08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 406
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2982
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85976
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2554
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3418

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Should I go to retail?
IN NO WAY WILL I LEAVE COTH. I LOVE YOU ALL. :3

But, I was thinking, since CoTH isn't exactly diddly hoo hah fun levelling, PvE and PvP (even though PvP is the Antichrist imo) I was thinking, should I also install Mists of Pandaria and make myself a Paladin Mancow?

How much has Cataclysm changed come the Mists of Pandaria? I still have my Cataclysm Collector's Edition and it's actually gathering dust. Like. Real dust is on it. I'm serious. And it makes me sad. Even though Burning Crusade master race and WoTLK was near-perfection (damn you, Gearscore), Cataclysm... meh. It wasn't like the earlier days of yore.

However, I'm changing from a cynic to an optimist, and I want to hear your opinions CoTH. Is Mists of Pandaria good? And is World of Pokecraft also any good?
That's funny, because I just three hours ago paid for two months of retail myself. I like to juggle COTH and retail to feed into my PvE and PvP needs. If you want to hang out, lemme know! I'll be lurking there a bit.

As for the game play...

The game in general is really dumbed down, worse than Cataclysm was. The talent points -- well, they shouldn't even be called that anymore. It makes a joke of the words "talent points", really. You'll see here. It really infuriates me, but I can deal.

The dungeons are completely reworked, as you see in Cata. Pandaland dungeons are pretty difficult if you're not the over-powered-at-the-time class or incredibly well geared fellow. Which is... refreshing, really. The challenge is there, without a doubt. (Or at least, for the healer. They -really- get you working, which I enjoy. It isn't just mash buttons and space out anymore, it's pay attention, move out of things, etc.)

As for quests, well... Pandaland didn't add to much to the world of Azeroth outside of Pandaria, save for the occasional quest and a few NPCs in Orgrimmar and Stormwind to make your panda feel real special when they get out of the starter zone. The quests in Pandaria are pretty okay, better than the Cataclysm starting zone quests, I believe. (I always thought they were sloppily done, but I enjoyed the quest text/story a good deal.)

Edit: Almost forgot! The Pokemon system seems to have died off months after Pandaland's release, but you can still find a few folks willing to battle with you.
PM
I still play retail pretty regularly, and I enjoy it. I don't want to get into any fight over it, but I [PERSONALLY, I PERSONALLY FEEL] that WoW has pretty much improved with each expansion, so I can't say it would be a bad idea if you're looking for an MMO.

I like MoP. I don't have much to say about the Pokemon stuff, because I'm not the most inclined to Pokemon stuff in the first place. I find leveling the trio of pets a bit boring and repetitive depending, but eh. I can see how someone could get a kick out of it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rigley's post:
  • Harmonic, hiddengecko, Wuvvums
PM
I play Alliance on Wyrmrest Accord, so I can't give you an opinion on making a holy mancow. But I can give you my opinion on Pandaland...

It depends on what you like really. I won't get into PvP since your opinion of is seems pretty negative :P

Everyone I hear talking about the quests in Pandaria (I mean on the continent level 85-90) say they are really good. People have said that the writing for the storyline is better than it's been in a long time. I personally rushed through, thinking what I always do and that's that I want to be max level. I have trouble even forcing myself to level through Pandaland more than once, and after 4 times I have nearly exhausted my ability to do it again.

8 years of playing and I am still being asked to kill 12 spiders...

The only challenge though that I have come up against (Besides endgame raiding of course) is the rares that you will find. They give full quest xp based on their zone, and are like mini bosses. While rares before are nothing more than enemies with maybe a special cast they have for a little extra damage, rares in Pandaria have mechanics you have to follow.

Let's look at a monk rare for example. They are Pandaren usually found meditating at shrines. I believe every zone has at least one. You must do three things while fighting them, and it's really important otherwise you will either die, or just not be able to kill them.

