The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Metagaming: The other side!
Woah! A thread! More appropriately, a tangent. The below paragraph is irrelevant to the thread, so read it at your own warning (of wasting some of your time!)

I spent about half a day musing over a word or prefix to accurately and snappily give the idea behind this thread to y'all, but soon realised that wasn't going to happen. I mean, 'metagaming' probably comes from 'metaphysics', which was derived from the Aristotle's article of the same name. Once we get to the base 'μετά', well, its closest definition is "after", and I can't find a good antonym for that. Beforegaming? Withingaming? Heck no. I then realised that metagaming wasn't something to be antonym'd, it was a coin what had two sides to it rather than one. Etymology is irrelevant though, as cool as it is, so this paragraph will leave for the next.

So, we all know what metagaming is, and if you don't I ain't gonna say it again at the risk of patronising everyone else! What took my fancy is the opposite - the point of this thread - RPing things ICly that you don't know OOCly. The issues of this range from trivial to mind-bogglingly difficult, and I think I'm going to do some fancy categorisation, if only to make the thread look nicer. Thus, I'll separate what I'm talking about into passive and active ... Reverse-metagaming.

Active, uh, other-metagaming:
The easier of the two, not only recognise but to deal with. You've got an engineer character, right? Who doesn't! Are you an engineer? Oh... Oh, you're not? Well, how do you know what the dielectric strength of that piece of metal wire you're about to use to conduct 20,000 volts into that poor chicken's caboose is? You... You don't? Well, how can you be an engineer! This is appalling! Well, actually, no, it isn't. I'm certainly not an engineer, and for the most (all) part I don't represent any of my characters in their professions or hobbies (this sentence open to rescinding should I roll a dumb kid who makes bad threads in the future), but in character I, we, have to deal with that.

How do we deal with it? Well, we usually open wikipedia, don't we? But here's a question - what level of 'research' do you think is enough? Do you find too little to be not doing justice to your character, Fiona the master blacksmith? Shouldn't she have some idea of what liquation is when a noble comes asking her to melt down all his precious gold coins (surely up to some kind of noble tricks) for him? On the other hand, is too much research extraneous - does it simply bite into the time you could be expounding on your character's character rather than, well, just being accurate?

As someone who tends to go beyond the cursory with this kind of gubbins, my viewpoint is skewed, but I think that these kinds of things tend to give to your character as much as wastin' time researching boring stuff (like what pasteurisation really is!), perhaps even then some - their knowledge is relevant to who they are, because they learned it for a reason, be it at knifepoint, begrudgingly or happily in school. However, there's a point where you're given something that you simply cannot find out in such a short time - or, should you figure it out, it is too difficult to ICly portray without twenty emotes and the possibility of putting your pals to sleep.

Even then there are still compromises, and they are commonly used too! Again, this is a matter of preference - some are okay with just going "Jyu'irtahn begins to work his magic on the portal", others find their personal zen by writing something like "Hyoo'man would draw mana from the ground - and the ley line beneath it - before directing it in a cone towards the portal". Of course, the cone is the #1 primitive shape for disabling portals. But... What if you get approached and specifically asked about information you'd know ICly? This is far more common than actually practising it, since social RP's more common than trade/craft/complexmagic RP, and so you've all probably had a run-in with this. From as little as "Bubber nods sagely" to as much as "Gorky nods once. 'The refraction of pyrite is well known to me - but the properties of amethyst when half-submerged have been known to allow communication with the spirits of the dead'", both are again a matter of preference and, more importantly, reflecting your character's personality. A character who knows things doesn't necessarily want to divulge those things. Or maybe they're just lazy.

Passive, uh... Polar-gaming:
Same basis as before but a far greater deal of subtlety, and also a much more ubiquitous part of your character. Rather than 'things they know', this is dealing with their experiences, their memories - how it effects their actions. These characters have lived (or are in the process of living, for you non-Forsaken) their lives and, barring patchy-memory-syndrome or targeted amnesia, should have a pretty good handle on what they've experienced, and these things would shape them on a conscious and not-so-conscious level. A lot of these experiences would have little drastic impact on a character, but even then a character is dictated by his past - Geoffrey of Stormwind, having had a nasty run-in with some muggers in the Old Town half a year back, would probably take the long way home to his house in the Trade District after Sunday mass, through the Mages' Quarter!

