The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Speak.
There are a few well problems we see in Warcraft which are the common hero sterotypes for all of the races, classes, backgrounds and storylines.
1.The peaceful tauren druid/shaman
2.The rightous human paladin
3.The sly troll doc (Shaman/priest)
4.The always strong 50 to 70 year old orc
5.The sarcastic human rogue
6.The insane spellcaster
7.The genius gnome
8.The drunken dwarf
9.The mercenary/slave human warrior
10.The naturalist hunter

Shouldn't we also see.
1.Druids like Fandral Staghelm, militant and feral warriors of nature
2.Grey guard, a turn on paladins needing to shine brightly in all places with glory, grey guard a quieter paladins that dispense justice in the shadows
3.The not so talented witch doc. (He makes strange potions that have random affects and accidently turned his brother into a toad.)
4.The petit orc male, he never was the big strong guy most orcs are
5.The stupid rogue, he tries stealth but it never works, he tries to disarm the enemy, and loses his own weapon
6.The apprentice mage, a spellcaster that messes up commonly on anything above the most basic of spells
7.The military gnome, he focuses on killing rather than inventing
8.The dwarf that dislikes alchohal
9.The medium rate fighter that is average in all aspects he just took up a weapon and shield in defense of his lands.
10.The hunter-hunter who cares about nature, I gather pelts and meat and sell them
[Image: lich_king_signature_by_wyrx-d3jo9rm.png]
Well, I've always said that a lot of stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason, and though there are certainly different aspects of the population that may act differently than the rest, I don't think that is a reason to want to be seeing more different sorts of characters around than we already have. (As we have quite a few different or unique characters around at the moment). Ultimately this could be something to think about, but people should play their character how they wish to interpret it, and if someone chooses to break the stereotype then good for them, but that doesn't make them any more amazing or special at RP than someone who chooses to stick with the tried and true method. My opinion anyway.
[Image: Signature.png]
I meant this in the terms that, like on the subject on druids, half of them are not peaceful all the time. Most are prety savage, being one with nature can do that to ya.
[Image: lich_king_signature_by_wyrx-d3jo9rm.png]
Brutalskars Wrote:9.The mercenary/slave human warrior

Actually, I think I´ve only seen one of these, hehe.

Quote:1.Druids like Fandral Staghelm, militant and feral warriors of nature

You haven´t met Amon´theriel then, I presume?

Quote:2.Grey guard, a turn on paladins needing to shine brightly in all places with glory, grey guard a quieter paladins that dispense justice in the shadows

I´m not sure but Zamiel isn´t what most would considered "good" more of... well, an overly dramatic and preaching asshole that is rather full of himself and his country. That wouldn´t be classed as this "grey guard" you speak of but at least it isn´t the more standard paladin. I hope, hehe.

3.The not so talented witch doc. (He makes strange potions that have random affects and accidently turned his brother into a toad.)

I guess it´s about time I bring "Zul´"Chan back!

6.The apprentice mage, a spellcaster that messes up commonly on anything above the most basic of spells

Well, isn´t Krillak a apprentice mage? That´s what he tried to tell Alice yesterday at least, hehe.

7.The military gnome, he focuses on killing rather than inventing

What about a drunken brawler (Krent´s gnome, not active much though) or that other gnome with a mohawk?

9.The medium rate fighter that is average in all aspects he just took up a weapon and shield in defense of his lands.

Isn´t there a death knight almost like this? Heh, at least that´s what I read from their profile.

---------------------------------
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Brutalskars Wrote:5.The stupid rogue, he tries stealth but it never works, he tries to disarm the enemy, and loses his own weapon

Makes me miss Heari.

Anyway, there's stereotypes that just work. Dwarves are presented in the lore as being really, REALLY fond of beer. Druids are represented, especially in official artwork, as being pretty chilled out. And on and on. Why? Because they make sense, and they're the norm. Why are they played so much? Two reasons:

- It's a person's first time playing that race/class and they'd like to go with a character that there's plenty of lore to back up. Please note THIS IS PERFECTLY OKAY, and even desirable.

- The idea just works. You see the character type in movies, books, and comics over and over because they work, and you see them played a lot because they work. Or, to be short about it, it's a fun character concept. No wonder lots of people play them! Again, THIS IS PERFECTLY OKAY.

Not to say that your suggestions aren't all viable concepts, too. In fact, I can think of characters I've RPed with in the past that fit probably every single one of them. They're out there, but they're harder to play and may not be as fun for every type of player.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
Someone above said stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason---and this stands to reason. For example, I've been contemplating a character that there's no toss-away-archetype for on this server but can't bring myself to make it because lore may need a tiny finagle or two to make it work.

