Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Is this server wrong for me?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been roleplaying for about a month now, slowly developing three different characters (human rogue, undead mage, dwarf warrior), staying in character when I interact with people randomly, etc. I've been focusing especially on my human rogue, flushing out his story, his relationship with dwarves, and so on. It's fun! But I've noticed a few things that make me wonder if playing here long-term is really for me.

As someone new to the server, these are my first impressions. They may or may not be accurate (I am new), but they seem to be the trends here:

1. All players under level 80 are "apprentices" of sort, doing their thing until they have been recognized as "real roleplayers," after which point they will be immediately accelerated to the maximum level the game allows.

2. Playing the game while you are not interacting with other roleplayers is denigrated as "levelling," and is not recognized as having any intrinsic value.

3. Playing the game between levels 50 and 79, whether or not you are roleplaying at the same time, is strongly discouraged. It is equally without value.

In short, CotH is not about playing in the World of Warcraft as a roleplayer. Rather, it's about being a roleplayer who happens to use World of Warcraft as his/her pallette, no different from a MUSH or a tabletop setup.

My roleplaying style is to develop a character, stay in character, and then play the game. I enjoy questing, because it gives me insight into the state of the world (of Warcraft) as it currently is. I did not join the game having already explored every facet of WoW; rather, I joined the game wanting to explore this new world while simultaneously developing and playing a character (role-playing, by definition). This combination really hits the sweet spot for me.

I don't consider doing this exploration at low levels to have zero value. Even if there is no other human playing at your side, you are able to imagine your character accomplishing this quest *as himself*, content in the knowledge as well that if you should happen to come across another human player you can interact in character. Fun!

Some people take the time to seek each other out, and elaborately plan RP encounters, and this is OK too! I admit to having done it myself. But it is not my normal play style. I prefer to encounter players while playing as normal, and then interact with them as the character I have constructed. I find this infinitely more satisfying. It's what makes CotH a living, breathing world, after all.

Nonetheless, I am increasingly developing the impression that CotH's default play-style is hostile to my own, as I described above.

Are my impressions accurate?
While I don't wish to say we discourage that type of thing here, and that leveling is quite fine... there are a few underlying problems. First and foremost, it can be quite difficult to level here, or to do a lot of the quests you'd like to do since quite of few of them are bugged.

As well as the fact, that as of right now, things such as instances are strongly discouraged ICly.

There is also the fact that pretty much everyone on the server does take the free leveling, and there wouldn't be anyone to do the leveling with you at a certain point.

If you feel this isn't the right server for you, then that may very well be the case. There are -many- other servers out there, none off the top of my head as you've described, other than the live Blizzard servers, but I do wish you luck in your search!
Thanks for posting, Rensin!

And it's interesting, but you demonstrated exactly what I described above.

You just explained to me that leveling is OK to do. Then you mentioned that leveling on this server is difficult because of quest bugs. Finally, you explained to me that it will be difficult at later levels to find others to level with me.

Now, I want to ask you to re-read my post, and pay close attention to how many times I mention leveling, and in what context.

The entire point of the post was that playing the game does not have to be mutually exclusive with role-playing. Pay close attention to my choice of words. I said, "playing the game." Not, "leveling." Who cares if you gain levels or not!?

Now, it so happens that gaining levels fast enough for the quests to stay varied is not a problem, with the increased quest experience and the fact that only 10% or so of quests are not completable, in my experience. Nor have instances been necessary, or OOC grouping. But these things are 100% irrelevant to my question.

So, I'll ask again: Are the GMs and/or players on this server hostile to the idea of mixing playing the game with RP? At least a few seem to think that this hostility exists, since the multiple messages of encouragement and sympathy I received in response to this post came to me exclusively via PMs rather than having been posted here.

I don't wish to create unnecessary drama; I just want to know a bit more about the culture of the server. Speak up, people! You won't be banned for being honest! Uh... I don't think so, anyhow.
Rensin Wrote:Speak up, people! You won't be banned for being honest
YOU LIE YOU LYING FILTH YOU LIE

Wait, wh--

Oh yes. Mixing the game with the RP?

