The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The Chat Policies/Rules
Recently, we've witnessed disputes about what is and what is not allowed in the different channels in-game. Thus, we want to highlight the available Chat Policies located on our Wiki which is easily accessible through the menu in the left column of the site.

We would also like to clarify these policies to avoid further disputes since players have been attempting to enforce these rules against other players. Players shouldn't feel the need to enforce their fellow players. It shouldn't be needed, quite frankly. While we appreciate that players take the initiative to uphold the rules, that is not a task we want to shuffle onto the players. Upon joining this server, you agree on our rules. Which means we expect you to have read them. It's every players responsibility to make sure they have a grip on the rules of the server.

In order to clarify the rules, I will provide you with the rules directly from the Wiki;

Chat Policies, from here; http://wiki.conquestofthehorde.com/Chat_Policies#Chat Wrote:The following is allowable in Chat:

1. Discussions about RP that may or may not be going on presently.

2. Discussions about lore.

3. Discussions about the server and game mechanics.

4. Discussions about one's real life, provided it is relatively brief.

5. Greetings and goodbyes (Hello server! Hello UnnamedNewbie!)

The following is NOT allowed on Chat:

1. Lolcats, basketcats, Chuck Norris and his roundhouse kicks, Overlord Saurfang and his cleaves, lolwut, X socialite/actress is hot, X socialite/actress is a tramp, fish riding bicycles, O'rly/Ya'rly, IT'S A TRAP, Sailor Moon, The Picard Song, Stan Sells Everything, Cloudsong, u suck lolz, mattress surfing, and anything else on this intellectual level.

2. If it didn't happen to you personally, it shouldn't be here.

3. If you saw it on YouTube, eBaum's, or YTMND, it also probably shouldn't be here, with few exceptions.

Anything else should be shuffled elsewhere.

What these mean in fewer words is basically;

The following five points are allowed in Chat:

1. Discussions about RP that may or may not be going on presently.

2. Discussions about lore.

3. Discussions about the server and game mechanics.

4. Discussions about one's real life, provided it is relatively brief.

5. Greetings and goodbyes (Hello server! Hello UnnamedNewbie!)

... everything else is not. All of the rest falls under the rules applying to our other channels. In general, most of the chatter that won't go in Chat goes into Barrenschat.

Any questions?
*Raises hand*

The lore conversations I start have a habit of being ordered off of chat due to their length, intricacy, or because the person doing the ordering isn't interested in the topic. What's the policy on this? Haha.
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
CotH Wiki - Barrenschat Wrote:3. Ramblings that may continue on for an extended length of time.

Basically, the Lore discussion in itself is allowed in Chat. However, if it gets a bit too long it should be moved into Barrenschat simply because it gets in the way of the RP for the people who are in Chat.
An answer! Horray! Thank you.
Generally, if a lore discussion has indeed gone on for say 5-10 minutes and it's still on the same subject, you're better off taking it to the forums. Not only for less spam, but you'll probably get more answers. :>
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I've been debating writing a post regarding this exact topic, but I was a bit wary that it would have been deemed inappropriate given my relative newness to the server. Because of the inconsistency of the rules and how people have been enforcing them (often in ways that seemed to violate the server's number one rule), I took myself out of Chat within my first three days on the server. It seemed like any time anyone said anything in Chat, it was met with people saying that it should be taken to BarrensChat or private whispers -- even though the wiki states:

Quote:If you just wanna talk, this is the place. Off topic bits, laugh about something that happened IC, whatever, you can do it here. This is not BarrensChat. Talk about your life, your family, but NOT Chuck Norris. Spamming this channel will likely get you reported and possibly banned. Don't do it.
I think that people, in their zeal to help build a better community or maybe contribute in some way, often seize a single, easily-enforceable rule and try to make sure that it's followed by the community. However, the people doing so sometimes do so incorrectly or in a manner that wouldn't normally be taken by the staff (and, given that I don't know what characters staff members have, I can only assume that they were players). I've seen similar reactions when people try to discuss things in General ("Take it to a private channel!") even though the vast majority of the people in the zone were engaged in what appeared to be a simple conversation.

I had written up a really long answer to this in my Gruntship Questionnaire (If you could improve one thing about the server, what would it be?), but it appears that I'll have to find another answer to this question! I may actually rejoin the channel now on all of my characters.

