The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Simple Seven Skills
A while back, I started writing an RP guide that I never got around to finish, mostly because many other awesome guides had been written in the meanwhile. However, after reading it recently, there is one part of it I wanted to post as relevant to the abilities characters display. Spoilered below is the excerpt from the planned guide.

Spoiler:
What the heck is a Simple Seven Rule?

The Simple Seven Rule was named by peeking at the abilities of well-known NPCs on wowhead.com, and established long ago when I started RPing. Two NPCs caught my eye: Rexxar and Jaina Proudmoore. Rexxar, being an epic beastmaster, and Jaina, being a powerful mage, are perfect to examine just how many abilities your character should have a rotation of. Both have a total of five special abilities. And most NPCs don't go beyond those numbers. Lets take a look at Rexxar first, a melee fighter. His five abilities are:
  • Cleave - Inflicts 110% of normal melee damage to an enemy and its nearest allies, affecting up to 3 targets.
  • Knockaway - Inflicts weapon damage to an enemy and knocks it back.
  • Puncture - Inflicts Physical damage to an enemy every 2 sec. for 10 sec.
  • Sundering Cleave - Hacks at the armor of an enemy and its nearby allies, affecting up to 3 targets. A target's armor is reduced per Sunder Armor. Can be applied up to 5 times. Lasts 30 sec.
  • Thrash - Gives the caster 2 extra attacks.

As a beastmaster, an unlisted power would be having a pet that can attack, but even so this list is surprisingly...well...tame for someone considered one of the Horde's biggest champions. OOCly, most of these are things that even lower level players have access to. And that's the point. When choosing your Simple Seven, you aren't just taking the low-level abilities for granted. In fact, I'd say at least 3/7 (preferably 4) of the abilities you choose should be lower-level skills. ICly, you can see it as these are abilities that require little of your focus and energy, making them the attacks you would commonly use. The one or two major attacks would be for getting towards the end of the fight, and you need to put down your opponent once and for all.

Let's look at Jaina next, largely considered one of the more powerful living mages. Her five abilities are:
  • Blizzard - Calls down a blizzard that lasts 10 sec., inflicting 14250 to 15750 Frost damage every 2 sec. to all enemies in a selected area.
  • Fire Blast - Inflicts 8550 to 10450 Fire damage to an enemy.
  • Fireball - Inflicts 11390 to 15410 Fire damage to an enemy.
  • Summon Water Elementals - Summons 3 powerful water elementals to aid the caster.
  • Teleport - Teleports an enemy above Theramore Harbor.

Again, most of it is stuff you learn very early on. Seeing this apply for both a melee fighter as well as a mage, you can see how if lore characters don't have an abilities list full of epic abilities, then neither should your own character. It makes the fights more interesting when both players aren't firing off kill shots as well, and allows you to build to an epic conclusion that you can both be proud of.

So my question is: if you could only choose seven spells/abilities to use ICly, which ones would it be? For the sake of clarity, a pet/minion counts as an ability, as well as a totem. Also, abilities that are part of a specialized class (ie Demon Hunter or Blademaster) can be included.

Some examples of my own characters:

Jonoth - Buccaneer (Rogue)
A swashbuckling dual-wielder with swords, I kept his abilities in that line.
Abilities: Combat Readiness, Sinister Strike, Kick, Slice and Dice, Rupture, Dismantle, Ambush

Dunkhaan - Shaman
The stormcaller. I tried to theme his abilities around his calling, so utilized wind, rain, and of course lightning.
Abilities: Stormstrike, Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, Healing Rain, Wind Shear, Windfury Weapon, Shamanistic Rage

Penandion - Demon Hunter (Rogue)
An example of a special class, Mana Burn and Immolation Aura aren't core rogue abilities, but are still part of his arsenal as a Demon Hunter. As a result, I tried to keep the rest of his abilities tamer, focused on evading attacks and striking quickly.
Abilities: Sinister Strike, Slice and Dice, Kick, Combat Readiness, Evasion, Mana Burn, Immolation Aura

