The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

What draws you to role-play?
Quote:Why is it that you role-play? (A hobby, honing your writing skills, etc.)

Several reasons!
  • Writing inspiration and improvement. I get my ideas and test them out by interacting with different individuals in that setting. It helps me decide if my ideas are engaging, if they're interesting, if they're fun, cliched, trite, poor, etc.
  • Exploration of character psyche. I tend to have a higher interest in writing a character when I have opportunities to explore the world in and out of a story.
  • Exploring other individuals' characters and ideas. I may have genuine interest in another individual's characters and would like to interact with them. I may even enjoy them more this way than reading prose about them.
  • General relaxation and entertainment. Hey, it's fun!

Quote:When creating a character is it mostly your own ideas and imagination or based loosely off another fictional character?

This needs an elaborate explanation.

When I create a character, it tends to start with a story role, archetype, or inspiration (either pre-existing or developed by me) then I mold the character to be unique and entirely mine. I also tend to have ideas that tend to appear in an archetype but cannot exist all in one character.

My characters rarely are created solely for combat or casual roleplay--almost everyone has a story, and thus, my characters are written and created based on that purpose. Because I would have archetypes with multiple traits that would be unrealistic to put on one character, I end up creating more than one (or two, or three!) of the same archetype. An example would be Kapre, Kantado, Mahen'tosh, and Tibalan: all four are satellite characters based on the gentle-souled sidekick. However, in-depth analysis would show you they're also entirely different characters.

TL;DR: My character ideas are entirely original, but their creation inspirations are entirely external.

Quote:When you feel your character has fulfilled his or hers goals do you carry on with role-playing or do you feel the story has come to an end?

Depends on the character. Some characters are created to continue RP even if their story ended; these tend to be characters who are created with a specific purpose, usually some sort of social role (Kapre is an event planner, Kogan is a guard, Dino is a doctor, etc). However, if I feel the story has ended--and it has--I retire the character until they find another purpose. This does not apply if I killed them off permanently, of course.

Quote:What kind of genres of role-play do you feel most comfortable in? (Fantasy, medieval, sci-fi, etc.)

Any setting that isn't contemporary mundane. I'm fine with fantasy and sci-fi, but I tend to find the biggest joy of RP when I am in a foreign setting and historical period. I tend to be a big stickler of cultural and historical accuracy, however; while I am lenient and encouraging with artistic licensing, I become greatly irritated when RPers and writers alike become lazy with the setting and people, especially when they resort to stereotypes.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
Why is it that you role-play? (A hobby, honing your writing skills, etc.)

A hobby. My imigination is very good(Or at least, I think it is), and because of that, reading books(One of my biggest hobbies) and RPing are one of the most enjoyable things I do. I started a novel too, but I don't think I'll ever finish it. We'll see, though.

When creating a character is it mostly your own ideas and imagination or based loosely off another fictional character?

Both, I'd say. Some of my characters are indeed inspired by characters from an outside source(mostly books), but I usually tweak them to a point, where they are almost an original concept. But my favourite characters are original, because they quickly grow to my heart. /Shrug

When you feel your character has fulfilled his or hers goals do you carry on with role-playing or do you feel the story has come to an end?

Well, that depends on the characters. Most of my characters would make new goals and new goals after that, but unlike Flammos said, I think the story ends with the death.(Unless reviving the said character[Or retconing the death, come cata])

What kind of genres of role-play do you feel most comfortable in? (Fantasy, medieval, sci-fi, etc.)

Most comfortable? High Fantasy. I mean...A fantasy setting, where the lore isn't too...Strict. Where I can create lore for my own species, for my own classes and own ideas. While I know it is almost impossible to achieve, I still enjoy that the most. This is why I started to write a book in the first place. But I'm comfortable with simple Fantasy and medieval genre. They can be fun too.
"Excellence is when failure becomes improvement"

[Image: a7KvoWr_460sa_v1.gif]
(03-21-2013, 01:21 PM)grembomb Wrote: I'm currently writing a thesis for creative writing for my local university and I need to do some research on creative writing combined with improvisation so If you have some spare time could you answer a few of these questions for me so I can gather other opinions on the matter. Thanks in advance!

