The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Writings of an Anchorite
Among the scarce belongings of an anchorite rests a mundane shard, a foot long and three inches at its widest point. The crystal is uncut apart from one polished area which forms a small window into its heart. A faint glimmer escapes from the coral-hued shard and daylight passing through can reveal draenic symbols within.

The data crystal has seen thousands of years pass and journeyed across many worlds. Yet within is no odyssey of a hero, no arcane knowledge of power nor any dark secrets that will change the course of history. Recorded within is the struggles, joys and thoughts of a humble father, widower and a man of his people.

[Image: fJq3U.png]
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
2/8 -12
Anchorite Telah Wrote:Sleepless among the changed
I turn once more upon this makeshift bed while sleep eludes me again, only briefly has it visited me this night and only twice. I worry for the others and in turn worry for us all as in their state they could attract the attention of something we aren’t able to handle, a collection of bog lords...

It’s in moments of darkness and struggle we must grasp at hope and the Light, even when it cannot aid us directly. Intelligence, the virtue I must fully immerse myself in to help my lost and confused. Taera, Troovo, Gantrithor, Valia and Lillee.

Something has changed them profoundly from within their core, for a moment I thought they were not themselves but something or rather someone else. But sister arcanist Andra told me of toxins that could make them act as they do, which sounds more reasonable. Yet why do I feel like is is not spores but something alive on it’s own?

Sleep will keep avoiding me as long as I write, so I stop here and shall try and lure it back to me.
By the Light’s embrace.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.

4/8 -12
Anchorite Telah Wrote:Back to normal, changed forever
I’m surprised that I am not experiencing more relief in this moment. I am certainly glad that my companions, my friends have returned back to normal. But the unsettling weight of anxiety lingers along with questions. What happened back there in that circle of mushrooms?

A part of me wanted to allow them here longer, to talk with them, form a bond to them and learn from them. The cost on the other hand would have been far to great, if they could not be extricated. If I had the time I would have talked to them all, made them all return to wherever they came from, no blood was paid but it wasn’t a meeting without violence. Naaru forgive me for using this blessed gifts against my own brother. Troovo, forgive me.

Now I ask myself, what else awaits on the Refuge that we failed to see over the course of a millennium? I do not hold an answers but the question appeals to a youthful side of this aging exile.
By the Light’s embrace.

9/8 -12
Anchorite Telah Wrote:Echos from a face
Allira visited the infirmary earlier this cycle. A weight slipped from of my shoulder when I came to the conclusion that she and her unspawned were safe and healthy, one I didn't know I carried. Yet, when I first laid my eyes upon her, I saw only her twin-sister. In the next moment, it was Allira who stood before me but all I wanted was to perceive Nexariel again in her stead. She wasn't aware of her sister's absence, and it seems to me that very few are.

I must cling to the virtue of intelligence and not allow ignorance seed doubt within my mind. Somehow I shall find answers to her whereabouts.

The last time Allira and I met, she was around halfway through her spawncycle. Now she is getting close to the end of her gestation and a time of joy and celebration. I ask in my prayers that the father will be lead here before the day of spawning. It will be good to have a child within the conglomeration, for all of us.
By the Light's embrace.

18/8 -12
Anchorite Telah Wrote:The living idol
Warden Riversong told me about the strange events that has taken place on Draenor ever since the Expedition came here. My initial thought was of changer Umbra, she suffered from similar difficulties as this kal’dorei described. And now I cannot help but to wonder if she is one of those who have disappeared? I reach out in my prayers for Lillee, that she may find comfort, peace and that these mysterious happenings won’t afflict her.

I consider myself having seen much of what is to see among the worlds my kin have traversed. Few things I have witnessed rival what has been seen today in both strangeness and cruelty. A humanoid turned into a living idol of a deity, the flesh itself desecrated and decorated at the same time. There are more horrid details, but I dare not store them.

May changer Mandriel find eternal peace in the forests of Ashenvale in the world of his birth.
May it be so.

19/8 -12
Anchorite Telah Wrote:Lillee
I am not certain what came over me, be it compassion or pity or accountability but I asked Lillee to follow me over to the pond. To where I first realized my true intentions towards shamaness Nexariel. The reason was that I wanted to show her that Draenor holds more than just loss and sorrow, despite events that seem to convince us otherwise. And that she is not alone on this, to her alien world.