Haiko - Mountain King (Warrior)
Another special class, but this time with abilities that exist within the core abilities. I also included the racial Stoneform since it isn't something all Dwarves just walk around doing.
Abilities: Charge, Thunderclap, Colossus Smash, Battle Shout, Stoneform, Heroic Throw, Cleave

Tun'kar - Warrior
The axe-wielding "strongest Orc there is" has a set more geared towards his weapon style, which is to smash and cut through everything with his axe, and bring fear into the heart of his opponents.
Abilities: Rend, Mortal Strike, Cleave, Execute, Intimidating Shout, Sunder Armor, Berserker Rage

Remyl - Hunter
Decided to drop in the womanizer because he's a hunter, so his pet bear is included in his abilities list.
Abilities: Ishkun (Summon Pet Bear), Explosive Shot, Scatter Shot, Rapid Fire, Multi Shot, Eagle Eye, Kill Shot
You forgot Remyl's special womanizing skills!

Track Womanoids - Reveals the location of all women of every race and species in the surrounding area.
Aspect of the Owl - Makes the caster lighter to more easily sit on a tree branch across from an open window, and eyesight sharper to peer through the darkness of night.
Duck - Increases chances to dodge a slap to the face by 5%.
False Security - Reduces threat to all female targets in a 10 yard range.

:|
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
(05-21-2013, 10:53 AM)CappnRob Wrote: You forgot Remyl's special womanizing skills!

Track Womanoids - Reveals the location of all women of every race and species in the surrounding area.
Aspect of the Owl - Makes the caster lighter to more easily sit on a tree branch across from an open window, and eyesight sharper to peer through the darkness of night.
Duck - Increases chances to dodge a slap to the face by 5%.
False Security - Reduces threat to all female targets in a 10 yard range.

:|

That comes as natural to him as breathing ;)
I'm not very versed in the PC game that is WoW, but applying the concept of 7 skills:
One assumes 'Autoattack' is the unspoken 8th

Adam
(Human: ) Manipulate Vegetation, Channel Vitality, Worgen Form, Feline Form, (Forms: ) Stealth, Leap-Neck-Claw, Ankle-Biter

Singe
Fireball, Fire Circle, Intimidating Pyroblast, Blink-Strike, Long-range Scry, Teleport, Potion-Injectors

Jacob
Heal, Mind Blast, Horrify, Mind-Scry, Mind Twisting, Shadow Form, Disperse, Non-threatening Demeanour
Spoiler:
[Image: Boys.jpg]
but wut if my char nows all abilities this system is unrealistic
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Annabelle - Techno-Priest (Priest)
A human priestess that has taken an interest in technology, and the dwarven history of the Titans.
Abilities: Inner Will, Mana Burn, Power Word: Barrier, Power Infusion, Pain Suppression, Holy Fire, Smite

Orvisha - Shaman
A young shaman, only just getting her first totem. She has a penchant for air and water.
Abilities: Feral Spirit, Air Totem, Frostbrand Weapon, Lightning Shield, Unleash Elements, Windfury Weapon, Healing Surge

Nuadon - Mage
A young highborne mage, her name Coldmoon is appropriate.
Abilities: Summon: Water Elemental, Ice Block, Remove Curse, Frost Armor, Frostbolt, Frost Nova, Blink

Roux - Harvest Witch (Druid)
A Balance druid that is frightened of learning new forms. She has a penchant for starry magics and thorns.
Abilities: Faerie Fire, Moonfire, Starfall, Insect Swarm, Soothe, Thorns, Regrowth
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Simple Question Beltharean 5 968 03-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Aphetoros
  A simple que-stion. Kirabo 6 1,279 01-02-2011, 01:12 AM
Last Post: Kirabo
  Simple question SgtInsomniac 5 949 05-20-2010, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Tarne
  My simple thanks for Conquest of the Horde! jak13 6 1,077 03-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Dilly
  Simple, easy question we hope someone can answer WarPadre71 3 790 09-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Qaza