Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Terith`s Introduction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player.:
My name is Chris, I'm 20 yrs old (as of writing this ^^) and currently an unemployed student working on college. In my spare time I play video games, research/investigate random topics on the net, network, chill with people. I like all sorts of games, but RPG's and FPS's are my favorites. I also own a ton of books for various table-top rpg's but sadly never get to actually play =(

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?
Born and raised in the U.S.A. English is my only language.

How did you get into Warcraft?:
Way back when I was a wee lad around 6, 7? Whenever Warcraft 1 came out. Blizzard's Warcraft titles were a huge introduction into the world of fantasy and "swords and sorcery". I've been an avid fan of the games ever since, eating up the lore and when wondering what it would be like to see things from one the little guy's points of view. Next thing you know, my wish is fulfilled with World of Warcraft. Played it off and on for roughly 4 years, almost since it went retail.

What made you seek our server over others?:
I can see a great deal of professionalism here, which is something I admire not only in a role-play type setting but a private server for an MMO. I have experienced the worst of both scenarios over the years. A focus on nurturing creativity and unique ideas also seems to be a huge encouragement here.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:
Prior to WoW's release, I engaged in a great deal of tavern rp on a forum I frequented and had a blast. The only other highlight of my rp "career" was when I was a member of a Star Wars rpg using the Jedi Academy game as a medium, which was also supplemented by heavy forum use. It was a challenge trying to integrate an action/fps style game into an RPG (particularly with regards to combat) but I think that really encouraged me and the rest of the members to channel ideas and try to think outside the box to make the role-play as vivid and engaging as possible. Basically, I have found that I enjoy more relaxed roleplay as much as I do action-oriented - I believe both are equally important ingredients to an amazing story. As far as the number participating in a given RP, I have found it more comfortable and enjoyable to RP with groups of 2 or 3, or one other person. Too many people can imbalance participation, and make following along all the more stressful.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:
This is a toughie.
Class - mage. My favorite units in the Warcraft RTS games were the Human/Alliance side mages. I loved the High Elves as well, and certainly had high hopes to play a High Elf Mage when WoW hit retail (alas to my dissapointment.) I love magic and spellcasters, in any mythos. Mages, no matter their temperament, all study and love magic for its intellectual and practical rewards, and that's probably why I like them as opposed to druids or shamans whose magic is more spiritual. I also love nobility and aesthetic beauty. The elves seemed to have a natural affinity for all of the above.
I admit I wasn't much into the whole conversion into Blood Elves, and how the race has become a bit more perverted and well..evil (subjective, I know.) I also was 100% against them joining the Horde. When the BC was released, I rp'd my Blood Elf as an Alliance sympathizer. I'll always see them as rightfully belonging to the Alliance for some reason.

What are your expectations of this server?:
To rekindle all the great ideas I had about roleplaying in WoW, and have them come to fruition here where they sadly never came close on retail. It was difficult for me actually settle down and rp without sacrificing leveling, profession progress, pvp progress, getting gold, questing, raiding, helping people out - it just became too chaotic. Not to mention that monthly fee and a fear of "falling behind" also lended to an inability to focus more on roleplaying that I was able to. My hope is that this server will change that.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:
Denial of characters or character archetypes that do not belong in Warcraft lore. Nothing was more irritating than walking into a Silvermoon tavern on retail and seeing vampires, Prince Kael's long lost cousin(s), neko-elf combos, or vampire-neko-demon-ninja assassin elves that claimed to be the son of Aleria. Stuff that like really killed my RP buzz and I'm glad it's discouraged here.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:
[The instruction didn't specify this has to be Warcraft related, so I assume it can be about anything? Either way this is short piece I made which I suppose could take place in the Warcraft universe O_o]

Beyond

"That smell...I can't take it anymore." The anxiety stricken voice of a man, mature in his twenties echoed around the stoned walls of the chamber. It was so dark inside. The oil lamp was faint, casting its light on the desk it rested on and its contents - open books and papers covered in strange symbols and writing. The man crouched over and began to write again on a page in a smaller book, what looked like a diary. He panted and let out little sobs, gripping the pen with such force it was remarkable it didn't break in two. The distant echoing scream from the door behind him didn't seem to have any affect on him at all. Or maybe it did.

He put the pen down and closed the book after dating the entry. Rubbing his temples, he stood up and walked over to that door, the only other visible exit out of the room besides a smaller door in the ceiling accessed by a latter that could barely be made out in the dark corner. The light of the lamp bordered firmly at the perimeter of the desk. The man had no problem finding the larger door however, its iron handle which still had faint traces of caked blood on its surface. He had done this many times. Yet it never got any easier.

The door led into a long corridor, wrought in dark stone lined with torches. It was a decent walk before the next chamber. When he entered, she looked up at him from behind those black bars. She looked so helpless on the straw, dirty and soiled in clothes that were how old by now? Days? Weeks? The man rubbed his temple again.
"When did you last eat." he asked nervously.
"No! No more of your shit! Get me out of here, I am sick, I am in pain! My son needs me, I HAVE to get out of here, please I'll do whatever you want just please let me go!" she was disturbed and furious, tears streaming from her eyes leaving clear trails through the dirt on her face.

"No. It doesn't work like that. You know...I know. They know. You're going to die. Today." said the man. Anxiety in his speech was replaced by a rather matter-of-fact tone. The imprisoned woman shook the bars, screeching all manner of threats, her long, filthy black hair swaying all about her face. Under all that pain and anguish she was an attractive woman.
He enjoyed the prettier ones. He was average-looking; never good enough to warrant any special attention though. But he wasn't shallow enough to slaughter women out of some insane selfish envy. The mere thought made him chuckle before he took out a small piece of paper.
He muttered a few words and the woman's vigor wained. She staggered away from the bars and collapsed on the bed of hay. There was nothing but silence now, save the flicking of the flames from the torches. The man looked at her and smiled. Thoughts of perversion lifted his hand to unlock the cell.

"What are you doing Vincent?"

Vincent dropped the keys and flinched, turning to face the voice that was so strange, like a human voice but faintly twisted - alien. His back was against the bars and looked at the shadowy form. It always liked to appear at the most random times, never allowing Vincent to grow comfortable being in its presence.

"N-nothing, sire. I was merely getting her ready for you. She sleeps. And she is ready, but I just need to perform a few final body ritu-" Vincent was cut off.

"That won't be necessary. Unlock the cage, Vincent. You have done well, and more rewards will await you my dear." Vincent cringed at the words, feeling sick. It's voice almost sounded faintly as if other voices were talking with it in unison. He unlocked the cell door and stepped away. He wondered if he would be able to watch this time. He wondered who would be next. And he wondered how much more of his mind must be lost to gain knowledge of what lies beyond.

[OOC: This is a sample of my writing, but I'm fine with submitting toward a Gruntship application]

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:
Nothing I can think of =)
Welcome! Make sure you familiarize yourself with the rules, policies, and Frequently Asked Questions. Also, take time to explore the site and wiki! You'll be glad you did!

I'd also suggest having a look at the guides on the level of spelling and grammar expected on the server here.