Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Wiki Articles!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've been toying with the Conquest of the Horde wiki lately. While I've been playing mostly with my own pages (specifically, Piroska's article), I've been contemplating adding a little more content to the wiki to help flesh it out while updating a handful of articles that are a bit out of date. I have a handful of ideas of what should probably be added, but I'm a bit loathe to take the initiative without a little bit of direction.

So, I'm turning to the community for help. What do you want to see on the wiki? What do you think needs the most updating?

Things-to-Do!
  • Take a handful of the wonderful guides on this site and toss them into the wiki
  • Write up an article that explains the roll-based combat used on this site (I know that I personally spent some time looking for that self-same information!)
  • Update the lore articles that are specific to the server
  • Add a timeline that includes the major events that have transpired on this server (I didn't know that we were, what, two years off of the official timeline!)
  • Assist in getting more guild articles up

Note: if any staff member absolutely does not think that I should be doing this, please let me know! I do not want to step on toes.
Your help is definitely appreciated! Thank you for your awesome work thus far, already!
Might be a good idea to show us what you're updating the server-lore articles with though, just so there aren't any misstakes made, I know there's a lot of stuff on the forums no longer relevant due to the restart last year.

I'm not sure which roll system you've found (there's what, six-seven different on the forums?) but I suggest going with the basic one SinkMarylandSink posted ages ago, then people get to see that first and can later expand into the more advanced systems used by some guilds/members.

Heh, you might've already thought of this!

Great job at any rate, loved how your profile/guild page looks!
That's very impressive Piroska, great job. We really, really appreciate the help, heh!
I asked about doing this a long time ago and was told I wasn't allowed. Heh.

Well there is definetly outdated information in a lot of those pages, and since folks quote the wiki to justify their behavior, those spots need editing.
nexusphere Wrote:I asked about doing this a long time ago and was told I wasn't allowed. Heh.

Well there is definetly outdated information in a lot of those pages, and since folks quote the wiki to justify their behavior, those spots need editing.

It's allwowed, it's just like how Nostra said. We prefer that if people do this, they give us an idea of what they are editing. We do like the help, however, heh.
Kretol Wrote:Your help is definitely appreciated! Thank you for your awesome work thus far, already!
Thank you for making the GMs article a little more exact. I couldn't find the so-called Storyteller and Builder groups on the forums, so I was left floundering a bit. That was exactly the change the article needed.

Nostra Wrote:Might be a good idea to show us what you're updating the server-lore articles with though, just so there aren't any misstakes made, I know there's a lot of stuff on the forums no longer relevant due to the restart last year.
As a relatively new member to the community, I'm a little loathe to touch those without specific and very direct guidance. A lot of what I've learned about lore specific to Conquest of the Horde has been through the wiki, which -- as we've all noted -- is either out of date or just doesn't pertain any more.

If people can provide things or take the iniative themselves to update articles, that would be wonderful.

Regarding changes, there are so few each day (typically less than half a dozen) that you could probably just track what had been changed on the recent changes page. I typically leave notes on the talk page when I change anything significant (and it's a practice I encourage everyone to do on articles you don't "own") and reverting anything is fairly easy to do.

Nostra Wrote:I'm not sure which roll system you've found (there's what, six-seven different on the forums?) but I suggest going with the basic one SinkMarylandSink posted ages ago, then people get to see that first and can later expand into the more advanced systems used by some guilds/members.
My plan of attack was to provide a very general description of roll-based combat, how it works, and the general etiquette that is involved. I was then going to provide subsequent articles with variations (or specifics) that would be linked from the main article. All of these were going to be link under a new category (maybe Category:Guides or something; I hadn't made a firm decision) since no article should be without a category.

Nostra Wrote:Great job at any rate, loved how your profile/guild page looks!
Thankee, good sir! I've had one or two people already contact me asking how I did them, so maybe we'll see a few more mimicking the general layout. The breakdown of separate sections should probably be present in most articles, since it's the intended structure of wiki articles:
  1. Short description of topic
  2. Table of contents
  3. Subsequent headings and their content

nexusphere Wrote:I asked about doing this a long time ago and was told I wasn't allowed. Heh.
If you'd like, I could probably use assistance in updating different things. Wikis are intended to be open and inclusive, as the staff members have reiterated, so I can't see an issue with us working en masse. Is there any particular area where you'd like to start? My knowledge of server-specific lore is minimal, so if you have a firmer grasp on that it would probably be optimal for you to work on those!
Piroska Wrote:
Kretol Wrote:Your help is definitely appreciated! Thank you for your awesome work thus far, already!
Thank you for making the GMs article a little more exact. I couldn't find the so-called Storyteller and Builder groups on the forums, so I was left floundering a bit. That was exactly the change the article needed.
Actually, in the forums the Builder and Storyline GMs now are in one user group called "Content GMs". From this group, I think it was only DuskWolf and Anski that were Builder and the rest were Storyline, I think. I am not sure though, someone correct me if I am wrong. :)
Silly Dastmo, that was specifically the change that Kretol had made for which I was thanking him. If you looked at the GMs article, you would see that he had combined the groups and included a note that specified just that.
I am sad that I'm not listed as a current GM. It's like those dern in-game announcements.
Apologies, Rensin; I had you listed as a forum GM, but somehow missed you as a current GM. That has been rectified.
Hehe, thank you Piroska.
Always a pleasure, m'dear. Again, my apologies for missing you. It was unintentional!

That said, do we have anyone with the requisite knowledge to update the lore articles? Those are pretty high on my list of things that should probably be done. I'm also going to adopt the unofficial timeline compiled on WoWWiki and include the server-specific events. Is there anything that people would like added to that timeline to help flesh it out? Any significant events that they missed?

Also, I created a fun little quote template intended to throw quotes into articles. I created it specifically for the As Seen by Others section of Piroska's article, but maybe other people can find some uses! Maybe I'll find quotes from the lore-based threads and toss those into the appropriate articles. It's a modified version of the template used on both WoWWiki and Wikipedia. Whee.
I could sit down and do the lore article then, it'll have to wait until monday though.

Sounds like you got the roll guide(s) covered, I like the sound of the layout there.
Thank you very much, Nostra!

After a discussion with a neophyte member of the server (at least, I assume he was?), I decided that having a guild article would be helpful. I remembered that I had looked for information about making guilds when I first joined, so that may be helpful. The only things that I can think of noting are:
  • Guilds only require on signature
  • No, you don't need special permission ahead of time when creating a reasonable guild
  • Guard-based guilds focused on enforcing rules to the populace within a town or city are not permitted -- ever

The latter point bring up an interesting question. The person I spoke to was told that his guild was not allowed because it included the word 'guard'. When I spoke to him, I got the impression that he was talking about an organization with a name akin to the National Guard, which is a volunteer military force similar to what people were recommending that he create. Is the use of the word 'guard' not allowed as well? I'd like to clarify that on the article if that's a rule to avoid future confusion.

Also, are there any rules that I should be aware of when creating that article?
Pages: 1 2 3