The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Rules in this Mad World
The thought struck my whileist in the middle of RP, noticeing that we where going an itty bit beyound what Ironsong RP would have allowed on the live server, this I must ask if you will be setting any rules ore limits to RP and its content on this server? Im not bringing this up because I wish for it to be restricted and/or moderated. I dont mind at all what happens in RP, killing something for instance is not a clean and innocent thing and in situations like that my ow RP can get extreamly graphic in detail. Lawl blood and guts while in barely there armor. :o
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
-Take nothing for granted. -
[Image: tumblr_m3fonvvR601qktztio3_250.gif]
The thought has crossed my mind to come up with a ruleset, but I'm not sure what I want the limits to be thus far.

To be quite honest, I'm personally fine with almost any RP. The guild (Conquest of the Horde) isn't really a true guild, strictly a channel we can all use to communicate OOCly (along with some pseudo-RP thrown in). Therefore, things like cannibalism will be allowed, but you'll have to deal with IC reactions from anyone that may see it.

The thing that really irks me to no end is god-moding or power-gaming. Specifically, basically making whoever you're roleplaying with take an action, or not allowing them to react. I'm sure you all were aware of its definition already, though. ;)
For any that may not be, here's an example:
"Sersay draws her sword, charging Lydia and making a quick slash across her neck, decapitating her before the elf is able to react."

If anyone is going to feel the desire for more... 'intimate' roleplay, I honestly don't mind that either, just don't do it in a populated or trafficked area like in the auction house of Orgrimmar or Shatterspear Village if it's going to get really erotic or something like that.

Any questions? Hehe.
Oh im totaly going to strip in the auction house.

I dispise god mode to it fullest, though there are rare situations where it becomes a neccisary evil. That also brings up something else thats been on my mind. How can being a Demi-god not be power RP Kret? :P
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
Because I actually have the powers. :)
Im in denial. *Nods*
/punt
I can see my house from here!
Well, I hope we can both hear others views, ideas and opinions on this matter. :)
Aye.

I should probably emphasize that the whole power-gaming part I dislike is when a character is developed to be as powerful as possible, despite not really being much different than most of the other characters around.

For instance, while I can kill anybody just by looking at them (so to speak), no-one else has the ability to do so. (Again, this is just an example)

I'm leaving it up to everyone to develop their own characters as they see fit, but please do try and set some boundaries for yourselves as far as your abilities are concerned. It's not really fun when half the people around are viewing themselves as god-like when they don't have the power to back it up. *winks*

I've always tried to be careful with how I develop my own characters, when there were thousands of other people around. Despite only maybe a tenth of them or less actually roleplaying, I doubt they'd bend to my will as far as telling them I'm Thrall's closest friend, or maybe Hellscream's other son, etc. Well-planned characters don't need to rely on lore characters, or something like that.

I think I kind of went off-topic slightly, but regardless! I think the real reason was that I initially thought that god-moding and power-gaming were the same thing. In fact, right before I typed this reply, I looked it up. Heehee.
For anyone curious -
Quote:Powergaming
In online roleplaying

In text-based online environments such as MUSH, MUCK, MU*s and other role-playing (RP) games that emphasize role-play over acquiring levels or skills (as opposed to most MUDs), a player can be described as a powergamer if (s)he presumes or declares that his or her own action against another player character is successful without giving the other player character the freedom to act on his own prerogative. They may also be a player who tries to force others to participate in role-playing they don't want to engage in. For instance, a player who unilaterally describes his character as doing something with (or to) another character that would usually require the other to play along — such as having a fight or a sexual encounter — is considered to be powergaming.

In a MMORPG setting

Powergamers enjoy being at the bleeding edge of progression of their selected game. Taking part in every activity that yields the fastest progression, and passing by the lesser activity's such as crafting or any other secondary job/trait/skill. Doing whatever it takes to be the best, have the best gear, kill the hardest mob. This is a wide generalization however. A Gamer that likes to max out all aspects of the game and do so in an expedient manner is also classified as a Powergamer, often seeing more of the world and or game than the "average" player would.

The problem of powergaming

Younger and less socially experienced players are more often powergamers, and it is these same people who are often seen as potentially disruptive to the various types of social interplay that others enjoy in RPGs. Disruptive powergamers may focus primarily on developing their own character with disregard to any others, and may seek to have the play focus on their character's resulting extraordinary capabilities, leaving others with little to do.

Because of the highly capable nature of their characters, methods other than simple direct confrontation are not often necessary to resolve whatever problems the characters face. This can largely leave other enjoyable parts of RPGs out of play.

A group that doesn't enjoy powergaming can even have difficulties incorporating a more cooperative powergamer; the comparative lack of interest shown in the groups style and a tendency to quickly overshadow less capable characters in action scenes can be difficult to handle in a manner that keeps the game enjoyable for everyone else.

