The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Roll for Interaction!
Alright, something I've noticed in my two and a half years is the habbit of everyone posting towards one person in an event. Lets say 'x' is the leader of an opposing gang of 'a' 'b' and 'c'. Instead of it starting out in combat, 'x' starts up a conversation. "Why are you here?"

Three posts are then made.

'a' tells a lie. "We're here to join you."

'b' goes a peaceful route. "we're here to make a truce."

'c' doesn't. *'c' pulls out a knife and charges for the leader*

Now, as a DM it's hard to figure out what to do. At this point the two responses up top have created a confusing situation. But if you throw in what 'c' has done, the other two's emotes are ignored because charging forward with a knife ends conversation.

So this is what I've come up with. In Star Wars: The Old Republic conversations can be held with a group. Each person gets to make their own choice, and once they do, a roll is made. The person who rolled the highest gets to act, and have a response tailored to them in return. With this in mind, perhaps we start doing the same, even before emotes are spammed? It would give everyone an equal shot (Rolls are indeed randomized) to act how their character would without someone like 'c' over shadowing them because they attacked, or 'a' and 'b' saying two different things at the same time. In the real world people tend not to talk over each other all that often as it seems in WoW rp. (No one can see if anyone is typing after all)

Thoughts, comments? Let me know below. Got any ideas that could make this better? Say em. Tis open to everyone to discuss.
Usually RPs just have a natural flow, but in events especially, things can get so hectic its impossible to follow. In these sorts of cases, I think someone should OoCly comment that they're going to take physical action, because a bit of OoC talk can clarify a whole lot more than a single emote, and allow some time for people who are just talking to react and be reacted to. Words are faster than weapons, typically.
The idea was for smaller people events. 3 to 6 size events for the purpose of making sure that each and every single person a has a chance to emote to a foe or ally in the story, not to control players emotes to each other. This is how I explained it to a friend earlier.

Quote:Big bag guy laughs at a group.
[3/5/2013 11:15:26 PM] Kyle (Kage): Three people roll.
[3/5/2013 11:15:31 PM] Kyle (Kage): A rolls 52
[3/5/2013 11:15:33 PM] Kyle (Kage): B rolls 36
[3/5/2013 11:15:36 PM] Kyle (Kage): C rolls 100
[3/5/2013 11:15:43 PM] Kyle (Kage): C is the one who gets to emote to the laugh

It makes it quick and easy for the dm and the players. Another friend suggested a cycle out as well. So each person would still have the ability to emote against an npc. With the example above:

BBG continues his laugh
A rolls 24
B rolls 67
C doesn't roll because he/she had a go already.

Then A would be able to react to a third emote from the BBG, and then everyone comes back in to reroll and emote again.

And whereas words are faster, weapons have a much more lasting effect. Someone draws a knife while someone else is talking, the talk ends. (Less of course the knife isn't seen being drawn, but hopefully you get my point)
It could work if everyone's in concordance with one another, but it's very likely someone will complain 'but my character would do this'. As someone who DM'd a lot of peaceful-until-attacked NPCs, I'll agree that murderhobo characters can be very annoying, though.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(03-05-2013, 08:07 PM)KageAcuma Wrote: Alright, something I've noticed in my two and a half years is the habbit of everyone posting towards one person in an event. Lets say 'x' is the leader of an opposing gang of 'a' 'b' and 'c'. Instead of it starting out in combat, 'x' starts up a conversation. "Why are you here?"

Three posts are then made.

'a' tells a lie. "We're here to join you."

'b' goes a peaceful route. "we're here to make a truce."

'c' doesn't. *'c' pulls out a knife and charges for the leader*

Now, as a DM it's hard to figure out what to do. At this point the two responses up top have created a confusing situation. But if you throw in what 'c' has done, the other two's emotes are ignored because charging forward with a knife ends conversation.

