Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Social Systems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Welp, I have a question. For my understanding, humans, and other races which have a relatively short lifespan, practice monogamy as the common social system, meaning that you have a child, and parents who exclusively raise that child. However, for Night Elves and Draenei, where births are -very- rare, I don't think that monogamy would be the most preferred social system, for the child could breed jealousy among the others. I'm not really sure about this, but when births are very rare, wouldn't the adults not be taught on childraising? In my opinion, in the case of Draenei and Night Elves, that when a child is born, they wouldn't have literal 'parents', but they would rather be something like "everyone's child" if you know what I mean. In a society where children are rare, you don't really get to play around with one your age, so the child would be entirely dependant on the parents. Not only would this put pressure on the parents who most probably never have had any previous need to deal with children, but it might cause suspicion within others as to the motives of the parents in raising the child.

When no one else has a child, and you keep yours to yourself, there would always be suspicion. So perhaps parent exclusivity might not be such a good thing in those ancient communities? That's just my take on it all. The child would be raised by everyone, and the leaders of said race / town / village would most probably decide the route of the child based on the feedback / observation of the child's progression in childhood. I'm just putting this up in the air, because I'm not really sure, but that's my view. Could anyone help clear this up for me? Thanks <:
Well, I remember a quest in Astranaar. A night elf father had a sick daughter. Mother is presumed dead I think. Don't recall any mention of a social system other than monogamy. Also, found this quote on WoWwiki.
"The lack of presence of kaldorei children has led some to believe that birth within the Night Elves' society to be a rare occurrence. This is quite contradicting to the blessing of nature that the kaldorei have received.

Interestingly, it could be argued that the kaldorei have a similar stance to mating and producing offspring to the dwarves, being that they see no reason to have children often, and do so every few centuries. This could be subject to change since the loss of their immortality."
Oh, interesting theory and I somewhat agree.

But I think that mothers and fathers are still the biological ones, but I think they sort of live by "it takes a village to raise a child". The old lady of the village beeing the grandmother, all children born a certain years apart treated and siblings and so on.
Well, it's been firmly established (with the War of the Ancients trilogy) that nelves mate for life, Tyrande is portrayed with serious doubts as to who of the Stormrage brothers she's gonna "partner" with, they didn't seem to have any special ceremonies surrounding it but rather just a tradition of men courting women, and the women deciding who will be their eternal partner or somesuch. This was even before the Long Vigil and women taking on a dominating role in their society, so one can assume it has just been rooted even deeper by now.
Oh, Nostra is right on that, nelves follow the elven cliché enough to mate for life like swans and whatnot.
Ahh, I see, so what about the Draenei then? I'm guessing that since they're creatures of the light and all that they would do the same? Would it be plausible that even though one mates for life, that the children grow up being raised by everyone, something like what Bovel said earlier? >< heh
Then why are there Draenei orphans? Also look at Med'an, his uncle is Maraad who clearly calls his grandmother his sister. Lastly Arechron leader of the Kurenai's -son- keeps getting himself in trouble, to which you the hero/babysitter have to rescue him again and again.

So basicly, Draenei uses the same normal system humans do.

Granparents
Parents + uncles and aunts
children - brothers and sisters
Well, there's the Death Knight quest "A Special Surprise" in New Havalon, while you're under the command of the Lich King. In the quest, you must kill a prisoner. There's one of each race. You must kill the one of your own. If you are a Night Elf, the woman you have to kill will recognise you as being the child that she took care of, while -your- mother went praying or whatever.

Note to Kretol's post in the other topic: She never said she was your sister, just like... sort of a babysitter.
Draenei orphans are probably cause they were the most shelterd both during the crash and in Outland after the fall of Shatt'rath.