The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The Nature of Magic in Azeroth
I actually had a good RP dealing with these concepts a while ago, and I thought a post detailing the nature of the many forms of "magic" in WoW would be helpful for those RPing such characters and don't have access to such tools as the d20 books. It might put some things into perspective and aid RP ideas. That noted, I don't actually own the d20 books, but I have read sections of a couple of them, so the below is just from my understanding of those books and the lore from WoW itself. Of course, corrections and discussion and what-not is certainly welcome.

Mages and Warlocks - The Arcane

Mages, Warlocks, and NPC entities such as Necromancers deal with the true form of magic in Azeroth, the Arcane. All practicioners of the Arcane have to deal with a few basic facts: the Arcane corrupts, the Arcane is addictive, and the Arcane attracts creatures from the Nether.

Use of the Arcane is without a doubt addictive. Not just the power that it gives, but the sensation of that power, the rush it gives, can change the ones who wield or receive it. But the Arcane also corrupts, not just in this manner, but it can change a person entirely. The Arcane is a naturally "dirty" form of power, and use will slowly alter the user...the more one uses, the more the user is affected.

The Sunwell was thought to be the strongest source of Arcane power. As it was a corrupt source itself (one can read the Warcraft history on the WoW site to see why this is,) it would naturally taint all those that drew upon it. The Blood Elves are the most common example, being addicted to the power that it gave off. Arcane power is otherwise nearly everywhere, perhaps remnants of the Sunwell's former power. Either way, Mages work by seizing this power from the area about him, forcefully taking it and working it into whatever spell they wish to cast.

The difference between Mages, Warlocks, and Necromancers is largely simply a focus of study. Warlocks and Necromancers draw more directly from corrupted forces, such as demons, which makes resisting corruption all the more difficult for them. However, for all users of the Arcane, it is a constant battle to remain in control of their power and to not fall into Arcane addiction and corruption. This is a fight that everyone is almost doomed to fail.

Shaman and Druids - The Natural

Shaman and Druids operate on a very different level than Mages. The power that they use is not "magic" in the strictest sense of the word, but is close enough for the mundane to assume it so. Natural power such as this is instead inherently pure and uncorrupting. Indeed, by its very nature only the uncorrupted can draw upon this power.

Natural power is built upon a foundation of respect. Druids and Shaman deal and form relationships with things that most do not normally consider sentient, such as the elements or the spirits of nature. A natural caster must not only earn the trust of the world he wishes to form a bond with, but he must work to be worthy of that trust. Should that trust be lost, the power abandons him.

While a Mage forcefully takes power, a Druid or Shaman has to request it. One does not force the natural world to give him power, and attempting to force it will often result in failure. This respect, the natural world to the caster and back, forms the basis of the power these characters possess.

The difference between Druids and Shaman is more pronounced than between Mages and Warlocks. Druids focus mostly on the living world, such as animals and plants, while Shaman deal with spirits and the elements themselves. There is, of course, some overlap, as the Druid can deal with more elemental energies in some cases (such as use of Cyclone) and the Shaman can deal with certain animals (most commonly wolves.)

Priests - The Internal

It is often a misconception that a Priest draws power from the object of his belief. For example, that a Human draws power from the Light. This really isn't true, though it comes close in certain cases.

A Priest focuses on the concepts of belief and thought. The Light may not give a Priest true power, but the Priest's *belief* in the Light does. Through mental training, strong belief, and force of will, a Priest can use his own faith and belief to affect the thoughts and beliefs of those around him. This is why the Priest has so many abilities that affect the mind, because his own powers are highly mental in nature.

Because of this, a Priest's power isn't inherently unclean like a Mage's, or inherently clean like a Druid's. Instead, it is a reflection of the Priest's own self and beliefs. A Priest who believes in the Shadow will naturally have powers of a darker nature than one who believes in the Light. The path of a Priest is just as much an exploration of the self as it is a road to power.

Paladins - The Holy

To be honest, Paladins were once thought to gain power in a similar manner as Priests. This was later proven false by the introduction of the Naaru. Paladins draw, whether knowingly or unknowingly, power from these strange beings. The power that the Paladins draw is inherenly holy, much as the power drawn from demons is the opposite.

Not all that much has been confirmed (that I've seen) about Paladin powers beyond this. The Blood Elves seize their power forcefully, while the Paladins of the Alliance get it through gentler means. In both cases, however, it is not drawn from the self as a Priest draws power. This explains why the Blood Elves could have Priests, but could not have Paladins until the Naaru was enslaved.
Thank you very much for posting this! This helps alot, even if I dont have any characters that reliy on any of this. :D

Would love if you posted some stuff about Fel as well
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
-Take nothing for granted. -
[Image: tumblr_m3fonvvR601qktztio3_250.gif]
I think, if I read the description right, Fel magic is just what happens when you get arcane magic corruption on anything else.

...Kinda like rust.
Fel Energy - The ultimate manifestation of the demonic arcane on Azeroth is fel energy.; This energy, which most commonly manifests itself as ghastly, green-yellow flame, is arcane magic at its most corrupt, for it employs the blood of demons. Spells with the fel descriptor are often very difficult to resist. Casters who cast fel spells also risk massive amounts of Arcane Corruption (If you want to know various phases of corruption, let me know and I'll type it up.)

