The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Wednesday's Writings: The American Sentence
According to Kretol's clock up there in the top right corner it's still Wednesday, so I still have time to make this alliteration relevant. Ha!

Ahem.

Good Evening everyone! Today (Or tonight, however you want to call it) I'm here to present what will hopefully be a growing tradition of mine here upon the forums. Back in the olden days where dinosaurs roamed the land and Kretol leveled up his first 60 Shaman I had a friend of mine by the name - familiar to some of you- of Piroska. Before she came to CotH she perked my interest in writing and Roleplay in general. One of these ways was through weekly little games that helped challenge my friends and I to adapt and develop our styles as authors. Now she's gone and got herself busy with work. I, however, am still around to continue the tradition somewhat.

Now to the content at hand!

American Sentences is a form of poetry developed by Allen Ginsberg. Good ole Ginsberg spent a fair amount of his later life studying Buddhism and delving into ancient haikus. Eventually he came to adapt these for a more American style. While it follows the same 17-syllable rule it flows as a single linear sentence with no breaks. The most of these poems end up nonsensical and humorous because of such. However that does not yet make them useless. This practice encourages the use of in-line rhyming as well as alliteration in order to form an image that is both concrete and, more often than naught, impossible. For those more interested in looking into the style and history of the American Sentence feel free to look here.

So in basic, the American Sentence follows these simple rules:
  • Contains 17 Syllables. No more, no less.
  • Flows in a linear pattern with no breaks.
  • Is Intentionally nonsensical and impossible.
  • Holds an unexpected surprise at the end.

For example, we have some of Ginsberg's own work to provide an example:

Four skinheads stand in the streetlight rain chatting under an umbrella.

Rainy night on Union square, full moon. Want more poems? Wait till I’m dead.

Of course I've had to try my hand at my own-

Medieval Knights ride down New York Ave, waving their cell phones for signal.

At this point I could use the American Sentence to branch off into a full-blown poem, or just giggle bemusedly at the image in my head. My challenge to you, my friends, for this week is to go ahead and try to make your own American Sentence. Feel free to post multiples, or even go into poems. Have fun!
But...But...I have no grasp of your Northerner ways!
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
The man who weeps is the same who peeps through holes and cracks with eyes of wax.

rubbish
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(11-13-2013, 08:51 PM)MstrCorvus Wrote: But...But...I have no grasp of your Northerner ways!

'Tis the reason that this is presented as a bit of a challenge!
The horse put on his best Sunday clothes to leave the house to buy a hose.

(for all you uncultured swine, horse and house can be considered a slant rhyme <3)
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
...These are way too much fun (or maybe I'm just easily distracted).

Spoilered for language.

Spoiler:
“Man on the moon, golden doubloons, gotta go get me those tasty shrooms.”

In this way his words kept fuming out, like some strangely religious lout.

“Tasty shrooms, rabid ‘coons, I gotta find the key to that god damn room.”

I wandered over to this odd fellow and asked him why he bellowed.

He stared at me with glazed-eyes cryptic, then spoke words apocalyptic:

“You too will see soon the hallucinogenic power of the shrooms.”
[Image: c9eda896-b205-41b9-9f52-22b1e122210f.jpg]
Drop a few assorted pills in her tea, maybe a chilli or three.
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]