Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Leila`s Introduction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player.:
I'm a mishmash of a gamer. I started early in life with solely consoles, and eventually got myself into PC gaming when my fiance (boyfriend at the time) introduced me to Neverwinter Nights and The Sims. I've been playing more and more computer games ever since.. and this definitely extended to MMOs as soon as they became a little more mainstream. I didn't start out as a roleplayer, but evolved into one after a while. The most I used to do in terms of roleplaying, in high school, was limited to some DBZ fanfics and D&D sessions.

When I hit college, and began playing WoW with my fiance (long distance relationship), is when roleplaying really began to take center stage in my life. In WoW, I have always been more of a PvE player. Raiding, alts, etc. That's mostly because my fiance is the one who introduced me to WoW, and that's what he did--so I played with him. Once I settled into a tight circle of college friends who were much more serious with their roleplaying, I began to really understand RP. I started with some forum RP with them, then eventually began to dabble with RP in WoW. Reading up on the lore was AWESOME, and I love the universe. Sadly, I don't like the majority of
communities on RP servers in live WoW. There isn't enough respect for immersion.

My priorities in MMOs have shifted over the years. I was, primarily, a PvE > crafting > PvP person. RP wasn't even a factor early on. In time, with a few different MMOs in which I dabbled in the past, that has changed to RP > PvE > crafting > PvP. Getting involved in the world is my number one priority.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?
I hail from New England in the US. Massachusetts, to be specific, but I consider New Hampshire the home of my heart. We're hoping we can move back there ASAP. English is my primary, and only true language. I've taken a few Japanese language courses, and continue to try and teach myself now that I'm finished college. Don't worry, though: I'm not one of those weeabos who tries to make their characters into anime Mary Sues. I just honestly love the language. :)

How did you get into Warcraft?:
As I said above, my fiance is the one who got me into Warcraft. I didn't even know what it, or Blizzard, was before he began to flip out after the announcement. He began explaining the fact that these RTS games (a genre I to this day do not understand or enjoy) were being transformed into an online roleplaying game. I was VERY skeptical, not only because of the RTS origins, but because I'd never heard of an online game like that before. Online NWN servers were the
closest I'd ever heard of it. Needless to say, he got it as soon as it came out (first year we were both in college) and I watched him play. I got hooked VERY shortly and got the game soon after he did. We played together for four-ish years, and I recently took a serious break from the game. I hold no illusions that I won't return for Cataclysm, but I question for how long. I'm a big lore junkie, which is kind of funny, because I have a horrible memory so I constantly have to ask him what happened where. I know quite a bit about the Warcraft universe at this point, but am no where near an expert.

What made you seek our server over others?:
As I said above, I don't like the majority of communities in RP servers on live WoW. There is NOT enough respect for immersion. Every single rule you have put into place says you care about immersion. You care about people being jerks OOCly. You actually moderate this place and make sure it is safe for roleplayers to settle into the world. I looked around online at various private WoW servers, and this is the only one that really caught my eye in regards to roleplaying.. which is my main concern. I like the fact that there are level caps if you don't create a character, and I love the more realistic approach to factions. Being able to speak with each other makes
much more sense; as does eventually working your faction up with other places for diplomacy reasons and whatnot.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:
All kinds. Tavern roleplay is admittedly the one with which I have the most experience, but I love RP any and everywhere. I haven't done much in the way of large group RP, but I'm so very willing to do it. I mostly have created characters that were involved (not romantically) in one story arc with a small group, but larger-scale types of stories have always appealed to me.

Adventure RP is something I have never found others with whom I could experience it, but I am very interested in trying that as well.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:
My favorite class is Mage. Mage was my main class in WoW for three years. I know and love it very well from a player's perspective. On top of that, I love magic and the dual-nature it has in the Warcraft universe.. so obviously I love magic classes.

As for races? Draenei are definitely my favorite race as far as lore goes. They're simultaneously atypical and incredibly typical in terms of fantasy cliches. They're your stereotypical always good, long-lived race; yet they condone borderline slavery (hi there Broken) and came from less-than-stellar roots. Their history of always being on the run is an interesting one to me, and I absolutely love their opinions on the Light and religion.