Casting a fel spell is described by many spellcasters as a euphoric experience. If arcane magic is an addiction, fel magic is the embodiment of the drug in its purest form.

Since the Burning Legion returned to Azeroth, the world's heroes have encountered fel weapons and fel magic with increasing frequency. As demon cults continue to fester and grow in Desolace, the Ashenvale Forest and other remote corners, gruesome sacrifices are held to entice demons into giving their blood to trade. The cultists use this blood to enchant the weapons that they hope will bring about their masters' ultimate victory.

Fel Offerings - Demons will sometimes tempt spellcasters by offering small amounts of their blood in exchange for services. If the recipient drinks the demon's blood within 24 hours of the offering, then the next arcane spell he casts will be a fell spell.

Fell blood is highly addictive as well as corrupted. Anyone who drinks it will become dependent on fel blood, unless they have a strong will to ignore the hunger.

I could give you more insight of Fel, but that's the basics =D
Sticky this Kretol! And do tell usthe whole thing xD
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
-Take nothing for granted. -
[Image: tumblr_m3fonvvR601qktztio3_250.gif]
I'll have to wait until I get home, but I could give you a breakdown of the entire history of magic and how it came to be.
Quote:Kendei wrote:
I'll have to wait until I get home, but I could give you a breakdown of the entire history of magic and how it came to be.

Show off
This is a -very- interesting post, and it should be added to the wiki...or something. *Looks around nervously* Was that good Qaza?
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Stickied for now until I have time to move it.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
*Cheers for Qaza*
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Where could one find more information, or someone with information, about the corrupting influence of Fel magic? I fear I've neglected this aspect in Sorel's character. It is something I'd like a bit more information on so it can be RP'd properly.
Simon - Ancient Vindicator
Sorel - I'm a spice trader. No, really, that's what I am! Ignore the Voidwalker behind the curtain...
Irasis - Mute undead warrior-priest
Fel Magic corrupts as Arcane does, but faster. This is taken directly from the book:

When the demons brought death and damnation to Azeroth, they also carried their own brand of magic to the world. Fel magic is pure, evil and arcane, and it resides in the blood of demons. This blood has magical properties; it addicts arcane magic users and can be used to create evil weapons.

Some arcanists can cast fel spells, perhaps after drinking demon blood.

When a wepaon is forged in demon blood, it becomes a fel weapon. It glows with a foul, yellow-green fire and deals extra damage to good-aligned opponents.

Drinking demon blood grants all of the imbiber's arcane spells the ability to be fel spells for up to one hour, but this does not come without a price. The drinker may become addicted and dependent on demon blood. Every day they do not imbibe demonic blood, their caster powers are reduced and weakened. They can attempt to break the addiction over time.
Alfie...does that mean that Warlocks have to imbue demon blood on a daily basis, or is this refereing to mage that wants to give his magic a Fel kick? Kind of like mixing Red Bull with your whiskey.
Simon - Ancient Vindicator
Sorel - I'm a spice trader. No, really, that's what I am! Ignore the Voidwalker behind the curtain...
Irasis - Mute undead warrior-priest
Warlocks would have to imbibe demonic blood =)

Considering they seemingly can cast fel magic at will, if they want to cast fel spells. Keep in mind that the magic Warlocks in game use isn't really fel. It's..shadow magic.

To give a spell that of fel, you imbibe the blood.
I've always been curious about a particular aspect of magic. In many fantasy worlds - and, I believe, Azeroth - the ability to sense magic has been present. My question for the forums is; to what extent do these senses extend?

When I say that people can detect magic, I mean in general people who have already been attuned to magic. Mages, druids, warlocks, even paladins and priests, any magic user of some proficiency. I could probably find an example of these powers in the lore (most likely the number of novels I've got) if need be.

I'd always imagined this magical sense would be like a sixth sense that would use more than one of the five senses, as well as a sort of "gut feeling". A warlock, for example, would give off a sort of dark "aura", which could manifest in a feeling of discomfort in people around the warlock, as well as a faint glow around the person, a sort of lack of light. Perhaps a better explanation of that last phenominon would be with a paladin or another force of "good"; one would see them with a sort of holy aura about them (light eminating off of them faintly, etc), and a feeling of calm coming over someone around them. That sort of thing.

Larger sources of magic (such as... the Sunwell, for example) would have a larger aura of their own, perhaps not manifesting in such a visual means as much as one situated in a person. Objects would follow the same principles.

Magical shielding would also be an option; a personal shielding spell for a warlock or someone else who wants to go incognito, or a larger weave of spells for a warlock coven or something similar.

What's this server's official stance, if it has any?
Laugh all the way to hell.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arcane Magic and You - A Dummy's Guide to the Arcane Theik 15 9,263 12-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Harmonic
  Fel Magic: A Junkie's Guide. (Answering Questions!) Kaghuros 49 16,123 04-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Beltharean
  Magic and You - Understanding the Mystical Vorce 27 9,280 08-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Last Post: JaydeSunheart
  Love in Azeroth -- A quick guide to customs of main races. Qaza 29 12,665 07-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Miah