Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: A Message to GMs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've noticed that GMs, on the whole, are acting somewhat cold toward players. This isn't something I just noticed recently. For quite some time, it's felt to me like some of the GMs are like this ingame. I'm not talking about the forums or Vent when I say this; this is a purely ingame issue. For instance, it seems like sometimes when a player does something wrong, the GM response is often a bit harsher than it needs to be.

More importantly, I feel as though the GMs are hard to talk to. I don't mean this in an “oh, I want to go to the GMs about a problem and they aren't talking to me about it,” or a “the GMs won't answer me when I ask for my phat lewts!” I mean this purely from the point of view of a friendly relationship. Some of my best friends on the server have become GMs, and some of them are even Content GMs now. I feel, really, kind of hurt when I want to talk to one of my GMs, who was my friend before, so I whisper them in game with a friendly hello, and I get no response. Not even a, “I'm too busy to talk right now, but maybe later?” I just get nothing. I don't want to feel like I can't talk to the GMs like a friend anymore.

Now, I don't mean to say that all GMs are being this way. I'm also not going to name the GMs who have. But, both of these feel like definite issues to me, and I'd like to talk about what can be done to change or fix it. I'm not trying to target the GMs, and I'm certainly not trying to complain. I'm just bringing up an issue that is very important to me, particularly the second point that I brought up. I want to be able to talk to my friends without feeling like I'm being ignored, or worse yet, feeling like I'm intruding upon their space.
In my opinion, I find most of the GMs on this server to be pretty cool people. Yes, they can be harsh sometimes, but that's just to make sure the rules are followed and to help make everyone's roleplay experience all that much better.

But, I see where you're coming from. If one of the GMs is your friend, they should still be that friend as a GM. Hopefully this post'll help give your bud a push in the right direction.
I understand that GMs do need to be harsh at times. But it seems to me as though sometimes, they are a little too harsh, or harsh where it is not necessary, or perhaps a little of both. I know that if they aren't harsh at all, then people won't listen to anything that they say.
I'll jump to the defense of the GMs, even though they can do it themselves, and just say that being a GM can be extremely stressful for them. I'm friends with.. most of the GMs, and if they act a bit 'cold' I just shrug it off because they're dealing with alot, whether it be mass events happening, people choosing to be exceptionally irritating that particular day, or just having a bad day in general, as they are humans just like us non-GMs and have RL issues that happen.

So, if people could, don't take it personal. Alot is going on, either in their own lives, or on the server that they need to take care of, and sometimes they may come off as mean when it's just.. you know, one of those days. And I haven't seen GMs be all that harsh, honestly. Sometimes people just don't listen. You may not notice, but they really don't. That gets under some people's skins, others just won't tolerate it. <shrug> Just what I think.
You do make a valid point, and believe me, it's not just you that feels this way. You also have to understand though that they are GM's and the job sometimes comes first for people. *shrug* maybe it's just me but you need to cut them some slack. They do have to deal with issues all day long, and probably get asked multiple questions everytime which can get annoying, but personally? I would have to take the side of Scout.
I agree with Piken here. I'm sure they don't mean to be harsh, they are just having an off day.

I just don't think we should be too hard on them. As Piken said, they may have RL issues to worry about too.
As terrifyingly unfortunate as it is, there needs to be a cold shoulder. Many, MANY players are stubborn. People are determined not to listen when they think they are right until someone busts out a GM tag and tells them that they must change. GM's must be rough with people who do not listen, and often enough it just rubs off and they're a little sharper to everyone. And yes, GM's are hard to talk to. There's not exactly much we can do about it. They step up into another realm of transcendence, and as such a black, bold line is placed between players and Game Masters. It's the rough and rumble of life, Scout, and there's not much you can do about it. I treat many GM's like friends because I see them as simply other players. I know what it's like on the other side of that line, and I constantly forget they are GM's sometimes and rather normal people.

Sure, i've had a falling through with a few players on here once they stepped up to the lime-green tango and danced away, and it's harder to shape up with them afterwords. You must remember, simply, that they are other players, but simply players chosen to keep people in check. It's like being friends with a police officer. Sure, you've got to watch your step around them, even if you're casually with them, but at the end of the day and they take of their badge, they are civilians like the rest of us. Just civilians with police training and guns, and metaphorically to use they are players with the mindset of keeping people in check and commands. If you aren't feeling like you can talk with the GM's, that's roughly something every person should sort out individually with the GM in question. It sounds to me just more like a personal issue between yourself, and I can somewhat safely assume other players and the GM's, and should be resolved as such, as I cannot see something that could actually be changed to resolve this.
But Anski, then some GM's RP and mess around causing sort of a bi-polar atmosphere :? .
My main point here wasn't the harshness of the GMs. I did include it for a reason, and that was mainly to just bring it up to the GMs, but what I'm truly concerned about is how it's so hard to talk to a GM as a friend, and not as a GM. I want the GMs to remember that they don't have to be GMs all the time, and that they should be able to relax and joke around with others and have fun.
flavafat Wrote:But Anski, then some GM's RP and mess around causing sort of a bi-polar atmosphere :? .

I'm not understanding what you're trying to convey here.

Also;
Scout Wrote:My main point here wasn't the harshness of the GMs. I did include it for a reason, and that was mainly to just bring it up to the GMs, but what I'm truly concerned about is how it's so hard to talk to a GM as a friend, and not as a GM. I want the GMs to remember that they don't have to be GMs all the time, and that they should be able to relax and joke around with others and have fun.

As I reiterate, they AREN'T a GM all the time. It's almost surprising how often most of them joke around. Grakor's almost always being somewhat comedic in chat, and Lethys is just a screwball. (<3) Resaying, it's still a personal thing and I still think it should be resolved as such.
Scout Wrote:My main point here wasn't the harshness of the GMs. I did include it for a reason, and that was mainly to just bring it up to the GMs, but what I'm truly concerned about is how it's so hard to talk to a GM as a friend, and not as a GM. I want the GMs to remember that they don't have to be GMs all the time, and that they should be able to relax and joke around with others and have fun.

Though admittedly I have very little to contribute to the discussion, I'd just like to point out that I frequently see GMs lollerskating around in Barrenschat with the rest of us. I'd also like to bring it to your attention that Mikain decided to playfully intervene with some otherwise routine roleplay in Silithus on the Monday just passed and GOBBLED UP MY FRICKING GUILD LEADER. Echoing Anski's point, they're not as detached as you might suspect. :P
R.I.P Ognor.
It's probably true that I just don't see the GMs when they're at their most casual, but I know that I'm not just speaking for myself when I post this. I've already gotten a couple of PMs from people who have said that they felt the same way as I do.

I'd really like to get some GM input in this thread, and see what they have to say.
o.o Tis true. I was gobbled like last tuesdays chocolate cake. But anway, on the note that they are detached. I see them all the time, causing havoc or helping others out. Well, some times.
In my opinion the GM's are friendly, again from my point of view. Some of them rarely ever RP due to the workload they put in, which is bit of a downer on their side, after all they started out like me and all of you at the beginning, they just come here as an outlet away from retail RP and to find some like minded roleplayer's. So yes they do have the right to throw the "cold" side now and again but most of the time, when you need help or a chat about things they are there, again in my opinion and experience.

Apart from Nostra, that guy's the coldest of the cold.
Pages: 1 2 3