The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Town Invasions and You!
Hey Everyone! It's me again, your neighborhood friendly Murderer/Paladin/Hitgirl/Merc. I decided to post this here seeing as we don't... actually have a Feedback forum! Keep in mind that none of my posts are done in malice against any forum or server members, but they may contain a negative tone... simply because I'm a bit upset, or at least was.

So, I've been away for a bit over the Weekend. This is probably going to sound somewhat similar to Alphawolf's Rapid Progression thread... but when I come back, I've had to catch up on a few things. I was filled in mostly by Krent and whatnot, and that was all fine. Qaza generously approved my profile and leveled Alyian up, the whole nine yards. Good was to be had this day! So I decided to have Alyian ride down to Darkshire to investigate there, seeing as reports would inevitably find their way back to Stormwind about the demonic attack.

Knowing that Krent was affiliated with Siv in some way, and that the boy was located in Darkshire, she made her way into town and looked around, eventually finding the boy up in one of the non-demolished buildings. His caretakers told Alyian more of what went down and that they had indeed spotted a male kal'dorei, but knew not where he was. So Alyian decided to ask Commander Ebonlocke... and so she did! Siv even puppeteered the lovely gal.

And then... demons popped out of nowhere and began to invade. My mood sort of turns upside down because, not only was I not aware this would happen, but whatever conversation I had was interrupted and everything exploded into RP Drama. The good kind, of course. I just wasn't aware it would be happening. If I was, I wouldn't be there with Alyian in a situation where she's liable to bite the dust.

This whole Legion Invasion thing seems like a fantastic idea for stirring up some epic RP. For those who don't want to sit around in a tavern and talk about doing just that. The villain is indeed villainous. The method... is a bit sloppy. Not sloppy as in "Unorganized" but sloppy as in... People's characters are dying OoCly. The only reason they die OoCly is because of the monsters used to battle the towns are too much for the characters themselves to handle.

I'm thinking spawning demons in the middle of town isn't the best idea for the situation... perhaps marching them into the town in waves is a better solution. I'm aware that infernals rain from the sky... But Wrath Lords, Fel Reavers, and Voidwalkers do not... at least, from what I am aware of.

Anyhow... 'nuff of my rambling. I know I'm a very critical person, I guess... I just need to get stuff off my chest or I just get riled up more-so. It could also be I was in the wrong place at the wrong time... so don't take this in the wrong way. I still love ya guys to death, and I wouldn't move out for any other RP servers (If there are even any others). In summary, A little more OoC warning on the spawning (Regardless of player requests), and maybe a better solution to town invasions (Less guards? We did get hit by a plague).

... Perhaps this should go in Suggestions. <Puts there instead>
"My companions' feelings have been etched onto my body.
I'll change this eternal darkness to light!
Heaven and Earth...
One body, one soul!

Chouginga, Gurren-Lagann!

I'll show you...
The power of mankind!"
Just a quick response and then welcome any feedback from other players. Constructive feedback is good and helps us to plan for further events.

In this particular situation, the attack -was- requested by persons RPing in the town. Whether they are admitting to such or not, it was the GMs understanding the players were requesting siad event.

Though there was no warning of the attack OOCly, there have been mulitple attacks on Darkshire for days now, as well as reports of the impending attack (Which is why the guards were bolstered and the town evacuated). So it stands to reason anyone choosing to roam Darkshire should have been prepared for that circumstance.

It is extremely difficult to keep everyone in the know at all times about everything happening. I'm doing my best to provide updates about what is common knowledge. I will try to make this more detailed in the future.

All advances of the plot are based on how the players have interacted and RP'd within the storyline and/or player requests. We began with a portal invasion and have simply reacted to the events you guys have given us.

Again, keep the feedback coming, we do listen, and we will adjust, respond as best we can. The point is for this all to be enjoyable. It's for you guys, not us.
[Image: Sig.jpg]
Upon further reading in your thread I found out more information regarding the Legion's advances. I apologize for my part in unknowingly wandering into the village in its time of about to be attacked... but regardless. One shouldn't assume that everyone knows that something that dramatic is about to happen at all times. I understand the situation as it was now, and I understand it was requested... but in public it wasn't announced. And while that might ruin the surprise... sometimes it's for the better.

Thank you for your response, though! I wasn't aware of your thread until it popped up on the Recent Forum Posts. I should have done some more digging to find it.
Heaven and Earth...
One body, one soul!

I'll show you...
The power of mankind!"
We have been having some small problems as of late with people using information they gained OOC for their own purposes IC. In light of this, we have been hesitant to announce much IC information in OOC channels.

I do understand your frustration, but please do consider that we have not done any events on this scale before, and those orchestrating it are learning as they go and, as Fawee said, responding to player requests.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
While I have to agree that first time experiences do merit some leeway in how they are operated... This event is more than just the GMs putting together a fun experience for the players. The players themselves are also the villains, and it seems history is about to repeat itself.

We don't have enough people to play the heroes in this situation. At least, not enough people that are on often enough (Besides Siv the gang) to halt such a traumatic event. Not only do we need to somehow defeat the Burning Legion's onslaught, people need to worry about the Dark Iron Dwarves and the Dark Horde populating Blackrock Mountain also.

