The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

So you want to be a Paladin?
[Image: 180px-Epic_paladin.jpg]
Paladin History:
Background: (Information from here.)

Paladins are the virtuous defenders of the weak and tireless enemies of the undead. Mixing elements of the warrior and the clerics of the Holy Light, the paladin is a tough melee fighter. The tradition of the Holy Light is unique to a few of the Alliance races and the blood elves of the Horde.

The paladin is a "Warrior of the Holy Light". They uphold all that is good and true in the world and reviles all that is evil and sinister — especially undead and the Burning Legion. They offer succor to the beleaguered and smites his enemies with holy fervor. They are particularly potent against undead, as these creatures threaten the goodly races and the Holy Light burns them terribly. The presence of any evil is reprehensible to the paladin, but he focuses his efforts on destroying undead and demons. These warriors uphold the tenets of the Holy Light and defend the Alliance from the predations of any threat to their peoples. Found in almost every corner of Azeroth fighting the forces of evil and barbarism, these stalwart warriors of faith ceaselessly uphold their vigil against demonic forces from beyond the Dark Portal. Humans, draenei, and Ironforge dwarves are the most likely to become paladins, as these races revere the Holy Light. Blood elves known as Blood Knights bend the powers of the Light to their will, though rumour has it they have recently began to use the Light legitimately. The paladin order, also called the Knights of the Silver Hand, grew out of humanity's culture, and its greatest heroes and fiercest proponents are humans. Ironforge dwarves possess the toughness needed to withstand the onslaught of the paladins' many enemies. High elves rarely become paladins, though this has changed somewhat, as their blood elf brothers and sisters expand the Blood Knight order. The Blood Knights are commonly mistaken as the enemy of the Knights of the Silver Hand by outsiders unfamiliar with the ways of the Light, but this is false presumption. Paladins are the embodiment of goodliness and selfless dedication to the protection of their peoples. They help the innocent and punish the wicked. As such, all paladins are of good alignment.

During the Second War, some paladins' eyes glowed with inner power of the Light, such as the paladin Turalyon. This is not the case for all paladins, though it occurs in game with certain paladin armor sets. Some are Retribution paladins, auradins, or sun paladins. Some are known as paladin warriors (who sometimes become epic paladin warriors). Some paladins choose to become exemplars or templars.

Second War (Information from here.)

Paladins are a holy order of warriors whose purpose is to defend and shepherd the war-torn populace of Lordaeron. Archbishop Alonsus Faol perceived that the pious Clerics of Northshire, who suffered such terrible attrition in the First War, were ill-suited for the dangers of combat. Along with many of the surviving Clerics of Northshire, he sought those of only the greatest virtue among the knighthood of Lordaeron and tutored them in the ways of magic. Led by the crusading Uther the Lightbringer, it now rests upon these paladins — christened the Knights of the Silver Hand — to heal the wounds sustained in combat and to restore faith in the promise of freedom from Orcish tyranny

Third War (Information from here.)

Although the paladins were once loved and revered throughout the lands of Lordaeron, they have since fallen on into hard times. The entire Order of the Silver Hand was disbanded for refusing to kill innocent townsfolk who were believed to be contaminated by the dreaded Undead plague of the scourge. Disenfranchised and driven from their former homes, the paladins still work selflessly to protect humanity from the gnawing jaws of evil. Empowered by the Light, these mighty warriors now brandish both warhammer and holy fire in offensive battle against all who would trample the meek and innocent.

History (Information from here.)
The Knights of the Silver Hand was the original paladin order, the Silver Hand was formed in the Second War and was at its height until the time of the Plague. As paladins were immune to the Plague (and indeed all diseases), many members of the order survived the initial push of the Scourge. Unfortunately, the corrupted Arthas Menethil killed many paladins upon his return (including Uther the Lightbringer), leaving only a scattered few. The Order of the Silver Hand was decimated by prince Arthas Menethil when Uther the Lightbringer refused to aid Arthas in his purging of the city of Stratholme.

Following the invasion of the Scourge, many of the order's paladins joined a zealous group of followers of the Light known as the Scarlet Crusade. However, many of these paladins have become fanatical towards their ambition of destroying the Scourge, to the point that those not wearing their colors are deemed as corrupt. After leaving the Crusade, some paladins decided to join the Argent Dawn. Some paladins have also turned from the light and joined Arthas Menethil as death knights.

Others fled south, to the Kingdom of Stormwind. The paladin order, still referring to themselves as the Order of the Silver Hand, now thrives under their new leadership at the Cathedral of Light in Stormwind City. Over time, the followers of the Holy Light spread their philosophy to the dwarves of Ironforge who soon adopted the tenets of the order as well. Though decimated, the Knights of the Silver Hand eventually bounced back.

