The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

A list of discouraged names?
Does anyone know if we have a list of names we can't use? I was thinking of using the name Israel for a character, but with the RL connections it has, although many names in WoW have real life connections too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Perhaps spelling variations might help, such as Israell or Issrael. Otherwise, as far as I know those things are just generic names so they're okay. As long as you don't go making a toon named Barack Obama or Shaq O'Neill!
I guess just avoid names who are words for other things (Behemoth for example), swears, inappropriate things or RL references like bands (unless you do it unknowingly).
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive. I'm not afraid of dying. Everyone has their time. Life never favored weakness.

Welcome to the pride!
A long while ago, we had a policy that I don't know if it has changed. Naming your character after nouns, for example... like calling an undead "Roach" or "Rust" or something, was highly discouraged. Typically it's discouraged to name a character something highly Japanese, unless it makes sense with their culture, such as with some Orcs or Pandaran---Pandaran being something we don't have yet.

Also, avoiding naming characters after real life locations or things---Naming someone Nevada, or Israel like you said. Basically, if you want to get creative with naming someone after a location, name them after a location in game.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Unless the characters name is Kaka Karote Kake, then that's fine...
Noillin Dawnhammer [Alive] - "We ride ta' battle together, not alone..."

'Gray' [Alive] - "I will not let my sacrifices go in vain... Never..."

Dragor Bloodfury [Alive] - "The cries of our comrades will not go unheard!"
(12-11-2013, 09:53 AM)Harmonic Wrote: A long while ago, we had a policy that I don't know if it has changed. Naming your character after nouns, for example... like calling an undead "Roach" or "Rust" or something, was highly discouraged.

Hmm. As far as I'm aware, this is an in-game name policy. However, In the case of Forsaken, they often take on new names, either stealing from gravestones or coming up with something entirely different. That is, if they didn't remember their real name. That being said, Roach would be a bit of a stretch, since it'd be hard to justify. I think that if a Forsaken takes on a new name, it'd need to match their personality or some sort of event in their lives. Although, if a Forsaken called himself Roach ironically because it's about being seen as a pest to Azeroth, and since dark humor would likely be the only kind of humor that Forsaken embrace, I think it'd be able to slide. Some Forsaken would be alright with the character taking on this name, and others would be disagreeable about it.

I'd conclude that the general rule is to pick your noun wisely if you use one.

Edit: mostly talking about Forsaken here. Other than them, I'd advise against using a noun name unless you're really good at justifying things - but even then, the in game name should be the first or last name of the birth name, and not a nickname.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
(12-11-2013, 09:53 AM)Harmonic Wrote: A long while ago, we had a policy that I don't know if it has changed. Naming your character after nouns, for example... like calling an undead "Roach" or "Rust" or something, was highly discouraged. Typically it's discouraged to name a character something highly Japanese, unless it makes sense with their culture, such as with some Orcs or Pandaran---Pandaran being something we don't have yet.

Also, avoiding naming characters after real life locations or things---Naming someone Nevada, or Israel like you said. Basically, if you want to get creative with naming someone after a location, name them after a location in game.

Israel is/was a name though. So I guess he could use it.
"Excellence is when failure becomes improvement"

[Image: a7KvoWr_460sa_v1.gif]
(12-11-2013, 09:53 AM)Harmonic Wrote: Also, avoiding naming characters after real life locations or things---Naming someone Nevada, or Israel like you said. Basically, if you want to get creative with naming someone after a location, name them after a location in game.

As Aethon noted, it is a name (ie children are named that (although we do have girls called China!)) so I'm assuming it can be done. But with the RL connections it has (and rocky connections, no less) can it be used?

I'm not doing it for the fact that it's a country name, I just think it's a really nice name. I'm just worried that it might be denied on the grounds of that it has RL connections.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Names are judged on a case by case basis now and days. Personally, I wouldn't use the name Israel for the fact is is a country even if it is also a name, just like I wouldn't allow Georgia as a name due to it being a state [some girls are named this].
Israel and Georgia are very interesting cases.

Israel I wouldn't permit, Georgia I would (personally).

Israel is Hebrew, and generally means "chosen by God", as in the Abrahamic God. Warcraft lacks such a deity, so using the name seems.... weird. That said, perhaps if changed around and used on a Draenei, it might work.

Georgia however is just the feminine form of George, and the state of Georgia was named after, well, King George :P
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
(12-11-2013, 12:39 PM)CappnRob Wrote: Israel is Hebrew, and generally means "chosen by God", as in the Abrahamic God. Warcraft lacks such a deity, so using the name seems.... weird. That said, perhaps if changed around and used on a Draenei, it might work.

Well... if you use my name, Benjamin, it's Hebrew meaning is "right hand of God" as in the Abrahamic God. But we have NPCs in game such as http://www.wowhead.com/npc=5484/

Very confusing, I know. It would fit a Draenei though, I agree.
Most of our modern day names, and even those in the Warcraft universe have different Hebrew meanings. Daniel, Daisy, David, the aforementioned Benjamin, are just a few examples. I personally wouldn't mind it, but then again, I'm not the one calling the shots. S'pose we just wait and see what the team decides, aye?
[Image: 54079-Dr-Evil-air-quotes-lasers-gif-A6nY.gif]
The point is, mostly---it's the name of a location. A specific one in our real world. Without that context, it doesn't really make sense in World of Warcraft, to the point where it's distracting.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

To be frank, does the term "Crusade" make sense in WoW? Does the usage of a cross as a symbol of the Light make any sense?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

I don't see a reason to kick up any fuss about using names, provided they sound in theme with the specific race. I would let a warped Arabic/Hebrew/generally semitic-sounding names slide for Draenei, for instance. Izrehel, Izraal, etc. Though Israel's a special case, I'll admit that much.

I'd allow terms and nouns for Forsaken, provided they were appropriate to the themes associated with the race, such as morbidity, the Shadow and nationalism. I wouldn't be surprised to encounter a Forsaken called Roach, or Wretch, or other such degratory terms. There's a lot you can do with a self-loathing character.
[Image: 6RpTZgI.gif]
I personally don't see anything wrong with this. What makes a difference between a name of a location, and a name of a character? With new locations being formed all the time, what's stopping people from using names of people to name their locations? Nothing.
Now, nouns are pretty different, although a lot of them are fine as far as Forsaken are concerned. But my opinion? Israel, Georgia, heck, even things a little odd like Nevada or Pakistan-- yes, all these places have meanings in their name, but that shouldn't make them entirely off-limits as use as names. Some of the places on the globe are, coincidentally, very beautifully named, and I think that it is only natural for the use of a beautiful name to carry on beyond its' original use.

To conclude (IMO) location names for players should be fine.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OOC Guild Names Kainue 23 3,793 11-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Last Post: Jeff
  RP Track list mangaboy111 6 1,595 11-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Stormgald
  Prestige List? Carver 3 1,014 08-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Piroska
  [DP] Bovel is making a another list! Bovel 5 1,458 06-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Roxas65
  Full list of IC spells? Adeptus 0 656 01-11-2010, 09:36 AM