So this is what I've come up with. In Star Wars: The Old Republic conversations can be held with a group. Each person gets to make their own choice, and once they do, a roll is made. The person who rolled the highest gets to act, and have a response tailored to them in return. With this in mind, perhaps we start doing the same, even before emotes are spammed? It would give everyone an equal shot (Rolls are indeed randomized) to act how their character would without someone like 'c' over shadowing them because they attacked, or 'a' and 'b' saying two different things at the same time. In the real world people tend not to talk over each other all that often as it seems in WoW rp. (No one can see if anyone is typing after all)

Thoughts, comments? Let me know below. Got any ideas that could make this better? Say em. Tis open to everyone to discuss.

I'm skilled enough to improvise such a situation. But it's a nice thought, still. :)
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
I tend to agree with this idea. Not only because of the easy nature of it for the DM, but also on account of realism. When a person is approached by multiple individuals simutanously, it's hardly even coherent to listen and understand them all at once. So when in real life usually one of the group is chosen to speak on their behalf, to avoid confusion, it may be a good idea to implant such a system in-game, aswell. Though, perhaps rather than a roll, let them choose who will be interacting.
[Image: 8.jpg]
(03-06-2013, 09:05 AM)Holynexus Wrote: I'm skilled enough to improvise such a situation. But it's a nice thought, still. :)

Chu sayin I'm not skilled? (Cause it's true ;.; )

But anyway, it's more or less to help with events, especially if they include people who haven't rped with one another before as the players. Sometimes it's hard for people to talk to people they've never talked to before (I know I have that issue for the most part) so this just makes it an easy way to get people into important parts of the story without the /rw emote being the bbg just laughing at anyone because everyone emoted and he has no one specific because of it to talk to.

I plan to use it in another of my mini events, just to see how it goes. If it goes well, I'll post the chat log up for everyone to see as a more in depth example.
I'm not sure if I want to leave the flow of rp itself up to rolls, because you risk the chance that someone's actions and emotes are blocked out because they get bad rolls. And trust me, some people spend entire events without winning a roll once, so I think there's the risk that all their emotes are negated.

It can be complex when emotes come in floods but I am not sure if there's a bandaid solution to it. I generally would go with the order of which emote would appear, or ask if someone took an action that negated other players if they could politely retcon their emote.
Not only do I think the old republic is a bad game, and that modelling anything after it is a potentially bad idea, but I think that this is why OOC exists: if someone pulls out a knife, we can all just step back and go "What the !@#$ are you doing!?" and then said knife wielder can take a chance to explain himself. If he had this planned the whole time, then it would have been a good idea for him to mention he was planning an assassination attempt all along prior to the event. The DM can then decide at his discretion on whether or not allowing said person to stab him is a good idea or not, and would it flow into his plan? DMs have a plan, and plans for when those plans go another way, and when one guy screws it up (like I've seen in many DnD games, thanks to our local psionic...) it all goes to shit; not in the game, but around the table with everyone going "why did you do that? why are you doing that? Can he even do that?"

There is no need to tailor to one player, either talk it out with the players and come up with either an agreement, disagreement, or a solution, or ignore the knife wielding butt-munch and say "you can't stab him, I need him to progress the event," or figure out a way to work with it. There ARE chances to stop and discuss, and there ARE chances to figure out how to work this action out.

Or, another thing to remember: make rolls for the action. This is why stats in DnD exists: What is the attackers strength, and what is the victims dexterity? Obviously we don't have those, but the same idea is there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roll or Trust? Bitlordman 23 3,934 07-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Maulbane
  ROLL ORDERS! Maarten 9 2,022 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Holynexus
  Fort's 'Advanced' Roll System Fortwit 4 1,221 12-21-2011, 01:41 AM
Last Post: Fortwit
  That's how we roll. [WIP] Nexi 5 1,371 08-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Last Post: Ural
  Modded roll system FlyingSquirrel 0 616 06-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Last Post: FlyingSquirrel