The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The new anime/asian trend
I got a question.
What's up with all the anime names appearing all of a sudden?
Chat's flooded with anime discussions and these characters really break the Warcraft mood. It's like playing one of those MMORPG's like Three Kingdoms or Cabal or.. whatever, you name it. Everyone jumping around with their kata in the right hand while uber fireballing with the left hand.

Note:
I have nothing against this culture thingy but this is not the place for it.
"Educate yourself in the art of true metal."
"From the Heaven of My Heart" & "Silver Bride" - Amorphis (Skyforger)

"Beyond the Stars"
~ Head over to our own subforum on CotH Worlds and enjoy. ^^
/agree

Thank you! :roll:

The lore and cultures of the races are diverse enough that creative players shouldn't feel the need to rip off an existing language. Especially if it has to do with anime.... There's just no place or reason for it.
Bury me on my feet. I have lived my entire life on my knees.
I agree! What's wrong with Elven/Zandali/Common names?

Its new on this server, but its been around for quite some time.
Mabra Dragonbasher- A battle hungry dwarven lady, hirable for personal protection and for larger tasks requiring violence.
Essentially; it is simply the par for the people that lack any form of originality; and insist on making their characters be long-eared, spiky-haired youths with overcompensatory swords and godmode tendencies.

It's like retail all over again.
The fact that you mention this breaking the Warcraft mood, and making a thread about it; I am really leaning towards forcing renames for the anime kids that ended up getting their stupid names approved to begin with.

With Azshara having gone down recently, I surmise this contributes to a large portion of the recent "influx".
[corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][tr=0][th=4]Character Information[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][td=1,]Name[/td][td=1,]Affiliation[/td][td=1,]Status[/td][td=1,]Title[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Ivy Killinger[/td][td=1,]The Lodestone Company[/td][td=1,]Inebriated[/td][td=1,]Drunken Fightin' Wench[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Uulari[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Seer[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Vyrsallia Scythefall[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Guttersnipe and Ne'erdowell[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners]
[Image: badge.jpg]
I'm a Shaman? Really? Huh.
Do keep in mind however that some races, like the Orcs and, if we look at Woo Ping, apparantly Humans can have Asian sounding names and traditions, there´s also Pandaren but as they aren´t a part of WoW we don´t really have to think much about them.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Well, let's not forget that Blizzard have put a few names in such as "Woo Ping".

Although obviously, doesn't make it acceptable. But let's not put all the blame on our players here. *pats*

/agree Maya 101%.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Nostra Wrote:Do keep in mind however that some races, like the Orcs and, if we look at Woo Ping, apparantly Humans can have Asian sounding names and traditions, there´s also Pandaren but as they aren´t a part of WoW we don´t really have to think much about them.

Woo Ping is a refference to a famous holywood fight Coordinator, so I don't think that would count. Windfury didn't count as proof that Draenei have surnames, right?
Mabra Dragonbasher- A battle hungry dwarven lady, hirable for personal protection and for larger tasks requiring violence.
Also keep in mind that "Woo Ping" is a joke name. He is, if I remember correctly, a warrior trainer. His job is to give his students a "Whupping" (as they say in the south) to teach them the art of withstanding being smacked around.

See: Jhordy Lapforge, Scooty, Sprok and dozens of others if you aren't sold that Blizzard uses joke names for some NPCs.

Edit: I stand corrected on the source of Woo Ping's name.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
I'd have to disagree; as Woo Ping seems to be just another out-of-character cult reference like 95% of the NPC's that Blizzard implements for a cheap chuckle. :roll:

I wouldn't want this to be a measure to condone unoriginal kids that insist on naming themselves things like "Haruto Umekatse" or something equally stupid.
I hope this gets my point across.

Edit: Roobald and Qaza posted before I completed my post.
[corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][tr=0][th=4]Character Information[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][td=1,]Name[/td][td=1,]Affiliation[/td][td=1,]Status[/td][td=1,]Title[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Ivy Killinger[/td][td=1,]The Lodestone Company[/td][td=1,]Inebriated[/td][td=1,]Drunken Fightin' Wench[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Vyrsallia Scythefall[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Guttersnipe and Ne'erdowell[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners]
Putting the word "asian" in the post title makes me feel bad because I am asian, and you make it sound like WoW is not appropriate for asians. I know you don't mean it, and I don't have anything against you. I know what you mean, it's just not politically correct to put it there.
You pointed out yourself that you know that what Painkillah meant in naming this thread, Einhander. Let's not change the topic to semantics of political correctness, please.
Thought I made myself understood but I feel obligated to point this out again. I mean no disrespect to you (a general you) asian person. I have nothing against them, neither the culture itself. I even consider myself lucky to have a friend among them.
What I really mean is: This is a roleplay server. Everyone is welcome here as long as they respect the policies and rules of the Warcraft universe. Now I know my character names aren't very original nor unique but they are within the naming limits more or less.

What do I mean by that? Well let me explain it this way:
Quote:Aldris, Fandral, Manados, Shaedlass, Elanaria, Erion, Saelienne, Mathrengyl, Alathea, Rellian, Syurna.
These are names of various Night Elf NPC's. My night elf's name, Sindar, belongs to this group. I doubt one called Ayaka would be part of this "pool".
It's just like those psychology tests where it sais which one of the following does not belong to the group?
And it gives you names like Banana, Grape, Apple, Cooper.

Hope I make more sense now.
"Educate yourself in the art of true metal."
"From the Heaven of My Heart" & "Silver Bride" - Amorphis (Skyforger)

"Beyond the Stars"
~ Head over to our own subforum on CotH Worlds and enjoy. ^^
Elven names are not meant to be anime at all, infact orcs are the ones with most anime names.
Check out the warcraft 3 blade master names, then ya' will get what i mean :D
Who Loves Orange Soda?
I wouldn't say this is a new trend though, as people have been giving the characters names like that for as long as I can remember being on here. However, I do have to say that the japanese culture would fit better with pandaran. I'm -not- saying that they are, but when it comes to naming, elf names should be elf like, human names should be pretty normal sounding, dwarves, dwaven like and so on.

Some names might sound a bit more reasonable, but if you are going with something that is -VERY- japanese, complete with the -chan, -san, and other stuff, then it should be re-thought.

To be honest, almost every name from Rensin on is either very simple to think of, or utterly BSed from nothing.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Painkillah Wrote:Thought I made myself understood but I feel obligated to point this out again. I mean no disrespect to you (a general you) asian person. I have nothing against them, neither the culture itself. I even consider myself lucky to have a friend among them.

I know. I just said that the title of the thread made me think it had a problem, but it wasn't.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anime Tropes appearing in Roleplay Xigo 170 28,592 05-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Cressy