Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Testing Dedicated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Still not working properly yet. Eventually!

Edit: Bear in mind the new server isn't up -quite- yet. In the process of migrating the database currently. Please check the Server Status Updates forum for more up-to-date information.

It's been over two years now since I first started CotH. Ever since then, I've been hosting the server at home on a 'server machine' (which has always been my cast-off gaming rig). For the past several months, folks have experienced a smattering of connectivity issues, which I thought could have been fixed by me upgrading my Cable Internet plan, but it didn't really seem to affect much. Therefore, I decided to try out a dedicated host!

I already have a copy of the server running on there (after several days of setting it up. VPS's are annoying.) Any further changes to the world will probably take place over there as well, for the time being. So far, lag has been a thing of the past. I've even been trying to spam AE damage spells to everything in sight in WSG, and I still haven't experienced any lag.

The only downside I've noticed, thus far, is that startup of the server is relatively slow. This is simply because while my old gaming computer is beefed up with an uber processor and RAM, the VPS forgoes all that in lieu of a very nice connection. So far, a small price to pay, but we'll see if it makes a huge difference once we try getting a few handfuls of people online and giving it a whirl.

Anyhow, to try out the new server host, change your realmlist to:
coth.game-server.cc

Bear in mind that I made a copy of all the databases a few days ago. Therefore, any changes very recently made to any of your characters will not be reflected. Also, any recently-created accounts will not be in the database either. If things go well during this testing period, then I'll bring down the current server, move the character and accounts databases over, and then start the new one up again. At that point, that will be our server!

Any questions, please feel free to post!

Edit: Furthermore, you can access coth.game-server.cc directly to see the server status page.
Well, it's almost ready, at any rate. After doing a quick restart to update the world database, other issues cropped up (I suppose I should have had the server down while doing the update). I'll post again once it's set for real! ;)
Alright, it's up and running! Feel free to hop on and test things out. Anything that you can remember would put stress on the server, whether from lag (ie, uber AE spells) or anything else, feel free to test.
It says 'Unable to Validate Game Version.' at log-in, yo.
Oh noes...Well now everyone can feel my pain XD
Jk guys hope you get back in game very soon!
You'll need to ensure you're at 3.2.2a. I set it to no longer accept 3.2.2 clients.

For Windows computers, you can get the patch here.
For Macs, you can get it here.

(Links borrowed from HeroLief's nifty tech guide.)
I feel so alone, being the only one online.

So far so good, though.
In order to further encourage testing, I'll probably be bringing down the normal server at some point tonight, copying over the character database and then only running the new server. This will definitely help in testing stability and how much of a stress the extra users will be. Unfortunately, I'm right under the max of my allotted memory for the VPS, and the next step up would require $20 more per month. Therefore, I need to see how much memory will be used with more people on.
I'm now shutting down the normal server in order to transfer the most up-to-date versions of the accounts and characters databases. Once this is complete, only the new server will be running so as to encourage folks to try it out. I'll change it to allow both 3.2.2 and 3.2.2a again for ease of access (ie, those that still only have 3.2.2 for some reason won't have to patch up yet).

I'll post again once the migration has been complete.
Kretol Wrote:I'm now shutting down the normal server in order to transfer the most up-to-date versions of the accounts and characters databases. Once this is complete, only the new server will be running so as to encourage folks to try it out. I'll change it to allow both 3.2.2 and 3.2.2a again for ease of access (ie, those that still only have 3.2.2 for some reason won't have to patch up yet).

I'll post again once the migration has been complete.

If all the updates done to my char recently has been updated on the new server I think I'll check it out for your experimental purposes.
So are both servers down now? Because I tried the test one and it says that login server is also down. Anyway, I hope this fixes a few problems. xD
it seems I try with both realmlists and both say on screen when I type my user name and password Connecting

both servers down?
Both servers are going to be down for this whole transfer, you can't exactly transfer between two servers with one of them on, that would be madness.
Kretol Wrote:I'll post again once the migration has been complete.
:>

Well, I'm sure that the dedicated server would be epic. The only problem would be if the server crashes (when people like me do stupid things ><) seeing as Kret said that it would take a while to load, I think XD

Also, I was tempted to insert a reference to 300, but seeing as this is not in the off topic section, I shall refrain from doing so, hurhur >.>
And the new server's up! Feel free to log in as per normal (after changing your realmlist appropriately, of course).
Pages: 1 2 3