11-24-2020 06:53 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 426
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2988
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 86011
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2560
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3418

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Should I go to retail?
(05-17-2013, 02:03 AM)Holynexus Wrote: Retail is full of lowlifes. You've been warned. :>

So is everywhere.

...Even CoTH isn't an exception at times.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

[-] The following 2 users Like Harmonic's post:
  • Aadora, JTJP770
PM
Retail is fun!

... For a while.

In all seriousness, I played retail for quite a while. I enjoyed it a lot, but then a lot of my friends began to disappear. Without them, the game was just... incredibly boring and repetitive. But when you're playing for the first time it's a blast, and MoP is a magnificent expansion. I'd recommend finding people you'll hang out with often, because unless you're a bit of a lone wolf, the game is horribly dull. (IMO)
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
PM
What Hawk said... though if you ask me no MMO is worth playing without other people to play it with, WoW least of all.
Spoiler:
__________$$$$_____$$___$$$$$$_______
_________$$$$$______$$_$_____$$______
________$$$$$_______$$________$______
________$$$$$_______$_______$________
________$$$$$$_____$_______$_________
_________$$$$$$____$______$__________
__________$$$$$$$$_______$___________
__$$$_________$$$$$$$_$$_____________
$$$$$$$_________$$$__________________
_$$$$$$$_________$___________________
__$$$$$$_________$$__________________
___$$$___$_______$$__________________
___________$_____$___________________
_______$$$$_$___$____________________
_____$$$$$$__$_$$____________________
____$$$$$$$___$$_____________________
____$$$$$______$_____________________
____$$$________$_____________________
____$__________$_____________________
_____________$_$_____________________
______________$$_____________________
_______________$_____________________
PM
(05-17-2013, 09:40 AM)Aadora Wrote: What Hawk said... though if you ask me no MMO is worth playing without other people to play it with, WoW least of all.

I'll have to slightly disagree on that... EVE Online was amazing to play solo, although probably because I'm (or, was) a miner and therefore everyone else is out to cheat me / steal my ore / use me for my refining skills to steal my minerals / trying to blow up my Hulk / trying to abuse my Orca...

... although I did have quite a cult there.

(05-17-2013, 06:17 AM)Hawk Wrote: Retail is fun!

... For a while.

In all seriousness, I played retail for quite a while. I enjoyed it a lot, but then a lot of my friends began to disappear. Without them, the game was just... incredibly boring and repetitive. But when you're playing for the first time it's a blast, and MoP is a magnificent expansion. I'd recommend finding people you'll hang out with often, because unless you're a bit of a lone wolf, the game is horribly dull. (IMO)

I am a lone wolf, or I choose to develop a very small circle of close friends, so I'm not sure... even in RP, I only really RPed with my character's waifu and husband 90% of the time, the other 10% was spent standing in the Pig and Whistle waiting for someone to summon Ashbringer and smite an ebil paladerp.
(05-17-2013, 11:56 AM)Nymus Wrote: I'll have to slightly disagree on that... EVE Online was amazing to play solo, although probably because I'm (or, was) a miner and therefore everyone else is out to cheat me / steal my ore / use me for my refining skills to steal my minerals / trying to blow up my Hulk / trying to abuse my Orca...

Never trust anyone in EvE... I learned that the hard way. By becoming the person you don't trust :P I've been thinking of re-subbing to EvE lately, but everytime I do it seems I do nothing more than mine while my skills train.

EvE is designed for you to be a loner. even if you join a corp and move about in fleets, never fully rely on anyone else for anything, and definitely never expect that they will do the right thing in your time of need.
Spoiler:
PM
(05-17-2013, 12:20 PM)Aadora Wrote:
(05-17-2013, 11:56 AM)Nymus Wrote: I'll have to slightly disagree on that... EVE Online was amazing to play solo, although probably because I'm (or, was) a miner and therefore everyone else is out to cheat me / steal my ore / use me for my refining skills to steal my minerals / trying to blow up my Hulk / trying to abuse my Orca...

Never trust anyone in EvE... I learned that the hard way. By becoming the person you don't trust :P I've been thinking of re-subbing to EvE lately, but everytime I do it seems I do nothing more than mine while my skills train.

EvE is designed for you to be a loner. even if you join a corp and move about in fleets, never fully rely on anyone else for anything, and definitely never expect that they will do the right thing in your time of need.

