Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Aethron`s Introduction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player.:
I was born and raised in North Dakota, (read, nerdless wasteland) and consequently didn't really get into roleplaying until my high school days, when I joyfully joined a second edition D&D campaign. To this day, I enjoy various tabletop games and systems, though D&D has somewhat fallen out of favor after 4th Ed. came out. I have also expanded to online forum roleplay, since I get roleplay cravings outside of my regularly scheduled tabletop sessions. Recently, even that has left me wanting, as I must wait for replies and deal with dying threads. Now I crave something better, and server-based roleplaying appears to be the answer. With this, I can log on and role play at any time. Even at times when few players are logged on, I can play the game and develop my character within my own mind.

As a roleplayer, I enjoy first and foremost the character. I never create a character to fulfill a goal. Rather, fulfilling the character and coming to a deep understanding is my goal. I must also mention my inexperience with roleplaying within a game. It will probably take me a little time to adjust my style and appropriately blend with the new environment.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?
I come from the US and my primary language is English.

How did you get into Warcraft?:
Warcraft II was introduced to me by a friend in middle school. I didn't acquire the game myself until a couple years later, when I got the Battle.net edition. Warcraft III and Frozen Throne came later, and eventually I got World of Warcraft. My experience in WoW was disheartening, as it was very difficult to role play at all. I quit around level 21. Warcraft III was definitely the game I spent the most time on.

What made you seek our server over others?:
There are a couple primary reasons for my petition to join CotH. Number one is the fact that I have to petition to join. The Blizzard-run servers just don't cut it, and the primary reason is the atmosphere. It's difficult to enjoy the environment when there are blatant anomalies throwing out chatspeak. The second reason is the healthy framework and community. CotH has both an active forum and extensive wiki. I've also been lurking for the past few hours, and the people and postings I've seen have impressed me.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:
I gravitate toward social roleplay. I greatly enjoy the subtle interactions between differing personalities within the scope of a large, deep environment. This setting allows me to really get into a character and discover more about him as other players challenge me with many and varying situations. I'm also curious to see what can happen with simultaneous group roleplay in this sort of setting. Battles and large-scale situations in which every person is a highly developed person with motivations and perspectives is something I haven't yet dared to dream of. It's too beautiful.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:
I have always enjoyed Gnomes. It all goes back to a certain Gnome wizard I played in D&D. He was something of a menace to society, primarily due to his use of wild magic, and he had his fair share of quirks and flaws. Long story short he was my second character, but the first I fell in love with. After that, a general feeling of hostility toward Gnomes I experienced in various games and groups caused me to rush to their defense and become a stubborn supporter of Gnomes everywhere.

As far as class goes, it's difficult to say. I don't think I really have a favorite. I choose a class based on the character, so it varies from one to the next.

What are your expectations of this server?:
I expect to be able to develop interesting and deep characters in an environment which supports and respects my efforts. I also hope to be a part of a long-lasting community in which I can expect respect and a kindred love of the art.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:
As I mentioned before, I like the introduction rule. Many of the other rules are commonly found on any server, but the exclusivity of this server is what allows a roleplaying environment to survive.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:
Daric looked back at his patrol. They seemed tired. Dead tired. But that was natural, seeing as they'd been trudging around Westfall for eight full days. For all that they still hadn't been able to track down the band of Gnolls which had been terrorizing the area. There were lots of stories and supposed leads given by the locals, but the Gnolls had consistently managed to stay one step ahead. Daric needed to wrap this up before his men lost their morale completely. Unfortunately, this day they had lost again. It was dusk, and time to make camp.

"All right, that's it for today. I want a speedy camp set up. The faster we're done, the faster we can get some well-earned rest. You men are making me proud."

Once the camp was set Daric took first watch, along with Hadry, Remm, and Collmer. The night was a clear one, thankfully, and it wasn't even too cold. The moon illuminated the rolling landscape nicely. If there were any threats, they'd be easy to spot. Daric settled down and watched the silent hills.

Not an hour into his watch they came. There was a deceptive little fold in the land which allowed them to get in close without being seen. Collmer was the first to see them, but as soon as he yelled he got a bolt in his neck. Daric leaped up, raising the alarm and trying to wake up his men who were just settling in to deep sleep. These men were soldiers, and Daric was never more proud than he was when they rallied that night. Even with the minimal protection they wore while sleeping, they stood and faced the foe.

As soon as they were ready the Gnolls were upon them. Who knew they had these numbers? They must have intentionally raided with less than their full complement. Sneaky bastards didn't want to draw too much attention. Regardless, it was Daric's Light-given duty to get rid of them. The battle was desperate, there in the dark with howls of battle and screams of pain and rage. More than once Daric thought they would lose, as the crossbows took a horrible toll on his unarmored patrol, but his men held and stuck to their training, some giving their lives for the sake of their comrades.

