Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Secrets of RP: IC and OOC seperation.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is, as of this writing, a problem. Not as big of a deal as it once was, but still merits being spoken of.
Diving headfirst in, I will first speak of the abomination that is...

METAGAMING

In short, metagaming is using your knowledge OOC, maybe something said over the chat channel, to your IC benefit. As in, you hear a warlock coven's meeting at this location, and you spread the word IC, or go try to find them. It is incredibly low, and you're discouraging evil role-play, easily some of the best and most fun role-play out there. First things first, I will speak of the two complexes that I've become familiar with that are often linked to metagaming. I will, as I so often do, use examples.
The Hero Complex
You just created a paladin. You are a defender of good, a keeper of what's right, and a divine light in this dark world. But, oh noes! What good is it to be a slayer of evil and not slay evil?! Instead of going out to fight Scourge, demons, monsters, or the other infinite horrors of Azeroth, you hear from a friend that his warlock coven is sacrificing a virgin. Why, that's just the thing your paladin would stop! You rush to the location, and try to halt the evildoers from doing their deed. Totally fine, right?
No. It isn't.
You, by doing this, are attacking their group. And not just ICly, you are doing it OOCly. You are discouraging having secretive evil RP by just doing what you want to, and not as THE RULES say you HAVE TO. With little ability to be secretive, the point of being a secretive warlock coven is inert! By doing this en masse, the group will disappear, thus ruining that RP forever. Well done, you're taking away the fun of others. Some hero.
The Villain Complex
You just rolled a shadow priest. A real facemelter, he is! And soon he's part of a big evil group! Yay! The group suddenly targets a specific warrior for actions against. You, knowing your shadow priest has to be helpful, decide to know where he is, at every moment, ever. Why? You're friends with the warrior's friend, who's always around him. You can kick back, relax, and have a chocolate malt as you tell your guild he's attempting to hide in Redridge. That's fine, right?
Yeah, no. It's not.
For the same reasons as above, this is not a proper or acceptable way of RPing! Think about it, would you like to be in that Warrior's spot when the group descends on him?
Metagaming is bad, and metagamers are terrible people. Report them when you see them.

My next point.
Character death/maiming
Recalling back to the idea of someone dropping in on a group of Warlocks- metagamed or not. Say you do that, and you raise your mighty hammer and bellow a roar, only to engage them! You are quickly overrun by the 5-on-1 odds and killed by the group. What did you honestly expect? Them to say "Oh no! A Paladin! Curses, foiled again!" And to flee? While they have the advantage, I don't think they will.
Okay, now your character is dead. What do you do?
WHAT NOT TO DO
-Whine
-Develop a personal OOC vendetta against those who killed you
-Rage in any way. That only leads to BAD TIMES.
WHAT TO DO
-Reroll, experience new RP!
-Wait a week
-Find a Priest
-Fill out a Resurrection thread
-Get it approved
-Good times!
Maturity over anything that happens is always the best choice for anything. You'll gain the respect of your peers, of the GMs, and be welcome in any RP you wish in which to participate. It's not like the character is lost forever, anyway. Only a week.
As far as maiming goes, let's say instead of death... the warlocks cut out your eyes, chop off your hands, or cripple you in some way. You character is no longer functioning? Of course not! It could make for great RP! Revenge or sorrow RP, RP that really will provoke emotion.

**Always remember. A character warning must be issued before character death or maiming can happen! If it doesn't come, then you may retcon the event or pass it off as you were unconscious. And there must be time for the character being warned to flee before attacking!**

My third and final point.
DRAMALLAMAS
You're following this guide. You're being a functional, enjoyed member of any RP you're in. Yay for you! However, someone comes in and begins stirring up as much crap as possible. He talks in caps and tries to start OOC fights with every member of the RP, or is the more sinister one who doesn't use caps, but makes constant snide and sarcastic remarks.
WHAT TO DO
-Don't feed the Llama. Just keep quiet, do not engage him/her.
-Take screenshots, and submit them to any friendly neighborhood GM. You will soon find him a lot more humbled.
WHAT NOT TO DO
-Engage him/her in any way. That's just feeding the fire.
That's it. Simple, eh?

There. That's all I care to type in one sitting. My next RP seret will be.. Addressing profiles in-depth!
Monolith Wrote:It's not like the character is lost forever, anyway. Only a week.

Oddly enough, that sentence there puts me off. It makes death seem like a trivial thing.

Regardless, the topic is something we all need to do.
I moved it for you, Mononoob!
Maulbane Wrote:
Monolith Wrote:It's not like the character is lost forever, anyway. Only a week.

Oddly enough, that sentence there puts me off. It makes death seem like a trivial thing.

Regardless, the topic is something we all need to do.

It was meant to make death not sound as severe as losing the character forever. You're still without for a week, and can only be resurrected once. Bah, I shoud've said this up there! Thanks for catching that, Maulbies.
Is it bad that I read BAD TIMES as BAN TOWN?
It could be one in the same, depending on severity if the case!