The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

So you want to be a Blood Elf...
A Guide of the Do's and Do Not's of Being a Sin'dorei
Ah, it's time I posted this up here. I'm obviously a huge fan of the Blood Elf [Damn their sexyness!], and I felt it's time I posted an outline of the Sin'dorei for a better appreciation of the Blood Elves and to better people roleplaying as them. Enjoy reading my amazing writing! /sarcasm

~HelveteSong

The History of Sin'dorei
"Malfurion and the rest are across the sea... far, far from this place. They will not even know. We will have our glory again..." Dath'Remar Sunstrider

Before I can explain Blood Elves today, I must relapse backwards in time...Back to the time before the Sundering. The Sin'dorei were non-existant at this time. They were Kaldorei, worshipping the moon and residing by the Well of Eternity. These elves built many temples to honor the mysterious lake with its plethora of secrets, thanks to the Well's power that made them intelligent and virtually immortal. Due to this massive intelligence they've gained, their curiousity grew significantly, and they began noticing the other races on the large continent of Kalimdor. The continent itself was whole, not yet split into two parts due to tragic events that would soon to come.

Among the people they found was Cenarius, who had taken an interest of the quizzical Night Elves. He taught them the value of every living thing and that nature itself is very important, values that the Kaldorei still hold true today.

As the ages passed along, the Night Elf society evolved culturally and expanded in size. Their gorgeous queen, Azshara, built a wonderous palace near the Well of Eternity. Her servitors shared this large palace, and she gave them a name: Quel'dorei, or Highborne. The Highborne studied the Well endlessly, eventually learning that they could harness the Well's energy. The energy, they realized, could be used to create and destroy on a whim. The deeper the Highborne dwelled in these experiments, the more warnings they recieved on messing with this primitive magic. Azshara ignored their warnings, the Highborne tyring to master this newfound power with reckless abandon. Her mood became more bitter, and she became reclusive to her people, only speaking in disdain of her formerly beloved Kaldorei.

A voice rang out in a Highborne, Xavius, of a powerful god that would 'help cleanse the world'. He immediately told Azshara of this, which she agreed. This 'god', however, had much darker plans in mind. His name was Sargaras, and he wished to bring the Burning Legion to Azeroth. The War that ended up happening between the Night Elves and the dragon aspects going against the demons of the Legion would be known as the War of the Ancients. In the end, Azshara's thirst for power led to the Sundering, in which the continent of Kalimdor was destroyed and seperated into two sections: Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms.

After the Sundering, the Night Elves banned the use of arcane magics, stating that the use was punishable by death. A group rebelled against the druids, led by Dath'Remar Sunstrider. He called the druids cowards for not using this power that they could wield. In rage, he and his followers formed a mighty storm over Ashenvale. The druids did not wish to kill so many of their kind, and as such, banished them from Kalimdor. The Quel'dorei were glad to leave, sailing away from their home in search for a new one.

The High Elven Years

The Quel'dorei [now called themselves High Elves] sailed for many years, landing on the continents opposite Kalimdor: The Eastern Kingdoms. The elves settled in Tirisfal Glades, but many of the citizens began going mad, making them believe it was cursed. Around this time, they were cut from the Well of Eternity, not recieving the immortality. Their skin became peach colored, and they became shorter. They moved into the northern woods, meeting humans for the first time. They barely interacted with the humans, more worried about their city of Quel'thalas. The main enemy of their beloved city were the forest trolls of Zul'aman, who were especially angered with the High Elves as they had built their beloved city atop the Troll's sacred city. The Amani trolls attacked Quel'thalas, seiging the high elves. The use of magic, despite being outnumbered 10 to 1, threw the tide of war into the Quel'dorei's favor. After pushing the trolls back, the High Elves created the Sunwell. Despite knowing the dangers, their thirst for magic would push them to keep it. They also kept their home in eternal spring, defying the cold terrain that would exist up in the far north.

Their peace would last for two thousand years, before the Amani attacked once more. Despite their best efforts, they could not hold off the trolls. In desperation, the elves asked the humans for help. In exchange for their aid, the elves agreed to teach 100 humans magic. This would tighten the trust between the humans and elves for many, many years to come.

Sadly, the time of the High Elves would be coming to a close, and a new breed would rise from the ashes...

The Rise of the Sin'dorei
"My blood cries out for the vengeance of my people's blood, which can only be repaid with at least twice as much blood! Or maybe three times as much blood! Like if you went to hell, and it was full of blood, and that blood was on fire, and it was raining blood, then maybe that would be enough blood! Eh… but probably not." -Kael'thas Sunstrider in Warcraft III

The Third War came, and a rather unexpected visitor came to Quel'thalas: Prince Arthas Menethil, paladin-Excuse me, ex-Paladin who has since given his soul to the Lich King in unending servitude. He also brought plenty of friends along such as large Abominations, hideous Ghouls, and Necormancers. Sylvanas Windrunner, the Ranger-General and temporary leader of the time called for the other High Elves to defend their beloved city. The battle raged on, and in the end, the results for the Sin'dorei were disasterous. Ninety percent of their population was obliterated, their home city lay in ruin. Even Sylvanas faced a fate worse than death: She became a Banshee, serving the very monstrosity that had laid waste to the beloved High Elf city. But the worst was yet to come. Arthas used the Sunwell's magical energies to revive Kel'thuzad, befouling the once sacred waters. The Sunwell was destroyed, and what was left of the High Elves could only mourn at the loss of their beloved source of mana.