Actually, my friend is trying to get me back into EVE, simply because I'd be (as he says) immensely useful to the alliance he's in, as I'm only 30 days away from a Rorqual and all of my Ore Processing Skills are about 3-4 (Level 5 is too inefficient, maybe once I get Rorqual improvement skills out of the way) and at the moment I get highly efficient returns on Solo Mining and Solo Ice Mining, so if I had me boosting the fleet in my Orca, they'd get huge bonuses (not just mining, I mean Information Warfare, Defensive Warfare, etc.) and if they had me mining in a Hulk, I might be better than the Orca pilot themselves at refining!

EDIT: I'd be a rather juicy killmail, even without pod - my Orcas usually come fitted with rigs, boosters and T2 fittings, and my character is augmented with +4 to all attributes at the moment, as well as Fleet booster implants... which strengthens my resolve even more to be a solo highbear!
I have my own Orca but never had anyone but my cousin (In a starter frigate mind you...) to mine for me. I don't trust groups to pay. I have done a lot of mining for different corporations with promise of getting paid, and the ISK never came. One corp in particular I took it out on them pretty badly. I had the location of their base, the pass to get in, access to the corp hangar... and I knew their transportation routes. I rigged up a drake for pure offensive and quick getaways. Found a few of their transport ships and caught them away from the gates. they lost a good amount of money to me.

I don't usually pirate, but when I do... It's because someone made me mad.
Spoiler:
PM
If I may offer an opinion...

WoW does what it tries to do very well. It is the most popular dungeon-grind MMO out there, so if you like the dungeons and want to do those over and over, then it's good for that purpose.

HOWEVER.

If you're looking to play primarily solo, or primarily for the leveling, I would strongly recommend that you don't go to WoW and play something else instead. WoW is at its best when you're constantly surrounded by people because its large playerbase makes that work for it just fine. However, in today's age of gaming where free-to-play and buy-to-play MMOs rising in popularity, it is getting increasingly difficult to justify shelling out the extra money monthly unless you really, really want the specific MMO for its unique features. For WoW, its primary unique feature is its giant playerbase and its simplicity.

WoW as a game has a lot of flaws. The writing, particularly for the metaplot, has taken a very swift nose-dive since Wrath. The new "talent trees" eliminate all sense of character uniqueness and prevent you from making any real choices on your own character. The game itself is dumbed down to the point where you barely need to think to play it. Now, yes, many things have improved, most of the quests are more streamlined, for example. And hey, some people like simple, mindless entertainment, there's nothing wrong with that. But, overall, I would say that WoW's quality has steadily declined with every expansion after Wrath.

My point, though, is that unless you happen to just REALLY like the Warcraft universe, you want to have the giant playerbase surrounding you, or you are partial to that dungeon-grind end-game, there's not much reason to get WoW over the alternatives. Most anything else WoW does well, other games have done better, and are cheaper for you to get into. Guild Wars 2 is buy once, play free. Secret World is buy once, play free. TERA is free to play. RIFT will soon be free to play. I'd recommend any of these games over WoW...if not for sheer quality, then for quality for the amount spent into it.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
[-] The following 2 users Like Grakor456's post:
  • Rini, Holynexus
PM
Come to Tera and I will welcome you with open arms to my cult of worshippers!

Seriously, I would recommend trying Tera if you haven't. Just remember if you try it, download it completely first. The game has horribly trouble with its play as you download feature. My fps was 60+ at all times in the starter zone, dropped to about 1 frame every 3 seconds if I tried to leave. For others I have heard as bad as having that sort of fps soon as they load into the game.

Guild Wars 2 looks good, and I am thinking about trying it at some point but I am still unsure about buying it at new game price when I may try it for a a few hours and quit never to play it again (*Cough Defiance*)

Haven't tried RIFT or Secret World...

I would also recommend looking at games like Aion or Fiesta, both of which are also free to play. They are a bit older, as I remember Aion used to be the big deal with its graphics where now it's kinda, meh. But it's a well built game in my opinion and is full free to play. Not to mention it has the most extensive character creation I have ever seen. If you want to try it I would ALSO recommend looking at GamezAion server. I think they are PvP, but they don't really force you to do anything. Last I checked like 95% of things were working. They are high rate so you level really fast. The retail version is also supposed to be releasing 3 new classes soon. Gunner and Bard are the two known... The other looked like some kind of engineer that uses mechs? I dunno, don't know if any information has been released on that third class yet or not lol. Oh, and you get wings... who wouldn't want wings?

