Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Esper`s Introduction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player.:
Well I'm 25, and I've been primarily gaming in MMOs for the past few years, having graduated up from consoles when my budget couldn't support my xbox binges. I'm easy-going, love to draw, I'm probably a bit too sarcastic, and I have a notoriously bad habit of picking up my herding stick when I see a bunch of cats milling about. And I'm a huge food nerd.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?
I'm from the US, and I'd like to think it goes without saying that I also speak English, but I think we've all played retail at some point and know better.

My boyfriend still gets annoyed when he sees "15 items or less" at the grocery store. BUT that's a can of worms for another day.

How did you get into Warcraft?:
I bought the game circa release as a Christmas gift for my little brother. I even named the account after him so he'd remember it easier. I don't, however, recall if I ever actually let him -play- it, or if I just sunk his battleship right then and there after the loading screen. I've been playing ever since.

Was my first real stint in an MMO, and I was embarrassingly bad at it, but I stuck with it since I'd dabbled a bit with WCII & III, and eventually levelled a vanilla holy priest so apparently I like pain.

What made you seek our server over others?:
Back on retail I was rarely able to find time to get away for RP without constantly being summoned back to resolve some sort of problem. So I'd whine and moan about it, but RP would still get pushed to the side. And I'm sure I'm not the only one to fall into the "Man, [insert epic here] would be so awesome for RP! I should run [insert raid here] until my eyes bleed." My red proto drake that would be SO AWESOME FOR RP is still sitting in my inventory, unused.

Short story long, I was attracted to the pure focus on roleplay, the friendliness, and - simply - the lack of distractions. I'd like to RP from the bottom up; just like it was before I had years of baggage, and seven warehouses full of dusty epics.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:
I'm a bit too shy for tavern roleplay, so I usually end up doing a bit of adventuring - or trying to stumble across other solitary players in the wilds. I do like event-based RP, but I've always been more on the organizing end, rather than participating.

I like plotting, scheming, and diplomatic-type intrigues more than I do combat-based roleplay - but I'm open to most anything, and always enjoy trying new things.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:
Picking a favorite is tough, but I'd have to go with human mage. While I enjoy the lore of some of the other races, I'm drawn to humans for their malleability. I'm also not as keen on the timeline as I should be, and when I've played races with longer life spans, like elves or draenei, I usually end up making them about as exciting as a wet log.

I like mages for how I've always imagined their personalities/society to be. Smart, poncey, curious and prideful. It's also how I perceived Dalaran; full of secrets, politics, and complete with seedy underbelly. I'm sure I took a lot of liberties with it.

What are your expectations of this server?:
I'm hoping I can fall in with the crowd here and in-game, and meet some other like-minded roleplayers.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:
Humility. I've always tried to preach the merits of having "ordinary characters in extraordinary circumstances," but you guys word it much better.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:
((From the 'journal' of my mage, Jadiera. Not all of my writing is so wordy and mage-y, but that's simply the Way She Is.))

May 28: Stormwind Harbor

The air in the City hangs heavy today, and the fetid stench of the canals has begun to creep its way up the damp stones to linger about my senses. Soon it will settle in on the sheen of sweat breaking out across Jaqen's brow, and cling to his skin until his next bath (which might be quite some time, judging by his standards of hygiene). I'm of no mind to suffer the same fate, so I've instructed him to press on hard enough that we reach the Honor and Conquest by midday.

We sail for Northrend at first light tomorrow, as we need to reach the shores of Icecrown in a few days' time with a much-needed shipment of healing elixirs. We've all but finished repairs on her hull, and I pray they will be enough to sustain us for the journey.

Jaqen had presented the idea of delivering the goods via portal, so I explained to him (at some length) the Kirin Tor import laws and taxes. And if that wasn't enough, it is unreasonable to expect a mage of my skill to be able to maintain a portal long enough for a dozen men and four times as many crates to make it safely to their destination. The risks are many, and it would be unfortunate to lose my men (or my cargo) in the process. I also assured the good Captain that he would be the last I fished from the Twisting Nether. He quickly warmed to the idea of traditional transport.
-----
May 30: Valgarde Keep

Dawn arrived this morning ushering in disaster at her heels. Skimping on the hull repairs has proved a grave mistake; one that has forced us to turn inland towards Valgarde Keep, and I am painfully reminded that borrowed time will eventually collect its dues. Shipmaster Ar'Sereg fears pressing on into the wastelands of the frozen north in our current state, and I am disinclined to contend with her on this matter.

Our deadline swiftly approaches, and we will not be able to reach our destination in time for the tournament. Were we even sea-worthy, the Crusade has no need of our services for another month, so there is little sense in pressing on. I've sent a messenger with word that our goods will not arrive, and I'm now tasked with trying to retain what losses I can. Perhaps the soldiers at the keep will be ammenable to the prospect of trade, and I will be able to offload some of the perishables. Will write more later, I must present myself to Vice Admiral Keller.
---
We were unable to make port at Valgarde. While the frenzied Vice Admiral was sympathetic to our situation, he proclaimed that Valgarde was currently under seige, and to moor there would be perilous at best. An aggressive, skywards gesture emphasized his point - thus directing my gaze to the suspended skeleton of an Alliance warship on the cliffs above; a chilling trophy of the invading Vrykul.

It was at his suggestion (I write this with my tongue against my cheek - for it was rather like a requisition) that we retraced our steps and limped into Westguard by nightfall, accompanied by a portion of Valgarde's overflow of wounded soldiers.

My men and I were afforded tents near the center of the camp, farthest away from the unsettling sounds of cannonfire - for that I am thankful. Captain Jaqen and I were both visibly pleased when the priests arrived to transport the injured men. I was glad for their safe arrival, and he was thrilled that they no longer remained to "ooze all over his floorboards."
-----
June 2

By some small gift of the Light, I managed to barter most of the fish and vegetables in exchange for the supplies needed to fortify our ship.

I intended to hold the Dalaran wine as leverage in case of an unforseen emergency, but keeping Aloir away from it proved nearly as futile as trying to stop Ancel from skirting away into the dungeons to ogle the imprisoned Vrykul. I was, however, eventually persuaded to part with it for an exceptionally curious find.

The day after our arrival, a squadron of men returned amidst a flurry of activity. Their armor was thoroughly charred in places, and many were severely burned, but I was surprised to see that they trailed wagons loaded with some of the largest reptillian eggs I've seen since my time in Un'Goro. They had been retrieved from what is rumored to be an ancient proto-dragon breeding ground, and I quickly set about trading the entirety of our wine for an impressive half-dozen specimens to take home with me; despite the disgruntled contentions of Mage Lieutenant Malister and my sober and morale-trodden crew.

I'm not certain the eggs will survive the journey without the unnatural heat of their native environment, but I have sent word ahead to an old colleague of my uncle's - a dwarven woman whom I hope will be able to offer some assistance in this matter. I pray the letter arrives ahead of me, and that the Honor and Conquest raises no more complications as we break swiftly for Ironforge.

- J.Halding

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:
Sorry for writing a small novel! I think the internet invented the 255 character limit just for me, specifically. Sorry for ruining it for the rest of you.
Welcome-- To Conquest of the Horde!
Hello, my name is Walluce and I hope you have a fantastic time here with us on our humble roleplaying server. If you have any comments, concerns or questions not already answered on the wiki feel free to private message one of us colorful GM folk!

And a very nice story, by the way.

Happy roleplaying and I hope to see you in-game!