Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: WHat is the Etiquette in This Situation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I find myself questioning what /roll etiquette is nowadays, and today a situation just made me question it even more.

I was running Mech for the daily with a PUG. When we kill an important mob, he drops a purple ring that is BoE. I'm forgetting the name of the ring exactly and I'm thinking that's for the better since it makes me sour thinking about it. But I digress.

Basically, because it was BoE, one member of the party insisted there be a greed roll on it for everyone who wanted it. But this ring was prettymuch made for Hunters or Ret pallies. I happened to be the Hunter of the group, and there was a Ret Pally, but aside from the two of us, the other person who rolled on the ring was a healer Pally who didn't even need it to equip. He won it, of course, and then like a jerk proceeded to brag about it for a good portion of the run. If I didn't need the Sha'tar rep I would've left the group.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought whatever the equipment drop, if there are members of the party that can actually use it and wear it immediately, whether BoE/P, those members get a chance to roll between themselves without interference from people who just want them to have or sell. Rolling in general seems to still be a complicated issue in Live but I thought I knew the basics of it: Everyone hits Greed or Pass unless they need it if it's Green, then they hit Need. If it's blue BoP, you Pass unless you need it and if everyone passes, they /roll for a shard. I guess because I've never run into a purple BoE in a dungeon situation before (in nearly three years of playing the game! Go figure), I'm just feeling a little stumped. And have sour grapes because A) I'm probably never going to see that ring again and B) the jerk who won it lorded it over us who could've used it.
Thats just PuG greed for you. Folk are fine to be fair with blues and greens, but the moment they see an epic, all hell can break lose. They just want to make the cash on the AH sadly. :( Had an entire 15-man UBRS run once fall apart one pull from General Drak cause a pair of epic BoE pants dropped.
PuGs=ftl
Runs with friends=FTW!
I can't understand why freinds would do that, there will be other chances for gold, you know?
The only universal looting rule I've ever found is that a person will take anything and everything the party will let him get away with.

I remember the dreaded Pre-BC days. Back in the day the rule that most groups followed was the "One set, one blue" rule, put in place so that one person couldn't hoard all of the loot in the instance. If he grabs a blue early, he gets it, but he still has the option of picking up his set piece at the end if it happens to drop. It was fair on the surface.

I remember a particular Scholomance run where this rule failed to do its job. At the very end of the instance, the boss dropped the Devout crown and his blue wand. The Priest get the crown by default, naturally, and it was an upgrade for him. Having gotten nothing during the run, I asked for the wand, but the Priest stated that he should get to roll on it too, saying "It's one set, one blue, correct?" Essentially, using the rule against what it was designed for, and hoarding more stuff for himself. Despite the fact that half the group called him out on being a selfish sod, the group leader agreed to let him roll, and naturally enough I lost.

Keep in mind this was during my streak of sixteen instance runs where, having just dinged 60, I didn't get a single upgrade from the trash greens I leveled up in. Needless to say, I was very pissed.

Nowadays I refuse to play the PvE end-game of an MMO for these exact reasons. However, if you insist on doing so, my only advice is to run with people you trust to not be greedy. Barring that, anticipate the stupidity and selfishness that saturates the human race. Games like WoW tend to bring out the worst in people.
Eh, the internet in general tends to bring out the worst in people. That whole "You can't reach me to slap me" thing lets otherwise mature people behave like G.D. Idiots more often than usual.

Typically, I do PUGs because I don't have much of a choice if I want to get something done. Even when I have a character in a guild it's like I can't get a decent group together for a run, which is just mind-boggling to me especially when it's dealing with one of the Dailies. I have a guild to satisfy my raiding needs, and I usually only go into regular or heroic dungeons if there's a quest or rep reason for it. Don't much care for loot but in this particular case, I just happened to see something I wanted and like a page out of Murphy's Law of Warcraft, was denied.

I've never heard of the "one blue, one set piece" rule. But I remember a time when the leader of the dungeon would take on Master Loot at the end of Scholo, Strat or any of those other formerly high level places, and distribute the drops based on who was actually in need of it. If more than one person needed it, then there was a roll, but otherwise the Master Looter would usually distribute things fairly. And we made sure from the start whether or not we had a DEr in the group, otherwise drops no one needed would be subject to a greed roll.

Speaking of DEing: There was only one other time when someone pissed me off as it pertained to loot in a dungeon--again back when Stratholme was one of THE dungeons to run. I went there with a friend, two of his friends, and some random Gnome Rogue we agreed to let in the run. He had a sob story about how he was hurting for money and gear after his ex-girlfriend sold and stole all of his off his character. There were some great drops on this run but most of it we didn't need, and the Rogue stated he could DE things, so we let him grab it when no one else said they needed it. Eventually I noticed that he wasn't exactly sharding those items, so I asked aloud if we were going to wait until the end of the run to roll on shards. This shrimpy little Ninja proceeded to explain to us that we all had a choice when we started our characters to become Enchanters, so it wasn't up to him to provide us with dust and shards from the effort. I quickly pointed out to him that it would be like me, the Priest of the group, not healing him because he had a choice to make a character with healing powers from the get-go. We replaced him soon after a heated argument, and I could see why his ex-girlfriend might pull one over on him.

Even before I knew what the heck I was doing in a group in the game, I knew the etiquette about DEing in dungeons. And I feel your pain on the sixteen instance runs, Grakor. I quit WoW for a while because I spent several months running with groups into those dungeons for pieces of the Devout Set, and the only thing I had to show for it was the belt and bracers. And back then I couldn't stand being in raids so I only experienced a few before grinding for gear became too teeth-gnashing for me.

Ah well. After a good night's rest, I'm well over last night's Ninja scenario. And I know one jerk I'll never group with again.
Ah, the joy of pick-up groups. Part of the reason I never managed to level more than one character to 70, and even that was painfully slow. On Live I'll now only join a group if I know most of the people in it, which is really unfortunate, since there are nice people on Live that I haven't met.
Qaza Wrote:Ah, the joy of pick-up groups. Part of the reason I never managed to level more than one character to 70, and even that was painfully slow. On Live I'll now only join a group if I know most of the people in it, which is really unfortunate, since there are nice people on Live that I haven't met.

Like me! ^_^

Truth be told, I've met some of the nicest people through PUGs. In fact, when I got the 5 grand to do my Epic Flight Quest for my Druid, I did the entire quest chain in one day because at the end, a very nice PUG answered my call to do the Heroic Sethekk Halls. Everyone was well-mannered and we only died once on our way to the Raven God. I've got many past and present instances of the kindness of strangers in WoW. Just every once in a while I run into a jerk that makes me frown mightily.
Qaza Wrote:Ah, the joy of pick-up groups.

Yes, but don't forget that we PvPers have the same problem.
*was always in the SCATTER! group*