That's a larger example though, and is more indicative of just being in-line with your history rather than what I'm trying to type about. So, for a more abstract example, imagine one of the soldiers you most likely play - how much thought-cicles have you put into what being a soldier would be like? I mean, your character knows - he is a soldier, after all - but can you replicate it appropriately? It's still weighed in by his personality, but it could go as soft as him being a 'little gruff' when he meets people, to as hard as having multiple tics and patterns of behavior specifically because of his tours of duty. Perhaps he'd feel more grounded in reality than the people around him, pouring scorn on these kids who get to sit around in taverns and talk about nothing, and that's why he'd be outwardly gruff.

It's hard for me to say since, as is probably easy to pick up, I'm not a soldier and I'm hardly the kind of person to dictate such thoughts. The problem is that we have to, on a regular basis, at least if we want to keep some level of congruence with our characters and what they've done.

In closing, I guess all I really want from this thread are peoples' thoughts on the matter. How much do you research for characters with advanced (in relation to your own knowledge of it) knowledge in artistry/artisan-ry? Do you use that knowledge only in actions and conversation or do you let it influence how your character acts? Do you consider what things in the past - ingame or in your history section - could influence your character in the now? Did you even get to the end of this thread? I hope so.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
That was a hearty post. Let me reply while I digest it.

The only time it seriously comes up is for non-combat, exploration or mystery adventures and training. For the first three it largely depends on how cruel intuitive your DM is about your character's skills, abilities and knowledge. If they even care ask then of course it falls onto you to blurt out your entire history a sentence or two defining your character.

In my experience, training requires the most stress work effort. It is for that reason it scares the majority of skilled characters' users away. It is not that they are incapable, rather that they are noobs afraid of the unknown. When I'm the trainee I nag ask a ton of questions irrelevant to the normal operation of the skill I'm trying to learn. There are no clear-cut answers in lore or a special training outline detailing the various niches myself or my character would inquire about. In regards to that, it falls solely on the understanding and BS confidence of the trainer's user.

These things are best discussed OOCly before committing to take up the mantle of mentor or protege. Now that I have scared you off, let me counter myself. This can add a vastly unique and personal spin on your character. Let me share with you one of my own treasures, in hopes that any of my rambling makes sense. In the following spoiler is a proposed storyline for my Night Elf mohawk Warrior, Bananor Stormleaf. @Psycho takes all the credit for adding his own personal touches to the transition to Priest as is fitting for someone who has experience in RPing a Priestess.

Seriously, this is a massive spoiler for Bananor's development. Do not click if you'll regret it later.
Spoiler:

Each number is to be a separate IC post. The letters simply outline what details are to be covered in each post. This was heavily inspired by the now-defunct prestige system. Yes, even for a normal class it was helpful.

1. Vision of Silithus, War of the Shifting Sands – Vague.
_____a. The Might of Kalimdor.
_____b. The Dragonkin.
_____c. The Sun being blotted out by the silithid.

2. Same vision- but focused on Shiromar.
_____a. Walking alongside Fandral and lieutenants of the Horde.
_____b. Focused on the task, standing before the gong.
__________i. Point of view is Shiromar’s, looking out to crowd.
_____c. Vision ends with her ringing the gong.

3. The return to Silithus – Loom over the overrun Southwind Village.
_____a. Journey from Cenarion Hold to hometown.
__________i. Meet back up with Striped Dawnsaber
_____b. Think about childhood.

4. Explore Southwind Village – Fight off silithids!
_____a. Descend into eerily quiet town.
_____b. Touch familiar object- attacked by silithids.
_____c. Attempt to speak with the restless spirits. Be confused.

5. Return to Darnassus without progress.
_____a. Rija’s input? Needs more Elune.
_____b. Plea to Elune for guidance. Start fasting.
_____c. Time passes. Seven days?

