The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Server Break - Comments Thread
Use this thread for any comments or discussion in regards to the News post regarding the break.
Not shure what to say here other than i'll be around like I always have.
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
-Take nothing for granted. -
[Image: tumblr_m3fonvvR601qktztio3_250.gif]
I'm not to lie, I'm a wee bit disappointed, however, I do see the notions for doing this.
Thane Gwydd: Mountain King Gwyddy
Warlord Kron: Horde Warlord
Battlecruiser Captain: Who called in the fleet?
Sir Baldwin: Knight of Stormwind
My Guide to Roleplaying Warfare!
The way I see it, until people take it upon themselves to sit down and work out whatever problems they have - with characters, drama, what have you... or just make use of the /ignore feature, the problems that exist now are still going to be there, no matter how long you take the server down for.

On my behalf, I've wiped my hands clean of any problems I had here, and I'll be looking forward to RPing again when the server comes back up.

<edited with additional train of thought>
I don't blame Kretol, Grak, Qaza or any of the GMs for needing a break, since they're human too. However, if people can't be bothered to read and acknoweledge the rules that are already stated, what's the point in trying to enforce them further? Once it's realized that being on this server is not a option, it's a privilege - Kretol didn't have to make this server, nor does he really have to keep it going - maybe the players will show a little more respect when they're banned from being able to log-on for a week instead of just being kicked.

~Felseed~
"Yeah, I spanked that monkey - he tried to grab my manana."
Thanks Felseed. I was really hopeing you would stay.
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
Quote:Sersay wrote:
Thanks Felseed. I was really hopeing you would stay.

<huggles!> I have no reason to leave!

~Felseed~
"Yeah, I spanked that monkey - he tried to grab my manana."
I think taking the server down for a bit is a good idea. Like pressing a big "do over" button.
At one point, Kretol said he respected my ability to be blunt and straightforward: Thus, I shall continue in my rather longwinded fashion, even though I'm sure it's going to cause a fair bit of "rhubarb-rhubarb-who-does-he-think-he-is".

I'm not sure what it is about rules on the internet which make people feel they have to protest against them rather than just complying. It's not "squashing your creativity" to adhere to certain precepts. It's not anyone's right to tell a GM they're "too strict" when they correct your behaviour. An apology which sounds like "Fine, I'll apologise, but screw you" isn't an apology. It's not anyone's right here to say "You don't have the right to tell me what I can and can't do or play". In the end that is exactly the rights a GM holds. There's no point in creating a big whinge-thread and threatening a farewell if you don't agree to those terms; you're better off just finding a place that suits you better.

Conversely, however, I don't believe saying "just ignore it" works; ignoring behaviour is too often taken as accepting it. People don't want to be "mean", they don't want to take it on the chin, so as a result they let people do as they will, and instead retreat to their little corners or end up leaving out of frustration. I think we learned to do this on live where the GMs weren't going to support a thing we said - they'd just take our money and we'd have to pretend we were on a RP server, ignorning the "lolkiddies" and the Barrens chat and all the hundreds of little annoyances which we knew would never be settled if we reported it, meanwhile still shelling out our monthly fee. We never bothered to question the sense of doing so. To my mind, it makes no sense whatsoever to pay for a product which doesn't deliver...but most of us rpers do it anyway.

Here is a bit different. The server is not ours. It's Kretol's. But it gives the rare freedom of being able to enforce things which we never had the control of before; lolkids depart, barrens chat is banned, we have all the gear we could ever wish to have, the world is ours to roam in. And the rp standard means it can be enforced by the GMs so we never have to fear for walking into yet another Goldshire. But can the GM's enforce these rules? It seems not. Perhaps we've become too complacent to being given everything; and thus now we feel entitled. But for the most part it seems the players on this server have become quite, quite spoiled.

GMs attempt to enforce codes for characters and have to backpedal because people faint in coils and get offended, rather than admit perhaps their character falls into a rather cliche role. Threatening to leave and crying the house down rather than just CHANGING the characters - the ploy works, though: Gms backspace and relent and all the cronies smugly burn the "lore nazis" in effigy and dance round the fire. Consistent pestering over mechanics, over gear, over things which have been listed in FAQs or advice several times but people are "too lazy lol" to go and look for themselves. And if not hearing an answer they like, well it must be the server's fault, not their own, so they vent their frustrations in the public channels until other people join the chaunt, the GM's finally give up and give them what they want, and the rest of us have to turn the channels off due to being tired of the temper tantrums. I shan't name names. You know you who are. We know who you are as well. It's not a secret, and we've all seen it time and time again. I actually found myself trying to avoid GMs if I could because I saw how busy they were and figured they just wanted some bloody PEACE for a change...maybe that wasn't the best tactic, maybe I should have whisked them off somewhere for rp instead. I wasn't entirely sure which course was the best. I think I could have done a bit better with being impartial - but then do they like being so distant from the rest of us? It must be lonely at the top.

