The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

A Lingering Uncertainty
It's been a year now. I'm still a Peon, which I don't mind all too much since I haven't played often. Even though my activity on the server has gone down, I'm still here. I skim the forums and occasionally the skype logs from time to time. I maintain a few friendships that were made on the server.

Yet, I have an unsettling feeling.

I know there's a lot of drama, there always will be no matter what situation you're in. Every time I want to come back on the server, after realizing I have free time or I just want to RP, something happens that gives me a second thought. It's mostly when the drama hits the roof and comes crashing down on the forums.

I think I'm fine with people talking amongst themselves, whether it's on skype or in-game whispers, about these things. When hits the forums, a storm brews itself, creating potential trouble. It personally makes me feel uncomfortable reading these threads and how people react to them. Some people's reactions go over the line and I believe it creates hostility in the community. A hostile feeling that makes me not want to come back and stick to what friends I have. It also makes me fear that it's scaring away people, whether it's existing members or newcomers.

In my opinion, it shows people that, members are "immature" and members in charge are "not doing their job". Whether it's true or not is something I can't answer, nor do I think anyone else can. I really do think some people may feel the same way, which is very unfortunate.

I know we can't all get along. I know that personally. Sometimes my words come off in a different way than I mean to. I also know people dislike me for some of the actions I have done, OOCly and ICly. I believe I've been purposely avoided before or have another person try to extend an RP with a friend, so I cannot RP with that friend, despite being a friend of that friend. I'm sure we've all hit that road bump somewhere.

In short, I feel like we should keep ourselves in check for the good of ourselves and the community. We don't want to create a bigger mess than what was created, whether if we knew the details or not.

I hope Conquest of the Horde becomes a better place, with a little less drama here and there, so it can welcome more people and have more active players.
Quote:"Your faction is the underdog right?
You always lose and suck at everything.
You lose towns, people and your second in command is a 14-year old who uses dark magic on his protectors and runs away alone the the wilderness."
- Panoss from the WoW retail forums
I hope so too, and pursue it actively. :)
A peon is saying what many grunts think. Such is the life of a peon.

One way or another: I always miss the drama.. but I don't try to get myself around it either. Meanwhile, RP is nice.
It would be nice if the forums were completely clean of drama, but I think CotH already does a better job than most at curbing unpleasantness.

I agree with you for the most part, but I don't think anyone, be they players, GMs, or even Admins, should feel afraid to state their opinions calmly and non-confrontationally. Not even if what they say runs the risk of inflaming someone who disagrees. That's the only caveat I'd insist upon.
Delta Wrote:I agree with you for the most part, but I don't think anyone, be they players, GMs, or even Admins, should feel afraid to state their opinions calmly and non-confrontationally. Not even if what they say runs the risk of inflaming someone who disagrees. That's the only caveat I'd insist upon.

I've never felt it was too much to ask for people to be.. mature enough to give people the right of opinion. I entirely agree with @Delta in this. I don't see a reason that any person should stifle their opinion, if and only if they can form their opinion and give it maturely, and without deliberately offending those on the other side of their thinking. I don't say that there is a lack of maturity, but it's a recurring theme. People are generally mature enough to state their opinions, but when others reaction violently to this, it turns into the drama typhoon we all know.

In short, I agree. This thread says the message that has been broadcasted for almost as long as I've been on CotH; DO YOUR PART IN MAKING THE COMMUNITY MORE PEACEFUL AND AN OVERALL BETTER PLACE. And that's all. We all know how to be nice, I'll even go out on a limb and say that, in one point in life, we've all been educated on how to share things.. I see CotH no different. Or sharing a home with a family. You give a little, you get a little, and above all you keep your composure, without suppressing your feelings.

That's what Valicor has on the subject. I totally support the pro-peace project.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
This drama has been the theme on CotH for quite a while, but it isn't that much of a problem as the flame wars get put out quite fast. Yet, we must look from a neutral stand point and understand that as depressing as it may sound, but as long as people exist - there will be conflict. Though, it is not a bad thing because we are all different and opinions will most certainly vary, it's how we respond and present ourselves when we run into an opinion that conflicts our own.

It is always best to simply keep an open mind and offer your opinion as an alternative, while considering theirs as an alternative to yours if you really feel like having an argumented discussion. If not it is best to just stay quiet.
(01-10-2014, 12:02 AM)Aisha Wrote: as long as people exist - there will be conflict.

Exactly. And there are ways to handle the conflict without being nasty. Sometimes it is hard to control your anger, yes. Even adults have trouble with it sometimes, but learning to control it is something that you will benefit from for the rest of your life.

I'd like to quote a very wise man here.

"As long as there's two people left on the planet, someone is gonna want someone dead." ~The Sniper, Team Fortress 2.
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
(01-10-2014, 04:21 AM)MstrCorvus Wrote: I'd like to quote a very wise man here.

"As long as there's two people left on the planet, someone is gonna want someone dead." ~The Sniper, Team Fortress 2.
There you go, poetry. So threat not that it's something unusal that people fight. Tempers tend to flare. Simply be part of the solution and don't take in the ongoing negativity of others as it is just a sign of weakness and immaturity. Stay a positive force and you will see that people around you will take notice and try to be positive too. Simply put - spread the love.
There's nothing wrong with people sharing opinions. There is something wrong, when people do so in a way that's harmful, or is outright aggressive. There's been one too many instances on CoTH where people try to share an opinion that's laden with subtle jabs at others, whether it be other players or the GM team. It's a hard thing to avoid, because there's a lot of things here that outright foster negative emotions or posts... something that's been going on for a long time. Something I myself have done.

Your post is great. But don't be afraid of other people being jerks. It happens everywhere, and CoTH is fairly mild compared to... a majority of the interbutt. Most communities that revolve around gaming are cesspools of negativity and people hiding behind screen names.

My suggestion, ignore the bad, concentrate on the good. Don't click those hotbutton threads, don't get involved. Often times it's easy because they don't usually pertain to everyone, or are just complaining about a rule/making a rule.

All I can say, is that it's something that's probably going to be around unless CoTH become more strict on snark and sarcasm. At least before it goes into flaming and rampant internet hate... something will be done with those involved.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question - Questionnaire Uncertainty due to Connection ToxinDoctor 4 913 12-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Last Post: ToxinDoctor