I call her 'changer' yet her face does not change often. But beneath is a passionate soul that is moved by compassion and warmth like the reeds of Nagrand. One must subdue the strongest emotions to retain a clear mind able to make crucial decisions, but emotions are not easily buried and will emerge. That is why we create or choose moments when such emotions can be allowed to surface, to free ourselves from the burden. That is why I brought Lillee to the pond.
By the Light’s embrace.

26/8 -12
Anchorite Telah Wrote:Death and beyond
There are so many words that wish to escape my mind, I am unable to decide which word shall herald which sentence. Youthful ideas of vindication wells up within trying to pierce my concentration and an ominous sensation warps the perception of my surroundings. It emanates from the decrepit tome to my right, a simple registry over the southern areas of Terokkar. Now a tool for malicious purposes. I don’t understand it, how can an item like it be harnessed for such torment?

I witnessed the pain, first on the face of brother Kapre and then upon the spirit itself. The wail didn’t fully resonate with me but it was not wholly unfamiliar, the volume and depth of the scream took me back to Telredor and the moment I knew I was alone. It makes me consider the conditions of death, are our spirits so malleable after passing and how easily can such torture be placed upon us?

An orc accompanied us, one I had met before that share title with Taera. He named himself Jurok and there was something nestled in his words that mirrored his brown-skinned ancestors, an air of wisdom about him that demanded and I thought deserved a level of trust from me. I was wrong in doing so. With a fellow orc at his mercy, Jurok took it upon him to be judge and executioner when he has the authority of neither, dealing death without offering a chance at redemption. Actions like his are what fosters a continued distrust and hatred among us exiles.
By the Light’s embrace.

9/1 -13
Anchorite Telah Wrote:Life among the ashes
Three months I have ignored this journal for the sake of the accursed registry. Whoever was clerk over the southern areas of Terokkar was not trained in the proper uses of a pen and ink. But our work has not been unrewarded, with the aid of Gantrithor and Troovo we were able to single out the name of the harbinger. To protect his continued peace I shall not repeat his name.

We faced the misguided members of the Cabal, just before the sun reached zenith, on the rim of Auchindoun itself. What my eyes witnessed today is something so atrocious I will probably never find the words to properly describe it. One orc, that seemed to be the ceremonial leader of the group, sacrificed her kinsman and ally by the edge of a blade to call upon a demon beyond her control which in the end devoured her. It is not my place to pass judgement on the soul of an orc but I cannot help to find a hint of rejoice in her miscalculation. My friends and comrades fought valiantly against the Legion and their puppets, the costs are outweighed by the eternal rest of the dead.

I knew in my heart that she hadn’t passed away. Despite my better judgement I have been clinging to that sliver of hope within me. That beholder spoke the truth and I cannot fathom a reason why it would lie, but it means she... My beloved Ahmat.
By the Light’s embrace.

The anchorite sits writing this entry calmly at the infirmary in Shattrath,
unphased by the magnitude of what was uncovered this day.
When he finishes he slides the crystal into his ash-covered clothing and walks just outside the Dwelling,
takes a seat on a log and soon enough tears start to trickle down his face.

10/1 -13
Anchorite Telah Wrote:Inspiring devotion
Our journey has been a long one, for our hooves and by the count of sunsets, for our hearts. It has led us hunting fen striders through Zangar when we almost lost a gnome comrade to the marshes, we have been honoured to be present at the ceremonial burning of an orc and we have faced bone wurms and can now tell that tale. Auchindoun has called us more than once and filled us with terror and we have stopped the vile rituals of the Cabal.

I feared that our task would ultimately lead us into the winding halls of the mausoleum once more but what played out beneath the Bone Wastes was far from my most extreme predictions. As anchorite I was told about the auchenai and how their priesthood is composed of brethren from our ranks, that they are not just a dark sect with fascination for bones but fills a purpose which is left unknown to the rest of the kindred.

The sixth spirit revealed itself or rather herself and she said she knew me and there was something familiar about her, yet she was a stranger to me. Perhaps she meant the time she has haunted me? She dubbed herself “Lady Auchena” and told us about the uncertainty of her fate, a peaceful afterlife might never be hers to cherish but her oathed duty overshadowed everything else. Anchorite Uleen always told me, “Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain.” and never did I fully understand the extent of that phrase, until today. Her devotion remained strong even when flesh and name had failed. I will remember her face and her voice and her strength and her valiant actions until the day I perish!

Despite the tainted and warped presence, looking upon that which kept the sixth in crypts was like upon resting my eyes on an old friend that has been worn by the turn of time and ended up on straying paths. Within in my chimed old memories that regained their clarity, visions of Murar cradling our daughter Ahmat, images of Nexariel telling stories from past worlds to the orphans, even a my father.