First, you have to stay close to them. If you get too far from they, they will cast an attack that will kill you in 2 hits.
Second, they will start to cast Spinning Crane Kick. If this hits you, it does like... 40% of the average hp you will have at that level every second.
Third, they will cast Healing Mist. You have to interrupt that, otherwise they are capable of healing themselves to full hp.

They drop blue gear, and sometimes epics and other things as well. These are some of the most fun things in the game to kill if you ask me.

As for:

(05-16-2013, 04:26 PM)Rini Wrote: The challenge is there, without a doubt. (Or at least, for the healer. They -really- get you working, which I enjoy. It isn't just mash buttons and space out anymore, it's pay attention, move out of things, etc.)

I disagree... I am level 79 on my druid and all the way through leveling healing has been nothing less and nothing more than a 1 button job. I pick a heal, either Lifebloom to be more active since it can only be on 1 target, or Wild Growth where I can heal the whole group and not even need a target... regardless of which one I pick, I still run through just using that one ability and it does 100% of the healing through the dungeon, and nobody dies.

It gets a bit harder at 80-85 since standing in bad stuff hurts a lot more, but it puts no strain on the healer really. If you stand in stuff, it's your fault and so you will die. I never had any problems through Cata.

As for Pandaria dungeons, I don't think they are hard at all. In fact I have yet to be challenged in one, whether I am a healer, tank, or dps. If I, or anybody else steps in something, they are likely going to die if they don't get out of it. If they get out of it, they stop taking that damage... so they should be healed right up. I as a healer am not going to fight to keep somebody alive if they just stand in stuff that will obviously kill them lol.

So the challenge in dungeons is that they call you to pay attention, and if you didn't put it on the ground, don't stand in it.

Beyond that, the game itself has changed a lot. Everything below Pandaria is a joke really. Things that used to be hard or have any challenge just, don't anymore. A well prepared paladin tank can solo dungeons, and I'm sure other classes can too.

If you go onto a RP server, avoid Goldshire and Silvermoon... unless you're into that sort of thing.
Spoiler:
__________$$$$_____$$___$$$$$$_______
_________$$$$$______$$_$_____$$______
________$$$$$_______$$________$______
________$$$$$_______$_______$________
________$$$$$$_____$_______$_________
_________$$$$$$____$______$__________
__________$$$$$$$$_______$___________
__$$$_________$$$$$$$_$$_____________
$$$$$$$_________$$$__________________
_$$$$$$$_________$___________________
__$$$$$$_________$$__________________
___$$$___$_______$$__________________
___________$_____$___________________
_______$$$$_$___$____________________
_____$$$$$$__$_$$____________________
____$$$$$$$___$$_____________________
____$$$$$______$_____________________
____$$$________$_____________________
____$__________$_____________________
_____________$_$_____________________
______________$$_____________________
_______________$_____________________
PM
(05-16-2013, 04:54 PM)Aadora Wrote: As for:

(05-16-2013, 04:26 PM)Rini Wrote: The challenge is there, without a doubt. (Or at least, for the healer. They -really- get you working, which I enjoy. It isn't just mash buttons and space out anymore, it's pay attention, move out of things, etc.)

I disagree... I am level 79 on my druid and all the way through leveling healing has been nothing less and nothing more than a 1 button job. I pick a heal, either Lifebloom to be more active since it can only be on 1 target, or Wild Growth where I can heal the whole group and not even need a target... regardless of which one I pick, I still run through just using that one ability and it does 100% of the healing through the dungeon, and nobody dies.

It gets a bit harder at 80-85 since standing in bad stuff hurts a lot more, but it puts no strain on the healer really. If you stand in stuff, it's your fault and so you will die. I never had any problems through Cata.

Yeah, I got myself a 89 resto druid and I was referring to the dungeons in that level range. I should've specified xD

Edit: Well, 90 a day after I posted this, but yuh.
PM
I'm working on getting up there. Spent my time getting my resto shaman ready to do ToT (Few groups require 495 ilvl) so I didn't tend to my druid much... now that I got my shaman up there (Regardless of the fact I probably won't actually raid xD, at least not with her) I've been leveling my druid. But I really, REALLY don't want to level through Pandaria again until 5.3 where they are releasing a 33% nerf to the xp needed to level.

