The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Shining Shadows
(Done with the help of Beltharean)

Leonard Bennard Bennin II walked to the chapter house of the Alta Trinita, the rain pounding and clinking off his armor as he held crossbow ready for any intruders that felt the need to attack him, even as sullen as he looked. He saw the small tunnel that led into the valley of the chapter house, and lightning cracked in the distance. "As if ze setting could be vurse..." He muttered to himself, thinking on what had happened only moments earlier. Ben entered the musky tunnel, and removed his helmet, now sheltered temporarily from the heavy rain. He sighed, and continued on through the dark structure.

After barely moments of walking, he ended out into a small, grassy cut in the mountains, a small opening on one side of the mountains, and a few trees decorating the small hill in the center. At the top of the hill rested the great manor that the Alta Trinita had claimed as its chapter house. It was rather average for a manor of its size, hidden away in this Alterac setting. Ben walked to its doors and pushed them open, the heavy rain still pouring down on his toned form.

Ben entered the doorway, the manor's interior silent and a little dusty from misuse... The Trinita had found a better hideout, and he was the chapter house's keeper until they returned, or so that's how he saw it. Ben moved in, sighing deeply as he entered the main hall, the room glowing with candlelight from a large chandelier above as well as several candlesticks about the room and on the table that stood in the center. Ben went to the table and pulled out a chair, sitting in it, and tossing his helmet aside. His helmet was followed by his halberd and crossbow, the devices clanking on the floor of the manor.

Ben's thoughts sped to what had happened barely moments earlier... His encounter with the shadowy figure in Greenburge. Most of what he remembered started with his entering the ruins of the town, going for a usual patrol, searching for Tressian, the necromancer... Rumors and records had it that Tressian had once lived near the town, or even inside of it, and so Ben hoped to find him returned there. The large manor had struck Ben as the primary investigation first, and he came to the stairs at the bottom of the side-tower. He drew his halberd and proceeded up the steps, cautious as ever, ready to face anything that might spring from the shadows. Several rather bland flights of stairs began the journey, and then he reached the first solid room. It was large, and had a doorway in one of its corners, leading out into the outside - which had just now began to show rain. Ben instantly felt something twitching on his face when he saw something obscuring the moonlight - a shadowed figure and their glinting monocle.

"... Identify yourself." Ben shouted across the room, holding his halberd out in a defensive position, ready to jump to either side to avoid a projectile of any sort.

The shadowy figure seems to turn at the speaking, and folds its hands behind its back, one holding the others wrist. "I am the lord of this place. If anything, it's you that should be identifying yourself..."

Ben remained cautious, his eyes narrowing as he tried to see anything distinctive in the shadowy figure's features, but spots nothing. "Zis town has laid destroyed in zis state for years. I'll ask again. Who are you?"

"I said it once, I will say it again. This is my manor. Identify -your- self." The shadowy figure played with the words.

Ben growled lightly, his teeth clenching. "I am a Strategos of ze Alta Trinita. Zat should be sufficient for now."

"The Alta Trinita you say? Yes, I've heard they've become the epitome of dross aspects of the fervent zealot personified..." The shadowy figure repeated with words that almost seemed mildly rehearsed.

"You dare insult ze Trinita? Ve are ze true varriors of ze Light. Ze Argents are ignorant unt foolish." Ben answered, spite in his every breath.

"I would beg to differ... Your Alta Trinita has defiled all that the Light stands for... I myself am close to calling you a minor version of the Scarlet Crusade."

"Do not dare to compare ze Trinita to ze Scarlets. Ve are under ze control of no demons, our leadership is pure." Ben answered, compassion showing in his beliefs and words.

"As pure as the blood of an innocent priestess?" The shadowy figure's voice snared lightly.

"You call ze harboring of a necromancer unt ze foolishness of allowing treacherous, undead heezens into a -holy city- innocent?" Ben spoke with increased compassion.