It was many cycles ago that I made the trunk of a tree my pillow and the soil beneath me my mattress, but in this moment there is no other place I should be. I pray that I find the wisdom to help before it is too late.
By the Light’s embrace.

15/1 -13
Anchorite Telah Wrote:Kosh’harg
This is an orcish word, the name of a festival held in spring and sometimes fall back in those days when the clans kept to their own most of the year. It served as a chance for leaders to speak about matters that affected them all. And it was held on sacred soil where animosity and violence was strictly forbidden. And these traditions would serve our purpose perfectly.

Last time shaman Jurok and I parted, it was with anger and distrust. Yet we met again and quickly realized our own faults, both of were blinded by the ways of our people that we discarded reason. And our reconciliation became a celebration, modeled after this old orcish tradition. To hold it here at Halaa was very symbolic, the nave of Nagrand our people have fought over for years and not so long ago turned neutral and welcoming both sides.

Draenei and orc have spent these three days side by side hunting and preparing the feast, challenging each other in different games and sharing stories of the present and the past. According to tradition we held a tribunal with orcish elders and us anchorites. It is the first time I have voiced my views on their corruption to a son or daughter of Draenor. As I spoke of the past, Jurok has his sights set on the future and it was decided that despite ours paths breaking away from each other through the Alliance or Horde, we should each spring honour each other and Draenor and return for another festival. Perhaps we cannot be allies, but we can remember and honour our common past.

It never occurred to me that the orcs view our former vessel like we exiled ones do. Some details differ of course, but the core is the same. To a draenei it has been home and the holy powers within saved us from the Legion’s grasp. To an orc the mountain is sacred because it attracts their ancestral spirits and serves as a symbol for Draenor and their race. So we honoured the spirits and prayed to the Holy Light of Creation in the shadow of Oshu’gun, a moment I will cherish forever.
By the Light’s embrace.

18/1 -13
Anchorite Telah Wrote:Twist and churn
I have first hand witnessed the corrupting nature of the demonic energies, how it twisted the orcs and sent them down a savage spiral and how our brethren warped under its influence and severed from the Holy Light of Creation. I am also aware the effects of fel upon flora and fauna over a period of time but what I just witnessed stretches beyond my previous experiences.

This dark but translucent matter both became something akin to an ethereal flesh experiment and animated the peat beneath our feet in a matter of moments. A monstrous monster of dying marshland and tar, very reminiscent to the rotten bog lord changer Lillee and I came across earlier.

She said the source of all this is her dreams. I’m unclear how she came to such a conclusion when what we have faced now has been a very real threat, though I cannot deny that her horrific nightmares and these events cannot be coincidental. Lillee has steeled herself and she is of a collected nature but I believe this shocked her to the core, the possibility of being a corruptor and a serious threat to others compared to being pure and a protector. I worry that she might crumble beneath that hardened skin, I cannot allow that to happen because I suspect we will need her to see this through to the end.

We have a clear destination now and a task - travel back to the Dwelling of Light and seek answers from the arakkoa of Lower City. Our experiences with these exiles differ but I think they can shine some light on these happenings. If not, maybe that cowardly Rookan is still held in the city by the peacekeepers.
By the Light’s embrace.

22/1 -13
Anchorite Telah Wrote:The sound of tiny hooves
I have returned to the Dwelling of Light after a dozen solar-cycles on hoof; I have not been gone long, but it feels good to return to the presence of the Naaru. However, I regret it has been long since I had the time to visit the orphanage down in Lower City.

By the time our business with the arakkoa was settled, the sun had almost set. I assumed most of the young were going to be asleep already or at least put to bed so I tried to be quiet when I entered and snuck past the matron. A tuft of coppery-blonde hair bobbed swiftly towards me and I felt the little girl thud into my tail, giving it a good squeeze for a child her size. I picked up Breenia and she stuffed one of my tendrils into her mouth, as is customary for every time we meet and I wiggled it, making her giggle.

The sound of the small ones’ feet quickly tapping over the stone floor always reminds me of Ahmat. How she used to run along the edges of the fountains in Karabor, those tiny hooves clattering off the masonry and disturbing all the neophyte anchorites that came to the gardens to study.

Little Breenia, when all is done and the pilgrimage is over and I have located Nexariel, then we will take you away from this place, this world. The Refuge offers offers only a bleak future of taint to someone with your lifespan and we want you to grow up with hope and resolve. We will bring you to Azeroth where your mother and father was born.
By the Light’s embrace.