6. Vision of Northrend, War against the Lich King – Vague.
_____a. The 7th Legion fighting Scourge.

7. Same vision- but focused on Shiromar again.
_____a. Protecting a soldier with Discipline talents.
_____b. Make the connection between the two visions. Rija dissuades Bananor from going back to Silithus; dark premonition?
_____c. Research info on the Scarab Lord. Decide on returning anyway.

8. Return to Silithus again, but this time to the Gates of Ahn’Qiraj.
_____a. Journey from Cenarion Hold to the Gates.
_____b. Gaze across the impressive walls.
_____c. Note the emptiness.
_____d. Travel shortly to Dwarven Encampment, spend the night.

9. Vision of chaos – Mind Control
_____a. Vision of chaos, indecipherable!
_____b. Wake up, travel in the night. Full moon. Bigger than recalls.
_____c. Formation of a Resonating Crystal Formation.
__________i. Rija’s necklace cracks.
_____d. Bananor mind-controlled by an Old God though the obelisk.
__________i. Speak in Faceless.
__________ii. Infused with a Deep Corruption, unlimited duration.
__________________1. The third healing or absorption effect cast on Bananor detonates violently with shadow magic, wide AoE.
__________iii. Temptation to suicide.
__________iv. Bananor overcomes the Mind-control with willpower and Elune’s aid.

10. The journey back to Cenarion Hold.
_____a. Exhausted, yet another attack of silithid- wasps.
_____b. Collapse onto Striped Dawnsaber.
_____c. Ride into the Hold to receive aid.
__________i. A few days recovery- Send a letter to Rija heralding his return.

11. Return to Darnassus.
_____a. Meet up with Rija. Spend some time with her recovering.
_____b. Explain the revelation.
__________i. Elune is not only in the sacred forests, but wherever her people are.
__________ii. Realize Elune’s guidance in the past trials.
__________iii. Express interest in taking the Priestly vows.

12. The Ritual of Unspoken Vows. In line with lunar cycles. Each one of them symbolizes a different part of the Acolytes pledge.
_____a. Cresent Moon - The Crescent being the physical, in which the Acolyte undergoes a purifying rite. The Crescent exposes only the beginning of the moon- The very surface of its true depth, just like a person's body does.
__________i. Ritual bathing in a moonwell.
_____b. Half Moon - The Half moon focuses on one's emotional pledge, in which he meditates beneath a moonlit spot of spiritual importance for himself. Elune has been recorded to be a very emotional Goddess, so perhaps coming into terms with one's own emotions is a matter of faith for the Nelfs.
__________i. Feeling of distance. Out of place. Loneliness.
__________ii. Realize he’s always been surrounded by kin.
__________iii. Emotions for Rija’s companionship.
c. Full Moon - The Full Moon focuses on the most important part- The religious pledging beneath Elune's open eye.
__________i. Taken to a garden with an oculus, beam of moonlight shining down.

Edit: I should wrap it up into a relevant point. To gauge how much research I actually do for certain things varies. However I would prefer to make it up as I go. Fake it till you make it.
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
Nice and hefty. Try spacing it out a little (just a tip).
Anyways, as far as research goes, I'd go a good amount of research. If you learn new things, do them in your RP, and teach others what the process or action is. Be both educational and show-offy.
Or don't strain past a few paragraphs of research. Something comes up you don't know, Google only takes a moment.
Me, personally, would do a good bit of research.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
Quote:In closing, I guess all I really want from this thread are peoples' thoughts on the matter. How much do you research for characters with advanced (in relation to your own knowledge of it) knowledge in artistry/artisan-ry? Do you use that knowledge only in actions and conversation or do you let it influence how your character acts?

A massive thread, and I haven't had my first coffee yet so for my first reply I'll just stick to the last bit as my coffee becomes drinkable. If my character is good at a profession or skill, I tend to research it a lot for I have the habit of picking up skills I don't know a thing about IRL. Combat is really one of them, and most of my experience actually comes from in-game and reading up. (And waving a larp weapon around, trying to find the most comfortable way to swing it and still seemingly do damage with it.)

