Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: A Brief Message On Model Editing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings, my fellow CotHites. I have come here today to tell you a little bit about a technique known as "model editing".

After a Barrens Chat topic on Oblivion and mods, I thought of a legitimate question, which I inquired about to one of our friendly GMs. My question: "Do the GMs of this server allow model editing?" While the GM I spoke to was unable to give me an answer, a couple people in chat seemed intrigued when I spoke briefly about it.

Now, some of you are probably wondering "wtf is model editing?!" Well, model editing is a technique employed by various people to change the way something looks. A model is basically every graphic in game - trees, buildings, vehicles, NPCs, and yes, your character too. Even spells can be made to take on the form of another model. While model editing typically refers to the swapping of one model for another, some skilled artists out there have even developed their own skins to apply to models for a unique look.

Before I get into the uniques, let me give you the basics: http://www.mmowned.com/forums/simple-mo ... -male.html

The above link is an example of what can be done. In this work, someone changed the model of all gnome males in game to that of Forsaken males. While I would not recommend it on this server for RP reasons, it's there and can be done.

Spells are one of my favorite things to edit, as I even found the program to swap models at one point (no, I do not have it anymore, but I believe it's still somewhere on the MMOwned forums). An example: http://www.mmowned.com/forums/simple-mo ... 010-a.html

Spell editing ranges from simple model swaps to changing of colors (such as making all warlock fire spells into a green fel fire).

Some artists really like to show their skills off. Before Blizzard updated the default druid feral forms, a prodigal druid by the name Andrige made his own forms: http://www.mmowned.com/forums/simple-mo ... skins.html

As you can see, some great things can come of model editing. However, these can be abused as well, thus is why Blizzard bans those they find using them. Here, though, we have no intrusive, restricting rules (to my knowledge) that disallow the modding of the game.

Bare in mind that only -you- can see the model edits you install. For everyone to see the graphical differences, they would have to have the edit installed on their machine. Which, depending on which edits you choose, could make for strange consequences during your RP. I've had a lot of fun, though, editing spells and models for RP. On retail I had a Forsaken priest. Regardless of what I or many of you believe about the Forsaken and wielding some kind of holy power, at the time I believed they could only use the shadow. Thus, I edited all of my holy spells to have some kind of shadow effect (i.e. holy fire turned into shadow crash, an NPC spell).

I hoped all of you have found my post to be informative. Remember, model edit at your own risk and think of the ramifications in your RP. Above all else, have fun!

P.S. - The MMOwned forums have a wide array of model edits that can be downloaded, and typically with instructions. Or, if you don't like what they have available, do a little research and you should be doing your own edits in no time.
....I love you. After looking around on the site, I found some tools to work with and have successfully reskinned a Sin'dorei into a Quel'dorei. I've always wanted to see what Lene looked like as a High Elf. Good thing it's not visible to anyone else.

Cheers. :D
Oh man, I saw some sweet Warhammer models, axe, rifles shields. I am very tempted to play around with this.
I'm going to reiterate something that Mortiphobia said early in his poist; editing the models can result in bans from the retail game. It is considered as being against the EULA. The GMs have been consistent on this point. So if you play both here and on the retail servers (as I do!) please keep this in mind as well as the possible adverse effects it might have on your game!

Other than that, many Warcraft machinima artists make extensive use of model editing in their videos with amazing results!
...So this is OK'ed by the mods here? This is fantastic: I never knew that there was free software for modding (all I've used was the other stuff.)

Oh, and is it possible that if someone creates a particularly awesome/epic mod that it can be offered in the Downloads section as a RP addon?
The luck is probably being pushed on this, but it seems worth asking.

EDIT: This. Is. Epic. I replaced Gnomes with High Elves, and there was much entertainment involved.
I'm just posting to follow-up on this. Have any of you embraced model editing since I first posted this thread? The potential applications are staggering, and I'm curious as to if anyone has made use of this.
I am new here (my introduction will hopefully be done soon), but I've tinkered around with this stuff before and wanted to show you something.

http://www.mmowned.com/forums/world-of-w...aga-3.html

Yeah, added races. Yeowzahs. That's just crazy enough to work.

I've played around with the race swapping and the item swapping (walking around as anything you want gets unsettling pretty quickly).

A word of warning; mmowned.com has loads of information, but for a player reference, don't venture outside of the spells swapping or such. You can mess up your access to regular playing. Notably, world building.

Now, if the devs started doing this stuff here, I wouldn't be upset at all. A change of scenery is always a welcome site. But maybe once I start actually playing, I won't feel that way.
I just copied my WoW folder and renamed it.
That way, I have my Private server WoW (With model edits)
And my norm WoW.
Binkleheimer Wrote:I just copied my WoW folder and renamed it.
That way, I have my Private server WoW (With model edits)
And my norm WoW.
This is precisely what I do. I recommend it for everyone.
I'm okay with noggit, I've rebuild some villages and changed a little bit of terrain but I've never attempted something as grandeur as rebuilding a city, but rebuilding Sunchaser Village or Darrowshire is possible for me :) !

There's always the option of an admin adding a new phase in that allow's for a rebuilt lordaeron :P
I would like to see the Night Elf port on the coast northwest of Tirisfal (name evades me) with a redo, personally.

Question: Can you do this with minimal artistic skills?
-.-