The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The F-Bomb in a Fantasy Genre?
Hey CotH, this is something that just has been nagging at me for a while.
But just when was it acceptable to use the 'f-bomb' and the 's-word' in a fantasy game? This is a game with no relation at all to our world, so... what's up with that?

The word "damn" is used a few times in WoW lore. It's used in other fantasy genres, as well. Apparently, its the only swear word in relation synonymous with the English language and "Common", and any other swear words, if any, are started from within the game.

Your thoughts on this?
We are the hero of our own story.
- Mary McCarthy

Carathor Wrathwood: an enigmatic Night Elf with many wild stories to tell.
Azitalon "Thunderscream": the ruthless Chieftain of the infamous Wartusk clan.
I think that it is the concept that in almost every culture/language/society/blur blur blur, there are going to be profanities that emphasize the same meaning as the "f-bomb".

Now, do we all want to create a new one for this world? Eh, no. So by being lazy like we are people are going to just use it.

With that though, comes responsibility. Is your character going to have a mouth like that? If so where did you learn that sort of naughty language?!

/shrug

Just pulling things that I learned within my Linguistic Anthropology classes during college. We actually studied what made up the languages and found that in many, even small tribes, there were taboo words like that used.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
Saying the F word wouldn't necessarily mean your character said the f word though.

After all, when you say "I slept", the character doesn't say "I slept" either, they're talking common/orcish. But as we don't understand those, it's translated to English for us.

That said, I prefer to stick to something that fits the character. An orc would insult somebody by saying they're dishonourable, while my mage uses 'What in the Nether" instead of the usual what the f....
Think of it like this; no one speaks common in real life, so when you speak english, it translates it into common. So when you drop the f-bomb, you're not actually saying the f-word, you're just saying a word that's vulgar in their vocabulary that would fit in that situation.

I also like using 'What the fel?' hehe
[Image: Calvin_and_Hobbes_hug_by_Humongous_E.png]
In a fantasy larp that I play a common dwarf cruse is "By Tyrra's beard." Tyrra being the IC name of the planet that game takes place in. Also they sling insults by saying "Your beard is unkept and thin." And such things.
I myself have always deterred from utilizing the words in roleplay; mostly because their induction in Azeroth has always struck me as classless and impulsive.

Of course, curse words will always exist. Example, such as my warrioress, whom naturally curses like a sailor - you'd expect those words would be part of her everyday dialect. They are, to a degree, but I always change the words a bit. (Fook, shite) Partly to accommodate the accent, but also to adhere to PG-13 standards. I realize that other people will utilize the words, but I'm not going to reprimand them for doing so, even if I personally feel that they detract from the overall immersion.

I've always thought it to be more creative and fun to make up curse words that would fit within the context of the game; as words are reliant upon context, association, and emphasis. Words only have as much power as you give them - so with this in mind, if someone manages to create some kind of word that both offends, and amuses - that person has suddenly created something that may infectiously spread through the dialects of others by the basis of reaction alone.

One mention, has to be the beloved Thief series - where people use "taff" as a very generic, and fitting slang/wear word. "Taff off!"
I would love to see something like this within Azeroth, as that would prove to be both amusing and immersive. I can only envision the kinds of insults that would be derived from the Gnomish vocabulary.
[corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][tr=0][th=4]Character Information[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][td=1,]Name[/td][td=1,]Affiliation[/td][td=1,]Status[/td][td=1,]Title[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Ivy Killinger[/td][td=1,]The Lodestone Company[/td][td=1,]Inebriated[/td][td=1,]Drunken Fightin' Wench[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Uulari[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Seer[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Vyrsallia Scythefall[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Guttersnipe and Ne'erdowell[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners]
[Image: badge.jpg]
I'm a Shaman? Really? Huh.
That word is actually not a new one at all. It can be traced earlier than Latin, but I know for sure in Latin "Futuo" (correct me if I am wrong, I am rusty) is a direct translation into the f-word, and it was held just as vulgar.
☃ This is my snowman. He's there to remind me how much I hate the snow.
MoonlightBlossom Wrote:Of course, curse words will always exist. Example, such as my warrioress, whom naturally curses like a sailor - you'd expect those words would be part of her everyday dialect. They are, to a degree, but I always change the words a bit. (Fook, shite) Partly to accommodate the accent, but also to adhere to PG-13 standards. I realize that other people will utilize the words, but I'm not going to reprimand them for doing so, even if I personally feel that they detract from the overall immersion.

And that is the same with me. I have -one- single character that curses, and that is because as she began to learn more common/orcish it was from Goblins. Obviously they are going to be using some fort of dirty language but she never actually says the word. Always like what Moonlight says.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
Make up your own curse words, it's always fun. But do it with a common sense too.
My main character uses "Murloc spit!" to express amazement. xD
"Educate yourself in the art of true metal."
"From the Heaven of My Heart" & "Silver Bride" - Amorphis (Skyforger)

"Beyond the Stars"
~ Head over to our own subforum on CotH Worlds and enjoy. ^^
This recently leaked photograph shows that you can use whatever cuss words you want! Even Thrall says the F-word.

[Image: ThrallFuck.jpg]
Kaghuros, I basically just soiled myself and cried a lot with laughter.

My abs which I thought were non existent, are now hurting.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u9KDMWJsAM">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u9KDMWJsAM</a><!-- m -->
If Thrall says it's ok. Then it must be ok.
☃ This is my snowman. He's there to remind me how much I hate the snow.
Oh Thrall, you saucy chap.
˜★Sketch Blog
Well then. That sorts that out! Despite the fact he has a rather odd taste in hats...

But yeah, I think every one of my characters swear... I should really rethink that... XD
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
What's wrong with flowers and horns, Hawk?!

We could use some swearwords invented by Oxhorn!
Little by little, one travels far.