The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Undeath in Azeroth
This is a topic I've been mulling over for some time now, and my internet searches haven't provided any definitive answer. What is undeath in Azeroth?
We know that undeath started with a plague and the end result was The Scourge. The Forsaken are afflicted in the same way as the Lichking's army, sans being his puppets. We also know that the body rots while still being animated, but what exactly is the nature of this animation?
Is it some twisted mimicry of life, with a heart beat, metabolism and other such biological functions? Or is it purely magical, leaving the contents of the body to rot away with no bearing on the animation itself? I think it's a combination of the above.
When an undead is struck, they bleed. They are also subject to other bodily ailments such as poison and stun. And while their time underwater is far greater than the other races, they do have to surface eventually. I know most of these are game mechanics, but I think they can also be used to shape our understanding of what undead physiology is.
The undead body tries to function as it did in life, up to a point. That is why the undead can be healed by consuming flesh/food and regular healing magic works. (Potions, bandages etc.) It is capable of healing damage that isn't inflicted by the undead plague itself, which I think is still actively ravaging the cells and leading to the decay.
When the plague makes a certain set of senses/function biologically impossible then the magic of the curse takes over. That is why those with exposed knees and elbows can still move, rotted out eyes can see etc.
I had a bigger arguement in mind but for the life of me I just can't flesh it out. What say the server? I'd love to hear every ones thoughts on it.
Have some MIND CONTROL JERKY! (Care of Drukag)
[Image: 3YOM.gif]
Hey! Maybe this could help a bit!

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6065&hilit=undead
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Dang it! Could some one move this to the Articles and Guides section? I checked there and didn't see one so I thought it was ok to start one.
Well, it´s supposed to need more organiztion someone said I think, and I´ve not had the time to update it with that. Besides, only ones who can move it are Kretol or Grakor at the moment.

It doesn't really satisfy my pressing need-to-know, but I think that's just the nature of the subject. And now I've got to change how I'm doing things. Good times.
If ye want you could Pm or ask questions here and we could discuss things!

<3 Undead lore.

Personally; I think that aspect of Undeath is ambiguous by design; that way it can be left solely to player interpretation (and execution).
Undead are, in my opinion, the most diverse as far as races go.

Some are reanimated husks of rotting flesh. Some are preserved, embalmed. Others are constructs of wicked arcana. For the unexplained; those are merely the ones that "woke up" before they were burned with the rest in Deathknell.

They all decay, some faster than others; and all are immensely fun to play out.

I'd say that of itself allows for creative liberty. As long as it isn't too outlandish, you have a plethora of options set before you.
[corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][tr=0][th=4]Character Information[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][td=1,]Name[/td][td=1,]Affiliation[/td][td=1,]Status[/td][td=1,]Title[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Ivy Killinger[/td][td=1,]The Lodestone Company[/td][td=1,]Inebriated[/td][td=1,]Drunken Fightin' Wench[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Uulari[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Seer[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Vyrsallia Scythefall[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Guttersnipe and Ne'erdowell[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners]
[Image: badge.jpg]
I'm a Shaman? Really? Huh.
Hrm, not a question, but an interesting note. The undead and the Night Elves are a strange mirror of each other. The Forsaken having just gained their immortality, while the Night Elves having just lost it. I have yet to see an undead character really touch on the scope of this revelation that they will effectively 'live' forever, unless beheaded, and I think it might be interesting to incorporate this into my own Aaron or Tharia.

Questioning that, however, could a forsaken in theory rot to death? As in their body decays so much they become incapable of functioning and 'die'?
[Image: walrus_family_affair-2.gif]
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings" - Lewis Carrol
Maybe, as their body still "thought" it was dead. Or they had hitchhikers like rodents or insects help out on that rot and decay.

And in my opinion the undead, of both Forsaken and Scourge, can do as they wish. But they are restrained. Like a scourged ghoul is bound by the Lich King and therfore must do as told. This doesn't mean that when Arthas isn't giving commands his minions stand around aimlessly and drool. And the Forsaken... they do what they wish to an extent also. They have the Dark Lady Sylvannas. Even though they aren't truly bound to her, they still follow her for leadership and guidance.

Thats my penny and a half. :D
Do you have what it takes to join the Fighting Blues?
Do you have what it takes to defend your homeland?
Will you stand up in defense of the innocent? The weak?
Will you stand up in defense of Justice and the Law?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVE3uy8TjirssygDEKMi2...Ia13_WYQpw]

Walluce Wrote:Questioning that, however, could a forsaken in theory rot to death? As in their body decays so much they become incapable of functioning and 'die'?

I've read somewhere, even in the questlines for Undead that this happens. Eventually, they are incapable of operating, so while they may not 'die', their minds are so out of it that they might as well be. They revert back to being alot like Scourge.
ಠ_ಠ : Like Fo Fi Cops.
In terms of the body and the soul, the undead ones are considered new bodies. One can restore or heal an undead's health to a healthy state, one that still retains the rotting flesh. It's like the same old soul with a new brand new (or might I say rotting) body. Thus, one might resurrect an undead, only to be brought back to the rotting body form. Other than the special cases, this is the case.
[Image: 2r3hym9.png]
Main Characters:
Riggs Ravenhook - Swarmy Old Goblin Thief and Corporate Nuisance
Gorudo Goldforge - Goldforge Clan Remnant and Ranger
Turic Carsten - Stormwind Regular

http://diethe.deviantart.com/
Touchseed Wrote:They revert back to being alot like Scourge.

Actually, anyone who has quested on retail will know a bit more about how the Scourge function. In Zul Drak, there is a small spot called Ebon Watch. There are a group of Death Knights there from The Ebon Hold. Anyways, there is a questline in which you actually put on a synthetic ghoul suit and you give off a smell of undeath. While you are "Undead" you have to do errands that Scourge of higher being tell you.

One example is of an Abomination telling you to feed the ghouls with, and I don't lie, a bowl of.... Brains N' Bowels. You also do a long questline which causes the downfall of a floating Necropolis... but to get to my point...

The Scourge function as they do in life... only bound to Arthas and messed up due to deathly injuries. Even though the Abominations are rather dumb, they can still talk. Same with the Geists, Banshees, Ghouls, and so on. They do what they wish in their "downtime" while awaiting orders from Arthas or their local commanders.

That's all I have to really say... really.
Do you have what it takes to join the Fighting Blues?
Do you have what it takes to defend your homeland?
Will you stand up in defense of the innocent? The weak?
Will you stand up in defense of Justice and the Law?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVE3uy8TjirssygDEKMi2...Ia13_WYQpw]

Aye, I'd agree with that. As we see during the Death Knight quests in Acherus, though we are still slaves to the Lich King we have complete sentient thought, and several of the books mention that the Scourge are essentially their own little 'nation', though they don't bother actually creating a culture for themselves. It's likely that they must listen to the commands Arthas enjoys whispering, but that does indicate they still have a will, and are perhaps not as mindless as we thought.
[Image: Signature.png]
On Scholomance
On Stratholme
On Naxxramas
On Undeath

One Truth in Undeath
The Decree of the Scourge

The Death Knights of Acherus

These books are pretty interesting, might help a bit.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wands-the surprisingly interesting magical sticks of Azeroth Dae 3 1,516 06-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Jonoth
  The value of coin in Azeroth? landashua 45 7,491 06-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Last Post: therew
  Electrolyzing the Etymology of Azeroth Nymus 4 1,204 05-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Last Post: landashua
  Black people in Azeroth PhilGobatto 8 2,923 05-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Aphetoros
  Narcotics in Azeroth Daggermouth 6 1,340 03-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Alpharius