28/1 -13
Anchorite Telah Wrote:The Raven
The titter of children has always eased my heart and mind, ever since I became a father. An ulterior motive to why I choose to spend as much of the cycle as I can divert at the orphanage in Lower City. It was a much needed visit after dour events at the arakkoan veil in Shattrath, the decision placed in our hands was a heavy one. My bliss with Breenia and her friends was interrupted the matron, a bird hopping around the entrance of the building alarmed her.

Upon inspection I found that the avian was a tamed kaliri that bore a parchment from priestess Brighnest. She was true to her words and revealed to us the true identity of the “Great Bird”; a deity of the bird-folk called the Raven. One of many birds worshipped by the arakkoa, but the strongest that is an enemy to the other avians. The cult devoted to the Raven was exiled from Skettis at some point for their heresy against their god-king. Shiira also described a prophecy that is said to circulate among the raven-cultists. The Raven once flew to high with his arrogance but was struck down, through the dreams of his enemies shall he emerge again and when he has returned the Old Blood will flow once again.
As I read her words, events that seemed random during these last two solar cycles became connected.

But the priestess Brightnest did not leave us empty-handed. She has described a way to call this being into our world and heed his revival. However, it will require the body of a sleeping shapeshifter as a vessel or a portal. I am not sure if I can ask this of Lillee, the effects of this dark deity has worn her down much already. And according to Shiira this rite has to be held in “a place of birth”. I am thinking it is somewhere above their city in the Skethyl mountains.
By the Light’s embrace.

The prophecy the arakkoan priestess had left me rendered me sleepless, many questions had sprouted from her words so I decided to locate her in the veil, under cover of darkness. But I was too late for I arrived to a massacre. Bird-folk tended to a ravaged body I recognized by garb as the priestess, her kindred shared with me that mysterious black birds had clawed out her eyes and throat. I did not doubt her words but I didn’t acknowledge the gravity of them, she paid with her life to aid us. I do not regret our choice of purging the unborn arakkoa. We offered priestess Brightnest peace in knowing she did not leave corruption behind.

Hers was a noble sacrifice, an exemplar among arakkoa and draenei, a true Light in the dark.

30/1 -13
Anchorite Telah Wrote:To blossom
I have been apprehensive to initiate this level of sharing among my flock of pilgrims. More than one of those that have joined me on this journey are introvert and private. And I believe that few have experienced the Bond much in their lifetimes, if at all.

I am proud of paladin Cristovao. For a human he has embraced our “alien” ways well and in a short period of time. His mind is still young and not tempered by wisdom but I can see it changing, perhaps will he overcome the odds of his minute lifespan. I pray that he can serve as an example to the human Castor. This young man was born on the Refuge and considered it home like many of my kind. I was intrigued by him and I hope I shall meet again on our journey.

Acolyte Andra shared with us something I know all too well, the void of children grown up or lost. A bottomless pit that cannot really be filled or mended by anything. More spawns make us forget it, but when their time comes we are only left being further hollowed. My thoughts turn to Breenia and orphans like her, my thoughts turn to the younger pilgrims that look forward to form a family. And it only strengthens my determination further.

Out of all stories and emotions shared there was one that both surprised me the most, but also brought me most joy. Changer Lillee stepped in among us and offered her words. Before this she had sat aside from us, listening to the others without real participation. By words the child of the stars blossomed before us all. Burdens she kept bound only as her own finally become ours. I think I look upon her with the eyes of a father, despite our racial differences.
By the Light’s embrace.

1/2 -13
Anchorite Telah Wrote:Dark divinity
I feel obligated to write something down for posterity but I cannot free my thoughts from terror that claws upon them. A cloak of impenetrable darkness that is pulled over this and many other worlds. A power that rules with horror and fear from the skies, harassing all those left on the ground like insignificant critters. I witnessed it in his eyes. Scarlet Night.

We have faced a god, an entity wrought from primeval hungering greed and boundless malice. I dread to think of the consequences had we failed. Blessed were we by the final grace of priestess Shiira Brightnest. I know not the ways of the arakkoa, but I’m convinced the two mighty kaliri that aided us was her mysterious doing.

I pray that this dark being nevermore shall be reborn.
By the Light’s embrace.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Balgarn's Writings Grakor456 2 865 08-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Grakor456
  Writings of an Aphetoros Aphetoros 3 940 03-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Aphetoros