The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Server Restart/Downage Question Thread
Answer! There will hopefully be another sub-subsection for fully vouched folks, but I don't have the power to make it.

Custom NPCs are not up yet, and until we're sure the database won't be changing dramatically any more (from what I gather it's getting tons of updates from the devs), it's not really worth the effort to customize anything.

To that end, because someone asked somewhere, there will be no customized RP gear for the time being. That's fairly low on the "to get the server up and running" list.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
I have a question:

If the Alliance and Horde are now at war between each other, and the "final straw", to say, was blaming each other for their unpreparedness to combat the Scourge, would that mean there would be in-fighting? Especially with Horde races such as Trolls?
Heya, gotta question as a RPer, though it really doesn't affect me at all..
That said, 'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I really didn't see it.

Will we be ignoring old characters and alliances with the restart, literally starting from scratch, or will we be leaving them in and allowing for, in essence, character remakes? (My own characters really hadn't gotten involved too much with anyone/thing, so I'm not worried either way, but curious)

If we aren't rebooting, how are the Blood Elf and other Horde members who came to help in Stormwind being handled? Is it assumed that they fled/left immediately after, will there be GM allowances for them in spite of Lore development, or will there have been a 'Night of Long Knives' style purging by the local establishment?

Just curious to see how that's being handled, since it seemed to be a sticking point for a lot of people pre-restart. ^_^

Thankye for y'r time.
Yeah, it's a completely separate time. Everything that has happened here before is no longer part of anything. If you'd like to remake a character, they'd have only bits that can still be similar, such as Name and -possibly- personality.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DAMN THIS COMMENT IS FANCY
To clarify a bit more, old characters will need to be re-imagined. Stuff that came from events pre-restart (like the shipwreck, Zul'Senjari, Azshara Crater or the Stormwind takeover) cannot be used in making your character. If their personality makes them an outspoken supporter of the opposite faction, that won't go over well this time (as mentioned in the Timelines news post).

That's not to say you absolutely cannot make a character with the same name and the same personality, as long as they fit into the official lore. However, why would you pass up the chance to make all those little modifications you thought up while RPing to make a character that's even MORE satisfying to play? There's always room for improvement. Perhaps your character would work better as a different class or race. Now's your chance!
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
Qaza Wrote:That's not to say you absolutely cannot make a character with the same name and the same personality, as long as they fit into the official lore. However, why would you pass up the chance to make all those little modifications you thought up while RPing to make a character that's even MORE satisfying to play? There's always room for improvement. Perhaps your character would work better as a different class or race. Now's your chance!

Hrr, I thought I'd mention that I agree with this. While making an adequate character profile can be done if you have an adequate supply of time, the nooks and crannies that will make your character truly deep and enjoyable usually does'nt surface before you've had and used the character for a few weeks (or even months!). Atleast, that's the case with my own humble person. The ability to "retcon" the character was something I'd occasionally miss at Retail, because while I enjoyed my character alot, it was stuck with a past and personality that did'nt always fit with whatever projects I wanted to pull off in the future, and after a year or two of Roleplay, I knew that I'd rather have done some parts of him differently if I got to remake him. Now, I've gotten the chance to modify Hogral into a dwarf with a more fleshed-out backstory and personality, and as Qaza says, changed the class to make him fit what I intend to do with him better. Grand stuff, as far as I'm concerned :)
Hogral Coalbeard - Impulsive Explorer
Do we have to totally rewrite our histories from scratch, or can we just perform what editations are needed to convert them to the new lore? The bulk of my characters' histories takes place before the server lore, so if I can preserve those parts, then that would be ideal. This isn't to say that I'm going to be lazy with writing the new lore into their histories. I know that Tarania at least needs a little tiny personality and possibly history change. Besides, who would want to pass up a chance to add something new and exciting to their characters?
To Scout: If you want to bring a character back, I think the GMs are fine with it as long as it doesn't reference back to BurningCrusade - CotH. I also think they'd prefer you didn't salvage too much from your older characters. If I could take a wild guess as to why, maybe because you could be attached to your older character in a way that you'd have them do things they couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't do on WrathofKing - CotH.