That's three massive forces posed to destroy the Eastern Kingdoms in one gigantic vice-like move. We'd need a miracle. The Night Elves would need to come out of hiding, Thrall would need to get his army moving to the Eastern Kingdoms faster, and Stormwind would need to stop being biggots all in a week. It seems nothing short of another "Kretol Saves The Day!" would work.

<Moves a pawn forward on the chess board>
Heaven and Earth...
One body, one soul!

I'll show you...
The power of mankind!"
I think perhaps sitting back, being patient, and reading up on other storyline and IC Posts might be of benefit. Certainly we have a lot of people wanting to play the big bad guys, but there are others that are taking the initiative to fight back, and we encourage it.

We have had many discussions on pacing, both in the public forums and in private. It is a very difficult thing to balance, and again, we are moving at a player-driven pace. Even with all this action, people complain that they are bored in /Chat. We are attempting to please as many people as we can, but the players in return need to be patient, respectful, and optimistic.

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
I'm sorry if I'm giving you guys a tough time with my negative perspective on things... I realize that it's not helping with the situation. But this is the only place I can voice my concerns without being yelled at, and I know that if I hold them in that I'll be more inclined to burst later on down the line, since courage is easily bred on the internet. Maybe I'm taking too many liberties. Anyhow, that's all for now folks. I'll do my part to try and stop the invading forces in a hopefully epic battle.
Heaven and Earth...
One body, one soul!

I'll show you...
The power of mankind!"
Nononono,

Feedback is GOOD. I know we shoo'd you here to do it but that is because it gives people time to think and respond without being defensive. I personally prefer to keep this stuff out of general chat ingame. It can cause a valid discussion to get twisted into hurt feelings and defensive responses and often involves an innocent audience.

By moving it here, we can take time to review your concerns and to reflect on what we can do in order to adjust or improve as we go. We are just people like you, trying to give ya'll something to chew on. We -will- make mistakes. But we also have a lot of planning going on that not everyone sees, which is why Qaza asks for a little trust.

I encourage you, and anyone else, to continue to provide feedback. Now we don't want to "u suk" bashfest, but rather, constructive feedback based on valid concerns and even ideas about how you'd like to see things progress. Every player has a voice and we do listen.
The only problem I can see with "Kretol saves the day" is one thing that's kind of been brought up. There are badguys, quite a few of us. We are trying to make this very hard, and to have Kretol just, come and beat everything to death would make it very hard to play the villan.

That aside, I do agree with the march idea. I think it would be awesome to be a badguy, and walk alongside a few of those giant demons.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

The only problem with the march idea is the mechanics of puppeteering the mobs would make that extremely difficult if not impossible.
The main problem with the "march" is indeed puppeteering it. It's pretty tricky to get something like that to go off smoothly and not look like a Benny Hill outtake. Not to say it isn't fantastic when it does work, although I haven't seen it applied in quite the way described here.

Again, trust us and be patient. It certainly will not be "Kretol saves the day".

There is the point that, yes, many are enjoying playing the villain, but there's no point in being a villain if there's no one to oppose you. It would be nice if we had more good-aligned or at least non-Legion/Nastyness aligned players, but here's the trick: As GMs we can offer gentle nudges in that direction, but if a player is set on playing a bad guy, then that's what they'll play. We can't spawn "good-guy" players--that balance is up to the player base.

Remember, we are working with everyone else. There is no versus. So analogies to chess and other "me versus you" situations simply don't apply.

~Kurt Vonnegut
I would just like to add, perhaps un relevant, that not all evil characters are with the legion.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

This thread inspires me to make another thread about heroes!
˜★Sketch Blog
Also something to consider, what if good didn't prevail? If all was lost? Towns were taken and cities fell. Would that be the end of RP? No. If anything it'd provide a new and stimulating environment for characters to play in, organizing to reclaims cities, rebuild towns, etc. I'm not saying that this is where it is going, but it could. Where all of this goes will be determined by what happens IC.

In the meantime, just roll with it how your character would. I agree that some of the DM attacks have been a little random, but for the most part Alfie's been great about posting some sort of intro to it, 'clouds darken and all gets evil and broody'. The other thing is, right now things are supposed to be dangerous. The Legion isn't going blush and be all bashful at the entrance to the town, and politley knock on the town hall door and bat their eye lashes,

"Hey guys...can we burn and pillage your town?"

They're gonna get straight to messing stuff up.

Now, if your character dies, because one of these massive demon elites complete stomps them, because you're under leveled or poorly geared, you don't have to delete your character. However, maybe you should realize the danger ICly, and have your character run away. If someone's calling your everyone to evacuate, IE a Guard, you don't have to stick around to be a hero. You can help other people leave in an orderly manner.
Siv, "A line o' ratchet white, and a scrape of gunpowder lata'...I was wonderin' round Stranglethorn Vale havin' soul searchin' conversations with raptors. Three days lata ah came back t' Booty Bay. Lo'n'behold, ah 'ad dreadlocks."
I dont think the demons there useing even have eyelashes... *Shrugs*
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
-Take nothing for granted. -
[Image: tumblr_m3fonvvR601qktztio3_250.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Pre-Worgen Gilnean town? Dae 18 3,416 08-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Rigley
  Dat ruined town Zenethen 0 699 11-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Zenethen
  Idea for a town Marius 41 5,379 01-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Kyndri
  Another Idea for a Town Kyndri 5 1,163 01-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Last Post: mrsmarsh