Becoming a Paladin:
The first thing you'll need to think up is how your paladin became a paladin and there are only one way to become a paladin unless your character is an older paladin. That is either by becoming the squire of a paladin or by being one of the clerics who became paladins in the second war.

Life as a Squire:
Those who are becoming paladins must study the light under a paladin. They serve as a squire for him following him and learning as he helps bring light to the world. As a squire you would assist in helping those in need and doing things that the Paladin would need done.

The Lessons and Skills of Squires:
The lessons and skills to be acquired by Squires were:
  • The Code of a Paladin
  • Horsemanship
  • The use of weapons - hammer and swordsmanship
  • Develop strength, speed, dexterity and leadership skills
  • He must also learn bravery and the ability to withstand extremes in cold and heat, tiredness and hunger

The Duties and Jobs of Squires
The duties of Squires and life of a squire was quite varied. However they could relate to specific tasks and roles such as:
  • Attending to their Paladins horses - the stabling and care
  • Waiting at table, some duties in the kitchen, arranging for the upkeep of clothing, running errands, carrying messages and guarding their Paladin when he slept
  • Assisting the Paladin in dressing in his armor. Ensuring the armor and weapons of the Paladin were in good order
  • Accompanying their Paladin during the time of war to the battlefield

When the Squires became Paladins:
The Squires served in this role and performed their duties for seven years and became a Paladin at the age of twenty-one. Sometimes Paladinhood was conferred on a squire at an earlier age as the reward for bravery on the battlefield. In time of war Squires accompanied Paladins on the battlefield, leading and tending the horses and dressing them in their armor. They came under fire from arrows and many squires were killed doing their duty.

Teachings of the Light:
The Three Virtues:(Information from here.)
The philosophy of the Holy Light boils down to the three teachings, called the Three Virtues. These virtues — respect, tenacity and compassion — are each defined into a principle and a lesson.

Respect
The first virtue taught is respect. While the Holy Light teaches that awareness of the self and the universe is a goal, one must also see the connection between others and the universe. Destroying other's happiness and severing other's connections with the universe is not serving the world's well being, and therefore not your own. The practitioners of the Holy Light are not naive, however, and understand that trial, conflict, war, and suffering do happen; but they strive to make the universe a better place in spite of these hindrances.

Tenacity
The second virtue is tenacity. The adherence to this virtue is, incidentally, the part of training under the Holy Light that weeds out the unfaithful, as true dedication takes years. Fresh-faced acolytes often lose hope and the true meaning of the Holy Light when they realize that it takes a lifetime to serve the philosophy. The world is much bigger than one lone soul; and while the world can change a soul in a day, it takes much more time to change the world. Only through tenacity can a servant of the Holy Light hope to affect the universe. If some young students feel like this is an impossible task, others take heart in the realization that if you truly believe there is a connection between the self and the universe, one cannot help but affect the other, no matter the size. Affecting the world can include anything from teaching and instilling hope in others to joining with other like-minded individuals to work together to create a bigger change.

Compassion
After the first two concepts are mastered, the student can take on the final virtue: compassion. The connection between the self and the universe is strong, but it still is only one connection. If a follower of the Light serves another to increase his happiness, his bond with the universe grows stronger. The happiness he receives by helping someone also strengthens himself and the universe, and he is able to affect the universe even more.

Compassion is perhaps the most powerful — and yet most dangerous — virtue.

If someone is too compassionate, he can give help where none is needed — or wanted. This oversight can hinder one's growth and happiness. This would suggest that while one may help another with a seemingly impossible quest, such a quest is not in reality, out of the abilities of such a person and as a result of Compassion such a person has failed to grow. Thus, Compassion (However well intentioned) has resulted in anther's inability to grow as the quest was essentially "done for them" and hence, hindering their growth and happiness.

Some helpers can be awkward and do more harm than good with their actions, increasing the suffering and unhappiness in the world. A well meaning follower of the Light may rush to the aid of an adventurer(s) and wind up gaining too much interest of those attacking, and thus force those they try to help to rush to the follower's aid.

This is why compassion is taught last; only the wise and those fully understanding compassion may identify who is truly in need and who can grow on their own.

Code of conduct:(Information from here.)
A paladin must think they are of good alignment and loses all light abilities if he ever willingly commits an evil act. Additionally, the paladin's code requires that he respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use their help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents. While he may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil persons, nor will he continue an association with someone who consistently offends his moral code. A paladin may accept only henchmen, followers or cohorts who are of good alignment. A paladin who violates this code, becomes an ex-paladin, and loses all Light-given abilities and can not train further as a paladin until he atones for his violations.

((Note: Paladins don't always have to work within good or neutral organizations as seen by the Scarlet Crusade and others — however, they do have to believe they are working for good organizations or have faith that their cause is good and just. A paladin can be evil (as illustrated by Renault Mograine), but as long as they believe their cause to be just, the Light will continue to serve them. ))

Paladin Specs IC:
(Original Information)
Now there is a lot of things you must know if your going to roleplay your paladin successfully. First off your paladin is going to need to know about the light and how to wield it. Also he will have to pick one of the three main focus' of using it.

Holy Paladin:
Holy Paladins are paladins who focus their learning to spells and skills that will help and assist in their ability to heal and cure others of illnesses and other afflictions. They are generally less combat oriented and devote themselves to the use of light only though they can and often wield weapons. Masters of the Holy Specialization can cast a shock of holy energy at their enemies and heal almost any wound.

Protection Paladin:
Protection Paladins are paladins who focus their learning to spells and skills that will help them protect themselves and others for example; Devotion Aura, Hand of Protection, Hammer of Justice. They are also combat oriented Paladins who usually wield a hammer and shield but can wield other weapons. Masters of the Protection Specialization can throw their shields and hammers at multiple targets.

Retribution Paladin:
Retribution Paladins are paladins who focus their learning to spells and skills that can help them in combat against the darkness of the world. They use the light as an offensive weapon against their enemies in combat. They are very combat oriented paladins who wield large two handed maces and swords. Masters of the Retribution Specialization can smite their enemies with the light and consecrate the ground around them with the light.

Spells:
One thing I would like to point out is that some spells require a highly skilled paladin then others so here is a list of where I think spells should stand in terms of their difficulty and requirements to use: **It would be wise to choose spells to use and I think if your characters focused on a few to master would be best.

Master Level Spells:
Master Level Spells are spells that should only be known by a few devoted paladins who have spent a lifetime studying the light or who have been given the training from a master and have learned to use it. These spells require a lot of discipline and only those who are strong in the light can use it.
  • [spell]Beacon of Light[/spell] (Requires a lot of energy.)
  • [spell]Holy Shock[/spell] (Emits a lightning bolt of holy energy.)
  • [spell]Divine Storm[/spell] (Massive storm of Holy Energy.)
  • [spell]Hammer of the Righteous[/spell] (Requires a very skilled person to do.)
  • [spell]Holy Wrath[/spell] (Large amount of Holy Energy emits in all directions.)
  • [spell]Hammer of Wrath[/spell] (Forms a hammer of Holy Energy in your hand.)
  • [spell]Avenging Wrath[/spell] (Wings of holy energy... Need I say more.)

High Level Spells:
High level spells are spells that should be known only by those who have been studying the light for a long time or who have been taught the spells by a high level Paladin. These spells require discipline to use and require a person who has a strong connection with the light.
  • [spell]Avenger's Shield[/spell]
  • [spell]Consecration[/spell]
  • [spell]Exorcism[/spell]
  • [spell]Lay on Hands[/spell]
  • [spell]Divine Shield[/spell]
  • [spell]Divine Intervention[/spell]
  • [spell]Retribution Aura[/spell]
  • [spell]Hand of Protection[/spell]
  • [spell]Redemption[/spell]
  • [spell]Seal of the Martyr[/spell]
  • [spell]Seal of Vengeance[/spell]

Medium Level Spells:
These are spells that should be known by intermediate paladins who have been studying the light for a good amount of time. They require less of their wielder then the higher level spells but still require a lot of discipline to use.
  • [spell]Holy Light[/spell]
  • [spell]Blessing of Wisdom[/spell]
  • [spell]Blessing of Might[/spell]
  • [spell]Divine Plea[/spell]
  • [spell]Concentration Aura[/spell]
  • [spell]Divine Protection[/spell]
  • [spell]Cleanse[/spell]
  • [spell]Turn Evil[/spell]
  • [spell]Seal of Light[/spell]
  • [spell]Seal of Wisdom[/spell]
  • [spell]Seal of Command[/spell]
  • [spell]Seal of Justice[/spell]
  • [spell]Hand of Sacrifice[/spell]
  • [spell]Devotion Aura[/spell]
  • [spell]Crusader Strike[/spell]

Low Level Spells:
Low level spells are spells that are spells the require the least amount of skill to use.
  • [spell]Flash of Light[/spell]
  • [spell]Purify[/spell]
  • [spell]Sense Undead[/spell]
  • [spell]Hand of Freedom[/spell]
  • [spell]Seal of Righteousness[/spell]

Notable paladins in lore:

I Might add some more later I'll post a update if I do. If you would like to ask questions I'll also make a F.A.Q. Section for people.
[Image: classic-76561197997915481.png]
Wonderful! I'm glad you posted this. I skimmed it for now since I'm helping a friend with term papers, but when I get back home I'll look at it again in detail.