Kael'thas Sunstrider, the prince of Quel'thalas, returned from his studies in Dalaran to find his people and his city erradicated. He rounded up the remaining people, renaming themselves Sin'dorei, or Blood Elves, in the eternal sorrow of all the blood shed by Arthas' seige. The Sin'dorei went to the humans for help, but their bigotry of the Elven race was a continous humiliation to the Elves. After a series of unfair events against the elves due to the association with the Naga, they were imprisoned and sentenced to death. Kael and his elves escaped only due to the Naga's help once more, and they retreated to Outland to meet a man that could help their mana issue: The Betrayer, Illidan Stormrage. He taught them how to absorb the fel energy of demons, and this was a substitute for their hunger. The once blue eyes of the Blood Elves had become green with Fel energy.
[Image: Zf6X.gif][Image: 3vBq.gif][Image: q3iX.gif][Image: 5rVk.gif]
Mah babehs. I'm watchin' you, government.
Part Two, baby birds! HS here with the Culture and other things about Blood Elves~ Hope you enjoy once more!

Culture

The Sin'dorei culture is not as complicated as people make it out to be, and their story is a rather complicated one as seen above. First, let's talk clothing. Sin'dorei generally wear crimson red to represent their fiery passion, their fire spells, and in rememberence for the elves who lost their lives during the seige of Quel'thalas. They are rather concerned with the reconstruction of their city and the restoration of their honor, things that others, regardless of ally or enemy status, will stand in the way of their goal.

The Phoenix

Also, some, if not most, of the flags of the Sin'dorei carry a phoenix symbol. The phoenix is rather similar to the Blood Elves in that it has a severe destructive nature, or possibly the Sin'dorei favor it due to its composition of magical energies. Also, the phoenix is a symbolic representation of the Blood Elves: Their 'death' as Quel'dorei and their 'rebirth' into Sin'dorei.

Architecture and Magic

Give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to...*grunts annoyedly* Just give me some freakin' magic before I kill somebody!

The architecture of the Sin'dorei is not that different from High Elves, their buildings containing eloquent curves and columns. The Blood Elves, however, differ from their High Elf society in that they study fire and fel spells over the water and frost magicks of their Quel'dorei brothers and sisters. Alas, we come to a special part of the Sin'dorei: Their insatiable magic addiction. The Blood Elves are horribly addicted to magic, and they only have one of two choices to deal with their addiction: Absorb the mana from a magical creature or just ignore it and 'starve' themselves from mana. The Sin'dorei have turned to fel magic to feed upon, slowly corrupting them. Those who cannot control their addiction become known as Wretched, leaving them thirsting for so much mana that they waste away due to their corruption.

Upon the Sunwell's revival, some Sin'dorei magi and the other Blood Elves no longer feel this hunger as bad as they once did. They however, will feel the negative effects of the fel magic they consumed. Warlocks and other magi, however, will continue to rely on fel magic to fill their desire of mana.

Ideal Thoughts

Now that we've discussed what a Sin'dorei feels and does, we'll discuss what the average one thinks. Sin'dorei are -not- always evil. They believe in fighting fire with fire...lots and lots of fire. When push comes to shove, the Sin'dorei are not above blowing some people up to defend their homeland or their beliefs. The Blood Elves are rather pissed, being dishonored by having their city reduced to rubble, their people slain, and their addiction to magic stronger than ever. But they plan on fixing all of that, restoring their honor...and not a man, woman, or demon alive is going to prevent them from doing that...Well, in their opinion.

Like and Dislikes

Time for the favorite section: The 'Best Friends and Worst Enemies' of the Sin'dorei guide!

Humans: Ah...The humans. You'd think because they were allied and helped teach the humans magic, the Sin'dorei would be the bestest friends in the whole wide world, right? WRONG. Bloody, maimed, and just plain wrong. The humans were actually the very reason the Blood Elves left the Alliance. Racism was shoving hard against the Sin'dorei, and they couldn't fight back with a dying race and no resources.

Dwarves: Dwarves are an interesting case. They were allies before, becoming closer during the War of the Three Hammers. Nowadays, the Blood Elves dislike the dwarves due only to association with the humans and our next subject...

Night Elves: The hatred for Night Elves could be considered even worse than the hatred for humans. The Blood Elves consider them cowards for not embracing the arcane and for exiling them. They are truly despised in the eyes of the Sin'dorei.

Gnomes: Hatred by association.

Draenei: Hatred by association as well. Also hated by the Draenei about having a trapped naaru in their home...Well, they would be, anyways. >_>

And now, for the Horde, their 'allies'.

Orcs: The Sin'dorei don't really like the orcs and the orcs don't really like the Sin'dorei in return. The orcs despise them for using fel magic, having gone down that corrupted road once before.

