The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

a harmless NPC's introduction
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player:

First off, I'm 26 years old, and my interests outside of WoW include cats, comic books, cooking, and working to improve my art skills (I draw and make costumes). Sometimes I write stories, but it tends to take a backseat to everything else. But that's not really the kind of info anyone's looking for here.

As for WoW, I started playing in 2011 as a Warlock, but dropped the class in favor of playing a Holy Paladin and a Frost Death Knight (I raised them in tandem, which, in hindsight, was a terrible newbie mistake since I could have purchased heirlooms and spent a great deal less time grinding). Unfortunately, the changes to the class Pandaria brought to the table made the class less fun for me, so I switched to playing only my Death Knight. Admittedly, I'd rather be healing, but I don't have any other characters at level cap yet.
Currently, I can't afford any WoW time, and I very much miss being able to roleplay in Azeroth. I also would like to find a smaller, more roleplay-oriented community, so finding a good private server seemed to be the logical thing to do.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?:

United States, English.

How did you get into Warcraft?:

A friend of mine asked me if I wanted to goof around on the trial version of the game. After a painfully long download, I got to character creation and found out that I could play as an Undead. That alone was enough to hook me, although it helped that healer classes are super fun to me, gameplay-wise.

I didn't get into the roleplay aspect of WoW until around six months ago. Now, to be fair, I've been roleplaying on forums and over IM clients on and off since around 2003, I just hadn't put it together with WoW until recently.

How did you find us? Did anything in particular draw you to the server?:

I'm going to be honest here, I just Googled private rp servers. I checked out a couple of them before this one, but since they didn't require any sort of adherence to the game's lore, I decided to keep looking. I got to this one, and since it seems fairly active and sticks to the lore, here I am applying to join!

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:

If I absolutely had to pick a favorite, I enjoy sword-and-sorcery adventure roleplay. If I needed to pick once specific scenario, I love having characters that would rather be at each other's throats forced to work together. Maybe by the time it's over, they'll gain some mutual respect! Or maybe they'll just vow to kill each other after the quest is done, that's always a possibility.
Of course, I'm always up to try different types of stories and settings, that's part of the fun of roleplaying!

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:

Race:

Forsaken. I love the concept that a group of what basically amounts to zombies that were able to regain or keep their sentience. Since they used to be humans, waking up in Deathknell would essentially turn the entire world as they knew it on its head. While there are certain tropes Forsaken are expected to play into, there's still a lot of freedom concerning how to handle the story of their death and reaction upon finding that they were resurrected as undead. Personally, I've always enjoyed a little dark humor, and the morbid attitude typical of Forsaken NPCs does not disappoint.
Also, the architecture. I've spent an embarrassing amount of time flying around looking at Undercity and Brill.

Class:

As for class, Death Knights are easily my favorite. The reasons are a bit similar to why I like the Forsaken. Having been raised in the service of the Scourge and subsequently freed, I assume that even currently well-accepted Death Knights had a period of time where they were distrusted and ostracized by the living. How the character's reaction is handled is something that I love seeing different people's take on. I've encountered characters that embraced what they had become, characters that hated themselves, among many others. I also like reading Death Knights' backstories, and finding out whether or not any of their past has remained relevant to them.
Of course, I can have fun roleplaying any class! Death Knights just happen to have a special place in my heart.

What are your expectations of this server?:

A place to roleplay, make new friends, have fun, and maybe even improve my writing skills while I'm at it!

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:

No discussion of religion or politics. There are arguments relating to it pretty often on the retail servers, and it's rarely civil. I used to post on forums that had the same sort of policy implemented, and it did wonders to prevent unnecessary drama.

Did you know that we have a Mentor Program? It's entirely voluntary and you as a new player can sign up for it right now in your introduction! Are you interested in signing up to be assigned a Mentor? If so, say so here:

Sure, I'd love a helping hand getting started!

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:

A ragged figure plunged through the snow, toward something that glinted in the harsh winter sun. When the mountain path gave way to a steep slope, it slid, then plunged an old runesword into the loose rocks beneath the snow to stop at its target. Beneath a worn Archerus hood darkened lips moved. "C'mon, boy. Up." The words were spoken in such a low whisper that they were nearly inaudiable, but something heard them. Under the snow, something shifted. The bit of visible metal submerged briefly, then, in a tremendous burst of powdery snow, an armored, skeletal griffin shook itself loose from where it was trapped. "Good boy, Rotwing" the hooded figure spoke again, in a rasping, but distinctly female voice. Her mouth twitched into a position that could have been a smile, tightening the stitches that held half of her face together. Rotwing craned his neck back to look at his master, a faint ghostly light flickering in his empty eye sockets. Pulling back her hood, the undead woman surveyed her mount for obvious damage with blank, pale eyes (it should be noted here that "damage" is used loosely, as both steed and rider were clad in battered, corroded armor). Nothing seemed amiss, and for that she was grateful. It had been a stupid decision to try flying through one of Northrend's violent storms without a sturdier mount. She had lost a day and a half's travel time searching for Rotwing after the storm had knocked the pair into a sheer cliff face. Luckily, they had been flying low enough that several feet of snow were enough to cushion the inevitable fall. For the living, freezing to death during the storm would have been a worry, but to a permanently freezing corpse, it was a minor setback.

One stroke of good luck in two lives worth of bad, the Death Knight thought to herself.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:

I know that Death Knights have a bad rap on the Blizzard servers for being mostly people playing them incorrectly - Do they have a similar problem here, or is it kept in check by character profiles requiring approval?

EDIT: I just noticed that copying and pasting this from wordpad wreaked havoc on my formatting, so I added it back in. c:
Hello, aharmlessNPC, and welcome to COTH!

If you haven’t already, please do make sure to double-check the rules and policies so you’re for sure familiar to the server’s expectations! Also, if you haven’t already, make sure to register your in-game account in the Account Management page using the same information you registered your forum name under.

As for making your first character, there are a lot of helpful articles and guides for you to read up on in case you don’t fully understand the lore. The wiki also contains helpful tips for making a character and for when you’re writing your first profile, such as scale and height.

When you get your account created, make sure to /join Chat and /join Barrens in-game for if you have any questions not answered in the forums. Feel free to send me a message if you need any assistance, and I’ll give if a reply as soon as I can!

I think that being a private server with strict RP guidelines helps alleviate poorly executed Death Knight RP, and the profiling process helps, as it does with most classes of characters. I'm glad to see you enjoy them as a class - they hold a lot of potential for a good story-line and exploration of psychological themes.

I hope you enjoy your stay!

~Geo
[Image: anim_500.gif]
Hey, there you are! Welcome, buckaroo!

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Thanks! I'm surprised it went through so fast, I thought I'd have at least a few hours to get the game client downloaded haha.