The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The Undead, a guide.
Well, if it's any consolation, all Undead fear the process of pretty much losing their mind, and turning into the Scourge.

If anyone's seen Lord Of The Rings when Theoden is a complete dunce, you'll get the picture. Except this is on a much higher level.

WoWWiki Wrote:While technically immortal, some Forsaken exhibit signs of old age, losing their identities and eventually sentience. They appear as dying old humans, feeble and scared, with a cold growing inside them, and forgeting who they are. They are losing their mind to the Scourge, and would eventually become a "mindless one" - an unintelligent zombie. All forsaken fear this process, as it means they revert to the Scourge's will and lose themselves to the Lich King and his dominance. The Forsaken will often kill these poor souls, perhaps as a form of mercy.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Yea, well something happened the other day including a Forsaken and Human but I'd just like to add this:-

The Forsaken and all dead creatures are like one of the most scariest creepiest things you can find on Azeroth, I mean they're dead, the mental influence they have on humans when in battle is extraordinary. After all I'd like to see someone who could face up to an Undead that was formally your friend or even part of your family. Just to keep it simple most humans are terrified of all Undead and the mental influence it can have on you is beyond anything else.

Great guide by the way, this helped me develop all of my Forsaken characters. Job well done.
Kind of a necrosis (pun intended) but, the undead can survive through severed heads, arrows through the brain, etc.

I can show you two clear examples of this. In the apothecarium, if you look around on the tables you can see an abomination head, with a horrified look on
it's face, and the eye looking around like, "WTF?!?" meaning it has thought and control of it's... 'body'

and second, is the mindless zombies in the forsaken starting area. They have Control over their actions, attacking, knowing the difference between their own and forsaken. Yet, they have a large arrow jutting out from their temple...

So, I'm assuming we can say that you need to crush the brain, or slice it in half. If you sever the head, or only puncture it that's kit enough. Your blade has to go THROUGH the SKULL.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
Kind of a necrosis (pun intended) but, the undead can survive through severed heads, arrows through the brain, etc.

I can show you two clear examples of this. In the apothecarium, if you look around on the tables you can see an abomination head, with a horrified look on
it's face, and the eye looking around like, "WTF?!?" meaning it has thought and control of it's... 'body'

and second, is the mindless zombies in the forsaken starting area. They have Control over their actions, attacking, knowing the difference between their own and forsaken. Yet, they have a large arrow jutting out from their temple...

So, I'm assuming we can say that you need to crush the brain, or slice it in half. If you sever the head, or only puncture it that's kit enough. Your blade has to go THROUGH the SKULL.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
Severe trauma to the body or the severing of the head or destruction of the brain will kill or at least incapacitate a Forsaken. Remember that those other Undead are completely mindless, and Forsaken seem to be a little more delicate than your average Lich King thrall. Granted, they can take a massive amount of wounding before going down when compared to a Human or other living creature, but if you did something very harmful to their brain they would probably revert to mindless before being finished off and it would count as a loss of character anyway.

There might be sourcebook material that has a better answer, though, as hesitant as I am to pull from most of the RPG books.
Severe trauma to the body or the severing of the head or destruction of the brain will kill or at least incapacitate a Forsaken. Remember that those other Undead are completely mindless, and Forsaken seem to be a little more delicate than your average Lich King thrall. Granted, they can take a massive amount of wounding before going down when compared to a Human or other living creature, but if you did something very harmful to their brain they would probably revert to mindless before being finished off and it would count as a loss of character anyway.

There might be sourcebook material that has a better answer, though, as hesitant as I am to pull from most of the RPG books.
Aye, looking at the undead in game those with clear braindamage are either Scourge or seem to be down to very basic "zombie-state", there's a few Forsaken zombies with arrows through the head but as we can see from their talk windows - where they only say things such "urrgl buurgl" or similar- they aren't very intelligent, think the zombie servants from Fido.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Aye, looking at the undead in game those with clear braindamage are either Scourge or seem to be down to very basic "zombie-state", there's a few Forsaken zombies with arrows through the head but as we can see from their talk windows - where they only say things such "urrgl buurgl" or similar- they aren't very intelligent, think the zombie servants from Fido.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Geez I really do need to finish my epic rendition of the Undead guide.
[Image: Signature.png]
Geez I really do need to finish my epic rendition of the Undead guide.
[Image: Signature.png]
In many cultures food offerings are left for the dead or the gods, often burnt but sometimes eaten afterward(in the case of the gods anyway, eating food left for the dead has dire consequences). Obviously if not burned the physical substance of the food doesn't go anywhere (and will rot as usual) leaving most people looking on from outside the belief structure to write off the practice as just foolish superstition. But if they looked closer at the actual belief they would learn that the offering was not of the physical food but the spiritual essence that resides within the food.