Edit: I think what frustrated me the most that almost every request I made in the channel asking what the difference between Chat and BarrensChat were met with silence -- or further admonishment that I should take my question to BarrensChat. I've been in BarrensChat; I saw the kind of things that went on in there (people talking in all caps, random spammed nonsense, and the like) and while I understand that some people need an outlet like that, I find the whole thing silly and choose to avoid that channel. That's my choice. However, having seen the talks that occur in BarrensChat and having read the rules regarding Chat, I didn't see what the issue was.

Worse, every reply I did get was pretty inconsistent. Rather than get frustrated with the whole thing, I just quietly removed all of my characters from the channel.
Can I make a slight suggestion to the rules and policies?

Any non-GM who screams "Take it to barrens!!!" should be kicked. That's the number 1 reason why I keep chat in a separate window and never ever look at it. Every time you have a discussion going on that goes beyond 2 sentences some moron screams "TAKE IT TO BARRENS OMFG UR RUINING MY RP". I've always been irritated by that. I believe other people are, too.
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
Krent Wrote:Can I make a slight suggestion to the rules and policies?

Any non-GM who screams "Take it to barrens!!!" should be kicked. That's the number 1 reason why I keep chat in a separate window and never ever look at it. Every time you have a discussion going on that goes beyond 2 sentences some moron screams "TAKE IT TO BARRENS OMFG UR RUINING MY RP". I've always been irritated by that. I believe other people are, too.

I think you're putting the community to such a level. I have been in such places and settings, where people were utter morons and spoke this way. And kicking them is , therefore, an appropriate answer.

But in this server, people have a good common sense, and really 99% of the time, any chat branded for Barrens is due to move there. Saying "hi" is fine, drawing a five-minutes long discussion on "hi" isn't. Also, it's funny how I've never seen such a discussion being dished to Barrens after two sentences. And, kicking someone for reminding people about the chat rules? That's going a bit - a lot - too far. Go and blame the players for wanting to play without leaving the chat channel or having to submit to five minutes of Chuck Norris jokes. You're anti-pedagogic (I DO know this word originally applies to small kids, but now it's kind of a generic for "morale-enforcing" or "goody-values-enforcing" or whatever, but this is off-topic)

You are basing yourself and your argumentation on exagerrated (not even empirical) facts. True, some people are over zealous, but to the point of kicking them? Just remind them that General is allright for discussion, that Chat is allright, so long there's no abuse, and that silliness goes to Barrens, and that if they're not happy they can leave themselves the channels. The punishment you offer is also so disproportionned. You are just, by kicking players recklessly, opening the way to a GM-cratic server, and eventually, you are going to instill in the players and the community a feeling of inferiority and helplessness, even in proper conditions. Not telling you're paving this golden way for facts that aren't true. I couldn't emphatize it more :

This community has more common sense than all of the retail servers combined. So bear common sense yourself, reminding firmly players is much more effective than beating them. And please, I beg you, don't lower the level of the server to that of a retail one, where all players are, by definition, guilty, misbehaving kids!

(However, on a retail RP server, your point about kicking players for such matters would totally suceed and win. Yes, on a retail server.)
Krent Wrote:Can I make a slight suggestion to the rules and policies?

I'm confused by that policy. What is the point of a global channel indicated for chat -- one which, by the way, every neophyte member is invited to join -- if every discussion that channel is told to go elsewhere? If the intent of the channel is to talk and if it's ruining people's ARPEE, why are they even in the channel?

As a new member, I was put off by the attitude you have describe, Krent. The people in that channel came across as being unfriendly and unhelpful -- which they very well might not be, but if I saw a person reprimanded forcefully every time he spoke in a channel, what else would I be expected to think? I know that there are nice people on this server, but for a first impression it wasn't a good one.

Balth, I know that I have no empirical evidence to back up my comments. However, I do have the perception of a new person to the server and, having spoken to friends who joined the server the same time I did, they have the same one. As I noted before, I left Chat on the third day because I was tired of feeling frustrated with the channel, the inconsistent nature of the rules (which I have learned were incorrect), and the people who thought to enforce them.
Krent actually has a point, I've not been back on the server for very long (barely two days!) and both times I logged in and gave a hello in the channels and immediatly me and those who greeted me got told we should take it to the barrens. It really seems to have gone a bit far, this is worse than what it was way back when we were stricter with the chat rules and I've been tempted to act harsly against the people doing it.

