Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Prestige Class Template Discussion: Demon Hunter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all,

Recently I've been rereading a lot of the Lore on Demon Hunters on WoW-Wiki. They're one of the coolest types of characters I've ever come across in the Warcraft universe, and it really surprised me that no-one's tried to obtain it as a Prestige Class. As such, I've decided to try and set up a template for people who want to go on to train as a Demon Hunter. Obviously I'm in no position to apply for this class yet, as I've only been on the server a few weeks. But the Demon Hunter is a type of character I'd love to see roaming around, so if this discussion can help get things flowing for this particular Prestige Class, I'm more than happy to spend time and effort improving the format. It's open for complete discussion and input by GMs and players alike, so please do give your opinions and other input, criticism or thought for the day you may feel like posting.

The Demon Hunter

The act of becoming a Demon Hunter is largely one of self-sacrifice. It is a series of grueling trials which will leave anyone who undertakes them begging to halt. Demon Hunters do just what it sounds like- Hunt Demons. Bound by oath and pledge, they are bent on seeking out and destroying the agents of the Burning Legion, for the good of all Azeroth. Often solitary in nature, Demon Hunters are shunned by the rest of society, due to their mingling in darker energies. They ritually blind and tattoo themselves as part of their training. Much like an ordinary hunter, they must grow closer to their prey in order to understand their nature and become more efficient predators. The roots of this tradition can be traced back to Illidan Stormrage, who was blinded by Sargeras himself, only to gain Spectral Sight- the ability to see demons and the undead as vivid colors in an otherwise grey, swirling world. The binding of themselves to a portion of a Demon's spirit is also part of the initiation.

The nature of this binding means that as the Demon Hunter progresses in his or her training, they can gradually morph so that they are part-demon themselves, both mentally and physically. While this means that they can hunt more efficiently, it also wreaks havoc on the Hunter's appearance. Such physical changes can include the growth of Horns, Cloven Hooves, Wings, Tails, and other sharp protrusions from the Hunter's flesh. The transformation also deeply affects the Hunter's mind, as they slowly become that which they pledged to destroy. While it is possible for Demon Hunters to resist the corruption of their blood indefinitely, all but the most iron-willed retain enough of their individuality for more than a few centuries.

OOC Guidelines

As stated in the CoTH wiki, only Night Elves may become Demon Hunters. Although there are members of other races who have made the pledge, they are few and far between.

As with all Prestige titles, you must be a Grunt, and the character in question must be approved.

Only Warriors, Rogues, Hunters and Priests may become Demon Hunters.

The character who wishes to undergo the training must be good, or at least on the good side of neutral. You'll have to gain the master Demon Hunter's trust before you can train with them, so there's no chance they'll train an evil genius bent on world domination. Just not going to happen.

The player who wishes to train may not have any other affiliations/guild/contact with other players for the duration of the training, which will last at least ten weeks OOC.

The Demon Hunter must be trained by another Demon Hunter. If the character is the first Demon Hunter on the server, then they will spend the training with Loramus Thalipedes, in Azshara (Or another NPC created by a GM)

Demon Hunters may only train on a one-to-one basis. Although Illidan trains them in groups in Outland, this system is inefficient in producing a well-rounded Hunter.

The Training

As stated above, the training lasts ten weeks. These weeks are divided into separate portions, each pushing the pupil further and further until they may become a full fledged Hunter.

Before commencing, the pupil must swear a blood oath to the master to listen at all times, to give every ounce of his dedication, and never contradict or disagree with the master, unless asked to.

The first week will be spend learning lore, under the teachings of the Master. The pupil must learn about each type of Demon in incredible detail, and must be able to cite all of their strengths and weaknesses by the end of the week. The Master gives the student an oral test after 7 days. If the pupil is not able to answer all 30 questions correctly, they are deemed to be 'Not intelligent enough' to deal with Demons, and are not allowed to continue.

The next two weeks are spent in physical training. The pupil must be able to survive in extreme conditions with very little equipment, and no armor. They are given a pair of broad-bladed heavy swords to use, and must not let go of them while awake. These two weeks culminate in a severe feat of fitness- they must run from Tanaris to Azshara, without stopping for food or rest. During this test, they must carry both their blades at all times. The Master will be at their heels the entire time, and if the Master deems them to be running too slowly, or appear too tired, they will ask the pupil to stop and go home, deeming them 'Not in good enough condition' to continue.

The fourth week will be spent in Outland, observing and tracking the different types of demon. In ages past, this would have been undertaken in demon-infested zones of Kalimdor, but since the opening of the Dark Portal, an introduction to Outland is also vital in helping the pupil's understanding of the results of a full-scale demon invasion. The week will culminate in the sacrifice of a Demon with a special blade. The blade is dipped in the Blood of the Demon and then transferred to a hollow dagger, which is then used by the Master to engrave runic tattoos in the flesh of the pupil. This is known as the First Binding Ritual.

The fifth week is spent in recovery, as the pupil will certainly fall ill. If the pupil is unable to survive the results of the First Binding, then they may not be resurrected, as their revived form will likely be that of a Demon. If they do survive, they will find that they have the following abilities:
  • Immolate- The Demon Hunter is surrounded by a wreath of flames, damaging all targets within 5 yards.

Mana Burn- The Demon Hunter channels Demonic energy within themselves which causes Spellcasters to take damage from their own mana reserves, burning them internally.

Engulf Blade- The Demon Hunter channels their Immolate ability, which causes their weapon(s) to become engulfed in flames, causing fire damage to enemies.

If the pupil has not recovered by the sixth week, they are deemed 'Not tolerant enough' to continue. They may not continue the training, and will be slain by the Master, in order to prevent them from using their powers for personal gain. If they can continue, they are sent to hunt down a Void Terror. They are not told anywhere to go, and must use their own intuition and skill to track and slay one. They must bring back one of its eyes as proof. If they are successful, they may continue to the Second Binding Ritual. If They take longer than seven days, they are deemed 'Not intuitive enough'.

Once the pupil has secured the eye and brought it back to the Master, the Second Binding may begin. The Demon Hunter must pierce the Void Terror's eye with the same blade that was used to tattoo him/her. Once they have dipped the blade in the fluid of the demon's eye, they must proceed to cut their own eyes out, without crying out or showing weakness in front of their Master. The fluid burns the inside of the Demon Hunter's eye sockets, causing little blood to be shed. If they falter, if they are unable to continue, or if they show signs of weakness, they are slain by the Master, and may, of course, not be resurrected. If they are successful, they are rewarded with Cursed Vision of Sargeras

If the Second Binding is successful, the Demon Hunter will have gained the following abilities:
  • Spectral Sight- The Demon Hunter now sees ordinary things as whirling shadows, while Demons and the Undead now stand out in brilliant colors. This allows them to see demons in disguise, as well as spot them from great distances away, through obstacles like walls, trees, and rocks.

Drain Demon Soul- The Demon Hunter may channel the lifeblood of a Demon to heal themselves and restore energy/mana/rage.

By the eight week, the pupil will likely have been changed by the Binding rituals. They may be growing horns, their feet may be buckling into hooves, perhaps a tail has started to form. Their skin and blood may be darker, and their eye sockets may begin to give off a glow. It depends on each person.

The final three weeks will be spent in combat training. They are given a pair of Warglaives to use, and spend a full three weeks in the heart of Outland, living off the land and seeking out and killing as many demons as possible. The Master closely supervises the pupil's progress, and will not help should the pupil be overpowered or in serious danger. If the pupil survives this ordeal, he/she is given one final task- to slay a Demon Hunter gone rogue and absorb their demonic power. This task ensures that the pupil understands the dangers of meddling with such chaotic powers, and is able to cope with the fact that he/she will be hunted down and killed if they are unable to resist the taint flowing in their veins.

If the pupil is successful in slaying the rogue Demon Hunter, they may undertake what is known as the Third Binding. In this ritual the pupil must cut out the heart of the Demon Hunter and swallow some blood from its core. In this process the pupil is ingesting some corrupted blood, and must resist the temptation to fall into darkness. If they can retain their personality, they will find that they now have control over the following abilities-
  • Metamorphosis- The Demon Hunter may temporarily transform themselves into a Demon, allowing them to inflict far greater damage.

Tainted Fireball- The Demon Hunter may hurl a fireball at his/her target, inflicting lots of fire damage and some shadow damage.

If the pupil survives, they undertake the Demon Hunter's blood oath, which makes them promise to spend every waking hour fighting the Burning Legion and preventing their takeover of Azeroth. They must slit both their wrists and allow their blood to train for ten minutes before they are allowed to bandage themselves up. If they survive (It's likely they're made of hardy stuff if they've made it this far), they are awarded the title of Demon Hunter, and may take on their own apprentice.

Before attempting this...

There are some things you should note before you attempt the trials of the Demon Hunter. First of all is that you have to spend ten weeks with no IC contact with anyone but your master. That's two and a half months. If you're not prepared to make the commitment, you won't progress any further.

If you fail before the First Binding, you may leave in peace, but you won't be able to attempt at this title again with the same character. EVER.

If you fail after the first binding, your character will be killed. There won't be any IC fighting, you'll just be permanently killed. No resurrection. Capiche?

You will be an outcast from much of society. Only in the neutral towns and the largest cities will you be able to travel without getting hassled, and that's only probably. Illidan got locked up for 10,000 years just for meddling with Demons. Night Elves won't trust you at all. Other races may be more understanding, but only barely.

You've sworn an oath to spend all your time either killing demons or instructing others on how to kill demons. So no pint in the Lion's Pride after your pupil goes to sleep.

But that's all the cons. The pros are that Demon Hunters are awesome. While you won't be able to have that good 'ole tavern RP anymore, you'll be a Demon Hunter. 'nuff said.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Criticism/Input/Feedback?
Impressive.
Damn you newcomers, sometimes you have brilliant ideas... Great work.
I hope the GMs take this into consideration.

You worked really hard on this it seems. :)

+2 Rep
I have to say, you've done an excellent job thinking out and writing about the Demon Hunter class. I actually have a character that wants to, and is currently searching for a master(my excuse for not actually taking on the prestige yet for multiple reasons). He sees it as one of the most meaningful sacrifices, and thinks it's worth it to do so, even if it means him being hated by the ones he's doing it for.

I'm just as surprised as you are, honestly, that people haven't been trying it. But I can also see it as a major deterrent because of all that is put at risk and what is lost in becoming a Demon Hunter. But, in my opinion, even the whole.. -thinking- of becoming one, and having a character think and realize all of the cons before making that decision make for -excellent- character development.

So yeah. /thumbs up to you, sir/ma'am.

I've actually seen some things others have written up, which include things such as what tattoos mean, and all different things. Really in-depth. But yeah. Again, kudos to you. ^.^
Erm it's only warriors and rogues that go demon hunter, and I'm sure evil hunters are allowed, seeing as they might still be against demons, even if they are evil. Blood elves also make the transition to demon hunter.

You did a good job but your fabrications kinda differ from the lore. I'm sure there's a lot of flexibility with the rituals but it'll probably vary from master to master and on rare occasions some probably can train themselves up.

Only gripes here is the ten weeks thing. Considering real life issues and things that might make ten weeks of one on one and no outside contact pretty eh... Difficult. Especially if the first on the server is an NPC. I'm still shooting for it though. :D
Jetniss Wrote:Erm it's only warriors and rogues that go demon hunter, and I'm sure evil hunters are allowed, seeing as they might still be against demons, even if they are evil. Blood elves also make the transition to demon hunter.

Not according to the CoTH wiki, which is official server policy. Only Night Elves. A Night Elf would never train a Blood Elf. The only exception is Illidan, and as you can't be an Illidari on this server, Blood Elf Demon Hunter is out of the question.

EDIT: Also, Evil Demon Hunters wouldn't be allowed to train with any master, 'cept for Illidan or someone.

Now a good DH could go bad over time due to corruption, but he/she wouldn't start off bad.

