It was 6/6 to 3/6 in my favor and then he made up this spell (something about tentacles coming from the ground), at the same time 'blinking' to a spot behind me (I was blocking his exit from a small house. He ran past OOC, blinked IC. Also he was a warlock >.<) I won the roll on that spell and simply leaped over the tentacles, but because his exit was no longer blocked, he ran away to an area full of guards, making it impossible to continue the fight.

In summary, do you think it was fair of him to run away once it looked like he would lose, even after agreeing on a fight to the death? Especially seeing as he was a warlock, and by game mechanics, shouldn't have been able to blink. It was annoying at the time but I was in the mood to turn the other cheek.
That sounds like something you should bring up with a GM, Knock, I'm sure you don't mean it that way but it could cause a lot of drama, some people don't take such things well. I'm sure you understand.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Sure thing, that's why I didn't name names. I just wasn't sure if it should be considered a viable option in a fight. Feel free to delete my posts if you feel they may cause upset.
Thank you for posting this guide. I had my first "rollplay" yesterday and I find it to be a very useful system. Like many others have said, it prevents godmods and disagreements that happen in text fighting. Though I would have to say that the initiative roll should only be used in certain situations, like a face-off where the two characters can both see each other before any attacks are made. If one character was ambushing another character, the surprise attacker should get the first attack, a counter roll necessary on behalf of the one being attacked.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
BUUUMP!!!!!

Something that concerns me with roll fights, is that people don't really see the realistic viable options.
Imagine this fight between John and Mike. John is a full armored war-veteran, with a shield and a sword and Mike is a farmer without any fighting experience.

"Mike was disarmed by John, so instead he attempts to hit John in the stomach with his fist."
<Mike rolls 60>
<John rolls 35>

Even though that Mike won that roll, hitting a plate armor with your fists is not a very good idea.
People seem to make their emotes more realistic. A man with full armor -should- have an advantage over an unskilled fighter.

Let's say we have this other scenario, where it's a rogue fighting an unarmored man.
The rogue wears mostly leather and cloth, but the unarmored man is naked.

The unarmored man seems to be a high roller though, winning most of his rolls.
Let's say that the rogue rolls first.

"Rogue pulls out his knife and swings it horizontially at Naked Man's stomach."
<Rogue rolls 45>
<Naked Man rolls 60>

The right thing for the naked man to counter-emote is to say that he evaded the dagger, instead he wants to play all hard-core and emotes following:
"Naked man puts out his foot and it stops the blade, not harming the foot".

Get my point?

TL;DR: HAVE COMMON SENSE WHEN FIGHTING, REGARDING EQUIPMENT AND SKILL.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Realistic Combat for Dummies Grakor456 46 15,634 03-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Grakor456
  Roll, Roll, Roll my...dice? SinkMarylandSink 10 2,394 11-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Last Post: HeroLief
  This is Combat! FrozenFire 6 1,834 11-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Qaza