When it comes to a more peaceful profession, Tailoring, Skinning, Tanning and so on, I tend to have about four or five browser tabs open whenever I RP with wikipedia and various sources to figure out how it was done in the past, and how it is done currently and then try to find a bit of a middle road. I look up tools, materials, different uses or how to process it and so forth. I admittedly have a terrible memory and the moment I stop playing a toon I tend to forget all I just read off my monitor apart from the RP I concentrated on. I suppose I should try writing things down, or open an actual book but I digress.

I try to research, but there is more on the subject then I can ever learn for the RP I am involved in at that time so due to that, I keep my emotes somewhat 'vague' still and mention or refer to the toons and materials, or way she acts to do so without going really specific. "Toon performs the incision with a scalpel." instead of "Toon brings the scalpel to the skin just above the y bone, then cuts smoothly down to the x bone height and avoids the Z organ in the process while looking at the heart-monitor, reading that one's life values are ... " You get the idea. I can be a medic in-game, but I sure as heck won't ever be a surgeon in real life. Generally, if I really write out an description, I try to stick with three emotes in a row at most before giving others a chance to react on it, that's just my preference though. I've seen others do more, or less but I can't say I've ever fallen asleep due to a lengthy description on something.

Quote:Do you consider what things in the past - ingame or in your history section - could influence your character in the now? Did you even get to the end of this thread? I hope so.

The things that mainly influence my character are the IC events I get into, they have an history but admittedly I forget it at times and end up breaking it. Little details in it such as how my character hates the rain on Sundays may be forgotten despite having written that out, while I generally remember details on how she was robbed in that specific corner of the city. I guess it really depends for me history-wise, where was IC-events leave more of an impression and I tend to have my toons freely altered by other characters emotionally wise. (I've never been the type to lose an eye or arm or get pregnant, so I can't really add physically.) It also depends on how much I RP the toon. A toon which I consider to be my 'main' and have lot of RP's on day in and out is one I recall much better then an alt I made on the side to RP in different scenarios.
I actually don't do too much research on things like professions. I'm willing to just gloss over details of more complicated professions and skills...not just because of the effort necessary in learning these things, but also because these are details that rarely have any impact on RP itself. I mean, yes, it's nice if you know the full process of how to smith a sword, but whether you do or don't means nothing to my character talking to your blacksmith, unless there's teaching RP going on.

In general, I'm a strong believer that detail is wasted if it's not serving to further the story being told, and too much detail can bog down RP. It's for that reason I'll often gloss over details of things that I -do- know, because it's just not necessary to throw unnecessary details at people. RP is, in the end, about how characters interact with one another, even when we're dealing with combat, adventure, or other forms of "less social" RP. Everything else is sort of secondary. Some level of detail is good for the purposes of keeping the reading varied and interesting, but I certainly don't expect anyone to run to Wikipedia if my character asks if he can have a new shirt tailored.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
For me, being a martial artist and an amateur scientist, detail is everything. From fighting to electricity to sublimation to how a rotary engine works to "What does THIS button do!" and so on, I like the little things. However, do I do this in RP? Hell no. Should I? Maybe. You can only explain what can be explained. Since fireballs and lightning shooting out of our hands isn't real, how the hell do you explain that? The only thing you could explain is a chemical reaction, and then mana, but even then that's being lazy and not really explaining it.

At least with fighting you can explain "Wait how does a 200 pound elf throw a 400 pound orc?" Quite simply, it's finding certain weak points in the body, pressure points, etc., and then exploiting the hell out of them. I know a real skinny kid who dropped this 300+ lb guy like a sack of rocks. I saw it too, was amazing.

Now with engineering? That's... yeah... boring. I've yet to have anyone ask me "How does this work?" and expect an answer more than "It just does." It's like with cars. Almost no one wants to know how a straight six engine works, and why it's different from a V6 or a flat six, they're just gonna walk away from you hoping to hide around a corner... Or why the tires have to be warm in a formula 1 car so it - Oh damnit I've lost them already. Hey! Wake up!