Why is it that you role-play? (A hobby, honing your writing skills, etc.)

When creating a character is it mostly your own ideas and imagination or based loosely off another fictional character?

When you feel your character has fulfilled his or hers goals do you carry on with role-playing or do you feel the story has come to an end?

What kind of genres of role-play do you feel most comfortable in? (Fantasy, medieval, sci-fi, etc.)

Roleplay helps honing my skills as well as creating stories. I love to share, I'm a creative person, and collaborative writing is an excellent way to proceed. I'm roleplaying because I want to build out concepts, flesh them into characters, toy with them, dance with them and have fun with them --- but if it were just that I would just write off somewhere. To make fun, share my character, have it interact with other characters out of your own boundaries and control is twice as fun - it's like bringing a stone to a building world. And this creative and sharing side - to have fun and to make fun - is perfectly handled in roleplaying. Of course, barring erotic "roleplay" or other Garry's Mod / NWN2 situations. I mean actual roleplay, with characters and stories to flesh out. We're a superior community after all. Actually, many single player games frustrate me because while I have fun allright, I can't make it fun back, and I can't create and share what I'm doing in these games around.

I have ended stories too, but I usually don't feel like my characters are finished when their goals are - there's always a purpose, and what interests me is the character concept itself, and how people interact with it. It's not the end that matters to me.

As for genres, I could be fine with any setting....were it not for a complete lack of graphical RP-friendly environments. - Now I think about it I'd love sci-fi more, but that's because I love science fiction. - It'd have more to do with the consistency of the setting and the quality of the roleplay...I don't meddle with plebian Garry's Mod 12-year-olds (at least in mind, but also often in body).
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
Why is it that you role-play?
I roleplay because I love using my imagination!

It's always based on imagination, I work the character from scratch in my head prior to creating it.

I believe when a character has reached the ultimate goal in their life, that it is time to end that story and begin anew.

What kind of genres of role-play do you feel most comfortable in?
I find medieval roleplay the most enjoyable, but that is simply preference. I enjoy learning about the past more than predicting a future.
(03-21-2013, 01:21 PM)grembomb Wrote: Why is it that you role-play? (A hobby, honing your writing skills, etc.)
Mostly because it's a refreshing pace of change. This community is friendly and that's what keeps pulling me back in. I have played many games, social and video games alike. They all share that playing WITH each other is more important than anything.

Sadly, most people of my generation have never understood this. There are many good games out there with rich ideas and stories and intriguing worlds - But they're filled with kiddos that play AGAINST each other and do everything to ruin each others fun. This is different here and that's why I'm back again right now. :3

(03-21-2013, 01:21 PM)grembomb Wrote: When creating a character is it mostly your own ideas and imagination or based loosely off another fictional character?
A bit of both, but more my own ideas than anything else.

(03-21-2013, 01:21 PM)grembomb Wrote: When you feel your character has fulfilled his or hers goals do you carry on with role-playing or do you feel the story has come to an end?
I keep on playing that character. I don't want to lose it just like that, unless dying was part of the plan from the start. I don't like starting over, just like in reallife. I take my character as far as possible.

(03-21-2013, 01:21 PM)grembomb Wrote: What kind of genres of role-play do you feel most comfortable in? (Fantasy, medieval, sci-fi, etc.)
The setting doesn't matter. As long as it is a consistent world with few logical loopholes I'm happy.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Character ideas that don't play by CotH character creation rules Dae 26 10,334 01-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Dae
  Community Inquiry: Forsaken Role Play and its future on CotH CappnRob 22 5,056 07-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Reigen
  I can't play good characters. Aphetoros 16 7,035 09-15-2012, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Ormica
  I can't play evil characters Dae 15 3,514 09-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Bovel
  Rating Bad Guys Role Playing Wise: Brutalskars 8 1,522 08-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Last Post: McKnighter