"Whether you're ready for it or not, I'm the one that's going to educate you on how awful Light users can be... Let us use the Fallen Prince for example... Not all Paladins strike with the Light at their backs for the lengths of good. Respect is respecting others and their beliefs, tenacity is being able to put up with those beliefs. Compassion is trying to sway a person toward a better future, not tearing off their jaw, bashing in their skull, and nailing in their appendages." The shadowy figure's words seemed to have a power over Ben, but the pikeman stood resolute.

"Ve gave her a better future by killing her unt letting her be put before zee Light to be judged and denied passage into ze Light's hallowed halls." Ben said, his head now bowed, as he felt some small, hidden truth in the figure's words, but he told himself to deny them. He stared at the floor solemnly, a frown growing on his face. "Who are you... What do you want?"

The shadowy figure turned and looked out at the sky. "I want... To be accepted..." It walked out of the doorway, and then disappeared with the light flash of a teleportation.

Ben walked forward, his frown deepening as he neared the doorway, his halberd held out cautiously. He stepped out into the drizzling rain, and looked around from the high-up terrace, seeing nothing but dreary ruins. Ben looked to his right after a short while and saw more stairs. Slowly he went up the stairs, creaking as he walked up, step by step. "Is zis vut ze Light really vunts?" He thought aloud as he got into the next room, which was full of ruined furniture, but another staircase still stood at the other end of the room. Ben began to walk towards the staircase, but spotted something... A small ragdoll, covered in dust and cobwebs.

Ben leaned down and picked up the ragdoll, brushing some of the dust off, and revealing the toy's face. It bore a familiarity to his memories, but he just couldn't place it correctly. He decided to put it away in his packs, his frown ever deepening as he moved up the staircase. He looked around, now on the top of the manor's side-tower, a large terrace. Yet a small rectangular room stood on the other end of the terrace, a small staircase leading up and into it. Ben slowly walked up the staircase and into the room. This one's floor was scattered with broken furniture, and a large amount of broken artworks... But one caught his eye as relatively intact.

Ben knelt down at the intact art-piece, and blew the dust off of the picture... A family portrait was revealed, slightly molded with age, but mostly visible. In the picture he saw four people. One older woman with blonde hair, and her face was not showing much enjoyment in the current situation. Her face reminded Ben of someone... But he couldn't exactly place it. Ben then spotted another older person, a blonde haired man who appeared chubby in the portrait. He saw no features he could recognize in this man.

The older persons were not what caught his attention, however. It was the two younger ones. One was a younger version of Ben's necromancer-rival, Tressian. Black-haired, green-eyed, his hair in a bowl cut and his skin pale. The young Tressian did not look amused. Next to the young Tressian, Ben spotted a woman he recognized even in her youth. Annabelle Greene, the priestess that he had helped to kill... She was young, with dark-skin and freckles... Her eyes shined violet, and her hair was black. She seemed to be teasing the unamused Tressian in the portrait. Ben's mind clicked, and he blinked several times, removing the small ragdoll from before. He compared the doll to the picture of Anna, and his frown deepened even more. The doll bore a resemblance to the woman in her youth.

Bennin gulped lightly, but it was a resounding noise in the empty chamber. After examining the portrait one last time, Ben put the ragdoll back into his packs, and turned to leave the place, reaching the stairway and then frowning and looking back for only a moment. He then turned and continued on his journey back to the chapter house.

Bennin exited his trance at that, and looked around at the interior of the chapter house, his face still frowning heavily. "Zis is vut ze Light vunts... I svore an oas... I shall follow it..." He told himself with one last breath. He could not tell what he felt... Perhaps it was remorse, or regret? It was shut out quickly as Bennin told himself that he was loyal to the Alta Trinita, and nothing else. However, even as zealous as Ben told himself he was, he could not forget the feeling of remorse from that moment.
Not sure what a journal can do for me, but it was a suggestion by the innkeeper. It will apparently keep my memories in a sort of 'check'. Well, I shall start this as simply as possible then.

I am Leonard Bennard Bennin the Second, son of Leonard Bennard Bennin the First. Born of Alterac, I am the bastard child of a supposed noble. My childhood was mostly spent with my mother and good friend of similar circumstances Dukenson. A strangely named friend, but a friend nonetheless.

