The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The Possibilities of Engineering
So, Gazzick's a masterful engineer.. but engineering can only go so far.

Do you guys think there's a logical means to make goggles that allow one to see?

Do you guys think there's a logical means to make goggles that allow one to read different languages without knowing them first?

What do you guys think about this?
Furidan: The Elven Woodsman
Gazzick Tabblebolt: The Engineer Master!
[Image: a10a881f7c7a1fb2c3839d662ebaa24a.jpg]
Goggles that allow you to see? Yup. Put clear lenses in 'em, it works wonders.

Joking aside, goggles that enhance sight in one way or another are fairly within reach of the lore, I think. There's goggles that allow for greater distance vision, seeing stealthed targets easier, etc... Not so sure about the languages thing, though, it just sounds like a bit of a stretch to me.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
I'll simply point out a couple of things:

1. Engineering in Azeroth is still a limited and fairly primative science. They don't have a lot of the things that we do in our day and age.

2. ...on the other hand, there are some things they have that we do not. Transporters, anyone?

3. There is a BIG difference between enhancing existing sight, and giving sight to someone who is blind/does not have it to begin with.

4. Some things that I've heard suggested that Engineering be possible to do are things that logically Magic can do. The two can not, and should not, do the exact same things.

Discuss away.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
So your saying it might be possible for a Blind person to see by means of magic or enchantments?
The Bard Wrote:So your saying it might be possible for a Blind person to see by means of magic or enchantments?

How do you think Illidan and other Demon hunters see?
Have you ever wondered which hurts the most: saying something and wishing you had not, or saying nothing, and wishing you had?
The Bard Wrote:So your saying it might be possible for a Blind person to see by means of magic or enchantments?

What Grakor said was:
Quote:There is a BIG difference between enhancing existing sight, and giving sight to someone who is blind/does not have it to begin with.

So, no, I don't think that's what he was saying at all. In essence, sticking really strong reading glasses on someone who has optical nerve damage or is flat out missing their eyes will do nothing.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
Well, why can't magic and engineering combine?

Just look at the Gnomish Poultryizer. (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=23835) It needs magical powder and crystals to make and it has the same effect as Polymorph: Chicken.
Varithos Wrote:Well, why can't magic and engineering combine?

Just look at the Gnomish Poultryizer. (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=23835) It needs magical powder and crystals to make and it has the same effect as Polymorph: Chicken.

Well, I've stumbled upon this awhile back: http://www.wowpedia.org/Techno_mage

It looks like magic AND technology can be mixed. Sort of frowned upon though.
Never heard of a Techno-Mage. Maybe Gazzick could combine magic and engineering by using Gyran's magicks?
I'm not talking about glasses any more, but perhapse a runecloth heavily enchanted with Scrying or similar enchantments. Could this give a blind person sight?
The Bard Wrote:I'm not talking about glasses any more, but perhapse a runecloth heavily enchanted with Scrying or similar enchantments. Could this give a blind person sight?

Difficult to say. However, in a world where resurrection is an actual possibility, I'd have a hard time imagining very many disabilities/ailments as being incurable. Unfortunately, this can damper down some RP potential when any condition or ailment on the planet can get fixed with a Priest/Druid/Shaman/Paladin's spell.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Good point, I'm going to drop this idea as your statement makes sense. We need a mesuere of vanuarbility (spelling). [*]hanks everyone for your impute.
Varithos Wrote:Never heard of a Techno-Mage. Maybe Gazzick could combine magic and engineering by using Gyran's magicks?

He could, but Techno magery is generally a first-person deal; i.e. it's not common to develop for a mage since only the mage knows how their magics work. Also, the whole "taboo" thing comes to mind (although gnomes are more accepting about techno mages for obvious reasons)

I guess it's like developing a brush to improve a person's painter, but not being a painter.
˜★Sketch Blog
I don't know about goggles that allow you to see. I imagine that you could "improve" your body and it's senses using Engineering (even further improve it with magical engineering), like the Mo'arg do.

As for giving sight to someone who can't see, engineering may not be required. Dizzy One-Eye in Booty Bay, anyone?
To go back to the original post, and one of the issues (that does kinda affect Aela): Goggles that let you read a language you can't already. I can... kind of see a general way to work this with engineering. Kind of. To break it down:

With Engineering:
I'd say you'd need to be able to read a language of some sort first. So the goggles would be translating it into that for you. Somewhat simply. Might be google-translate style syntax, but the idea is there

With Magic:
You know it. Flat out. Goggles of Magic Language knowing explain it all.

I guess my general view of Engineering vs. Magic is: Magic will do it, without the need for explaining, ICly, more beyond "A wizard did it". Engineering can do similar things, but requires some explanation of HOW.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lost limbs and magic/engineering. Good or bad? Saiyuu 39 5,941 12-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Last Post: c0rzilla
  Possibilities and Variants Grakor456 130 20,481 09-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Grakor456
  A question of engineering. Thayan 2 932 04-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Thayan
  Just imagine the possibilities Sarion 8 1,431 01-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Last Post: farmerzjohn
  Curious on the Extent of Engineering. GaldorXII 5 1,324 10-13-2008, 05:46 AM
Last Post: ShadowStormSimon