As for dungeons... I'd say Jade Temple and Stormstout Brewery are really easy, but at least Shado-Pan Monastery can be a bit of a work out for a healer.
Spoiler:
PM
(05-16-2013, 04:26 PM)Rini Wrote: That's funny, because I just three hours ago paid for two months of retail myself. I like to juggle COTH and retail to feed into my PvE and PvP needs. If you want to hang out, lemme know! I'll be lurking there a bit.
What server are you on? Back in Europe, I was Dragonblight (PvE) and Moonglade (RP), and I know nothing of NA Servers.

Quote:The talent points -- well, they shouldn't even be called that anymore. It makes a joke of the words "talent points", really. You'll see here. It really infuriates me, but I can deal.

Funnily enough, it won't even load for me when I check out Paladin. I guess they're that terribad. I saw the new DK talent tree on WoWWiki a while back, and I was quite confused. What the hell did they do to my Unholy tree!?

Quote:Pandaland dungeons are pretty difficult if you're not the over-powered-at-the-time class or incredibly well geared fellow. Which is... refreshing, really. The challenge is there, without a doubt. (Or at least, for the healer.)

I'm not quite sure if I like that or not. I mean, I do like a challenge (Halls of Reflection was fun and challenging at the same time) but I don't like TOO much of a challenge. WoTLK dungeons were perfect for me imo, Cataclysm ones were a bit... eh, I dunno, either they wavered inbetween too easy or too hard. That's just me, though.

Quote:As for quests, well... Pandaland didn't add to much to the world of Azeroth outside of Pandaria, save for the occasional quest and a few NPCs in Orgrimmar and Stormwind to make your panda feel real special when they get out of the starter zone. The quests in Pandaria are pretty okay, better than the Cataclysm starting zone quests, I believe. (I always thought they were sloppily done, but I enjoyed the quest text/story a good deal.)

I wouldn't expect as much from Blizz. As long as my beautiful Outland and Northrend zones were left untouched, I'll be happeh. :) I plan to farm BC and WoTLK reps for titles, achis, and tabards. Also maybe xmog gear.

Quote:Edit: Almost forgot! The Pokemon system seems to have died off months after Pandaland's release, but you can still find a few folks willing to battle with you.

Yay! I was planning to try that thing out. Sounded like a dumb idea at first, but I guess I could warm up to it.

(05-16-2013, 04:54 PM)Aadora Wrote: I won't get into PvP since your opinion of is seems pretty negative :P

Farming for faction black mounts takes your soul away, man... :(

Quote:Everyone I hear talking about the quests in Pandaria (I mean on the continent level 85-90) say they are really good. People have said that the writing for the storyline is better than it's been in a long time. I personally rushed through, thinking what I always do and that's that I want to be max level. I have trouble even forcing myself to level through Pandaland more than once, and after 4 times I have nearly exhausted my ability to do it again.

8 years of playing and I am still being asked to kill 12 spiders...

Sadly, I did the same with Cataclysm. Vashj'ir was pretty cool, I guess, but Twilight Highlands was just... blergh. I think Yahtzee put it best, "Go here, keep running around killing the palette swaps du jour until they give you a permission slip for the next valley of palette swaps." Honestly, Blizzard overdo it with the zones, sometimes. My friend was telling me about the MoP zones, and the names seem very reminiscent of... well, trying too hard. Too many stereotypes.

Quote:The only challenge though that I have come up against (Besides endgame raiding of course) is the rares that you will find. They give full quest xp based on their zone, and are like mini bosses. While rares before are nothing more than enemies with maybe a special cast they have for a little extra damage, rares in Pandaria have mechanics you have to follow.

Let's look at a monk rare for example. They are Pandaren usually found meditating at shrines. I believe every zone has at least one. You must do three things while fighting them, and it's really important otherwise you will either die, or just not be able to kill them.