As a result of these problems, social groups which favour the story telling or method acting aspects of RPGs often find it more fun to play separately from powergamers, and vice versa. However, it is quite possible to accommodate most any play style in a group and have an enjoyable game for all when players are aware of the need to give everyone's favoured style some time in the spotlight.
Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powergaming

Seems my initial thought about power-gaming was correct, in the MMO/online RPG setting.
well... I think the points have been pretty much well covered, any kind of RP save the God mode type and the whole "I'm Arthas' brother lawlz I r has the same powers as him" or "Lawl I r teh new lich kingz" should be fine.

Edit:

I just remembered the name for those kinds of characters that claim that they're some ridiculous thing like Sargeras reborn and other such things...

Mary Sue

... so no Mary Sue characters or face the wrath of the demigod :P
Quote:Drelgaar wrote:
I just remembered the name for those kinds of characters that claim that they're some ridiculous thing like Sargeras reborn and other such things...

Mary Sue
For anyone curious...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
and
http://www.subreality.com/marysue/explain.htm

I love teh interwebs! :)
You've covered most of my thoughts here. I've already had a big discussion about this on the Ironsong forum. :>
Mary Sues make me giggle, as does powergaming/godmodding.

I used to be involved in a Parasite Eve text-based RPG (g'on, laugh.) where I acutally took a power-modded character and redesigned them into a more feasible character as an experiment. This is his original post, with addendums from myself in parenthesis. Keep in mind this was mostly discussing his profile and illustration, and an illustration I had provided as a redesign. Extra note: yes, I was known by the nickname "Dillo" for a while. I hear you snickering.

Quote:***NAME LEFT BLANK TO PROTECT THE POOR FELLOW***'s GOLEM bio, plus commentary from Dillo:

Name: Super Mech GOLEM (prototype) (…Do NOT add the name “super” to your character's title. It's annoying.)
Height: 6'0” (Short for a GOLEM…)
Eye color: red
Hair color: none
Weight: 210 (Kind of light for something that appears to be mostly metal…)
Species: GOLEM (?)
Relatives (if any): none
Short Background information: UNKNOWN
Appearance: Heavily armored. Half robot mech and half ANMC (GOLEMs are not ANMCs. They guard and control ANMCs). Wears a hockey mask (…Not hockey…), like No. 9's but a little different. Carries gatling in right hand (Not present in drawing) and a sword in the other (Left hand, then). Has an antenna probe (What the heck is that?) on the left side of his head. Has a visual scanner, with antenna on his right eye (Illustration does not appear to provide right/left eyes). Can pick up any radio frequency (Naughty God-modding). Two hand guns on his side (Which side?) and a fully automatic shotgun (What?) on his back. And a whole shit load of ammo (More naughty God-modding).

Extra notes from Dillo's re-design:

Dillo's notes to Ginissi RE: Mech GOLEM:

-Let's swing him a little more GOLEM-wards. I kept him beefy and Rook-based, but smoothed out his design so he's made from matching bits now.
-I kept the “blades” on his back, since they're asthetically interesting.
-To keep the design closer to the bio, I gave him his gatling gun and sword. Usually GOLEMs are only issued one weapon arm, but I let it slide. However, the rest of the weapons mentioned in the bio are simply overkill.
-The gatling gun has limited ammo. Remember this.
-I rather liked the “bent” look of the hilt of the sword, but I smoothed it out so it retains its' functionality.
-I left the antenna in, but you'll have to choose a range or small group or communications that it recieves. If you insist on “all”, please remember this will default to “all AM talk show stations”. And I wouldn't want to do that to him.
-Also, I've added some air vents to the poor fellow's mask.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that many powergamers and Mary Sues don't even realize that's what they're doing. I do adore the Mary Sue limitus tests...

Also, the "Super" comment is revoked for Kretol, as he is indeed the Super Administrator. ...Please don't smite me.
Quote:Qaza wrote:
Also, the "Super" comment is revoked for Kretol, as he is indeed the Super Administrator. ...Please don't smite me.
Unfortunately, there's no way within the admin panel to change the name of the group (that I've seen). I'll have to look into it further, or see if I can change it from the board database itself. Heh.

Being a "Super Administrator" annoys me. ;)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential CotH custom lore world Dae 2 4,928 02-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Maulbane
  Character ideas that don't play by CotH character creation rules Dae 26 10,334 01-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Dae
  World of War-School Valicor 45 12,447 11-12-2014, 01:44 AM
Last Post: Kaghuros
  Your Character as a World of Warcraft Boss - Take #2 Krilari 51 9,014 08-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Last Post: MstrCorvus
  World News Archive Zhaei 0 1,064 11-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Zhaei