Cheers!
Bury me on my feet. I have lived my entire life on my knees.
Ew, your guide sucks Tales, I've never seen a guide that sucks more than this guide sucks. It just smells of suck and.... suck!

((But it really rocks! XD))
[Image: Signature.png]
Looks nice, though I personally think it would be better to state that all paladins must think they are of a good alignment, instead of saying that they must be of one. An example would be many of the Blood Knights who from an outside perspective could be classed as evil due to their attitude to others, but from their own point of view they are just protecting their people, same with the Scarlets of course.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

-Updated a few errors.
-Added the part Nostra Mentioned.

Requesting this be moved to Guides.
[Image: classic-76561197997915481.png]
Whoops, I thought I moved it after commenting here, heh, glad someone else did it later then!
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Nice guide, but it doesn't really apply to Draenei (or any race other than a human for that matter) since the perspective of time is different across the board. What could be a long time to a human could be a blink of an eye for a Draenei, so how then can you judge the experience and skill of a paladin for non humans? heh

But still, nice guide, gives a good overall concept of paladins, so thanks (:
I'm a ( to /some/ degree. ) Paladin who is very unfond of other races, seeks solely revenge, and would kill anyone who would try to stop him, does that count for Paladin-ism?
If no, :( :(
If ever a reason was there to complain, here is one. I'm not active for maybe 1-2 months, and I come back, and I find out my character has been deleted, and that some night elf now has his name.

I am displeased.
Yes and no. It depends on your character's motivations and his perceptions.

Say that your paladin is one who is dedicated to a cause that he believes is good and right. He has pursued this cause because of something that has happened to him in the past; his desire isn't motivation, per se, but it is an underlying factor. Those who try to stop him from completing his objectives are expendable.

The best example of this in the Warcraft universe are the members of the Scarlet Crusades, particularly their paladins. Many of them are paladins who have suffered at the hands of the Scourge. Their lands are overrun by undead. Their kin and friends have died horrible deaths. These individuals have banded together to destroy the undead. They are obsessed, however, with their goals; they not only attack undead, but also those that aid them and those who they think aid them. Anyone who tries to stop them is considered as aiding the enemy and is immediately killed.

So, you have an organization of zealots who are pursuing a single collective goal. Their methods are brutal and unorthodox, but their members are still able to utilize the Light. Why? Because use of the Light as a paladin (and, to a certain extent, a priest) is dependent on belief:
  • Is what I am doing is good and
  • Is what I am doing is going to work?

There are numerous paladin archetypes and one of them is most definitely the avenger. I'm in the middle of a raid right now (25-man Icecrown Citadel and trying to teach a raid how to do Blood Queen), but I'll reply here later with some common archetypes that I've seen in roleplay!

Edit: I believe some WoWHead links or something are causing MySQL errors on this page. It takes an inordinate amount of time to load this page and there are errors that are getting listed.
Ahhhhh Piroska you know I love you.

And I now know why you go quite for stretches during our raids!

Your multi-tasking will make your brain explode one day!

I have some light feathers for you btw.
Not quite on point, Tallaa, but fairly accurate! It's only fair to note that, while I do tend to multitask during a raid, I am always on-the-ball when it comes to healing when it's needed. It's not like I'm a certain Restoration druid who decided to watch YouTube videos during a raid.

... and I hate you.
Piroska Wrote:...It's not like I'm a certain Restoration druid who decided to watch YouTube videos during a raid...

I have NO idea who your talking about *cough*
I'd like to point out not all Paladins are of "good" alignment. The Scarlet Crusade is evil. It's well known. And not just cause as a DK you have to butcher thousands. No, Paladins protect the just and punish the wicked...The question is to determine who is just and who is wicked. A Paladin might well kill his Blood Elf fellows for drawing the light off a Na'aru, or kill outsiders for potentially becoming undead (Scarlet Crusade). However, all Paladins are of "Lawful" alignment. They never betray and never succumb to dirty tricks, since they have the holy light.
Okey, could this profile head to WIP so I can carry on modifying more please?

Thanks.
Peace! :D
"Even a stopped clock, tells the right time twice a day."
Necro much?
"Good roleplaying is not equivalent to saying that your character is not interested or molded for a certain situation.
Quite the contrary - good roleplaying is making up a reason for your character to do that thing, no matter the obstacles!"