Do you mean, mixing quests or NPCs with the RP?

But, I think we actually are characters in the World of Warcraft. We are already mixed with the game, we RP in the world, and talk like people RPing there.

I do think I missed your point, and I know I'm silly and such, but I got it this way.
What he means is playing the game as it is, a role playing game. It's about treating WoW as if it were a single player RPG. The idea in RPGs is not to gain levels, it's about immersing yourself in the story of the game, going through that which has already been planned, and playing the character which the quests were intended for. It's the concept that, excuse me if I sound offensive, nearly no one seems to understand. It's about fulfilling the role playing aspect in a massive multiplayer online role playing game. While arguments may arise that since CotH is a Role Playing server, one could simply role play with the rest, but it doesn't give the satisfaction of 'fulfilling the game' per se. It's more than just leveling and getting epic armour, which most MMORPGs seems to be revolved around these days. It's about -the game- in its entirety, progressing your character and such.

Also, now that the concept has been explained, I will explain why this doesn't happen on CotH as well. The reason? Quests and WoW storyline center around making the player, well, -the player-, creating a sense of heroism and greatness that is usually the focus of most, if not all, single player RPGs. The reason that 'playing the game' here isn't encouraged is because it contradicts the normalcy this server stands up for. Seeing as not everyone can be a hero, 'playing the game' would actually be a form of RP which this server doesn't approve off. In CotH, you can't have an OP character who does amazing stuff all the time because then one has to ask one's self the question, "What makes me so special?" The concept of a Mary sue comes into play, and this is not something the server encourages. Character progression is also quite limited here, which is also the essential aspect behind game designed role play.

As for gib, well, I understand where you're coming from, seeing as I usually have the same desire when it comes to any mmorpg, especially WoW. But honestly, CotH is not somewhere you go to 'play the game'. It's a place you go to after you've played the game, in order to immerse yourself in a world without set parameters (a.k.a. predetermined blizzard quests). I would recommend retail RP servers or other servers when it comes to playing the game, and perhaps coming back here once you've had your fill of WoW storylines, and just wish to lose yourself in the immersive world of Warcraft :>

Also, I would like to apologise beforehand should anyone feel insulted by whatever it is I've said.
I'm am utterly confused. If you mean, by playing the game... not leveling and such, then yes, we play the game. If you mean by incorporating quests, doing instances... then seldom, actually. We follow mostly, the RPG stlye of WoW, meaning the D20 books.

We concentrate -mostly- on roleplay, yes, rather than mechanics or "quests". Reason being... if everyone becomes champion of the Naaru for example... what does that neglect? Also, how fair is it, if we encourage RP, for the person who writes up an amazing story as to why he is champion of the Naaru, compared to someone who completed a quest in game?

I'm probably missing the point again, as I'm still quite unsure what you are getting at with it, but the best advice I can give is that if -you- think the server isn't right for you, then you are the person that would know best about that, heh.

Again, if that's the case, I am very sorry to hear that, and I do wish you luck in your endevors to find a place that suits you, and your RP style. I know we can't accomodate for everyone.
Ah, I can mostly see where you're coming from.

Often times I've felt the same way, and because of it I'm playing around with the possibility of renewing my subscription to WoW for about a month or so when Cataclysm comes out, just to see what it's like! Unfortunately, as was mentioned by previous posters, game mechanics are broken beyond repair at the moment, as well as the triggers and cinematic experiences that one often finds on retail.

It just doesn't work on private servers. I don't think that there is some sort of hostility to leveling, though.

[quote="gibbousmoon Wrote:1. All players under level 80 are "apprentices" of sort, doing their thing until they have been recognized as "real roleplayers," after which point they will be immediately accelerated to the maximum level the game allows.

Though I doubt you really mean that "all" of the peons RP apprentices, I still think it's worth pointing out that I've run into a few Peons that RP autonomous individuals, or are otherwise somehow independent from any sort of "master". The same could be true of you!
Thanks Vorce, that's exactly the kind of information I was trying to get.
No problem :> I'll look forward to seeing you in-game some time in the not too distant future ^^ haha