Many years later in Captain Daric's memoirs. It would be written to be his most remembered battle, though by no means his most important. It was that fight with bandits, insignificant in the grand scheme of things, which really taught him about the strength of men and the strength of the Light. It taught him the meanings of courage and sacrifice, no matter how small the gain. That night was also the first time Daric wept for his men.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. I really like the ability of a private server to actually change the face of what's going on, and have characters who affect the world. Other than that, I must congratulate you on this server. From what I've seen, it seems like a great environment.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player.:
I was born and raised in North Dakota, (read, nerdless wasteland) and consequently didn't really get into roleplaying until my high school days, when I joyfully joined a second edition D&D campaign. To this day, I enjoy various tabletop games and systems, though D&D has somewhat fallen out of favor after 4th Ed. came out. I have also expanded to online forum roleplay, since I get roleplay cravings outside of my regularly scheduled tabletop sessions. Recently, even that has left me wanting, as I must wait for replies and deal with dying threads. Now I crave something better, and server-based roleplaying appears to be the answer. With this, I can log on and role play at any time. Even at times when few players are logged on, I can play the game and develop my character within my own mind.

As a roleplayer, I enjoy first and foremost the character. I never create a character to fulfill a goal. Rather, fulfilling the character and coming to a deep understanding is my goal. I must also mention my inexperience with roleplaying within a game. It will probably take me a little time to adjust my style and appropriately blend with the new environment.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?
I come from the US and my primary language is English.

How did you get into Warcraft?:
Warcraft II was introduced to me by a friend in middle school. I didn't acquire the game myself until a couple years later, when I got the Battle.net edition. Warcraft III and Frozen Throne came later, and eventually I got World of Warcraft. My experience in WoW was disheartening, as it was very difficult to role play at all. I quit around level 21. Warcraft III was definitely the game I spent the most time on.

What made you seek our server over others?:
There are a couple primary reasons for my petition to join CotH. Number one is the fact that I have to petition to join. The Blizzard-run servers just don't cut it, and the primary reason is the atmosphere. It's difficult to enjoy the environment when there are blatant anomalies throwing out chatspeak. The second reason is the healthy framework and community. CotH has both an active forum and extensive wiki. I've also been lurking for the past few hours, and the people and postings I've seen have impressed me.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:
I gravitate toward social roleplay. I greatly enjoy the subtle interactions between differing personalities within the scope of a large, deep environment. This setting allows me to really get into a character and discover more about him as other players challenge me with many and varying situations. I'm also curious to see what can happen with simultaneous group roleplay in this sort of setting. Battles and large-scale situations in which every person is a highly developed person with motivations and perspectives is something I haven't yet dared to dream of. It's too beautiful.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:
I have always enjoyed Gnomes. It all goes back to a certain Gnome wizard I played in D&D. He was something of a menace to society, primarily due to his use of wild magic, and he had his fair share of quirks and flaws. Long story short he was my second character, but the first I fell in love with. After that, a general feeling of hostility toward Gnomes I experienced in various games and groups caused me to rush to their defense and become a stubborn supporter of Gnomes everywhere.

As far as class goes, it's difficult to say. I don't think I really have a favorite. I choose a class based on the character, so it varies from one to the next.

What are your expectations of this server?:
I expect to be able to develop interesting and deep characters in an environment which supports and respects my efforts. I also hope to be a part of a long-lasting community in which I can expect respect and a kindred love of the art.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:
As I mentioned before, I like the introduction rule. Many of the other rules are commonly found on any server, but the exclusivity of this server is what allows a roleplaying environment to survive.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:
Daric looked back at his patrol. They seemed tired. Dead tired. But that was natural, seeing as they'd been trudging around Westfall for eight full days. For all that they still hadn't been able to track down the band of Gnolls which had been terrorizing the area. There were lots of stories and supposed leads given by the locals, but the Gnolls had consistently managed to stay one step ahead. Daric needed to wrap this up before his men lost their morale completely. Unfortunately, this day they had lost again. It was dusk, and time to make camp.

"All right, that's it for today. I want a speedy camp set up. The faster we're done, the faster we can get some well-earned rest. You men are making me proud."

Once the camp was set Daric took first watch, along with Hadry, Remm, and Collmer. The night was a clear one, thankfully, and it wasn't even too cold. The moon illuminated the rolling landscape nicely. If there were any threats, they'd be easy to spot. Daric settled down and watched the silent hills.

Not an hour into his watch they came. There was a deceptive little fold in the land which allowed them to get in close without being seen. Collmer was the first to see them, but as soon as he yelled he got a bolt in his neck. Daric leaped up, raising the alarm and trying to wake up his men who were just settling in to deep sleep. These men were soldiers, and Daric was never more proud than he was when they rallied that night. Even with the minimal protection they wore while sleeping, they stood and faced the foe.

As soon as they were ready the Gnolls were upon them. Who knew they had these numbers? They must have intentionally raided with less than their full complement. Sneaky bastards didn't want to draw too much attention. Regardless, it was Daric's Light-given duty to get rid of them. The battle was desperate, there in the dark with howls of battle and screams of pain and rage. More than once Daric thought they would lose, as the crossbows took a horrible toll on his unarmored patrol, but his men held and stuck to their training, some giving their lives for the sake of their comrades.

Many years later in Captain Daric's memoirs. It would be written to be his most remembered battle, though by no means his most important. It was that fight with bandits, insignificant in the grand scheme of things, which really taught him about the strength of men and the strength of the Light. It taught him the meanings of courage and sacrifice, no matter how small the gain. That night was also the first time Daric wept for his men.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. I really like the ability of a private server to actually change the face of what's going on, and have characters who affect the world. Other than that, I must congratulate you on this server. From what I've seen, it seems like a great environment.
Welcome to the server!
Welcome to the server!