So yeah, I don't really bother with details unless it's relevant. "Does it work? Good," works for me quite franky lol.
Y'all have a point about detail becoming pointless, although I feel in healthy amounts it can benefit an RP. I should note that in spite of what I wrote in my thread, the detail I use is usually through dialogue rather than emoting, which gives it more of an opportunity to be used. I generally use detail, at least recently, in a tradey/money fashion, where I think it's its most valuable - I think RP where two characters try and haggle, especially when they're OOCly aware of some information that makes it worth haggling, is pretty awesome and gives a lot of chance for one-up-man-ship (that can't be a word) and just gives more depth to them.

In the case of emoting and more technical things, like what's explained above, I tend not to go beyond what I think's necessary or could give some insight to the character. Quality, sometimes make, of an object, and under one emote for spells (that said, I don't think I've rolled a mage in my entire being here...). Otherwise, detail for its own sake (something that the character (or characters around them) wouldn't actually know about or be willing to discuss ICly) is something I'd file under extraneous.

Move him into the sun—

When it comes to writing, less is more.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Well...

yet again, I have to proclaim that I am thankful for google. A number of the characters that I play have professions of which I knew very little before I got to writing and playing the characters. Troovo is a good example of both what you're talking about and escapism...or perhaps wishing I could do what he does. What does he do? He trades spice so he carries essentially any spice that would exist on Azeroth. I generally just have the spices transferred over from Earth with a few WoW-additions. However, the guy is also a great cook. Me? I can make grilled cheese! ...not much else. A part of it is my laziness and not wanting to clean up the huge mess that cooking creates, but really, the reason I can't pursue cooking as a hobby in real life is because it's so expensive to buy all of the necessary ingredients, and I don't have to worry about things being expensive through my character. In playing him, I get to take all of those recipes that I have read and wanted to cook up in real life but was unable to afford it. And then my character gets asked to cook things I have no idea about, so I have that handy dandy google tab ready for when it happens.

In general, you don't need to be Caesar in order to understand Caesar. Unless the career is very obscure, you should be able to research it through google, an academic database, or watch a documentary on it (or talk to say...a cook in real life). It's really handy to be able to instantly research something in the middle of the RP and give it a lightning fast skim so that you can give some realism to what you're portraying in game. Thanks, Google! Our overlord.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
Am I weird for trying to hit the word "irrelevant" for a good minute thinking it was a wiki link? :|
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
It's a wiki link now!

Move him into the sun—

dats a big toast

For me, I sometimes do bits of research here and there but all-in-all.. I'm lazy. Lazy and a slow reader(coupled with severe ADD and short term memory loss), so skimming through information can sometimes take me hours to go through, and that's for smaller bits of information. And that's assuming I understand the subject matter to begin with. It's probably the reason why I steer away from having any 'experts'. But I also use this to my advantage because I greatly enjoy training/learning RP. Maybe because I'm learning just as much as my character so it's more exciting for me? But it does make for great character development.

NOT TO GET OFF TOPIC, I also like to try and put -some- details into my writing, whether it be dialogue or emote(even though both tend to look like a fourth fifth first grader kid wrote them). It makes it pretty and more enjoyable to read but I do agree that sometimes too much detail can bring down the quality of a post or encounter.

Remember kids; You can have too much of a good thing.

Edit: I'm a dumby-butt and tried clicking, or at least hovering over each of the colored texts to see if they were a link out of pure habit.
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Always Look on the Bright Side of Life! Terant 3 1,371 08-20-2011, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Uguu
  Fel Energy, the use of and its side effects demented 4 1,251 02-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Last Post: demented
  How can my Paladin fall to the Dark Side? jak13 8 1,723 03-13-2010, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Piken
  Catch you on the flip side, playa'! sasail 20 3,382 05-09-2009, 05:14 AM
Last Post: PiesOfNub
  Getting your Void Walker (Horde side) noscere 2 936 04-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Last Post: noscere