Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Is it OK for alts to know each other IC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...Assuming a player is careful about it and uses some common sense, that is.

I think it could add a new layer of depth and fun to the RP experience. Let's say, for example, that I am unable to help someone with an IC problem, but I can write a letter of introduction for them to meet one of my alts (who is an IC friend) in another town, and they can travel and then ask that person for help. That's just one idea; I'm sure you could come up with many others.

Also, while I'm on the subject, would it be consistent with the server's rules to have two alts logged in at the same time (is that even possible if they are on the same account?), in the same room, and simultaneously IC? (The IC part is important; I'm not talking about an OOC interaction like an enchantment or anything like that.)

I'd probably avoid the latter, as it's hard enough to do collaborative story-telling with one character, let alone two. Nonetheless, if it breaks a CotH rule, that'd be nice to know for future reference. Opinions are welcome, too.

What are your thoughts, CotH?
I see there is no problem about that. If you want two of your Alts to meet each other then that would be perfectly fine. But, there is the problem where you cannot log onto two people on one account. This however can be fixed. We are allowed second accounts here on CotH but I believe I may of heard something involved with needing to be a Grunt in order to gain this account.

None the less, if you need a second account you PM Kretol and with the components you can swap a character between both accounts.
I can't see any harm in two alts knowing eachother, but since you can't exactly get two online at once, it would be very difficult to have them appear in the same place together.
I like having ones characters know of eachother, not to fill up family/friend-spots faster/easier, but to spread the names of your characters faster, making them 'known' in an effektive matter. What is important is that the relation between the two should be made so that they do want to or have to meet with a third party character around, save those meetings for forumposts.
anji Wrote:I can't see any harm in two alts knowing eachother, but since you can't exactly get two online at once, it would be very difficult to have them appear in the same place together.

In fact it very much is possible, since my two Windows boxes are about five feet from each other.

That being said, I think I will wait until such a time as it becomes necessary, and then pm a GM about it.
Bovel Wrote:I like having ones characters know of eachother, not to fill up family/friend-spots faster/easier, but to spread the names of your characters faster, making them 'known' in an effektive matter. What is important is that the relation between the two should be made so that they do want to or have to meet with a third party character around, save those meetings for forumposts.
I was wondering about that actually. Why not just RP both characters, and declare that they're both ICly there when you're OOCly only on one of them? :>
Dual screen RP is hard and sort of unfair. It gives a cool edge when you went to portray the characters in a specific way, but then you make a pair and not one character. You go against one of the nonos of character creation.
It's been done earlier, by GMs, too.

It's not unfair, since we're all logical RPers, aren't we? We won't abuse it.

But hard, it is damn hard. That is probably why dual accounts are Grunt-only.
But, dual accounts are allowed if you're a grunt, and the usage of them at the same time must be allowed too.

It being unfair is just silly. It -could- be unfair if abused, but as I said, CotH is full of patient, logical, sensefull and fair RPers. Especially among the grunts and GMs.
I did it on my old server. It helped me when doing large scale roleplays, like the one in Surther's Intro. I was the Madman and the Servent. It was hard, but I did it and everyone had a fun time. What I'm saying is it could be done, I wouldnt suggest it though.