First, you have to stay close to them. If you get too far from they, they will cast an attack that will kill you in 2 hits.
Second, they will start to cast Spinning Crane Kick. If this hits you, it does like... 40% of the average hp you will have at that level every second.
Third, they will cast Healing Mist. You have to interrupt that, otherwise they are capable of healing themselves to full hp.

They drop blue gear, and sometimes epics and other things as well. These are some of the most fun things in the game to kill if you ask me.

WHAT'S THIS, BLIZZARD!?

You're doing something... interesting!? I'm impressed, honestly. That mechanic actually sounds fun!

Quote:So the challenge in dungeons is that they call you to pay attention, and if you didn't put it on the ground, don't stand in it.

I have the attention span of a gnat, so I think the dungeons would be difficult, then. :p

Quote:Beyond that, the game itself has changed a lot. Everything below Pandaria is a joke really. Things that used to be hard or have any challenge just, don't anymore. A well prepared paladin tank can solo dungeons, and I'm sure other classes can too.

I do like farming achis... did they really dumb things down that much? I mean, I'm okay with something like Temple of Ahn'Qiraj being easy (because honestly, screw the Twin Emperors) but... damn. That's bad. Guess it's personal preference, though.

Quote:If you go onto a RP server, avoid Goldshire and Silvermoon... unless you're into that sort of thing.

I thought Moon Guard was THE place to go if you need more reasons why eugenics are the best course for humanity?
Oh, and as for RP servers:

Moonguard is the infamous, highly populated RP server. There's a few gems in it, certainly, but they're hard to find with all of the people who hop on the server only for what it is infamous for. Wyrmrest Accord is a slightly less populated but rumoured to have better quality server (I've spent a good deal of time here). The community was good two years ago, when I checked back a year ago they all seemed rather sour in general. I don't know about how they are now. All of the other North American servers are rather empty of RP, from what I have experienced.
PM
I'm not gonna go to RP servers, because of my... well, I can't say horrible experience with them, because they're the sole reason I'm on CoTH anyways! But the RP there is NOTHING compared to here. Probably because of the fact that Illidari-Scourge-Night Elf Death Knight Daughters of Tyrande and Wrynn and a lil' bit of Kael'thas mixed in there aren't prevalent here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nymus's post:
  • Aethon
(05-16-2013, 05:35 PM)Nymus Wrote: My friend was telling me about the MoP zones, and the names seem very reminiscent of... well, trying too hard. Too many stereotypes.

The zones are very well designed in Pandaria I think. Jade Forest is very refreshing in my opinion since everything before seemed to be textured all the same. Maybe one place was snowy, or another a desert, or whatever... but there was no, color. The colors in Pandaria are so strong and they give it a nice sense of life if you ask me.

(05-16-2013, 05:35 PM)Nymus Wrote: I do like farming achis... did they really dumb things down that much? I mean, I'm okay with something like Temple of Ahn'Qiraj being easy (because honestly, screw the Twin Emperors) but... damn. That's bad. Guess it's personal preference, though.

They are packing in even more of a power jump than they did in 10 levels, into 5 levels now. I expect tanks to have over a million health by the end of this expansion, and damage currently can reach up to over 200k I believe from certain classes.

Icecrown Citadel even on 25 man Heroic mode is a joke. A DK tank could go in there and destroy everything and anything. Firelands is like farming normal quests. Just running from one place to the next not even worrying about what the mechanics of the fight are because it's just so ridiculously easy.

(05-16-2013, 05:35 PM)Nymus Wrote: I thought Moon Guard was THE place to go if you need more reasons why eugenics are the best course for humanity?

Goldshire and Silvermoon are now cross-realm with Wyrmrest and Moon Guard at least. So if you are on Wyrmrest, you will still see the same things in those places as if you were on Moon Guard.

Also something I forgot to bring up, is that the content is being thrown out way too fast. I think they are doing a good job with it all, but they are just moving too quickly. Not in a quality way, but they just move from one patch to the next with hardly any time in between. They just switched to Pandaland last Christmas and we are already getting very close to 5.3, and 5.4 is the final patch.

