The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: Would you like to see GMI removed?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes.
0%
0 0%
Nope.
89.66%
26 89.66%
I HAVE OPINIONS ON THIS (post below)
10.34%
3 10.34%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What do you think of GMI?
Recently, I've been thinking about the server and someone told me about how they wanted GMI to be removed.

I think I agree with them. I would like to see GMI removed from the server.

WHY?!

Because GMI is a trap.

It's a hangout for people, but whenever the talk of RP comes up, no one leaves or does anything. Everyone sits by the campfire and stays in GMI. I know in the past people have complained about this. The response in my opinion to that is, then change it and stop being the problem. My reply to that is, do you realize how hard it is to change?

For example, I want to do things that require me leaving my room, my home for part of the day. Do I do it? Not really. Why is that? Because my room is my sanctuary, it makes me feel comfortable and I have most things that I need there.

GMI is like how I feel with my room. It's keeping me from doing things. Yeah, I could have some force of sheer willpower, but what's going to spark that? If I were forced to not have a place of comfort, I would probably adapt like most people do and perhaps change my lifestyle around.

The only good things on GMI are some of the custom vendors. Yet, those could be placed in starter zones or something.

Do we really need one place of comfort that can trap us from the rest of the world?
Spending time in GMI takes away from the things you can see and experience in-game. I honestly like to fly around instead of hopping around GMI because I find sweet spots that could be potential RP places or have events to take place.

What does everyone else think?
Quote:"Your faction is the underdog right?
You always lose and suck at everything.
You lose towns, people and your second in command is a 14-year old who uses dark magic on his protectors and runs away alone the the wilderness."
- Panoss from the WoW retail forums
(06-10-2014, 10:21 PM)Alliicce Wrote: It's a hangout for people, but whenever the talk of RP comes up, no one leaves or does anything. Everyone sits by the campfire and stays in GMI.

Not even going to lie- I do this. I don't mean to, but it happens, and is a pain to change. Your idea is a good one, however the purpose of GMI seems somewhat crucial. I'm a bit on the fence about this. :3
The Artist Formerly Known as Mickspider!
Wanting to have GMI removed isn't something I'd ever want to happen, though the opinion has come up a few times. I personally believe the server needs a place to hang out in to either be social at, to afk at, to dress your toons up at or to set up skills and maul concepts over. A lot of the time I'm also at GMI when writing a forum post or storyline up, and open-office is just great to have which is on GMI as well. It also provides central portal access to anywhere in the world, without having to run around to find the nearest portal to be at a bank or tavern.

Quote:The only good things on GMI are some of the custom vendors. Yet, those could be placed in starter zones or something.

Which would ruin the starting zones visually in my opinion (Because such toons should be easy to find; Aka in sight. Plus there's quite a few of them. In some starting areas they could possibly make sense to stand around at and say, talk with another; But what of the others? Remake all the custom vendors to fit all the zones? Redundant work when it currently works just fine.), plus this also feels incredibly untrue.

Removing GMI would be.. too drastic in my opinion, plus there's no guarantee people would go out and RP then. People will still flock to some location to do all of the above at, or not log in at all; And when the in-game population is low, often times people just go and do other stuff with the idea that nothing is going on.

I don't think GMI is to be blamed for people's inability of going out to get RP (In this case, GMI being a trap supposedly and locking people down. I don't mean it in a general sense.). I can personally do it just fine, with strangers and old friends alike. Often it takes a while and you may need to repeat yourself several times to 'wake' people up so to write, but it isn't impossible.
I never cease to get irritated when I see people milling about in GMI, usually in droves of 6+, but I'd never really opt for it to be removed. It's a band-aid that doesn't deal with the actual reasons why people are milling around in the first place!
Although people milling about in the OOC zone is something that can be rather annoying, I would much rather people be hanging out there than potentially have half of them log out because they just don't really feel like RPing at the moment but may still wish to socialize. After all, those that may not be in the mood to RP something specific may see a call for RP that sparks their interest.
(06-10-2014, 10:45 PM)Kretol Wrote: Although people milling about in the OOC zone is something that can be rather annoying, I would much rather people be hanging out there than potentially have half of them log out because they just don't really feel like RPing at the moment but may still wish to socialize. After all, those that may not be in the mood to RP something specific may see a call for RP that sparks their interest.

This is very true.

Also, beyond the 'trap' aspect, GMI provides the vital service of being an out-of-character item and services HUB. Outfits vendors. Guild officiators. Even just mail-boxes and an easy-to-access OOC teleporter all make it a vital resource for players.

Honestly? GMI is actually a step-up from what we've had in the past. When I first joined, we were using old Battlegrounds as an OOC area and it was a nightmare not only to find items and content, but to even locate individuals for socializing.

GMI isn't the cause of out-of-character apathy; it is just the litmus test. People congregate there not because it exists, but because they have nowhere else to go or they simply wish to socialize, which they will do regardless. Removing it won't fix the disinterest of the player-base. It will just force them away from the server into third-party out-of-character locations, like Skype or other chat services.
[Image: B2hmvU1.gif]
I'd have to agree that taking it out probably won't help very much, even though it is disheartening when the majority of folks online are on GMI, but everyone has done it heh.
[Image: Signature.png]
Like most people, I've popped online and done some chatting on GMI only to get sidetracked and forget I logged on to RP. But I still get off my haunches to get out and RP because sometimes i'm really in the mood of 'Oh yeah, I really want some RP, let's go find it! BANSAI!' where other times it's more of a 'I'll log on and see if anything comes up, if not I can just chat with folk' kinda feeling. In short, GMI is a good way to have people interacting with each other even when they don't feel like RPing.
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
Even if you removed GMI it wouldn't help at all. It might make things worse, even, since people would have to be full-time IC and wouldn't even be able to access OOC services as conveniently.
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
I like GMI because it's a great place to hang out after some nice RP, but also because I can catch up with old friends there, meet new folk, chat about IRL events and just socialize in general. GMI's basically a chatroom for me, and a great place to recruit people for RP from.

We are an RP-centric community, yes. But first and foremost, we are a community. Like-minded people with a common interest, but still people.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
Above posters have already covered most of my opinion on this.

It really wouldn't make a difference if GMI was to be removed. The people who hang out there won't go out and RP just because they don't have somewhere to hang out, like others have already pointed out. The problem isn't in GMI itself, and I suppose I don't really think the loitering on GMI is a bad thing, either. People sit around and talk. The only thing that annoys me about GMI is when everyone's AFKing simultaneously, but even that is understandable.

So, while I understand the frustration with GMI, I don't see its removal solving any problems. Rather, I see it making the problem worse.
It's pretty clear no one wants it removed.. At least providing the poll results.

Was to be expected.
[Image: pj3isZU.gif]

[Image: 43883.png]
Thanks to everyone who posted. It was some good insight.
Though I have to say, GMI should be a cooler looking place if it were a hang out. All we have is that campfire to keep us toasty.
You lose towns, people and your second in command is a 14-year old who uses dark magic on his protectors and runs away alone the the wilderness."
GMI use to be lush and green and so full of live, but then the Fire Nation Atta- Cataclysm happened and for some reason it was all replaced with those ugly grey polygons.
Wouldn't mind if there were Goblin barmaids serving me up some drinks while I relax on a lawn chair under a beach umbrella. Drink all those ugly grey polygons away.