When I was of age, I joined the Alterac military. This was also around the time of the Second War. I found myself lucky, walking into the planning room of the Alterac Dissidents. A confidential group of Alterac soldiers and generals that believed the Kingdom's nobles were going to (a word starting with 'f' is scratched out here) mess up the kingdom by joining forces with the Horde. It was only thanks to them in their surrender that I was able to survive the Second, too. I heard all of Alterac's formal military were either slain on sight or deserted to become part of a new 'Syndicate'.

After that, my memories are faint. I traveled. Found myself in many places, narrowly avoiding the battles of Lordaeron and the Blackrock skirmishes in Redridge. I was an outcast. Then I was walking to Hearthglen one day. I met Cassius Palenix, a zealot that was part of an organization known as Alta Trinita, which I was told translated to 'Holy Trinity'.

The Trinita was a worthy cause to me, and initially in our first skirmish on a small group of Blood Knights at that farm was... Invigorating, to say the least. Slaying them in cold blood, I am ashamed of it today but when it happened, I was filled with pride, and a sense of dignity and... Well, a place in the world. I was to be a zealot. That was the Light's will.

And then the shame was increased greatly by another event. Sir Palenix ordered us to ambush a priestess by the name of Annabelle Greene for consorting with undead and defying the Light's hallowed decrees. We ambushed her and took her to our chapter house. What happened afterwards will not be detailed in this journal, but if anyone is actually reading this, take to mind nothing 'too far' happened. Religious zealotry at the worst. Miss Greene died.

I was ashamed of my actions, and found myself searching for something to do. The Trinita's leader had disappeared, and Palenix followed. Then I received word from Miss Greene herself; now Missus Bronco; that Cassius Palenix was dead, and the Trinita along with him. Like with the Dissidents I was left with no place to go. I wandered the lands, looking for an answer. Then I remembered that Miss Greene had told me of something - the Argent Crusade, that which she served, was always looking for zealots turned against their former ways. I took the chance.

I am now Sir Leonard Bennard Bennin the Second of Alterac, Argent Halberdier. A good change from what I was, surely. I was given an assignment to act on by my own - Dustwallow Marsh, neighboring the island city of Theramore, where I currently reside. The Marsh is rumored to harbor a number of haunted areas and undead concentrations. I was given the assignment to gather adventurers and investigate these hauntings to see if anything could be done to stop them. The first one was... Strange.

I still do not know if this is the Light's will, that I go through such horrors. My first investigation was a small house in the northern marshes. I was blessed to find a large party; many among them, Tirasian, Arathorian, Lordaeronian, Argent, even orc, troll, and forsaken. We split up into small squads and set out to find the house. When we did, it started getting weird.

There was an eerie moaning, people had strange things happening to them. Most of all, what was a garden was now a graveyard. Bones riddled the yard, and the forsaken told us that each skeleton had an outline. Orcs, Tirasian humans, Ogres. They whispered to her. Seems this house had been the location of a battle. The door was locked, and the house had a very strange appearance to it. Specifically, it did not seem harmed by the years. We tried to get through the door, but a wave of... Just, pure force, or -something- pushed us away, and I was knocked cold in the water.

I do not remember anything other than when I awoke. I awoke in the middle of a battle, garbed in Tirasian gear with a Tirasian blade. Tirasians against Horde, it seemed. And then I found myself being thrown back into the water, but opposite of where I was just at. Some being of some power was imitating me, but it began to imitate all of us. We managed to slay its physical form, and we awoke again in the real world. It seemed to be linked to a scroll within the house, which we found and burned.

After the scroll was burned, we saw the graveyard-garden change. Gravestones rose for each corpse, and the nearby foliage took control. It was green, bright, contrasting to the swamp around it. It was... Beautiful. Such a strange thing, the light in the darkness. A shining shadow. What resulted from a dark event was now a beautiful thing.