Trolls: Sin'dorei don't hate as much when it comes to trolls as they also really despise the Night Elves. But on the other hand, Sin'dorei dislike trolls due to the Amanis trying to take back their homeland from the Blood Elves. The Trolls don't trust the Sin'dorei, however, so their friendship would be short lived regardless.

Tauren: The Tauren are yet another race who dislike the Sin'dorei. They can no doubt sense the taint of fel magic from the green-eyed elves. The Sin'dorei's opinion of the Tauren? Something like this..."We're allied with the Tauren? Fantastic! We'll be having steak twice a week." You can just sense the love the Sin'dorei show to the Tauren.

Forsaken: The Forsaken are the only friends that the Sin'dorei have in the Horde. Their goals are similar in certain ways, and the Forsaken send aid to the Sin'dorei with decent worth within. Maybe it has to do with the Dark Lady Sylvanas being a former High Elf...

Blood Elves: Sin'dorei hate those arrogant sons of bi-...Wait, Blood elves -are- Sin'dorei...Oops. Anyways, the Sin'dorei love themselves in the 'I just married a mirror because I love my reflection' kind of way. But you knew that. That's why you're playing one in the first place.

And that is the end to my guide on how to be a decent Sin'dorei...
This is a great guide! :D

*hands HeveteSong a basket of muffins and cookies*
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
This is indeed a pretty good guide (excluding some of the recen Blood Elf developement but that´s prefectly fine, I´d say preferable, hehe).
Anyway, here´s a few links that are really useful for anyone interested in the Sin´dorei and their ways.

Blogatelle articles:
Blood Elf Stereotype (1)
Blood Elf Stereotype (2)
The Dangers of Magical Thinking
The Addiction and it´s consequences
The Blood elf playfile
Throwing down the Gauntlet: Blood Elves.

Other:
So you want to be a Blood Elf
WoWWiki:Blood Elf
Dramatis Personae: Blood Elves
WoW RaceNotes: Blood Elves

Also, if you want to get a really good idea about the blood elves culture, thoughts and etc you should read these:
http://destron.blogspot.com/2008/04/ghostlands.html
http://destron.blogspot.com/2008/04/eversong-woods.html
http://destron.blogspot.com/2008/05/sil ... -city.html
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Thanks to both of you! I feel so special now...

And...Now I feel bad that I've titled it the same as another guide on Blood Elves. D:< Oh well, I'm proud of myself for writing it and it's a good help to those who are curious about Belves.
This guide looks good. Impressive :)
What can I do you for?
I've been looking into Blood Elves a lot and i'd really like to be a Blood Elf Paladin, but it seems like with most guides what i've seen has been a pretty hateful race... and not to mention they don't seem to be friendly with anyone besides The Forsaken.

Part of the reason I've wanted to become a Blood Elf Pally was because they seem like somewhat of a good guy, yet at the same time holding onto Horde values, if that makes sense. So I just wanted to know, i've seen a lot of negativity come out of the Blood Elf race through guides and lore, even towards the fellow Horde member, but they aren't all bad, are they?
raigeki2004 Wrote:I've been looking into Blood Elves a lot and i'd really like to be a Blood Elf Paladin, but it seems like with most guides what i've seen has been a pretty hateful race... and not to mention they don't seem to be friendly with anyone besides The Forsaken.

Part of the reason I've wanted to become a Blood Elf Pally was because they seem like somewhat of a good guy, yet at the same time holding onto Horde values, if that makes sense. So I just wanted to know, i've seen a lot of negativity come out of the Blood Elf race through guides and lore, even towards the fellow Horde member, but they aren't all bad, are they?

Blood Elves don't have "horde values", they're more of a "grab the chance to be stronger" type of ally like the Forsaken. That said, there are High Elves who never lost their faith in the Light when they turned to fel magic to support themselves, according to lore. Blizzard just stuck with everybody being a blood knight with stolen holy magic for the sake of easy to make quests. (As having multiple versions of paladins would have been more effort.)
Dang, so the blood elves don't really have any allies then besides the Forsaken? Wouldn't that make it tough to RP as a Blood Elf unless you were planning on being cynical/evil?

Thanks a lot for the information so far, really appreciate it!
Not that tough. I have a Blood Elf paladin who's pretty much goody-goody. These are mostly just guidelines and stereotypes, which do help a lot when creating a character, but you don't absolutely have to follow the average personality to the letter.
Sweet, that's great to know. I just didn't want to play my character different than the typical stereotype and have that be a bad thing and screw stuff up or something. I'll keep that in mind if I get accepted onto the server, thanks again for all the help!
Grah! Your time-frame continues to confuse me!

How old (in this server), would an elf have to be (minimum) to have survived the Scourge invasion?
before u say i am stoling this tesseract let me explain to u a thing
Grah! Your time-frame continues to confuse me!

How old (in this server), would an elf have to be (minimum) to have survived the Scourge invasion?
before u say i am stoling this tesseract let me explain to u a thing
Alakintra Blood Knight
Caediath Ebon Blade, Third War Survivor
Alakintra Blood Knight
Caediath Ebon Blade, Third War Survivor