Here in encapsulated form is my rule for playing on private servers: there is no point whatsoever in complaining against rules, lore, character restrictions, mechanics, or GM decisions. You either agree, or you leave. If it's already written down in FAQ's, it is written in stone. If you have issue with it, find a server that better suits.

If you're one of the type of people to think that when I say "people" above, I mean you specifically, and you feel the need to give a long, drawn out explanation where I fail, and I have no right to say this, as well as a rationale as to why the fact your character has been around for eight years and therefore you have the RIGHT to play them as a one eyed shape-shifting demonic dragon from Planet X .... well then I think you rather missed the point of what I was trying to say. Essentially; if the shoe fits, it must be yours. Don't blame the shoe.

Drama is inevitable. It cannot be avoided if you make a server a public place for people you don't know to join in. However, - and here is my bluntness coming to the fore - what makes a private server work is the ability of a GM to kick or remove if necessary, and the ability of the players upon said server to be mature enough not to question a GM's reasoning or judgment when they do so. It shouldn't be under discussion. The GM makes the laws, and they enforce them. If anyone has an issue with it, then it's time to find a new server.

I was actually rather worried I would be offered a GM position. I don't want one. YOU don't want me as one. I'm a bastard. Kretol has the patience of a saint, I've never met a man who honestly could be so utterly zen, so if he's feeling the strain, it's safe to say the strain must certainly have been considerable. I admit I am one of those people who tried to leave the forum and server, albeit quietly...however it seems it may have caused a ripple in any event.

In light of whatever changes the server may put forward after the haitus...I hope people will have the maturity to respect them and, if they must, to leave with grace rather than with bitterness. It's not an easy job, running a server, and to my mind (and perhaps this is erroneous) it should be about the enjoyment of the GMs and creators first and foremost. Whatever we get in return is a perk. As a result, I hope the Gms can get back to the point where they enjoy what they're doing again...and we can all have the grace to be grateful for the opportunity to be here.
Live your own life; you die your own death
I only joined this server about three weeks ago so I'm not privy yet to all the little machinations that are going on under what I see on the surface. I was having a lot of fun being on this server with the few friends I had made in my short time.
I'm totally lost as to big drama, it confuses me and gets sent to the waste mangment part of my brain. The waste produced yearly contributes to 90% of global warming, and 15% hair growth.
You can't wax that.
Im usualy oblivious to any drama that happens. When I do see it I tend to pretend its not happening. :| Obviously a bad habbit I need to break. Should have payed more attention/payed attention at all.
Drama makes me giggle. However, I always attempt to become a mediator for lads who are being dramatic.
Thane Gwydd: Mountain King Gwyddy
Warlord Kron: Horde Warlord
Battlecruiser Captain: Who called in the fleet?
Sir Baldwin: Knight of Stormwind
My Guide to Roleplaying Warfare!
Admittedly, I haven't been around much due to drama, which is amusing since I originally came to the private server to avoid drama on live. But where there are humans, there is inevitably drama. Feeling like I need to watch what I do or say, or who I RP with, or feeling like I can't RP with some people due to other things is another one of the huge reasons I left.

The server is great. And the people, save for a few, are fantastic. But when I started feeling like I was being harassed by someone for going to retail and RPing with a new friend I'd made, I was done. I popped back on every now and again to see a few people, but the overall attitude of a few people just really turned me off of coming back.

If things change I might be back. Of course, I will be balancing that and leveling my shadow priest on live. Here is to hoping, right?
"I'm not safe for work."
I'm sure there are things in the works to make situations like ours improve, Momo. Hope is never out of reach. :)
I have very good feelings about this, although nothing is without it's glitches and hangups. I have tons of hope!
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Uhhhh.... Did I break something? Zenethen 3 1,057 07-14-2014, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Revan
  Ship Event Aftermath/Comments Spiralin 1 586 12-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Krilari
  A Little Break nwolowski 2 833 07-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Last Post: nwolowski
  A short break. Torn 11 1,986 06-19-2009, 04:40 AM
Last Post: Hawk
  A hopefully not to long break. Renown0 1 675 06-04-2009, 12:52 PM