That said, I don't think we should start kicking the people who do take it there, instead we hope this thread will help calm everyone down. Personally, I'm pretty relaxed when it comes to the the chatter in the /chat channel and will let most everything that's not chuck norris or spam (like the same message posted every other minute) slide, so having people tell me to go to barrens (a channel I have good reasons not to be in) for saying hello or giving a heads up to people that I'm online and looking for RP is just... ridicilous.

PS: Piroska, I think Krent meant that anyone who incorrectly tries to enforce those rules should be kicked, not those who just wants to chat like any sane person.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

I think you misunderstood my misunderstanding of Krent's comment, Nostra! My confusion arises from the people who are in the Chat channel but don't seem to want any discussion in said channel. That confuses me; I merely quoted Krent's post because his request sparked the thought. He had commented that people were demanding that others go BarrensChat when a discussion had exceeded two lines.
Clearly it is a recurring problem:
A Chat about Chat
Chat Is -not- the new Barrens
A Request for Clarification
Oh dear.
Reason it's a recurring problem? We state the same thing over and over, and people either read too far into it, or not far enough. Spam is basically any darned discussion that floods the chat channel.

And I do understand Krent's point, sometimes I've seen more than a few players ask stuff to be moved, when it's usually something small happening.

However, I feel funny for booting someone that says that due to the fact I'd come off as a hypocrite for enforcing the channels then booting someone for asking.

HOWEVER, that depends on how the person asks, too.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Chat never ruins my RP for one reason Separate Chat Boxes I would recommend every one to do it. When I make a new Character it is the very first thing I do. Make a new chat box and put Say, Yell, and Emote and all the NPC chats into it and take them out of the original box. By separating OOC and IC this problem is practically Nil and you will never miss a IC post again.

If you don't know what I am talking about here is a tutorial on how to do it. Click Me
Think people are taking my post way too literal and serious. Can't blame 'em, sarcasm is as easy to detect as benign armpit cancer on the internets. But believe me when I say that I wouldn't make such "anti-pedagogic" statements if I hadn't been around for a long, long while, having to put up with people's pedantic fits of overreaction.

I might not have "empirical data" to back up my hyperbole (...how the hell could I? Take a screen shot every time someone acts like a GM-wannabe in chat? If I did, my WoW screen shot folder would be larger than my collection of por-, err, portraits. 'cause I'm an artist who downloads a lot of porrrr...traits...yeah.), but I've been more irritated at people screaming at others for chatting in the chat channel. Especially over the silliest little things, like someone responding to a "How are you?" question with "Fine.". Yes. I have seen it.

And believe me. I hate all things related to retarded internet. ESPECIALLY memes. Don't even get me on that rant on how 4chan, and everything related to it, is killing the internet. People spamming everything with the same god-damn retarded memes like THE GAME and BARREL ROLL and EPIC FAIL and whatever the f**k gaESGTPIOASDHF:SAHLXGFSRA:LHGAEW":@$ IT GETS ME RAGING BECAUSE I CAN'T ESCAPE IT NO MATTER IF IM IN AN RP FORUM OR FPS FORUM OR CHATROOM OR FACEBOOK OR ANYTHINGSDA:GOASDHGFSDA:OHGASD:GOHASDF:AS!~

So I'm all for shoving those lol cat can has cheezeburger people into barrenschat. But people trying to be all Chat Vigilante and righteous in the channel proves to be the most annoying element for me in the chat channel. 's why I ignore it so.

And why I believe Chat will always be the mad house it's been since the day this server made it an official channel.

On a side note. as I stroll down memory lane, I remember that there was at one point a time where we had to make a separate channel for lore discussions, because people were getting so uptight and debate-happy about things that chat would erupt into long arguments. Is that channel still up in effect? Hope it ain't. Bloody hell, I don't want to return to those days...
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gentle Reminder: Skype & Chat Policies Loxmardin 0 1,684 07-11-2014, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Loxmardin
  Barrens Chat IRC Kretol 2 2,011 01-30-2014, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Kretol
  Chat Channel Policing Grakor456 11 3,515 09-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Touchseed
  Server Rules and Policies Cressy 5 1,586 07-30-2010, 01:24 AM