Fiesta is an anime styled game, so if you like silly humor and general anime style stuff you might like it. Only thing is the non free part comes in with things like more hairstyles or faces for your character. You get like 1-2 normally.
Spoiler:
PM
I personally didn't enjoy MoP from the PvE standpoint. To me, PvE is going out and killing enemies for fun to level up. Grinding like that holds virtually no experience like it did in Vanilla or TBC. That alone killed it for me. It felt like I was running errands just to get a level. Not my style.

However.

MoP is a rather pretty expansion. Though I would just make myself one of the bare-bones private servers and go do private RP if it were up to me. Got no RP whatsoever during my free two months of retail. It saddened me. So if everything were free to play, I would do it in my free time. But having to pay for something I can't fully enjoy? I'll pass.

All in all, it's up to you. Get one of your friends to invite you so you have a free trial period to see if you like it before throwing money at Blizzard.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @CappnRob): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
Considering many places I have seen in Tera thus far limit your movement (They don't want you jumping off the cliff at the edge of the map!) they did an amazing job creating the zones. After having personally played things like Halo: Reach where the background looks like finger painting done on the side of a cardboard box... the backgrounds for the zones are amazing. Things actually happen! :O

WoW just doesn't have all that much going on beyond what you can interact with. I would like to see some things flying around in the background or something... like how Aion has these giant flying whale things that just float around random zones.

WoW looks good sure, especially with MoP... but like Grakor said if you are looking for certain things, it's better to look for an MMO that has done that particular thing better.
Spoiler:
PM
(05-17-2013, 02:25 PM)Aadora Wrote: I have my own Orca but never had anyone but my cousin (In a starter frigate mind you...) to mine for me. I don't trust groups to pay. I have done a lot of mining for different corporations with promise of getting paid, and the ISK never came. One corp in particular I took it out on them pretty badly. I had the location of their base, the pass to get in, access to the corp hangar... and I knew their transportation routes. I rigged up a drake for pure offensive and quick getaways. Found a few of their transport ships and caught them away from the gates. they lost a good amount of money to me.

I don't usually pirate, but when I do... It's because someone made me mad.

... Remind me never to piss you off. Ever. Or jet can troll you. :D

(05-17-2013, 03:28 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: If I may offer an opinion...

WoW does what it tries to do very well. It is the most popular dungeon-grind MMO out there, so if you like the dungeons and want to do those over and over, then it's good for that purpose.

HOWEVER.

If you're looking to play primarily solo, or primarily for the leveling, I would strongly recommend that you don't go to WoW and play something else instead. WoW is at its best when you're constantly surrounded by people because its large playerbase makes that work for it just fine. However, in today's age of gaming where free-to-play and buy-to-play MMOs rising in popularity, it is getting increasingly difficult to justify shelling out the extra money monthly unless you really, really want the specific MMO for its unique features. For WoW, its primary unique feature is its giant playerbase and its simplicity.

WoW as a game has a lot of flaws. The writing, particularly for the metaplot, has taken a very swift nose-dive since Wrath. The new "talent trees" eliminate all sense of character uniqueness and prevent you from making any real choices on your own character. The game itself is dumbed down to the point where you barely need to think to play it. Now, yes, many things have improved, most of the quests are more streamlined, for example. And hey, some people like simple, mindless entertainment, there's nothing wrong with that. But, overall, I would say that WoW's quality has steadily declined with every expansion after Wrath.

My point, though, is that unless you happen to just REALLY like the Warcraft universe, you want to have the giant playerbase surrounding you, or you are partial to that dungeon-grind end-game, there's not much reason to get WoW over the alternatives. Most anything else WoW does well, other games have done better, and are cheaper for you to get into. Guild Wars 2 is buy once, play free. Secret World is buy once, play free. TERA is free to play. RIFT will soon be free to play. I'd recommend any of these games over WoW...if not for sheer quality, then for quality for the amount spent into it.

I tried and liked The Old Republic, it's pretty good for an MMO, I liked Imperial Agent as a class and as the lore, WAAAAAY more fun being the James Bond-esque agent who gets his hands dirty doing the work of the Sith instead of being "RAAARG I AM SITH WARRIOR SMASH KILL DESTROY DERP" or the cranial-rectal inversion syndrome prevalent of the Sith Inquisitor. Republic was too wussy. I guess I could try Secret World and TERA, never heard of them before. Tried RIFT, reminded me too much of Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, which I liked, but... meh.

