The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Time for a new shooter.
I've been playing it often too, it is very hard but very fun and intriguing. There is nothing more fun then sneaking up behind a lone marine and chomping him to death or charging into the marine's final base with four Onos under the premise of wrecking their stuff.
(12-20-2012, 06:30 AM)Roxas65 Wrote: So, Krent. Does that mean they kept the dynamic fire engine from Far Cry 2? Where the fire spread according to wind in a very realistic way? Because I had stupid amounts of fun with that in Far Cry 2.

I know this is hella late, but yes.

The way buildings / huts / foilage what-have-you catch fire is pretty damn amazing. There have been times where I've thrown a molotov cocktail, or fired an incendiary arrow, or used some type of explosive that starts a small brush fire that, slowly but surely, grows into a gigantic inferno. I find it to be a nice touch to the game. Usually, it comes about unexpected like, where like, you'll shoot one of those trusty FPS RED EXPLODEY BARRELS OF DEATH and it does the RED EXPLODEY BARREL OF DEATH explosion which in turn starts a trickling flame that slowly consumes the building of where ever the RED EXPLODEY BARREL OF DEATH just happened to be sitting near. And enemies won't be able to use it for cover, and if they are, hahahahaha.

I like it.

Having said that, Far Cry 3 has much to be desired in terms of story / narrative / dialogue etc etc. It starts off good, but ends up getting silly. Very silly. A definite break from the more hands-off, amoral structure of Far Cry 2.
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
(12-28-2012, 08:06 PM)Roxas65 Wrote: That does actually sound a bit interesting.

Gotta agree with Alpharius though! It's -hard-!

If you got a less experienced leader, you'll go down the drain quickly. Took up the role twice seeing we were in a team where nobody wanted to pick it up, was out of resource in moments and we got stomped.

Then again, when you got an experienced leader; Damn it's a good day to be a Marine. Medical supplies and ammo when you need it; Plenty of resource. Soon enough you'll get jetpacks and flamethrowers and machinery suits to top it of with.

Aliens get stealth buildings, upgrades to the things they can evolve into; Plants that heal, do damage and so forth.

I also love how score isn't entirely based on kills. I had 31 kills, 12 deaths in one of my rounds; Was in the middle. People with less kills where higher then me because they made more tactical decisions and pushed forward. I was more on defense duty, meaning they got points for all the buildings destroyed, hives killed, etc.

One thing I'd wish to be improved in the game though, is probably that melee only does 20 damage. It's hard to hit enough as it is, but if you fire a magazine into a guy, then manage to melee him; And he still lives (and brutally murders you)? Bit of a bummer. Feels like you deserve a kill for meleeing him. (With the butt of your rifle. Axe.. I managed to axe down an Onos. Pretty viable, does a lot of damage; Hard to hit with it. That melee weapon is best used for infestation though, else you are out of ammo in no time.)

Quote:I've been playing it often too, it is very hard but very fun and intriguing. There is nothing more fun then sneaking up behind a lone marine and chomping him to death or charging into the marine's final base with four Onos under the premise of wrecking their stuff.

That's why you don't go out alone! Two minimum!

But yeah. Expanding is essential, fighting over the resource nodes and then pushing forth to the bases. What I noticed (and love) is that no matter how many times we lost in a row, people weren't complaining. Most of the community seems to have a "Ah well, we did our best." attitude instead of "OMGUSUCKLEADER". Voice chat is actively used to communicate with as well as movement/build/repair orders. Maybe it's the servers I've been on, but I really love those "Rookie friendly" servers. Players vary from 24, to 20, to 18 and 16. Wonder if they'll ever make a 32 / 64 server. That'd be awesome.

Oh, and it's highly moddable; But haven't looked into that yet. They advertise their servers for being it.
Oh, I love communities like that! Reminds me of the Dragon's dogma community. Always nice, gives you tips and items and never taunts you for asking dumb questions. Makes the entire game more worthwhile.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
Aye, I stuck to a British guy for one round who gave me all sorts of alien tips over his Mic as we went. Counted down the moments before charging in, and we did a hell of a job. :D It was good fun, and I was surprised somebody was actually friendly enough to share the info with me.

It's still on a steam sale for 40% off, ends 5 January. (13,79 euros) Went with the Deluxe edition myself as the priced off version is cheaper then the (without discount) regular normal version.

http://www.naturalselection2.com/

Another touch I love; They got help videos in-game. Literally, in-game. You hit the training box, get like.. ~20 videos explaining the mechanics of things that you can watch straight from within the game. Well explained, fun to watch and good quality. Beats reading a manual. (They also got training servers without bots/enemies; No real tutorial to follow in-game though.)
Problem with me is that when I start a new multiplayer game, I get performance anxiety. Nasty habit, but what are you gonna do right? Especially if the game is hard.
Spoiler:
Main issue I suffered from was;

First time Marine:
"OH GOD WHAT IS THIS. UP THERE. DOWN LEFT. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. WHERE DO I GO- Oh look, a movement path! *Dies* WAT."

First time Alien:
"CHARGE EVERYTHING HEAD ON. FOR THE HIV-.. Derp. Dead again. How do I evolve? oh, I got no points. How do I get that? Durr."

Aliens feel much more calm to start with. You get used to it though, I only really suffer from the Marine attitude when there's a massive wave of Olos coming in. We survived one of those and I requested ammo in the heat of the moment; Commander just replied with "You are seriously going to ask for ammo when there's an armory like ten paces behind you?"

We shared a good laugh. xD I got my ammo in the end.
Just a heads up: Natural Selection II is on sale for 60% off these last two days of the Steam Holiday Sale. If you're interested, I suggest you pick it up sooner rather than later.
Spoiler: