The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The on going talk of Marriage...
...so, who would embrace marriage into their culture and who would most people allow to marry each other?

-Sha-bam- I started a forum thread.

Edit: Do not make this thread overly aggressive and angry. I started this thread and I can ask them to end it. /sagenod.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
Humans would be more open to marriage, as for actually allowing who would marry and who wouldn't it depends on the person.
Timothy Willaims VI: I know what this is! You are all racist against bards! Its a conspiracy!
Rorbin: A bard isn't even a race!
Timothy Willaims VI: . . .racist.
Humans and High Elves are known to get married. (Rhonin and Vereesa, for example.)
Humans and Gnomes can also get married, as there's a married couple in game.
There are also half orcs with loving parents according to the D20, so I'm assuming those might be married as well.

And then there's goblin lands. They're like the Japan of Azeroth, anything goes there.
I completely agree that kaldorei society is highly xenophobic and inert in regard to cultural and social change, mainly because of their ancient roots.

However, I believe that the individual has the end decision on whether they respect, much less embrace a differing culture, even one that holds opposing views on several things. One thing to take into consideration is that embracing one aspect of a culture, such as marriage, views on violence, religion, and so on, does not necessarily mean that the individual is embracing the entirety of the culture.

Also important to note is that the humans have made an effort to welcome the kaldorei culture, even if it's sectioned off within the Park. Kaldorei living within Stormwind is not uncommon, and I've encountered many, many instances of the concept of 'humanized' kaldorei being roleplayed.

Not to say they have become humans in a kaldorei skin, but rather they've immersed themselves in the culture long enough to have a tolerance or even acceptance of the fact that, while it may not be perfect or balanced, human culture has survived.

A last point: Until recently, kaldorei have had, almost literally, no exposure to other cultures. I would imagine that the more intellectual and outgoing kaldorei would revel in the idea of studying this new manner of existence. Xenophobia is a socially-defined condition, and as such, can give way to other social forces, especially when the individual is all but forced to experience other cultures because of the Allied military.

Cheers!
≈Still falls the rain≈
Night Elves are generally very xenophobic, have only known about most other races for 8 or so years, and would be very unlikely to marry any other race.

Of course, I agree with Theik that in Goblin lands anything goes. If you want to marry an unrealistic race, go there and get a Vegas-like wedding. =P
Night Elves do get married though, as a quest in the Draenei starting area states.
Mabra Dragonbasher- A battle hungry dwarven lady, hirable for personal protection and for larger tasks requiring violence.
While I openly advocate love and romance roleplay; a few things.

Elves (generally) would possess more common sense than to grow emotionally attached to something that'll only live for 1/100th of their lifespans.
Citing different examples with the quest lore is also shaky at best; as the quests were all written by different people, which also tends to contradict itself on several occasions. Since Blizzard pisses all over their own lore as it is; this would have zero bearing, ultimately. Night Elves do marry, and they also select mates; but their term of marriage vastly differs from a 'traditional' definition by human standards. This in conjunction with what may be lost in translation also makes things a bit muddy.

In terms of the server's game mechanics, however - inter-racial relationships are a much greater rarity with this revision of the server rules - as we like to maintain the overall reluctance and tension of differing factions with the emphasis on war. This is due to everyone of all races being buddy-buddy pre-reset, obliterating any notion of evolutionary, or conflict roleplay. Plus we don't want to have a venue for people to ask to play any form of halfbreed, since they are strictly forbidden.
[corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][tr=0][th=4]Character Information[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][td=1,]Name[/td][td=1,]Affiliation[/td][td=1,]Status[/td][td=1,]Title[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Ivy Killinger[/td][td=1,]The Lodestone Company[/td][td=1,]Inebriated[/td][td=1,]Drunken Fightin' Wench[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Uulari[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Seer[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Vyrsallia Scythefall[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Guttersnipe and Ne'erdowell[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners]
[Image: badge.jpg]
I'm a Shaman? Really? Huh.
I have always thought of it like this:

An old racist grandfather will always be racist because he has spent anywhere from 50-70 years being racist. You cannot change someone who has been brought up like that. How does this fit in with Night Elves well they have been brought up with there culture for 80-90% of there life. Night elves live thousands of years they are usually around 500-1000 years old. Eight years would be nothing to them it would be like a year to us so there is noway that night elves would be that changed or even accepting of human culture... MAYBE in a few hundred years but not after eight. You can't change in that little time.
[Image: classic-76561197997915481.png]
MoonlightBlossom Wrote:Elves (generally) would possess more common sense than to grow emotionally attached to something that'll only live for 1/100th of their lifespans. Citing different examples with the quest lore is also shaky at best; as the quests were all written by different people, which also tends to contradict itself on several occasions. Since Blizzard pisses all over their own lore as it is; this would have zero bearing, ultimately.

This brings up an interesting point though, do Night Elves actually know how old they'll get? No night elf has ever died of old age since they gained immortality, so they have no real way of telling that they'll live another 700 to 1200 years. We know, because we have OOC information for it, but for all the Night Elves know, they'll drop dead in another ten years if they don't gain their immortality back.
While this is true; I envision the cultural divide would be too steep to find any common ground beyond being allies in arms.
No human would ever be able to comprehend the epiphanies that are gained by living for centuries and eons, while Night Elves would have difficulty comprehending the impulsion and fatalism of humans, without being garnered a boorish disposition in turn.

I think a great resource for this, (and ultimately to bring clarity to the discussion which stemmed this topic to begin with) is the Kaldorei Race guide.
[corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][tr=0][th=4]Character Information[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][td=1,]Name[/td][td=1,]Affiliation[/td][td=1,]Status[/td][td=1,]Title[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Ivy Killinger[/td][td=1,]The Lodestone Company[/td][td=1,]Inebriated[/td][td=1,]Drunken Fightin' Wench[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Vyrsallia Scythefall[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Guttersnipe and Ne'erdowell[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners]
[Image: Feulia.JPG]

^

She's a female half night elf / half human. Which does lead to some timezone issues, but still, it's assumed her human parent arrived in Kalimdor before the third war.

Besides, humans and orcs are known to have children and fall in love, they're every bit as different as night elves and humans. The age thing doesn't make much of a difference because we know there are plenty of half-elves from high elf descend.
There is no documentation that depicts this being a possibility prior to the Third War. As even the d20 book dictates that the children (if any were conceived, that itself is a bit of a stretch) would be no older than eight years old. That drawing is speculative/alternative lore, which wouldn't coincide with what lore is applied to this server's timeline.
MoonlightBlossom Wrote:There is no documentation that depicts this being a possibility prior to the Third War. As even the d20 book dictates that the children (if any were conceived, that itself is a bit of a stretch) would be no older than eight years old. That drawing is speculative/alternative lore, which wouldn't coincide with what lore is applied to this server's timeline.

That picture as well as the info on her being a half night elf are from Shadows & Light, which is a Warcraft D20 book. There's no real info there on how she came to existence or anything, or even if she's in fact night elf half human, now that I looked it up. Just that she's half night elf. She could very well be half troll or something. -Shrug.-
How about an extended question onto here.
For the races that do marry one another is it uncouth or unheard of for them to have multiple partners?
[Image: Untitled-332.png]
Everything I've read on trolls says that they will take multiple partners (specifically, the males will take more wives), but only if they can support them. So, if you're a well-to-do male troll, you may have more than one mate. Trolls also may give away sisters or daughters in order to cement alliances. All of this is non-Darkspear or pre-Horde Darkspear lore, though.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greetings, Back, Question on character choice. Talk to me :D Zason 8 1,624 09-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Zason
  Custom Model Character Talk/Rant Thoradin 16 4,430 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Last Post: hiddengecko
  Talk about favorite lore, and history of Warcraft. Spiralin 6 1,258 08-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Grimnir
  Let's talk WoW guns! Mirate 13 2,208 10-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Lil_Ren
  The Great Big Blood Elf Talk Thread! Vaermina 6 1,162 07-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Last Post: lemmi