I often consider that the undead choosing to eat something will consume this essence while turning the physical material to dust or ash that is expelled or otherwise disposed of. Itt is a more metaphysical mystic point of view rather than a look at it in a physical point of view... After all we are talking about a world of intense supernatural forces and beings manifesting everywhere all the time and there is no doubt or guess to its existence.
For the beginning, I'd like to apologise for every little mistake I make in the post.
As far as I understood:
  • Forsaken are powered with magical energy
    Forsaken don't have to sleep
    Forsaken don't need to eat or drink
    Forsaken don't need to breathe
    Forsaken can feel/taste/smell/hear/see almost like humans
    Forsaken's body rots
    To kill a Forsaken, you need to crush his head/body

Now my suggestion what should make things logical:
Forsaken are powered by magical energy, soul/spirit/ghost, that use a physical body, so
  • By destroying their body, you let their spirit/soul out and thus making the body undead
    They don't feel pain, but they feel things. When you hit them, they understand something hit them, but don't feel pain
    They don't have brains, their power of soul/spirit is gathered in their head, because it's the instinctly most protected area
    Since they are just ghosts in a body, their body doesn't live, the ghost/spirit/soul just moves the body like a puppet, so the body keeps decaying/rotting
    Since they're ghosts, they don't need to breathe, eat, drink nor sleep
About the "unintelligent" undead:
  • They are corpses that are given soul/will/spirit by their "master", aka the person who controls them
    The soul/will/spirit consist only of the actions needed and given few commands, so they wouldn't have free will and things
Now, the part that got me thinking:
Forsaken were the "unintelligence" undead before turning "intelligent", so my suggestion is:
  • When the "unintelligent" undead are given soul/will/spirit, then it's actually their own, just the thing that makes it hard to control it is, that the "master" have to keep the rest of their soul/will/spirit away from their body, because else they would get away from the control

In case someone didn't understand, I'll put it a whole different way:
Think of an empty container, like a glass or barrel
Undead have 10% of the barrel filled with their soul/will/spirit, 90% filled with control over them
There is no more room for free will/spirit/soul, because their "master"'s will is taking the rest of the room
Now, when they turn Forsaken, then the "master"'s will has to leave the container, or atleast get less, then Forsaken's will/spirit/soul can be poured in and if there's enough of Forsaken's will/spirit/soul, then the "master" can't keep the Forsaken under his control and has to leave his will from Forsaken's body, which leaves us to 100% filled with Forsaken's free will/spirit/soul, 0% control over them
In short:
Undead: 10% free will/spirit/soul, 90% control over them
Forsaken: 100% free will/spirit/soul, 0% control over them

I hope I didn't make any huge and very stupid mistakes and as I mentioned before, I'm really sorry and I apologise for every mistake I did in this post
If you have any questions or if I had any "plot holes" in my suggestion/explanation, then please, be good and tell me what I did wrong, I'm sure I can work something out/fix my problem.
Thank you for reading through this whole post.
Meow
(04-01-2009, 08:04 AM)Hawk Wrote: Well, if it's any consolation, all Undead fear the process of pretty much losing their mind, and turning into the Scourge.

Wait, one thing we know is that the undead that were raised back by the Cult of the Damned are in said process of being mindslaved by the Scourge. What about the ones that... Are not from the Plague in Lordaeron?

Let's say for an example, an undead raised by an orc necrolyte (such as my undead Quostine) during the Second War would be free from the whispers of the Lich King, and therefore driven only by his own will? Or would he get mindslaved by another force?

[Image: Thread_Necromancy_3038.jpg]

Orc Necrolytes served Ner'zhul in the end. As such, with time, control passed to him as he became the Lich King. Thus, he'd likely have been freed alongside the Forsaken being freed.

I'd question how an undead would manage to survive for that long without being smacked in the face by a wandering Light-worshipper, but hey, /shrug. He could've lived on Outland, I suppose.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
(04-05-2012, 08:26 PM)flammos200 Wrote: [Image: Thread_Necromancy_3038.jpg]

I'd question how an undead would manage to survive for that long without being smacked in the face by a wandering Light-worshipper, but hey, /shrug. He could've lived on Outland, I suppose.

Huh, there are plenties of undeads that survived in Duskwood and Deadwind Pass. Let's use some famous examples, then: Moroes the Castellan, Attumen the Huntsman, the paladin Dougan, Nielas Aran.

Those reside in Karazhan, and that makes their survival much easier, but there are others in Duskwood too, like Morbent Fel, the necromancer.

I was actually thinking of putting Karazhan somewhere in Quos' history, though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  c0rzilla's Short and Basic Guide to Worgen c0rzilla 14 4,331 03-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Notaris
  A Guide to Racial Prejudice in WoW Thoradin 43 12,892 03-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Paylonas
  The Golden Boys: A Guide to Goblin Geoni 16 9,288 07-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Geoni
  [Guide] Gilneas and You! Observations on the peninsula nation Xigo 16 7,739 06-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Alpharius
  Rensin's Guide to Inter-racial interactions Harmonic 112 25,010 02-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Caravan