This was a sign to me. A sign that no Light can be snuffed out. There would always be one source. No matter what the darkness could do, there would always be one source of Light. And this was a sign to me that that existed. Darkness had engulfed a once noble field, but in the end the Light prevailed.

But what happened during the fact. Was that the Light's will? Was this the curse of death? The being that we fought was once living like those soldiers that we were fighting in the battle. Would the Light not find sanction for those lost souls, or was it truly possible to trap them, to keep them from entering the sacred halls?

I remember once being told that the Light is probably sourced from some powerful being who sought justice and greatness in the 'Great Dark Beyond'. Is this being then not powerful enough to save the souls of those few that are trapped? Or is that why we exist? To exorcise its will against these threats? I feel honored to think of it, and it warms my heart to think that we exist to deliver the Light's will. The Light is powerful, and all-knowing. But who would learn lessons of fate and life if not for the mortals that are drawn to do its will? Those souls were trapped by some necromantic ritual, and it was the Light's will that I be the one to lead that party in to -free- the trapped souls, so that they -could- go to the hallowed halls as they deserved.

Does this make me a prophet? No. This does not make me a holy man either. I am the instrument for the Light's will, and no matter what others may say, I will continue my work in these marshes. These marshes are full of places like what I encountered. Innocent people will fall prey to them. Innocent people like the soldiers at that house. I was told that a greater battlefield of the Crusade needed aid - Icecrown, the North... The Plaguelands. But the Plaguelands had armies of Argents within them, and who was in the Marsh to prevent these horrible things from happening? I am. And I will continue to be until I have hunted down every last source of a haunting presence in this marsh.

The Light is compassionate, and I will not forget that. It wants me to free these souls and prevent future innocents from harm, and that is why I was sent on this measly mission in the first place. A foreboding thing, and a great responsibility on my shoulders. But I will not fail it. I am no hero. I am no great general or excellent field marshal. I am but a single halberdier with a heavy task. I will continue with my humble works, and let my kindness guide my route to freeing this land and its entrapped souls.

If I die doing this, then so be it. Another will take my place. And I will rejoice in the Light's halls as a man who has actually accomplished something. I will have served the Light to my death. I was a light-hearted man of a dark nature. An Alteracian that is not a traitor. A redeemed zealot. I am a shining shadow in my own.

May the Light protect all under its reign.

Entry signed, Sir Leonard Bennard Bennin the Second of Alterac. Ben for short.
I am Leonard Bennard Bennin the Second, son of Leonard Bennard Bennin the First, Alteracian Dissident, Argent Halberdier, Wandering Knight, Follower of the Holy Light.

For many long months I have worked tirelessly to investigate and put an end to the troubles I have found in Dustwallow Marsh. It has not been easy or hard, but it has been... Strange. Nothing significant, and most of the time nothing more than a passing shade that was easily taken down with enchanted weapons. It was quiet. I met several of Theramore's more aspiring guardsmen. All good men and women, I am glad that my brothers and sisters here have not followed the path of hate that so decorates the men of Stormwind. Jane, I heard, gave birth to a son a while ago. I am happy for her. The guardswoman was a proud and outstanding example of Theramore's brighter denizens.

That aside, I am writing now because I have been offered an opportunity; Sir Cristovao di Silvio, Knight of the Silver Hand, has formed a small order of knights that are similar to the paladins of old. Not just slayers of evil but also good men and women of the Light, giving their own time and faith to help those in need rather than slay the evils of today. He said that too many have forgotten what it was to be like that. Too many are now expecting paladins to simply be holy warriors to slay demons and undead, but we are to change that; we will show the world that we can do both.

(The page cuts off here, likely to be finished at a later time.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shadows in the night?.... [Stormwind] [Duskwood] Grogloki 1 1,081 11-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Grogloki
  Back from the shadows Stealthscout 7 2,294 04-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Last Post: Stealthscout
  Shadows FlyingSquirrel 0 635 06-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Last Post: FlyingSquirrel
  Seething Shadows JVNemesis 4 1,283 11-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Last Post: JVNemesis
  Valda Volume I - Through the Shadows. Ural 5 1,248 08-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Ural