The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The Possibilities of Engineering
finagle67 Wrote:With Engineering:
I'd say you'd need to be able to read a language of some sort first. So the goggles would be translating it into that for you. Somewhat simply. Might be google-translate style syntax, but the idea is there

<snip>

I guess my general view of Engineering vs. Magic is: Magic will do it, without the need for explaining, ICly, more beyond "A wizard did it". Engineering can do similar things, but requires some explanation of HOW.

Here's the thing. Poultryizer...HOW does it work? And an intelligent translation system would require computers, which don't exist.

That's the problem I have with Engineering in general...it doesn't make sense, nor does it even try to do so. There are some things that it CAN do, and then there are things that it CAN'T, and the two are separated only by whim and fancy. You don't know what it can do unless Blizzard tells you "Yes, it can do this."

This is why I follow a simple rule regarding Engineering: if there's evidence that it CAN do this, then it can. If I don't see an example in-game anywhere that it can, then it can't.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Okay, so you're saying that if I want to make something as Gazzick, I need a good IC reason as to how it works? That'll be a challenge, but I'm sure I can come up with something..
Furidan: The Elven Woodsman
Gazzick Tabblebolt: The Engineer Master!
[Image: a10a881f7c7a1fb2c3839d662ebaa24a.jpg]
Varithos Wrote:Okay, so you're saying that if I want to make something as Gazzick, I need a good IC reason as to how it works? That'll be a challenge, but I'm sure I can come up with something..

That's not what I said at all.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
I think that what Grakor means is that if you can´t find a certain engineering device in game you can´t do it IC´ly either.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Nostra Wrote:I think that what Grakor means is that if you can´t find a certain engineering device in game you can´t do it IC´ly either.

Grakor Wrote:This is why I follow a simple rule regarding Engineering: if there's evidence that it CAN do this, then it can. If I don't see an example in-game anywhere that it can, then it can't.
That is EXACTLY what Grak said, Alice.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Heh, yeah. Thought I should try to explain it a lil´ bit for Varithos who apparantly didn´t understand. *Smirk*
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Eh, sorry. I'm not in my right mind currently. @.@
Furidan: The Elven Woodsman
Gazzick Tabblebolt: The Engineer Master!
[Image: a10a881f7c7a1fb2c3839d662ebaa24a.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lost limbs and magic/engineering. Good or bad? Saiyuu 39 5,941 12-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Last Post: c0rzilla
  Possibilities and Variants Grakor456 130 20,481 09-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Grakor456
  A question of engineering. Thayan 2 932 04-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Thayan
  Just imagine the possibilities Sarion 8 1,431 01-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Last Post: farmerzjohn
  Curious on the Extent of Engineering. GaldorXII 5 1,324 10-13-2008, 05:46 AM
Last Post: ShadowStormSimon