Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Warlock Spell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright so I was RPing last night, and I thought it would be hilarious for my Warlock to trully mess with people's heads. The idea I came up with has been done before in animes and movies... blah blah blah. Regardless, the idea was what if for example my Warlock pulled out the heart of an animal he killed. Well to freak people out what they see when he pulls the heart out is that it is still beating. But then after a few moments they sort of snap out of it and the heart was never beating. This would be a sort of illusion spell I assume something I originally considered out of the Warlock's sphere of influence. But then I thought about the Fear spell? Would it potentially be possible to use this spell to cause people to see things that aren't really happening temporarily? Now yes I also assume that the more magically in tune I would definitly have to give a chance to ressist as well as detect me casting it, but say for a common warrior who has nothing to do with magic, if I pull it off fool him into thinking some horrible act just happened, only for it to have not, it having been all in his head. Anyways, is this possible?
I don't think so. Warlocks can't really affect others' minds, to my knowledge. That'd be more a shadow priest's thing . . . and trust me, you can be perfectly creepy without magically affecting someone else's mind or ripping hearts out of bodies.
Well thats what I thought at first as well. But then I realized Warlocks have the Fear spell, which directly affects the mind. The main question I suppose is how does the Fear spell work, because if it causes any sort of hallucination effect at all then I imagine what I said would applicable.
I'm not sure exactly how the fear spell works, and honestly.. CC such as that I don't like to use in RP as there's not really an explanation for it. If you can think of something that's not too far of a stretch, go for it, I guess. As for Warlocks.. None of their spells, except -maybe- the fear spell effects their mind. All warlock spells are Shadow, Fire, and Fel magic. Shadow priests deal largely with attacks on the mind and such things.
The fear spell is actually very simple. It creates an illusion of whatever your target's deepest fear is. If they are tricked and succomb to it then they react as if it was actually there for the period of time it is active. If they manage to face their fear then they overcome it and the illusion vanishes. With scaling difficulty of overcoming it as warlocks become more powerful.
Follow Vhran's idea of how the fear spells works then it conjures an illusion of fear. So could not in theory the Warlock gear this towards a certain type of thing he believes the target would fear? I mean it even fits, the illusion fading away and the simpletons thinking they only imagined it would be in effect the spell wearing off. And as for why they don't run away screaming it could be a weakened version of fear bent to the Warlock's will.
I assume you understand that the ability to cause fear in someone isn't the same as making a glamor. I take the Fear spell to be like what Vrahn said, the Warlock channels hateful Shadow magic to show the person what they're afraid of to one degree or another. A weak Warlock might get something at the corner of your eye, and a powerful one might get cockroaches crawling on your flesh. The thing is, the spell doesn't seem controlled as much as it is simply targeted and let go. To do a serious glamor (Illusion over an object, in example making it look less shabby or having it hide physical disfigurements.) likely takes reagents and preparation, it's a kind of enchantment after all.

Well, also, I do question why any Warlock who's been alive for a while would even want to do that kind of overt evil magic to anyone as a display of anything, but eh. Frightened peasants are bad for business, as some might say.
Basically the warlock has no control over what is actually seen by the target. And the illusion only effects the targets, so no one else sees anything except someone freaking out for no reason. An illusion spell isn't something warlocks can do. But yeah, it's not really good for business at all.
Well the idea wasn't for massive use. It was mainly because my character enjoys messing with people. The real use was never going to be overt but a more subtle thing. The intention was to only do it to people he did not think would realize he had cast the spell on them, thus making it seem to them only to be in their minds not any spell used against them. He never wanted people to know it was him doing it, he wants them to think they're going insane and doing it to themselves. But it doesn't seem to matter since you all agree that it is impossible for him to do.