(05-16-2013, 05:55 PM)Nymus Wrote: Probably because of the fact that Illidari-Scourge-Night Elf Death Knight Daughters of Tyrande and Wrynn and a lil' bit of Kael'thas mixed in there aren't prevalent here.

Regardless of what most people say, those kinds of RPers are actually a lot less common than you might think, and don't often find themselves a lot of RP.

As for Moon Guard... it's infamous due to off-server alts lol. 99% of the people that play on that server for freaky ERP have mains on servers such as Wyrmrest.
Spoiler:
PM
(05-16-2013, 05:57 PM)Aadora Wrote:
(05-16-2013, 05:35 PM)Nymus Wrote: My friend was telling me about the MoP zones, and the names seem very reminiscent of... well, trying too hard. Too many stereotypes.

The zones are very well designed in Pandaria I think. Jade Forest is very refreshing in my opinion since everything before seemed to be textured all the same. Maybe one place was snowy, or another a desert, or whatever... but there was no, color. The colors in Pandaria are so strong and they give it a nice sense of life if you ask me.

(05-16-2013, 05:35 PM)Nymus Wrote: I do like farming achis... did they really dumb things down that much? I mean, I'm okay with something like Temple of Ahn'Qiraj being easy (because honestly, screw the Twin Emperors) but... damn. That's bad. Guess it's personal preference, though.

They are packing in even more of a power jump than they did in 10 levels, into 5 levels now. I expect tanks to have over a million health by the end of this expansion, and damage currently can reach up to over 200k I believe from certain classes.

Icecrown Citadel even on 25 man Heroic mode is a joke. A DK tank could go in there and destroy everything and anything. Firelands is like farming normal quests. Just running from one place to the next not even worrying about what the mechanics of the fight are because it's just so ridiculously easy.

(05-16-2013, 05:35 PM)Nymus Wrote: I thought Moon Guard was THE place to go if you need more reasons why eugenics are the best course for humanity?

Goldshire and Silvermoon are now cross-realm with Wyrmrest and Moon Guard at least. So if you are on Wyrmrest, you will still see the same things in those places as if you were on Moon Guard.

Also something I forgot to bring up, is that the content is being thrown out way too fast. I think they are doing a good job with it all, but they are just moving too quickly. Not in a quality way, but they just move from one patch to the next with hardly any time in between. They just switched to Pandaland last Christmas and we are already getting very close to 5.3, and 5.4 is the final patch.

Really? Damn, 5.3 and 5.4 is just around the corner? Wonder what they'll do next. Better not touch my Outlands. > : (

Icecrown Citadel 25 man mode heroic is soloable by a DK tank. I don't know if I like that or not. I guess I kind of do, esp. if I can run the horribadness of TAQ and BWL solo. Well, maybe not TAQ solo. That'd be impossible.

I'm a bit of a mount hoarder anyways. :D
(05-16-2013, 05:35 PM)Nymus Wrote:
Quote:So the challenge in dungeons is that they call you to pay attention, and if you didn't put it on the ground, don't stand in it.

I have the attention span of a gnat, so I think the dungeons would be difficult, then. :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMxW36WbW6M[/youtube]
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
[-] The following 3 users Like Xigo's post:
  • Rini, Nymus, Aethon
PM

1:11 is me...

Here. This should (Porbably not) answer all your questions.

Spoiler:
[-] The following 2 users Like Aadora's post:
  • Aethon, Rini
PM
Retail is full of lowlifes. You've been warned. :>
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
PM
(05-17-2013, 02:03 AM)Holynexus Wrote: Retail is full of lowlifes. You've been warned. :>

I like to trifle in the matters of lower life forms. :D

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Welp, now's a good time to check out retail again! Lancelet 61 1,461 05-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Piroska
  Random question about retail zeromanzx 7 354 12-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Aadora
  Free 7 Days in Retail (Returning Players) Dragonbeard 3 252 09-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Lendri
  For those who play Retail; Anski 11 375 07-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Anski
  Retail WoW? Psychyn 30 873 05-11-2011, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Amorphous