No, it's not some alter-ego of someone extremely powerful, or anything even remotely important. The fact that there don't seem to be many desert-inclined human forces completely lore-squashes the character concept. And that group no one knew about is asking to be rejected. What I'm saying is, people stick to what everyone else does because we know that will be accepted.

We're guilty of it IRL, and even those who jump to say they do not usually have a comfortable niche group to help them say it louder or at least more comfortable.

If one cannot even safely produce a desert-origins dancing-gypsy-girl (horribly commonplace almost everywhere else) who would have little to no influence on overall lore one can imagine by extension that there are dozens of other creativity vices lovingly clamped around the necks/over the mouths of anyone dreaming up a character. I would list more, but this has dragged on already.

What I'm saying, in a nutshell, is the usual AmyT message. It's no one's fault. We do it to ourselves and with that in mind should be happy with it.
I think perhaps you're getting a bit defensive, if I'm reading that correctly. Relax, all. None of the character concepts in either of Brutalskars lists are forbidden to my knowledge. It's just much, much easier to get a character approved (and to play a character) who has normal lore backing them up.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
I didn't mean to come off defensively. If ire was detected, it was toward something a bit off the subject---that was really just me noticing complaints with no provided solutions. It's a high and unfair standard to say no one can observe a problem if they don't have a suggested and feasible solution---but I'm not perfect.

Sorry if I offended or took the remarks places they didn't need to go.

Everyone gets a free happy cannon shot. On me.
Your anti-stereotypes, I have seen before, I actually own one or two. It's a nice breath of fresh air, and seeing the same old stereotypes over and over does get pretty redundant. Doesn't bother me too much, because every character you come into contact with, you leave a mark. That's why two similiar character ideals come out different as that character matures. Characters in their infantile development stages might fall into a stereotypical air, but give it time. Soon enough that character grows out of it and becomes something else entirely. I'd use some examples of characters on this server, but I wont. Rest assured this happens here also.
ಠ_ಠ : Like Fo Fi Cops.
I have a petite Orc! but she's a she and a roguey! and uses daggers and fist weapons. maybe swords in the future.

Oh, and my gnome, Jaidean, is fairly wary of most products of engineering and has little interest in the subject.

Yinafae has decided that even her own people have forgotten that they worship nature and has mostly become rather rogue. She stays in animal form most of the time, she dislikes people dying and will fight to keep people from dying. If she kills someone, she always makes an attempt to bring them back, and she always tries to heal people. She also had an epic battle with an Orc when she was in Tree form. She might have won had the Orc's allies not jumped in and royally kicked her a**.
How 'bout the Emo Rogue dude, who is all bad-ass an stuff. That is a very important stereotype.
[Image: RorschachSig.jpg]
It is not God who kills the children.
Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs.
It’s us. Only us.~ Rorschach
I don't know, I'd say that's extending beyond stereotype into Mary Sue.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DAMN THIS COMMENT IS FANCY
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Touchseed Wrote:Your anti-stereotypes, I have seen before, I actually own one or two. It's a nice breath of fresh air, and seeing the same old stereotypes over and over does get pretty redundant. Doesn't bother me too much, because every character you come into contact with, you leave a mark. That's why two similiar character ideals come out different as that character matures. Characters in their infantile development stages might fall into a stereotypical air, but give it time. Soon enough that character grows out of it and becomes something else entirely. I'd use some examples of characters on this server, but I wont. Rest assured this happens here also.

This is absolutely true. Should you meet a character on the stereotyped list: Find them a week later. Chances are, they will have changed quite a bit in some ways.

Also, I think many people take these basic, comfortable stereotypes and make their own characters, with a twist. For example, Ophelia. She is "The Sarcastic Rogue" to a certain extent. However, she is also EXTREMELY clumsy on occasion, which often results with her getting caught. It is very rare she isn't caught in one way or another. Think of these stereotypes as the building blocks of roleplay characters.
Ophelia Ebonlocke - Human Vagabond
Katharina Dawnrunner - Sin'dorei Fire Dancer
Maevarian Pawthorn - Repenting Druidess
Ael'iana Silversun - Feminist Blood Knight
Varfolomei Del'runa - Draenei Priestess
I love trying to be unique. How many people play washed out drunks now-a-days?
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Rensin Wrote:I love trying to be unique. How many people play washed out drunks now-a-days?

I think alot did. Yes.. Many many people.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  searve vent or team speak Rangar 3 1,028 06-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Greth
  Drood Speak? Oximoron 9 1,593 09-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Twentilla