This isn't the official word or anything so don't take it like that. It's just my take on the situation.

Now, I didn't come here without a question to ask! After taking a few looks and understanding it is a cross-faction area, I figure Dalaran would make a nice hub for higher-level role players. However I also remember reading that Northrend isn't in the best shape to go poofing around over there. Is there any progress on getting to Northrend via Portals, *and* is Dalaran going to be endorsed as a major RP area that can be shared by both factions?
ಠ_ಠ : Like Fo Fi Cops.
Essentially everything you did on the previous server storyline is no longer a part of your character history...as most people's characters evolved considerably in that regard it's worth considering how much your character is pretty much a "noob"; they don't know the people they used to, may not have the loyalties they previously had, and so on.

Again as far as Northrend goes, it's completely closed at the moment and probably will be for a while, but I can tell you something that made a considerable impression on me; every time we ventured into Dalaran, if either faction encountered each other, the mobs would immediately fight until they'd managed to kill each other. That is the kind of feeling the world has at the moment - and we seem to like it that way; any area where the factions could freely mingle and share a cup of tea is extremely unlikely.

It is an interesting question however, since I doubt the denizens of Dalaran would like a full scale battle played out in their midst, intermingling in Dalaran might be controlled in some way or have limited access. It's a thowt!
Live your own life; you die your own death
That sounds pretty glitchy. Though I don't have to tell you, I guess. None of the NPCs in Dalaran fight each-other, it's a sanctuary. Obviously, being controlled by some of the most powerful mortal mages.

I bet you're talking about the random named NPCs seemingly based around classes that spawn on timers that walk around the city, though. Oooh, run-on.
"My companions' feelings have been etched onto my body.
I'll change this eternal darkness to light!
Heaven and Earth...
One body, one soul!

Chouginga, Gurren-Lagann!

I'll show you...
The power of mankind!"
Yep, there were wandering NPCs dead all over the place - it might just be a bug; however, it might be something which is kept in the end as the factions at war and people acknowledging that is becoming a big focus in server lore at the moment.

This is just one of the many glitches which is an issue with Northrend, hence why opening it right at the start might not be a possibility, and even if it did open, there might be some special strictures put in place regardless; it's been discussed and probably will come up again.
Since Dalaran is ruled by the Kirin Tor which includes members of both factions it is technically neutral, but it does have two quarters, one devoted to each faction. I would assume if the Horde and Alliance both came to Dalaran they would be uneasy but unable to start conflict due to the concentration of powerful guards, and so would stick around their section of the city.
[Image: Signature.png]
Actually, Dalaran is is much better shape now, only a few people double spawn and nothing randomly fights in the middle of the sky. If it were stable for portals I'd say go for it, but not quite yet, I don't think. (Beyond that, our lore hasn't reached Northrend yet, so no one will be there Ic at all.)
DAMN THIS COMMENT IS FANCY
Aw...that's actually too bad, I rather hoped it might be a bit more volatile. Oh well :/
Hogral Wrote:Now, I've gotten the chance to modify Hogral into a dwarf with a more fleshed-out backstory and personality, and as Qaza says, changed the class to make him fit what I intend to do with him better. Grand stuff, as far as I'm concerned :)

I agree, I think I want Adolphus to get a little more hand-to-hand and a little less ranged, he was a Hunter originally, but I never played him as one, so I think he shalt be reborn as a warrior to combat the Icy Hordes.
[Image: badge.jpg]
Cry Havoc! And let slip the Dogs of War!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Character Restart Thread Xigo 127 22,697 10-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Derek2319
  It just HAD to happen in Restart Day. ImagenAshyun 1 753 09-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Djura
  Restart and [DP] Bovel 0 710 08-29-2011, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Bovel
  A Personal Restart Sadron 0 754 08-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Sadron
  Abput the pre-restart profiles Nekronos 5 1,199 08-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Piroska