Jetniss Wrote:You did a good job but your fabrications kinda differ from the lore. I'm sure there's a lot of flexibility with the rituals but it'll probably vary from master to master and on rare occasions some probably can train themselves up.

I've tried to stick to the lore as much as possible. While there may be other paths and rituals, the whole purpose of this post was to make it easier for people to train as a DH, this won't become the official way or anything. I also highly doubt that someone could train themselves up to the level of a full-fledged DH. Besides, you have to have a trainer to become a prestige class, either a PC or an NPC.

Jetniss Wrote:Only gripes here is the ten weeks thing. Considering real life issues and things that might make ten weeks of one on one and no outside contact pretty eh... Difficult. Especially if the first on the server is an NPC. I'm still shooting for it though. :D

Well it's ten weeks on that character. You can of course still play alts during this time. And if you're the first and being trained by an NPC, it'll be mostly forum posts anyway.
-Had completely forgot about the CotH wiki and was just looking up the WoW wiki-

Either way, never say never. There might be a few who have a liking to blood elves, then again it's up to the master. :p
Jetniss Wrote:-Had completely forgot about the CotH wiki and was just looking up the WoW wiki-

Either way, never say never. There might be a few who have a liking to blood elves, then again it's up to the master. :p

Nah, wiki says no Blood Elves so unless GMs are willing to change that, I'm sticking to the wiki.
Well, Altruis may very well be willing to train a blood elf, if the GMs would be willing to change that rule. It seems he couldn't have much of a problem with it. To quote him...

It is not surprising that a blood elf's potential for power as a demon hunter is so high. After all, the sin'dorei do not have the natural aversion to demonic magic that night elves do.
However, I do not expect many to succeed. Most of them, Varedis included, pursue power for its own sake. That power will consume them, for they are not driven by the pure fire that burns inside a true demon hunter's heart.

... If one blood elf could RP out convincing him they are out to do the right thing, then eventually, after they are trained, more blood elves could be trained as a demon hunter through that one person, or once again Altruis since he would be more likely to train a second if he has trained a first.

Just a little something to think about :)
Demon Hunters are prestige titles, so grunts could apply for it. I have a character that is trying to "walk the path" but he is doing it alone, with only some fragmented texts for help. He is a ton of fun to RP, but it's hard findiing any for him.

That said, due to the stigma associated with demon hunters and the abuse the class has seen in the past the bar for being accepted as one is pretty high.

As for belves becomming demon hunters, I'd say it's definitely possible, but very hard since there aren't many hunters out there friendly to them. I'd seriously doubt a nelf would even slow down to considering it before cutting down the fel drinking wannabe-demon asking for it. They would be more liable to turn to warlockery and fel-spawns for that kind of power.
Pretty much all BE Demon Hunters followed Illidian, so while it's possible, it's not probable due to the fact the only trainers left would be Night Elves. And what Night Elf in their right mind would teach this to a BE?
Truly impressive. I wish you the best of luck!
Rensin Wrote:And what Night Elf in their right mind would teach this to a BE?

Altruis in Nagrand as I said before, or even more likely, is an escaped Blood Elf, who split from Illidan. It's happened at least once with Altruis, and with Illidan actually -dead- a lot of them will probably look back on what they've done with disgust, and leave the legion. The second is far more likely however. *sage nod*
Looking over Altruis wiki page nothing gave me the impression that he'd be any nicer to a blood elf than any other night elf. Sure, gives his quest to anyone that walks up to him but... yeah.

As for Illidan's pups, of the first batch he trained only four survived, and of those one went bat-shit crazy. Besides, if any belf would turn into a fel-sworn I'd wager a guess that it'd be them. I mean they aren't training because they want to sacrifice themselves in the defense of their people, they just want the magic that comes with binding a demon to your soul and learning the secrets of the hunter path.

Not trying to say it's impossible for a blood elf to become one, but not only do I think it hard to find a belf which would actually want it (instead of taking the relatively easy way of warlocks or gorging on fel-blood) but finding someone to train him/her would be very challenging, as previously mentioned, hehe.
Pages: 1 2