What are your expectations of this server?:
Well-crafted and cared for roleplaying. Actually living in the Warcraft world, instead of just playing a role once in a while, if people ever stop raiding long enough to boast about their killing (insert main boss) last week. More adherence to lore, that's actually enforced by the GMs on the server. A tight community that enjoys weaving stories together.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:
The thought of actually being moderated is what immediately stuck out in my mind. Not having to just ignore those who are blatantly breaking lore and immersion, and instead knowing that everyone on this server has applied for it and *wants* that same deep experience that I also came here to find.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:
**It's not a super-long one (at least for me), but it's a basic introduction to my character *before* she ends up in Stormwind. I'll give a brief overview at the end of this application of how she gets from this state to "shows up on SW's proverbial doorstep with a sign that reads 'please teach me'."**

Leila threw her shovel into the ground with a thunk!, and looked around wearily. Wiping her brow with a dirty gloved hand, she sighed. Being a farmer's daughter is far what she wanted to be, but be it she must. Her mother couldn't handle the farm by herself, not with her father gone at war. Shaking her head to get the thought of her father fighting out of her head, she went back to digging the new well.

As she kicked her shovel into the earth and lifted it over and behind her head, she began to think of what she wanted to be: a mage. Ever since she was a young child, Leila was fascinated by the world of magic. Her favorite activity was going to the various storytellers who would come to festivals, and listen to the wondrous stories of magi that could conjure flame from their fingertips or freeze a cup of water with a word. She wanted to go away, to Stormwind; study magic. Her parents always told her no. They couldn't afford to send Leila away, they couldn't bear to part with her. Stormwind was a long trip from their tiny farm in Westfall, and they needed all the help they could get. She couldn't begrudge them that--her parents were always kind and always made her feel loved.. but the one thing she wanted was out of reach.

She smiled ruefully as she remembered one time, when she was a young teenager. Rebellious, self-assured.. stars in her eyes. Leila was convinced she would make it to Stormwind all by her lonesome, and told her parents such. She trudged on out, and in only one day had made it to the bridge she thought lead to Elwynn Forest. Lo and behold, it belonged to Darkshire's entrance. She was quickly driven out by the spiders, infected wolves, and who knows what else those shadows that chased her were?! She limped home sheepishly, much to her parent's chagrin. They were not pleased to see her condition, but hopeful she would learn from this. If only they knew..

She never let go of her secret passion for magic—she never would. Even as Leila dug this very hole, she recited old magical phrases that she had read in a book. It was how she passed time, thinking of old lore and various book-learning. Her parents warned her she may be considered an upstart amongst the others her age, given how large of a drive to just learn she had. Leila didn't care: they all wanted to be farmers. She wanted to be a mage, not a farmer! She could plant along with the best of them, but she wanted to live in Stormwind, to wear robes and to have all of that knowledge at her fingertips...

The time passes quickly when one is thinking of the injustices made upon their person, and it was no exception with Leila. Before she knew it, the sun was already dipping into the horizon. She looked up and slammed her shovel into the mound of dirt beside her, pleased another droll day was complete. Being careful to take off her dirt-caked boots outside the cabin, she burst into a small log house full of the smells of liver pie.. again. That's all they could ever afford, it seemed. Leila briefly looked out the window, in the direction of the sun as well as Stormwind. I bet there's lots of different foods in Stormwind, even some spicy food.. She was quickly broken out of her daydreaming by her mother slamming the heavy cast-iron pan down on the table. Leila sat down, ready to explain another long day away to her mother.

“Yeah, I got a lotta work done on that well t'day, ma...”

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:
I know that despite the name, there is definitely Alliance RP on the server. I'm just wondering if there's any significant population imbalance (not that it matters for PvE stuff). Just to get an idea of how empty or full it would be on that side.

Also, the quick rundown I said I'd give in the story section is as follows: her father ends up dying in Northrend (shocker, that never happens) and after a few months, her mother dies because of the whole "a person doesn't live long after their spouse" deal. A little cliche, but her mom isn't that old and I needed to kill her off without some Orcs. After this, Leila looks at the farm and already knows what she will do. She sells the farm and uses the pitiful amount of money she got from it to pay for her travels to get to Stormwind and essentially shows up on the doorstep of the Mage Tower, asking for training. She doesn't even remotely resemble a prodigy, but she learns the basics quickly enough and is sent to Northshire to help with a wolf problem they've been having. Cue opening of WoW, and voila. :)
The population tends to shift a lot from day to day, mostly I think we see Alliance at the moment, but there shouldn't be a problem in creating some RP for the Horde.

That said, welcome to the server! I'm sure you'll fit right in!