(05-17-2013, 04:11 PM)SachikoMaeda Wrote: I personally didn't enjoy MoP from the PvE standpoint. To me, PvE is going out and killing enemies for fun to level up. Grinding like that holds virtually no experience like it did in Vanilla or TBC. That alone killed it for me. It felt like I was running errands just to get a level. Not my style.

However.

MoP is a rather pretty expansion. Though I would just make myself one of the bare-bones private servers and go do private RP if it were up to me. Got no RP whatsoever during my free two months of retail. It saddened me. So if everything were free to play, I would do it in my free time. But having to pay for something I can't fully enjoy? I'll pass.

All in all, it's up to you. Get one of your friends to invite you so you have a free trial period to see if you like it before throwing money at Blizzard.

Friends? :p I have no IRL friends who would play WoW. Well, they would, but their reputation is too concrete. I suppose I'd return and play, if I didn't tell ANYONE. WoW shaming is a horrible thing. :(

(05-17-2013, 04:16 PM)Aadora Wrote: Considering many places I have seen in Tera thus far limit your movement (They don't want you jumping off the cliff at the edge of the map!) they did an amazing job creating the zones. After having personally played things like Halo: Reach where the background looks like finger painting done on the side of a cardboard box... the backgrounds for the zones are amazing. Things actually happen! :O

WoW just doesn't have all that much going on beyond what you can interact with. I would like to see some things flying around in the background or something... like how Aion has these giant flying whale things that just float around random zones.

WoW looks good sure, especially with MoP... but like Grakor said if you are looking for certain things, it's better to look for an MMO that has done that particular thing better.

[Image: tumblr_m76u74pqzj1rqfhi2o1_250.gif]

But I love jumping off of cliffs! D : < I'm not much of a (for lack of a better term) graphics w**re, so they don't mean much to me. Hell, Tribes: Ascend on lowest graphics looks nice enough to me. All I care about is the smoothness of the game, really.

Seems that WoW has become bad, by the general consensus... think I'll steer clear of it. Does anyone know of a good replacement? I can return to EVE Online and mine for spacegold with the R O G U E Alliance (and probably die in an invasion for our spacelands), or join TERA or Aion or one of the many that exists. Ideas, my friends?
WoW has become BETTER in my opinion.

That's all I'm gonna say to that. Really, the only way you can determine if you want to go back is by trying it out. Everyone has different opinions, so.

Like, how I think the writing is just fine, and that the newer ways to level and use the talent trees trims out a lot of the useless fat.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

[-] The following 1 user Likes Harmonic's post:
  • Holynexus
PM
Well I've never been to retail, but I always wanted to try it out. I think you should give it a shot, maybe it is good. Just...Avoid Goldshire.
"Excellence is when failure becomes improvement"

[Image: a7KvoWr_460sa_v1.gif]
PM
Knowing you personally Nymus, from before our beginnings in CoTH, WoW retail is personally a very interesting and intriguing concept and take on gaming overall. However, it isn't my cup of tea, and it may not be yours either. I dunno though, I'm not one for giving redundantly complex reviews, your best bet is to just try it yourself. Maybe you're more of just an RTS Gamer or FPS Man like me.

Grakor has a point though, WoW's mechanics seem simple and dumbed down from before it's more earlier days, and compared to other MMOs I've tried. But in most of the FPS Gaming World (I'm talking Counter-Strike style), they're like a monkey trying to screw a light bulb in, it can be accomplished it just takes a bit of adjustment.
Hand me some feedback!
Spoiler:
Quote:I don’t want you to protest,
I don’t want you to riot,
I don’t want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn’t know what to tell you to write.
I don’t know what to do about the depression and
the inflation and the crime in the Streets.
All I know is that first, you’ve got to get mad.

You’ve got to say:
I’m a Human being God damn it !
*MY LIFE HAS VALUE!*
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Welp, now's a good time to check out retail again! Lancelet 61 1,461 05-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Piroska
  Random question about retail zeromanzx 7 354 12-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Aadora
  Free 7 Days in Retail (Returning Players) Dragonbeard 3 252 09-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Lendri
  For those who play Retail; Anski 11 375 07-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Anski
  Retail WoW? Psychyn 30 873 05-11-2011, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Amorphous